This yummy Cinnamon Smoothie uses ingredients that have a low glycemic index, which is great if you’re watching your sugar intake. Cinnamon may even help lower blood glucose levels. Health benefits aside, I love this smoothie! It’s sweet with a little hint of cinnamon, and creamy from the almond milk. I totally dig it. Plus, it’s hard for me to resist any smoothie full of berries.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
According to various research studies done on the health benefits of cinnamon, this tasty spice has been shown to do some incredible stuff for the body such as…
- Cinnamon contains large amounts of highly potent polyphenol antioxidants.
- The antioxidants in cinnamon have anti-inflammatory effects, which may help lower your risk of disease.
- Cinnamon has been shown to significantly increase sensitivity to the hormone insulin.
- Cinnamon has been shown to reduce fasting blood sugar levels, having a potent anti-diabetic effect at 1–6 grams or 0.5–2 teaspoons per day.
Blending Berries in Smoothies
Berries are a popular smoothie ingredient because they pack a punch in the flavor and antioxidant department. I like use a mix of frozen berries which I buy in bulk specifically for smoothies. Any berry will work here— use your favorite! You may notice that this smoothie isn’t green – gasp! Yep.
Berries will definitely take your green smoothies from a vibrant green to many shades of brown. But don’t worry, you’ll still be enjoying all the benefits of those leafy greens!
We use chard in this Cinnamon Smoothie. It’s important to rotate your greens every so often when you’re blending frequently. Chard, also called Silver Beet, has many health properties and a mild flavor. If you can’t find chard (or you just don’t care for it), spinach is a great substitute.Print
We love this sweet cinnamon smoothie loaded with nutrient-rich chard, antioxidant-rich berries and the perfect hint of cinnamon.
- 2 cups chard (any color)
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 cups mixed berries
- 1 banana
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Blend chard and almond milk until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
*Use at least one frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.
Keywords: cinnamon smoothie
Love berries in your smoothies too?
Here are some more of our very favorite recipes to blend up: