Welcome to Fuel Your Metabolism, Naturally. To get access to the entire series, head on over HERE and sign up now! It’s a good one. Today, I’m sharing some of my go-to healthy snacks for weight loss…
Whenever I fall off the healthy eating wagon, it comes down to snack time.
And it usually hits around 10:30am while grocery shopping or doing a home improvement Lowe’s run. After an hour running around the store, I catch a glimpse of the junk food by the register. My stomach immediately starts to ache, my tastebuds salivate and it’s SUPER hard to turn down a cheap, tasty snack at that moment.
Then there’s bedtime— when we realize we didn’t eat enough for dinner and we don’t want to go to bed hungry. The easy choice is something quick and dish-free…. and usually not very healthy.
Can you relate?
This is how we’ve been trained to fuel up our body in a crazy busy world — last minute and convenient. Yet it’s not gonna get us the body we were meant to have. A strong, energetic body takes snack fuel that is nutrient rich. We have to make a plan and be ready for anything thrown at us.
That’s where healthy snacks for weight loss come into the picture.
What snacks are good for weight loss?
The key to weight loss success is having the right kind of snacks on hand that’ll satisfy your cravings, encourage weight loss, and pretty much put the HANGRY beast to bed. Oftentimes, we think we are hungry when we are not. Thirsty and hungry are two signals the body tends to mix up. So if I’m feeling hungry, I reach for a glass of water before I even toy with the idea of a snack. If I’m still hungry 20 minutes later, then it’s time to fuel up.
Is it bad to snack all day?
It really depends on what your snacks are, to decide if it’s going to fuel your metabolism. Often times, snacks are foods that have a longer shelf life, less nutrients and less water content. ( Even healthy snacks are cutting corners on your overall health. ) Meals are when we use the most fresh vegetables, fruits, grains and nutrient rich foods. Just like most things, balance is key. And snacks are here for the “gap zone”… yet aren’t a substitute for a nutritious fresh meal.
Studies have shown that the “act of snacking” doesn’t boost your metabolism (source), yet you can be a conscious snacker and use ingredients that do benefit your metabolism to help you achieve your weight loss results.
A healthy snack choice has to meet these two criteria:
Contain Healthy Fats: This will help satisfy your hunger cravings and help your body absorb the nutrients in the snack.
Contain Protein: This will fuel your body and help build muscle. I prefer plant-based protein found in nuts and seeds, yet it’s totally up to you.
If a snack meets those two requirements, then I move onto what sorta craving I have. Do I want something salty? Tart? Sweet? That’s when the “flavors” come into play.
What snacks are good for weight loss?
- Tart : Green apple with almond butter
- Carby : Warrior Bars w/ almond butter and honey.
- Sweet: Green smoothie (8oz)
- Salty: Tamari almonds (recipe below)
If you’re not able to have your own snack on hand, some healthy options at most grocery stores are: trail mix, roasted nuts, granola bars, chia + fruit bars, almond butter, etc. Just make sure there’s no added sugars to cause you to overeat. 🙂
Now I want to show you how to make a SUUUUPER simple snack recipe that I keep in my purse to help curve the carvings. This is helpful when I’m out running errands or even sitting at my desk working.Print
This healthy snack recipe is great when you’re craving something sweet or salty. I like to keep a handful in my purse to encourage healthy eating all day long.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 tbs tamari
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Dash of cinnamon (optional)
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Mix almonds with tamari, which is a gluten-free soy sauce to satisfy any salty cravings.
- Add in 1 tsp maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon to satisfy a sweet tooth.
- Top with a dash of cayenne pepper if you’re craving something spicy or just want to curb your appetite until the next meal.
- Stir together until well combined.
- Place on a baking sheeting lined with parchment paper and bake for 7 minutes at 350 degrees, or until lightly caramelized.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before you storing in small air tight snack-size containers.
Feel free to change up the seasoning to satisfy your own snack attacks.
Keywords: Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss, tamari almonds
I hope I’ve inspired you to keep some healthy snacks on hand after watching this video. Trying to lose weight is not easy, but having the right tools makes all the difference.
Wanna win Rawk the Year?
If you’re serious about making healthy habits stick, this is for YOU! One lucky rawkstar will win the following…
- Rawk the Year: Summer Collection enrollment ($99 value) for FREE! You’ll get weekly plant-based meal plans, access to our Thrive Summer Live Community Reset, Wellness Coaching and a blueprint to live your best life.
- $25 gift card to use the Official Simple Green Smoothies Shop for some new smoothie swag like mason jars, rose gold stainless steel straws and wood lids.
- Winner will be chosen next week and shared in our newsletter.
How to enter:
- Make the Tamari Almond recipe (it takes just 5 minutes!)
- Leave a review in the comments below telling me how you liked it
- Bonus: take a pic of you with your snack and tag us on Facebook or Instagram (@simplegreensmoothies)