I’d like to share an apple celery smoothie recipe that’s surprisingly delicious. My favorite part of this smoothie is the fennel, a tasty herb that reminds me of black licorice. Yet, I also love that it’s low in sugar and insanely energizing as well.
My love for Good & Plenty candy led me down a plant powered path to find a great smoothie recipe with a black licorice flavor. This recipe checks all the boxes: fun new ingredients, fresh flavor, low in sugar, and refreshing to the core.
In fact, I love this recipe so much I’ve included in our new meal planner called Rawk the Year. Rawk the Year features over 400 recipes, weekly meal plans, personalized shopping lists, access to all of our cleanses and more. Try it free for 14 days and see what you think! Now…what was I going to say about celery? Ah, yes…
Celery Smoothie Health Benefits
I know this smoothie may get a bad rap to start, with celery in the title, yet hear me out. The celery juice fad wasn’t just for fun. Celery is loaded with health benefits, including:
- Antioxidants– Celery has at least 12 different types of antioxidants in just 1 stalk.
- Digestive Aid– This is a great veggie to eat daily as it has 5 grams of soluble fiber in 1 cup, which keeps things moving.
- Helps reduce inflammation– The older I get, the more easily my body can succumb to inflammation. Celery helps fight this, making this celery smoothie a must on the menu when I’m training.
- Alkalizing effects– The minerals in this veggie can help neutralize acidic foods we eat.
- Full of vitamins and minerals– While celery is mostly water, it’s also got vitamins A, C, and K, along with potassium and folate.
Who knew this simple, whole food could be such a force for health and wellness?! I love knowing the benefits my body is getting from this celery smoothie recipe. Scientists have actually studied celery extract as an antibacterial and antimicrobial agent against treating MRSA (methicillin-resistant S. aureus) according to the National Library of Medicine.
Low Sugar Celery Smoothie Recipe
If you’ve ever gone on the hunt for a great low carb/low sugar green smoothie, look no further. A fruit or veggie is considered a low glycemic option (low in sugar) if 1 serving has a glycemic index score of less than 55. Check out the glycemic index of the ingredients in this celery smoothie recipe:
- 1 cup spinach: less than 1
- ¼ fennel bulb: 16
- 1 celery stalk: 15
- 1 green apple: 38
- ¼ inch fresh ginger: 15
- juice from 1 lemon: 20
My blood sugar’s doing a happy dance knowing this celery smoothie won’t raise it! This recipe can be a great afternoon pick-me-up, or even a refreshing evening treat to help stabilize the body’s blood sugar for the night.Print
This recipe has a different flare to it. I’m kinda known for making “hardcore” smoothies, yet I promise this celery smoothie recipe has a refreshing flavor! If you like black licorice (which I do!), then this recipe will hit the spot.
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 fennel bulb, cored and roughly chopped*
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 medium green apple, cored
- 1/4” piece fresh ginger
- juice of 1 lemon (can use whole lemon)
1. Blend spinach, water, and lemon juice (or whole lemon) together until juice-like consistency is reached.
2. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
*Only use the white part of the fennel bulb. The green stalk and sprigs may be used as garnish.
Keywords: apple celery smoothie
Want More Low Sugar Smoothies?
Check out my Veggie Cocktail Smoothie and also my Fat Burning Smoothie for some other great celery options. If you’re looking for ways to decrease your sugar consumption, I’ve got you covered below! Here are a few of my other low sugar smoothie favs:
Cherry Smoothie: I love the balance of flavors in this berry-filled smoothie recipe.
Summer Melon Smoothie: This smoothie tastes like all the best flavors Summer has to offer + fresh health benefits.
Blackberry Smoothie: The perfect amount of sweetness makes this low sugar smoothie a definite winner.
Fat Burning Smoothie: Don’t let the name fool you; this is delicious + nutritious.
Does this celery smoothie recipe excite you or scare you? Leave a comment below letting me know if this is a make it, or pass on it for you, I’d love to know!