My weight loss smoothie recipe is the second episode from our new wellness series called Fuel your Metabolism— where I’ll show you how to boost your metabolism using plant-based whole foods.
The #1 question I get at Simple Green Smoothies is…
Will a smoothie help me lose weight?
There are TONS of smoothies and shakes out there claiming to do this, but forget the labels and ads… and think about what’s gonna work for YOU.
When it comes to a weight loss smoothie, it’s gotta hit 3 things for me to call it a winner:
- It must be affordable to continue doing this every single day.
- It has to deliver the results it promises: boost my metabolism, keep me full and not hangry, actually nourish my body, etc).
- It’s gotta taste great (and not be loaded with tons of sugars, artificial flavors or “fake sugars” to trick your tastebuds and ravage your cravings). I want to crave this day after day and feel better when I have it!
The recipe I’m sharing here helped me lose 7 pounds when I was a young exhausted mom of 2 under 4…with no energy and a few post baby (by a few generous years) extra pounds I needed to lose. They say “you’ve gotta exercise to lose the weight”, but when you’re too tired to do that— you’ve gotta try something else. And this is the secret sauce to jump start my energy levels and my weight loss journey.
Homemade metabolism boost shake
Today, I want to share a weight loss smoothie that I’ve been using as a breakfast meal replacement smoothie. And yes, it’s a green smoothie because these are the BEST way I’ve found to lose weight naturally AND feel great while doing it.
Unlike most “weight loss smoothies” (which require expensive powders, artificial ingredients and taste chalky and nasty… and leave you hungry) this one is the complete opposite. It truly tastes good and is good for you. You can drink they smoothie every morning for breakfast, which is a great way to set a healthy routine for your day.
I’ve also had this for lunch as a meal replacement smoothie too. Some days I just don’t have time to make lunch and a quick smoothie is the way to go. Other days, I’ll sip this down while doing dishes, driving the kids to practice, running errands, after a long trail run, you name it— the beauty of a smoothie is you can “eat and run.”
Top weight loss foods to blend
If leaning up if your goal, the ingredients you use in your smoothie can work against you… or for you. I’m gonna break down the ones I used in this smoothie to help you see WHY I used them to hit my summer body goals: turn my fat into muscle and have the energy to workout.
Spinach: Full of phytonutrients and fiber to minimize any blood sugar spikes from the natural sugars in the smoothie.
Almond milk: Contains a little bit of protein and promotes a creamy smoothie base.
Banana: Adds a little natural sweetness to give you an energy boost.
Almond butter: Curbs your appetite and helps your digestive system
Cacao powder: Boosts your energy levels and metabolism
Hemp hearts: Have twice as much protein as chia seeds.
Cinnamon: helps regulate your blood glucose levels. The last thing you want from your smoothie is a sugar rush, which can give you quick energy and then have you crash real hard.
Cayenne pepper: Helps curb your appetite and boost you metabolism naturally.Print
This weight loss smoothie uses all natural ingredients to kick start your metabolism and burn fat. We’re using all plant-based ingredients to get you the results you want for your life!
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1 cup fresh baby spinach
2 TBS cacao powder
2 TBS almond butter
1 TBS hemp hearts
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash cayenne pepper
- Add 1 heaping handful of spinach (about 1 cup) to the blender.
- Next, add unsweetened almond milk and blend until all leafy chunks are gone.
- Peel and add 1/2 banana to add a little sweetness and natural sugars to give you an energy boost.
- Scoop almond butter into the blender to add in healthy fats and protein.
- Next, add the cacao powder, which is really gonna get your energy soaring and metabolism burning thanks to the caffeine that is naturally present.
- Pour in hemp hearts, which have twice as much protein as chia seeds.
- Next we’re going to add a tsp of cinnamon which can help regulate your blood glucose levels.
- Last, add in a pinch of cayenne pepper, which helps curb your appetite and boost you metabolism naturally.
- Blend everything up in the blender well and serve.
If you prefer your smoothies extra cold, feel free to pour smoothie over a glass of ice.
Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to enjoy.
Keywords: weight loss smoothie, meal replacement smoothie, metabolism smoothie, fat burn smoothie
Wanna win Rawk the Year?
If you’re serious about making healthy habits stick, this is for YOU! One lucky rawkstar will win the following…
- Rawk the Year: Summer Collection enrollment ($99 value) for FREE! You’ll get weekly plant-based meal plans, access to our Thrive Summer Live Community Reset, Wellness Coaching and a blueprint to live your best life.
- $25 gift card to use the Official Simple Green Smoothies Shop for some new smoothie swag like mason jars, rose gold stainless steel straws and wood lids.
- Winner will be chosen next week and shared in our newsletter.
How to enter:
- Make the Weight Loss Smoothie recipe (it takes just 7 minutes!)
- Leave a review in the comments below telling me how you liked it
- Take a pic of you with your smoothie and tag us on Facebook or Instagram (@simplegreensmoothies)