The first time I tried vegan yogurt, I was blown away. It was super creamy with a bit of tang, yet had NO dairy. How could this be?! I started researching what made yogurt yogurt, and have come up with a great new recipe to share. It’s everything I love about yogurt, without all the sugar and dairy.
Ingredients you’ll need for recipe
This vegan yogurt recipe contains just 6, whole food, plant based ingredients:
- Cashews: rich in fatty acids that are great for heart health
- Coconut cream/full-fat coconut milk: lowers blood pressure and cholesterol
- Fresh lemon juice: aids in digestion, helps improve the quality and appearance of skin
- Pure maple syrup: darker grades contain more antioxidants than lighter grades
- Vanilla extract (check out my book, Simple Green Smoothies, for DIY Vanilla Extract!)
- Sea Salt
If you prefer a more tart yogurt, simply omit the maple syrup. Eat yogurt for the toppings? I’ve got some great options, including a great fruit compote and a superfood granola. You can also top with simple, fresh fruit (berries are a great choice!), or a coconut whipped cream.
How to Make Vegan Yogurt
In this recipe, all you need is a blender and refrigerator to achieve the best vegan yogurt blend. After soaking the cashews overnight, add all the ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth. Once it is thick and smooth, refrigerate while assembling the desired toppings. This is a fun after-school snack or a great breakfast if using the parfait toppings. It even serves as a great, light dessert if chilled and topped with fruit compote (recipe below).
While I kept this recipe simple, you can also make vegan yogurt more of a digestive aid by adding in a probiotic. Though gut health is often overlooked, it’s a super important practice. I actually dedicate an entire challenge to learning about and improving gut health in the Rawk the Year community. If you’re looking to boost your yogurt with a probiotic, I recommend using a vegan friendly probiotic brand. Also, make sure the probiotic is a capsule instead of a pill, so you can break it open and stir in the powder. Per the US Library of Medicine guidelines, be sure to speak with your physician about the right probiotic for you.
Best Vegan Yogurt Brands
If you’re not ready to make your own vegan yogurt yet, but still want to try this incredible new concept, I’ve got you covered. Here are some of my fav store bought brands… and you can still make the granola recipe from this post to add with your store bought yogurt!
- Trader Joe’s cashew, cultured coconut milk, and almond vegan yogurts
- Whole Foods 365 Brand almond milk yogurt
- So Delicious Oat milk and coconut milk yogurt alternatives
- Kite Hill almond milk and coconut milk yogurts
- Forager cashew yogurt
- Nancy’s oat milk yogurt
As always, read ingredients to any yogurt brand before buying. Yogurt can contain high amounts of added sugar, as well as thickening agents. Have you ever attempted your own yogurt recipe before? Drop a comment below letting me know how it turned out!Print
If you’re looking for a delicious recipe that is plant based, look no further. This fun, easy vegan yogurt is great on its own, or turned into a parfait with the fruit compote and granola.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 c. Fruit Compote*
- 1/4 c. Granola, any kind
- Place pre-soaked cashews, coconut cream/milk, lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt into a blender.
- Puree until smooth and creamy. Stop and scrape down sides as needed. If mixture is too thick, add a little more coconut cream/milk or 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before serving to chill.
- If desired, add 1/2 cup of fruit compote (recipe below) + 1/4 cup granola to each serving of yogurt.
*To make fruit compote: place 2 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries in a bowl with 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Gently toss. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
Keywords: vegan yogurt, cashew coconut yogurt