If you’re looking for something with a crunch + smoky flavor that is delicious AND plant based, then I’ve got a coconut bacon recipe for you. And it pairs perfectly with this BLT sandwich.
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup unsweetened wide-flaked coconut strips
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 1 whole avocado, divided into 4 pieces
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 leaves of lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together in a small bowl, tamari, maple syrup, and liquid smoke.
- Place the coconut strips in a bowl and pour the tamari mixture over top. Toss gently to coat. Sprinkle the paprika, salt and black pepper over top, then gently toss again.
- Spread the coconut mixture evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Lightly toast the sandwich bread.
- Mash 1/4 avocado each on 4 slices of bread.
- Top with tomato, coconut bacon, and lettuce. Serve immediately.
Swap maple syrup with honey to make vegetarian (not vegan)
Can use gluten-free bread in place of regular bread
- Category: Meal
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: Vegan BLT, coconut bacon, BLT