During this season of stuffy noses and sore throats, we created a soothing recipe for Elderberry Popsicles. This naturally sweetened popsicle is full of cold and flu fighting ingredients. We made this natural remedy into a popsicle to maximize its relief-giving potential and make it fun for kids to enjoy as well.
Fighting a Sore Throat through Elderberry
Black Elderberry can be cooked and turned into a syrup. This syrup is used to treat cold and flu symptoms through its many nutrients: antioxidants, vitamin A, potassium, vitamin C, and fiber. This syrup is a great addition to green smoothies, Smoothie Cubes with Elderberry Syrup, or taken by the spoonful once a day.
You can buy elderberry syrup at most drug stores nowadays. Just make sure to read the labels to see what they actual put into it and how much elderberry is actually in it. You can also make your own elderberry syrup for a fraction of the price.
In our Elderberry popsicles for sore throats, the syrup works with other natural ingredients to relieve cold symptoms and boost the immune system at the first signs of a cold, or even once the cold has already been caught.
( If you’re eye balling those “popsicle sleeves” and wondering where you can get them.. check them out in our Rawkstar Smoothie Shop. )
Popsicle Ingredient Super Powers
This Elderberry popsicle recipe has a varsity list of ingredients, each chosen specifically for their flu-fighting powers. Drum roll please….
- Echinacea: shortens the duration of a cold and reduces the odds of developing a cold.
- Raw Honey: raw, local honey adds a load of antioxidants, as well as antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Basically it provides energy and bacteria-fighting molecules to the body. It is also a natural soother for sore throats. (Check out this great article on raw vs. processed honey)
- Fresh Orange Juice: contains vitamin C, a vitamin giant in combating sickness.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: also full of vitamin C, because we can’t get enough.
- Elderberry Syrup: antibacterial, anti inflammatory, and antioxidant properties that make it a great addition to any cold/flu fighting remedy.
Click here to jump over to my homemade Elderberry Syrup recipe
Wellness Through Plants
Have we convinced you to make these pops and ease your sore throat? On top of the rawkstar ingredients in these popsicles, they are also naturally sweet (thanks, honey!), and a delicious treat.
‘Take your medicine’ never seemed like less of a chore. But seriously, we want to feel good and fuel our bodies, which includes medicinal fueling as well. My family no longer relies on over the counter or prescription medicine to help us. We stick to natural remedies that have proven to be effective in keeping us healthy year-round.
Because I believe that plants can heal, I have curated an arsenal of natural remedies. I will shout about them from the rooftops because I use them on my family and they work…plain and simple.Print