Get ready for this golden milk (also known as turmeric latte) recipe. Along with being insanely delicious + comforting, this golden milk latte uses its plant power to fight inflammation. I believe so much in the power of plants, that I wrote a whole book with plant based recipes. It’s called Simple Green Meals, and this golden milk recipe with super health benefits was originally written for that book.
Origins of Golden Milk Latte
Golden milk dates back to ancient India (approx. 4000 years ago), where it is referred to as haldi doodh, or turmeric milk. The original milk recipe is much simpler than modern takes. Just 1/2 cup of hot milk + 1 tablespoon of ground turmeric mixed results in a bright yellow shot. Golden milk is supposed to bring healing to any and all ailments, from the flu to sore joints.
My modern twist
I love learning about the ancient uses of plants. Therefore, I included a few other ingredients with ancient origins to this golden milk recipe. I use full-fat coconut milk as the base, since it provides creamy, healthy fat and a slightly nutty + sweet flavor. Fresh grated ginger is preferred over dried as it harnesses even more healthy benefits. Raw honey provides just the right amount of sweetness.
The superpowers of turmeric
Turmeric is part of the Zingiberaceae family, which also includes ginger. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Because ground turmeric only contains around 3% of curcumin, I use cracked black pepper in this golden milk recipe to help the body absorb it better. Studies show that inflammation is part of almost every Western ailment. So helping the body control this is key to living out your life passions.
Turmeric Golden Milk Health Benefits
My turmeric latte has some extra superfood ingredients to work alongside the turmeric. This way, you to get all the benefits!
- Ground cinnamon: ceylon cinnamon contains antioxidants that fight free radicals.
- Fresh ginger: this superfood has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-nausea, as well as anti-cancer properties. These make it as important to this golden milk as the turmeric!
- Full-fat coconut milk: used as the base of my golden milk recipe, as it has MCTs. MCTs aid in faster digestion, as well as weight loss.
- Raw honey: this turmeric latte needs a bit of sweetness. Raw honey has incredible antioxidant, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties.
Other inflammation-fighting recipes
I know many people struggle with ongoing inflammation, which is why I created the Golden Milk Latte. So I’ve created a few other recipes along with golden milk, to help fight this with plants. I firmly believe plants should be a major source of nutrition + fuel. I also know firsthand just how well they can heal, as well as provide energy.
Pomegranate smoothie– the superfood pomegranate seeds provide this refreshing smoothie with loads of antioxidants.
Honey turmeric smoothie– this smoothie is not only beautiful to look at, but also full of incredibly nourishing ingredients.
Anti-inflammatory smoothie– use this bright smoothie to help soothe joint pain and more.
Turmeric Golden Milk Latte
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ginger root
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- In a small saucepan, combine the turmeric, cinnamon, pepper, and ginger.
- Whisk in the coconut milk, honey, and oil.
- Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, until very hot but not boiling.
- Pour into a blender and carefully blend on low until frothy.
- To make vegan, sub maple syrup for the honey
- I know the black pepper may seem strange, but it’s essential for the efficacy of the turmeric.
- If the turmeric flavor is too strong for you, feel free to start with less and work up to as much as you can tolerate.
Fight inflammation through plants
Is inflammation a struggle for you? I’d love to help you conquer it through more than just this golden milk. I’ve created a meal planner to help others easily incorporate plant based cooking into their weekly menu. I use this planner on a weekly basis for my family. There’s even a free 14-day trial so that you can fall in love with it too. Feel free to leave questions in the comments below, or reach out to my team here so we can help!