Thick, fudgy brownies that also happen to be vegan and gluten-free. (No one will be able to tell!) Loaded with delicious chocolate flavor and a chewy texture, these really hit the spot.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 cup almond flour or meal
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips plus 1/2 cup for topping
- 6 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease an 8- by 8-inch square pan. (A 9-inch square pan can also be used, if needed.)
- Whisk the gluten-free flour and almond meal together. Whisk in sea salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat or using a double boiler, melt bittersweet chocolate and coconut oil together. Turn off heat and whisk in the cacao or cocoa powder until smooth. Whisk in the flaxseed and water mixture, followed by the coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on top and gently press into the batter.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, but start to checking for doneness around 12-13 minutes. These should not be over-baked in order to preserve their fudgy texture. When done, the center will look a little “raw” and the edges will look dry and set. The top will also have a dry appearance and may even crack in places. Remove from oven and sprinkle with a small pinch of sea salt over the top. Let cool before cutting into bars.
- Store covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to one week. Can be frozen in an airtight container for up to several months.
- For extra clean squares, chill brownies before cutting.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips can be substituted for the bittersweet chocolate.
- Stevia-sweetened chocolate chips can also be used, if desired.
- 1 large egg can be used in place of the flaxseed + water.
Keywords: brownies, brownie recipe, vegan brownies, gluten-free brownies, cacao, chocolate, bar cookies