When I became a vegetarian at 16 years old, one of the meals I missed the most was the chicken lettuce wraps from my fav Chinese restaurant. Then a vegetarian version came out on the market, and I was rejoicing—that is, until I learned that version contains gluten, which just seems strange. This recipe is inspired by those, yet this dish adds a lot more nourishment and flavors to make me one happy gluten-free vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces baby bella or white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 heaping cups walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Pinch of crushed red-pepper flakes
- 12 leaves butter lettuce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Lime wedges
- Warm a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the celery and shallots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their liquid and it evaporates, and the mushrooms start to brown nicely. Add the walnuts and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to toast them.
- Stir in the lime juice, tamari, coconut sugar, and rice vinegar. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the mint, cilantro, and red-pepper flakes. Taste and add more tamari, if desired, for more saltiness. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- To serve, spoon some of the vegetables into the lettuce leaves. Top with a sprinkling of carrots, cashews, cilantro, and scallions and add a squeeze of lime. Serve warm.
GLUTEN FREE, NUT FREE (remove walnuts and double mushrooms, remove cashews), VEGAN, DAIRY FREE
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauteed
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: thai recipe, lettuce wraps, vegan asian