Mexican food is a staple in our house and I can’t get enough of these Vegan Tacos inspired by one of my favorite cities! You can find find this recipe and 100+ recipes in my new book, Simple Green Meals.
Most people celebrate Taco Tuesday but if I had the option, I’d have Taco Wednesday and Taco Thursday, too! I have a thing for tacos! I’m not gonna lie, every year since we’ve been dating, Ryan and I have gone to Taco Bell for Valentine’s Day. Romantic, huh?!
It’s really because when you’re young and naive, you don’t realize every restaurant is booked on Valentine’s Day… well… every restaurant except Taco Bell! It’s tradition for us now, but if I’m being honest, Austinite Tacos is where it’s at! Taco Bell’s got nothin’ on these!
Why I Prefer Vegan Tacos
- Most Vegetarian tacos don’t seem to have a lot of flavors but these tacos taste as good as they look!
- I don’t feel bloated after eating them.
- Between the cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas, these tacos are packed with a ton of nutrients.
Are you drooling yet? Do yourself a favor and make them today!
Mexican Side Dishes
If you’re itching for some side dished to go with this simple vegan taco recipe, I’ve definitely got you covered with these 3 vegan sides from my book too. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of these. It really makes going plant-based so much easier when it tastes this good!
- Holy Guacamole
- Homemade Salsa
- Vegan Queso
When I created this vegan taco recipe, it just felt like it had an Austin flair going on, so I named it after that city. Austin, Texas, is one of my favorite cities, thanks to the great music, the variety of healthy foods available, its natural landscape, and the fact that my awesome aunt and uncle live there.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil, melted
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, plus more for serving
For Serving 12 organic corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup simple Cashew Coleslaw
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Avocado slices
- sliced scallions
- diced tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the cauliflower, sweet potato, and onion on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and toss to coat. Season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the chickpeas. Drizzle the BBQ sauce over everything and toss to coat. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
- To serve, spoon the BBQ filling into the tortillas and top each with a spoonful of the coleslaw, a sprinkling of cilantro, avocado slices, scallions, tomatoes, and any additional BBQ sauce you’d like. Serve immediately.
GLUTEN FREE, NUT FREE (remove Simple Cashew Coleslaw), VEGAN, DAIRY FREE
Keywords: vegan tacos, plant-based taco recipe
Order Simple Green Meals now!
I just got wind that Simple Green Meals has dropped from $24.99 to $16.37. Don’t miss out on the savings and order now on Amazon! Maybe even order a couple! Once you place your order, make sure to grab your complimentary bonus recipes sneak peek guide and meal planning templates as a special thank you for ordering. And don’t forget to try my vegan tacos … they’re finger licking good!