The Index

Rawk out here too...

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

The ultimate green smoothie prep tip busy people use

perp

Smoothie meal prepping is a great way to save time and have enough smoothies on hand for a week or even a month. There are many ways to speed up the process, yet two of the best ways we have found are Ziploc bags and mason jars. Both ways work well and speed up the process immensely. So gather some bags, mason jars or other freezer safe containers and let’s get prepping!

Prep like a rawkstar

prep11. Slice and measure green smoothie ingredients according to recipe (just leave out the liquids). If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the top. This helps get them out easier when frozen.

[hr]

prep2
2. Place all ingredients in a freezer safe Ziploc bag (quart size OR gallon size) or container (do not add liquid-base)

[hr]

prep4
3. Label with name of recipe and date made.

[hr]

prep5

4. Place and store in freezer for up to 6 months.

[hr]

prep35. Remove from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid base. Blend until smooth!

[hr]

jensprep

If you blender isn’t doing so hot with frozen fruits, you can take your bag (or mason jar) out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost slightly. This also brings out more of the flavors in the fruit, which is awesome. If you are going this route, we also recommend freezing your greens separate from your fruits so they don’t defrost and get soggy. Jen keeps her frozen leafy greens in a gallon size Ziploc and then her fruit measurements in a mason jar.

Can I make my green smoothie the night before?
Yes! You can blend your smoothies ahead of time and store your green smoothies in a sealed container for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. We like to use these quart-size mason jars with the metal bands or these storage caps (click the links to be directed to the products on Amazon). Another perk to blending at night: your neighbors will love you for blending the night before too!

Fresh is always best, but a 2-day old green smoothie is still way better than a bag of the Cheetos (aka: orange dust) or a drive-thru breakfast sandwich. Your goal is to add more fruits and vegetables into your regular diet— and green smoothies will help you get there.

Filed in:

Comment+

1. Laura

January 12th, 2015 at 11:33 am

I make my smoothie packs ahead and freeze them flat. They are easier to break up even while still frozen. My question: why would my fruit pack smell rotten? All of my fruits (except banana and pomegranate) were already frozen. The kale and spinach literally came out of the ground the same morning I made the packs. I did pre-wash and air dry but they weren’t bone dry. I figured a little moisture left on the leaves would just help them freeze faster. Or did I not let them dry sufficiently before freezing? I use a vacuum sealer for my packs, and a Vitamix to blend. I’m sitting here afraid to eat this smoothie because it smells bad, and wondering if my whole batch (14 packs) is no good.

2. Ben Smith

January 18th, 2015 at 7:50 pm

It’s because you need to blanch the kale and spinach before freezing (boil 2 minutes, put in ice water, dry, then freeze) to slow the enzyme process down. Otherwise the enzymes break down and make them smell. See the link below for more info.

3. Mijenou

January 24th, 2015 at 6:11 am

I love you guys, started my green smoothie journey about 2 years ago, and I had never felt more alive.
    Then I became a momma bear and let exhaustion lead me into temptation a.k.a crap-food.
    I have recently jumped back into my healthy habits. The both of you have always been a source of inspiration, and for that I am immensely grateful.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

4. Brooke

January 30th, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Hi,
    I really love green smoothies but have only made ones using water as my liquid base. I have to catch the school bus early in the morning and don’t have time to make one so I make it the night before and put it in the fridge. However, I have been too scared to use almond or coconut milk in them because I think it might go off when it is combined with my fruit and veggies. Do you guys have any problems with using almond/coconut milk the night before? Does it still taste ok?

5. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

January 30th, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Hi Brooke.

Thanks for reaching out. Have you tried prepping this way: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/make-ahead-smoothie-prep Then all you have to do is add liquid and off to the bus. If you blend with coconut milk or almond milk in a seal container it should still be yummy in the morning. 🙂

6. Jo

March 17th, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Hi,

I made a smoothie last night with the intent of having it today. OMG, the whole thing tasted absolutely GROSS when I had it today and I don’t know why.

Since drinking the little bit I had today (couldn’t stomach the rest) I’ve felt nauseous.

Here’s what it consisted of….

Almond Milk (300ml), handful of red/green kale, spinach, a little cucumber, half a frozen banana, frozen blueberries, & frozen cherries.

The consistency last night was thick, but this morning it was thinner than milk!

What did I do wrong, any ideas?

