Chia seeds are a staple of the plant-based diet— and have grown on me over the years. I read the book Born to Run, then instantly became hooked on chia seeds. I put chia seeds in most of my smoothies, as well as bring them on long trail runs in an agua fresca drink. Chia seeds are a superfood, so get ready to drink to your health with this chia seed smoothie recipe.
What makes chia seeds a superfood?
According to the US National Library of Medicine, chia seeds contain healthy omega-3 fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, protein, dietary fiber and vitamins, as well as minerals. These tiny seeds also contain some potent antioxidants. And as an upside they are pretty mild-tasting, and shouldn’t alter the taste of your green smoothie, making them a perfect addition.
Bottom line: chia seeds make an excellent fitness buddy.
Why I put chia seeds in smoothies
I started adding chia seeds to smoothies to up my protein + healthy fat intake. They keep me full longer as well as help process the natural sugar from fruits I add to smoothies. This helps me avoid a mid-morning sugar crash.
Chia seeds also act as a great smoothie thickener, so if your blended smoothie comes out a bit thin, toss in a tablespoon of chia seeds, then blend again. This will thicken that smoothie right up.
If you’re using a non high-powered blender, place a tablespoon of chia seeds (per smoothie serving) in a bowl, then add in 3 tablespoons of water. Mix, then let sit for 5 minutes. The chia seed + water mixture will turn into a gel, making it easier to blend. Chia seeds in smoothies act a little like raspberry seeds, so you want to make sure they are blended well to avoid getting them stuck in your teeth!
Other uses for chia seeds
Chia seeds are an important part of a plant based diet, because they are super healthy as well as super versatile. Here are a few ways to use them:
- The coconut chia pudding recipe in my Fresh Start Autumn cleanse turns them into a tapioca-like snack.
- They make a great topping for any smoothie bowl.
- Use them as a great workout recovery quencher in this chia fresca drink.
- Replace eggs in a variety of baked goods with a vegan chia-egg, which I talk about in my Simple Green Meals cookbook.
- Make a healthier strawberry jam recipe using chia seeds
- Add to protein bars for a health punch on a busy day
- Turn your next smoothie into a meal replacement with the addition of chia seeds
If you can’t feel my love for chia seeds yet, then know that it is 1 of three ingredients in my very own plant based protein powder, Protein Smoothie Boost! I believe in these powerful seeds, and you should too. Blend up the chia seed smoothie below, or add them to your next smoothie creation, then leave a comment letting me know how you liked them. I love your feedback!
Chia Seed Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 orange - peeled
- 1/2 cup pineapple - frozen
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Blend spinach, water, and oranges together until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Use at least one frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.
- Swap chia seeds with 1 serving Protein Smoothie Boost
Workout smoothie recipes
If you’re looking for more smoothie recipes to enhance your workout game, then check out this delicious list: