With all the uncertainty of how and when we’re getting our groceries right now, a weekly meal plan + shopping list is challenging. I decided to share my signature chipotle veggie bowl recipe as well as give you a tested guide on how to build your own veggie bowl. With this guide, you’ll win over all the members at your dinner table, because everyone can make this bowl their own.
The guide to a perfect veggie bowl
We’ve all been to enough fast casual restaurants to know the basic principles of a build-your-own-veggie-bowl. You start with a base, typically a starch or grain. Then add in some roasted veggies + leafy greens, and finally top with protein and fun toppings. Since I’m a visual person, I created a printable guide to the best veggie bowl every time. Any veggie bowl I create, including the chipotle veggie bowl recipe below, uses this guide. So easy, so delicious, and so satisfying in a few easy steps:
- Download + print the Build your own Veggie Bowl PDF here
- Scroll through the veggie bowl recipes below for inspiration
- Decide what to make and then head to the store. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, that’s okay because you can always mix and match with this guide.
- If you want an exact recipe, then I’ve included the chipotle veggie bowl below.
Inspiration! 6 veggie bowl recipes
To help get those creative juices flowing, I’ve got 6 great veggie bowl recipes below. Tweak them in a way that works best for you, or scroll to the bottom of this post to start with my chipotle veggie bowl recipe:
Grilled Squash Bowl
This bowl includes brown rice, Brussels sprouts, summer squash, sweet potatoes, as well as avocado to top.
Chipotle Veggie Bowl
This bowl includes brown rice, black beans, roasted peppers and onion, romaine, guacamole, cashew cream, salsa, and lime. This is my copycat recipe of my favorite meal at Chipotle. I’ve included the recipe below too since it’s sooooo good!
Simple Green Bowl
This bowl includes brown rice, asparagus, my fav recipe for Brussels sprouts, parsley, and walnuts, then the whole bowl is smothered in a coconut sriracha sauce. Get the exact recipe from my book, Simple Green Meals.
Happy Vegetable Bowl
This bowl includes quinoa, Brussels sprouts, kale, sweet potato as well as a delicious coconut Sriracha sauce. Get the recipe here.
What is quinoa? This ancient seed is one of my favorites to use in a veggie bowl because it’s light, gluten free, and packed with protein! This base is a great swap if you’re looking for a non-rice option in the chipotle veggie bowl recipe.
Sesame Celery Bowl
This bowl includes fresh spinach, chickpeas, celery, carrots, cucumber, green onions, avocado, almonds and then is topped with a spicy dressing. Get the exact recipe from my book, Simple Green Meals.
Teriyaki Veggie Bowl
This bowl is packed with flavors from the brown rice, squash, broccoli, cabbage, to the pineapple and tofu. I suggest doubling or quadrupling the recipe so you can have leftovers throughout the week for easy meal prep. This bowl reheats nicely and almost comes alive more, kinda like leftover Italian food. 🙂
Veggie bowl sauces
I live for a good sauce. No matter what veggies are in the bowl, the sauce has to be perfect. I’ve been known to add my own sauces to takeout food, so that I can take it to the next level. This chipotle veggie bowl is then topped with cashew cream, guacamole, and salsa. It doesn’t have to be fancy to taste amazing! Here are a few of my fav sauces for veggie bowls:
Perfect these sauce recipes, and then turn any veggie bowl into a gourmet party in your mouth.
Will this chipotle veggie bowl recipe make it onto your next meal plan? If so, don’t forget to rate + review it below. Especially if you customize it; seriously, I love hearing how you make these recipes your own!
Chipotle Veggie Bowl
- 1 cup brown rice - cooked
- 1/4 cup black beans - drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper - chopped into strips
- 1/4 yellow onion - chopped
- 1/4 cup romaine lettuce
- 2 tbsp guacamole
- 2 tbsp cashew cream - or vegan sour cream
- 2 tbsp salsa
- lime - optional
- Cook brown rice as directed on packaging. (you can make more for leftovers too)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, then add chopped bell pepper and chopped onion. Cook until onions are translucent and peppers are soft. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the veggie bowl: start with brown rice on the bottom, then layer with cooked veggies, lettuce, guacamole, cashew cream, salsa, and black beans. Don't be afraid to add more of your favs. Add a fresh squeeze of lime juice before serving.