TIA

7. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

March 18th, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Hey Jo,

Thanks for the comment. Here are our updated prep ahead tips: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/make-ahead-smoothie-prep

Some smoothies don’t hold well overnight. We prep and fresh blend in the morning. 🙂

8. Nancy

March 23rd, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Is frozen spinach or kale from the freezer section of the store just as good as buying fresh then freezing?

9. SGS Rawkstar

March 23rd, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Hi Nancy,

Freezing leafy greens is a great way to keep them from going bad! We prefer to use fresh greens, you just need to rinse them, pat them dry, and place them in an air tight bag in the freezer. This will keep your leafy greens fresh for months, and your wallet happy!

10. Kristi

March 27th, 2015 at 8:03 am

When doing your prep to freeze, is it OK to freeze advocado?

11. SGS Rawkstar

March 27th, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Hi Kristi,

Of course! If you want to keep your avocado from going bad, then go ahead and freeze it! You simply purée/mash it, put it in a air tight bag, and place it in the freezer. It might help to put a little lemon juice in with it, too! Don’t be surprised if the color is less of a vibrant green and more of a dull brown–it still has a great taste and lots of nutrients!

12. Elizaabeth

April 20th, 2015 at 10:00 am

do you replace meals with smooties i would like to know how many time a day do you make them i am also 30lbs over weight my son is active he works out all the time and makes his drinks out of cottage cheese,bananas,milk i cant drink what he drinks i need a menu i can follow i am terrible at trying to figure out what to follow i need a monday-sunday menu if you could help me that would be great

13. SGS Rawkstar

April 20th, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

We are so excited to have you blendin’ with us! You can replace one to two meals with Simple Green Smoothies! If you’re using green smoothies as a meal replacement, we suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure it’s a complete meal. Learn more at the link below, and let us know how else we can help!

P.S. Our 30-day challenges are a great way to get recipe suggestions for each day! We’re starting our next challenge June 1!

Cheers 🙂

14. Matt

May 11th, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Why is it important to dry your kale before you freeze it? I can see if you want to freeze it for over a week you might want to dry it off, but if you’re only freezing it for 5 days, why take the effort to dry it first? Thanks!

15. SGS Rawkstar

May 11th, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Hi Matt,

We like to dry off our leafy greens to prevent any ice build-up, and to keep our leafy greens from sticking together. But it’s all about what works best for you!

Cheers 🙂

16. Emma Cameron

June 5th, 2015 at 7:12 am

Hi, is it ok to blend all my smoothies for the week on one day, freeze them and then take what I want out for the day?

Thanks, Emma.

17. SGS Rawkstar

June 5th, 2015 at 11:38 am

Hi Emma,

Of course you can! It’s all about finding what works best for you! We like to thaw them in the fridge overnight. If you’re planning on storing your green smoothies, we suggest adding a small amount of lemon juice to help preserve their green goodness!

Cheers 🙂

18. BillG

June 10th, 2015 at 8:20 am

any suggestions on a freezer safe alternative to mason jars? even if it’s up-cycling another food container. Looking for something that’s smooth, straight-walled and has less than a 4″ opening.

I’ve been bringing my frozen ingredients to my office (where i have a second Ninja base to mitigate the eye-rolling at home when that puppy gets grinding).

Would like to avoid disposables & look for something that would slip right into the Ninja tumblers.

19. SGS Rawkstar

June 10th, 2015 at 9:18 am

Hi Bill,

A Ziploc bag or freezer safe Tupperware make a great substitute for freezer safe mason jars!

20. KAREN

June 12th, 2015 at 2:57 pm

When measuring out frozen fruit is it best to use a dry measuring cup or a liquid measuring cup?

21. SGS Rawkstar

June 15th, 2015 at 7:24 am

Hi Karen,

When measuring frozen + fresh fruit we prefer to use a dry measuring cup!

22. Karen

June 26th, 2015 at 3:24 am

Is it ok freeze a smoothie overnight so it’s a grab and go at 330 am when I leaving early for work and slushy to drink a little later?

23. SGS Rawkstar

June 26th, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Hi Karen,

Do you have a fridge available at work? Simple Green Smoothies will keep in the fridge for up to two days in an air-tight container. We suggest adding a small amount of lemon juice to preserve their green goodness. If you don’t have a fridge available, using a thermos or freezing your pre-blended smoothie the night before is a great option! With storing + freezing separation is natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

Hope this helps! And let us know what you decide to do!

