Getting enough healthy fat on a daily basis takes a bit of work, yet the results are worth it. Improved digestion, supple skin, and blazing energy all encourage me to pack in the healthy fats as I get, well, older. These lemon fat bombs, or meltaways, make a great quick afternoon snack. I should warn you—you really have to like lemons to like these tart treats.
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup*
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 cup organic virgin coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Place a baking sheet lined with waxed paper in the freezer OR use silicone ice cube trays.
- In a blender or food processor, blend or process the cashews until finely ground.
- Add the maple syrup and lemon juice and pulse a few times.
- Add the coconut oil and salt. Puree until smooth and creamy.
- Drop 1⁄2 tablespoonfuls of the cashew mixture onto cold baking sheet or into silicone trays. Return the pan to the freezer. (Depending on the size of the baking sheet, you may have to make the meltaways in batches.)
- When the drops are solid, peel them from the waxed paper (or pop out of the tray) and store in the freezer in an airtight freezer container.
GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN, DAIRY FREE
*Going keto? You can swap out the maple syrup for a dash of stevia.