This metabolism boosting smoothie will help ramp up the effects of your workout and supercharge charge your weight loss results, naturally.
I passionately believe that what we put into our bodies matters. That means the food we eat, the beverages we drink, the supplements, vitamins, and medication we take, and the things we don’t eat, drink, or ingest.
All of those things either help or hurt us.
Join our FREE 7-Day Smoothie Challenge if you’re ready to go all the way with healthy weight loss smoothies.
Weight Loss Smoothies
I fell in love with a plant-based diet when I lost the weight and gained tons of energy without really even trying. Just drinking smoothies and eating meals that were rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds did the trick! I began seeing meat, eggs and dairy as more of a condiment that goes with my plant-powered meal.
To help with the results, I started focusing on blending ingredients that are scientifically proven to burn fat and boost the metabolism, which lead to weight loss. Now, let’s dive into this fat burning smoothie recipe so you can see just how tasty and simple weight loss can be. But first…
Why smoothies help you lose weight
For most of us, there’s a balance between the good things and the not-so-good things. (I’m talking to you, French fries with my veggie burger.) My point is, it’s hard to always eat healthy. Which is why I like to do the Fresh Start seasonal cleanse using green smoothies (like this one!) as my breakfast for 21 days. It gets me back on track and makes sure I drink the best smoothies for weight loss and my overall health.
There are special occasions when we want to indulge, it’s hard to eat healthy all the time when traveling. You know the drill. We do our best. And I don’t believe in punishing ourselves for enjoying a treat now and then.
Build Muscle to Burn Fat
What I’m a big proponent of is eating healthy as much as possible and participating in a regular exercise routine. That looks different for all of us with our varied interests, schedules, time constraints, and lifestyles. There’s nothing that will help boost your metabolism more than doing exercises that build muscle.
More muscle means more fat-burning capabilities.
For me, that’s running 3-5 times a week and lifting weights 3 times a week. When it comes to boosting your metabolism, exercise goes hand in hand with healthy eating. Certain foods have fat-burning and metabolism-boosting abilities and adding them into your diet can help magnify weight-loss efforts. I’m a huge fan of smoothies, especially when I can use natural ingredients to transform it into a weight loss smoothie.
Give your body energy (i.e. high quality calories) to power it through a workout. The workout will help build more muscle, which burns more calories (i.e. fat) the rest of the time. See how nicely that works? It’s a beautiful thing!
Fat Burning Foods to Boost Metabolism
Our body needs proper fuel to keep up with the demands of daily activities. It’s important that the calories we consume, especially if we’re trying to lose weight, gain muscle, or just improve our performance, are quality calories.
A protein bar may be high in calories and full of nutrition, but it won’t fill you up in the same way a plate of salmon, brown rice, and steamed veggies will. But a high-quality (preferably homemade) vegan protein bar can give you the energy you need to power through a workout or recover from one.
What does that mean? It means that recipes need to tick off several boxes: healthy fats, protein, complex carbs, vitamins and minerals, and/or a combination of all of the above. A fat burning smoothie, which I’ll show you how to make below will take you a long way!
Want to skip a step and add protein + healthy fats to your smoothie in one step?
Check out my Protein Smoothie Boost! Clean protein? Check. Healthy fat? Check. Helpful fiber? Check.
No sweetness or artificial nonsense? Check! Protein Smoothie Boost is a great partner in your fight to burn fat with this smoothie!
17 Foods that Burn Fat Naturally
Here are some foods you can blend into a weight loss smoothie if you’re trying to boost your metabolism and burn fat:
- Nuts – whole, preferably raw and unblanched (almonds, walnuts, pecans); good fats and protein; almonds contain L-arginine (an amino acid) that when used pre-workout can help the body burn more fat
- Eggs – high in protein which helps boost metabolism; the body digests the protein and uses the fat and calories for fuel. Yes, some people truly do blend raw eggs in their smoothies— yet I never have!
- Berries – low in sugar but still sweet, high in fiber, high in antioxidants; helps burn fat; can help to improve blood flow
- Apple cider vinegar – the acetic acid in ACV helps with blood sugar levels
- Grapefruit –high in phytochemicals that stimulate the production of the hormone adiponectin which helps the body break down fat
- Green and white tea – caffeine in tea gives a natural boost of energy’ antioxidants in tea may help accelerate fat-burning by aiding the liver in converting fat to energy
- Chili peppers – capsaicin, the compound found in pepper aids the body in converting food to energy and abdominal fat loss; also works as a natural appetite suppressant
- Spinach + other leafy greens – chock full of vitamins and minerals and fiber
- Whole grains – like oats and brown rice; high fiber; slow-burning to keep you fuller, for longer and fuel the body
- Coconut oil and olive oil – healthy fats that help you feel satisfied when they are consumed; coconut oil is easily digested for quick energy
- Avocado – healthy fats, fiber, and vitamins, particularly B6 which counteracts cortisol, a stress hormone that contributes to weight gain via belly fat stores
- Flaxseed – high in omega-3 fatty acids – check out our organic, clean, specially formulated Protein Smoothie Boost with flaxseed
- Cinnamon – polyphenols (powerful antioxidants) boost the metabolism and help regulate blood sugar
- Pears and apples – high in fiber plus contains pectin; helps keep you fuller for longer and naturally sweet
- Grapes – high water and fiber content
- Celery – very high fiber, uses more energy to digest than it provides (i.e. negative calories)
- Dark chocolate – 70%+ cacao content is the important part; cacao contains high concentrations of polyphenols that push the body to burn fat
Top 5 Weight Loss Smoothie Recipes
This weight loss smoothie is a bit hardcore, but we believe it will help you see results more quickly when combined with an awesome exercise goal. I hope you give it a shot and love the results. Here’s 5 more weight loss smoothie recipes you might like:
- Meal Replacement Smoothie
- Anti Inflammatory Smoothie
- Beginner’s Luck Green Smoothie
- Apple Celery Smoothie
- Pineapple Ginger Smoothie
Wanna boost it with more protein? Check out Protein Smoothie Boost!
Fat Burning Smoothie for Weight Loss
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup brewed green tea, cooled
- 1/2 large grapefruit, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup pineapple, frozen
- 1/4 avocado
- dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 scoop Protein Smoothie Boost, optional
- Place spinach, mint, celery, and green tea into blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Blend again. Best if served chilled.
- The pith and peel of the grapefruit are extremely bitter, but are beneficial in small amounts. To lessen the bitterness of the grapefruit, remove the fruit from the inner membranes as well as peeling before using.
- Drink 1-2 smoothies a day as meal replacements to get the weight loss benefits you're looking for.
- Adding Protein Smoothie Boost is a great way to add high-quality protein that won't affect the delicious taste of the smoothie