Cheers 🙂

24. Kelly Howard

July 4th, 2015 at 3:58 pm

love this idea….. So you can freeze spinach along w fruit in freezer ziplock bag??? What else do you put in smoothies… I’m fairly new at making them, I use spinach, grapes, or cherries, almond milk, little almond butter, and frozen fruits to give the milk shake feel….

Thanks,
    Kelly

25. SGS Rawkstar

July 6th, 2015 at 4:12 am

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We love freezing our leafy greens, it’s a great way to stock up when our favorites are in season, or even better, on sale! Check out our blog post here…

New to green smoothies, try our Beginner’s Luck, it’s perfect introduction to Simple Green Smoothies…

26. Toni

July 10th, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Hello,

I am usually on the go in the mornings and I don’t have much time to blend my smoothies. Do you think it’s okay I blend a gallons worth of a green smoothie and store it in the refrigerator for the entire week?

27. SGS Rawkstar

July 13th, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Hi Toni,

Great question! Our green smoothies will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days, we also suggest adding a small amount of lemon juice to help preserve their green goodness! Looking to really stock up on pre-blended green smoothies, freeze them, then thaw them in the refrigerator the night before. Separation is natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

Cheers 🙂

28. Diane

July 15th, 2015 at 7:29 am

Do you wash fruits and veggies before placing in the freezer bags?

29. SGS Rawkstar

July 15th, 2015 at 11:05 am

Hi Diane,

We do! Learn more about washing your fruits + leafy greens here…

30. Donna

August 11th, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Can you freeze fresh Swiss chard from the garden raw or do I blanch it first Thanks

31. SGS Rawkstar

August 12th, 2015 at 6:55 am

Hi Donna,

Great question! We love freezing our leafy greens raw. Want to learn more, check out our blog post here…

32. El

September 30th, 2015 at 3:45 am

If I have raw spinach in a bag in the veggie section of the fridge and it is starting to darken and go a little soggy, is there anyway of salvaging it for a smoothie? Freeze while at this point or is it lost and has to be discarded?

33. SGS Rawkstar

September 30th, 2015 at 6:47 am

Hi El,

Unfortunately, if your leafy greens are dark + soggy, they’re past their prime + ready for the compost pile. Want to prevent waste? Try freezing your leafy greens right after purchase! Or I freeze half for smoothies, + keep the other half in the fridge for salads.

34. MONIQUE

March 11th, 2016 at 2:28 pm

can you make smoothie and freeze it

35. SGS Rawkstar

March 13th, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Hi Monique,

Of course you can! Simply allow your smoothie to thaw in the refrigerator overnight when you’re ready to enjoy. And just a quick FYI: separation is completely natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

Cheers 🙂

36. Cryssi

April 7th, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Soooooooo I’m allergic to lemons….. what’s another alternative to making my smoothies last longer???

37. SGS Rawkstar

April 8th, 2016 at 7:42 am

Hi Cryssi,

Are you allergic to limes or citrus? The acidity in limes or citrus will also help preserve your green smoothies! 🙂

38. Larry

April 27th, 2016 at 8:13 pm

My wife and I are loving the green smoothies for breakfast every day. We’re into our third month now! We travel for a 4-10 day period almost every month. Taking the blender isn’t always an option. Propane fridge but no electricity. Blending ahead and refrigerating didn’t work out so well. On the third day the blend was gelatinous but didn’t smell. We tossed it anyways, just to be safe. We’ll try freezing in mason jars ahead of the next trip. You advise to add lemon juice but I haven’t seen anything on how to do this. Is it blended in? If so, how much do I use? Or is it added on top as an air barrier?

39. SGS Rawkstar

April 28th, 2016 at 7:20 am

Hi Larry,

Thank you so much for reaching out. We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us. You’re right, by Day 3, your smoothie won’t be that pretty or tasty. We suggest enjoying our recipes within two days, and storing pre-blended smoothies in an airtight container in your refrigerator.

Curious about how to add lemon to your green smoothie? I add approximately 1 tbsp of lemon juice when storing my green smoothie, and blend it right in with the rest of my ingredients. The acidity in the lemon helps preserve all of their green goodness.

Blending on the go without a fridge? We’ve heard from many members of our community that they’ve found success blending our smoothies, freezing them beforehand, and then keeping in a cooler packed with ice while on the go. When they’re ready to enjoy they simply allow their smoothie to defrost in the open. Do know that because our recipes are free of any yucky preservatives or stabilizers separation is completely natural, so give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying.

Learn more about traveling with your green smoothie here…

Hope this helps! Reach out with any questions!

1 3 4 5 6
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM