I’m Jen Hansard, mom of 2 and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a mostly plant-powered diet and helped 1 million+ families do it.

PLANT-BASED MEAL PLAN
BEST-SELLING RECIPE BOOKS
Search Recipes

Live Community

7-DAY SUMMER RESET

JOIN NOW!

frozen smoothie packs

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

By: Jen Hansard | last Updated: 4.1.2014 | COMMENTS: 727

Are you ready to RAWK your smoothie world? With my simple smoothie prep guide, you’ll be saving time and money with just a little bit of work.

The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”  ― Benjamin Franklin

Can I get an amen on Franklin’s words of wisdom for us all?

Make ahead smoothies really save me precious time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit, measuring anything or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. (because we know that happens to all of us!)

Smoothie ingredients used to prep ahead

3 Smoothie Prep Benefits

1. Enjoyable time in the kitchen: I actually enjoy spending a few minutes on Sundays prepping smoothies for the week (or month!). I crank up Alexa and turn my kitchen into a cooking show… yet there’s no meal to put on the table or pots and pans to clean!
  2. Sets the foundation for healthier habits. According to a recent study, “Spending less than one hour a day preparing food at home is associated with eating more fast food and spending more money eating out.”
  3. It’s the easiest way to prep ahead for the week. Now, I know it can be hard to meal plan each week, but smoothie prep is such a simple task…AND it creates big results. I hope you give it a shot with my step by step tutorial…
How to prep ahead smoothies for the week with bags or jars
Smoothie ingredients all laid out to prep for the week

In addition to prepping your smoothies, you can also freeze them blended. Yep! You can actually blend your smoothies and freeze them until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.

Make Ahead Smoothies in freezer with bags stacked nicely
frozen smoothie packs

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 7 smoothies
  • Category: smoothies
  • Method: blending
  • Cuisine: american
  • Diet: Vegan

Make smoothies in half the time with our make ahead smoothie prep guide. You can use this process to prep for a day, a week or even a month– depending on how much space you have in your freezer!

• measuring cups
  • quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
  • permanent marker
  • your fav fruit and leafy greens
  • Daily Blends smoothie recipe app

1. Decide which recipes you’ll make for the week and have the recipe on hand. Feel free to use our Smoothie library for inspiration.
  2. Slice or cut fruit into chunks.  You can also cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

3. Label bag and jar lids with recipe name and date. Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack (to have when you’re ready to blend).
  4. Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.
  5. Remove as much air as possible from bags and jars when sealing closed. Pack fruit and leafy greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.
  6. Place in freezer. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
  7. When ready to use, remove from freezer. Add liquid base to container or bag (which helps defrost the fruit slightly). You can also thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.
  8. Pour into blender and blend until smooth.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.
  • If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.
  • Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

Keywords: smoothie prep, make ahead smoothie,

Tags:    /   Categories: Cooking Tips

Transform your health with our live community reset that starts July 6.

SUMMER RESET!
JOIN NOW!

LIVE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Pam says:

Do the bananas freeze well? I’m afraid they will have a less than desirable taste. THANK YOU!

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Yes! They freeze perfectly! I usually buy 2 bunches of bananas, wait for them to ripen and those that we don’t eat, just toss in a bag in the freezer and use them up in all my green smoothies. 🙂

2. Ileana says:

Yesterday I prepped out all the week #1 recipes and put them in the freezer; they were so beautiful and I took photos I was so proud of my mason jars…

… and then today I read in one of your responses that you don’t recommend freezing citrus. Yikes! Do you have any recommendations for reconstituting frozen oranges and grapefruits while blending? Would it help to substitute some of the water in the week #1 recipes with juice?

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Hi Ileana! Congrats on all the prepping. It helps out so much in my house. You should totally post your pics on our Facebook wall!!

As far as the citrus, don’t worry about it too much. You might just need to add in a bit more liquid or fruit to get it the right consistency/taste.

Keep up the great work, rawkstar! 🙂

3. Madison says:

Hey!
    I’m a Junior in high school and have a busy schedule. Being a teenager, I often find myself at odds when it comes to finding time to eat healthy. I almost never find time to eat breakfast in the morning and then the school lunch is absolutely atrocious so I miss two main meals o the day. My schedule is pretty right and right now I’m cramming for my upcoming EOC’s, ACT, and SAT. I came upon this website by chance, and have been wanting to try things out, but haven’t had the chance to try any smoothies yet! I am a die-hard sweets fan and am obsessed with sugar. I’m also trying to break that habit. Reading this article has made me so happy that I can prepare ahead of time and just toss into the blender!
    I do have one question, though.
    Do I need to still blend the greens first, then add the fruits if they are both frozen? I don’t have a very high-powered blender so I was just curious!
    Thanks!

Hey Madison!

Thanks so much for joining us! You can throw your leafy green in with your fruit. 🙂 Let it thaw for a few minutes and then it should pop right out. Make sure you are using freeze baggies or freeze safe wide mouth mason jars. 🙂

• Madison says:

Thanks! I’m using the quart-sized Glad Freezer Bags!
        I live with my grandmother and she cans veggies and fruits so we have more than enough Mason jars on hand!

4. Adrienne says:

Maybe I shouldn’t be worrying about it, but what is the average calorie count on a green smoothie?

Hi Adrienne.

We personally don’t count calories, so we don’t include them in our recipes at this time. You’ll find that when you consume more nourishing whole fruits and veggies, you will not only feel full longer, but you’ll also have lessened cravings for high-calorie, nutritionally empty foods. So in the end it balances out. But we know many people would like to have calorie info. Three great resources for tracking calories are Self Nutrition Data and the phone apps My Fitness Pal and Lose It.

• Amy says:

I have been using my fitness pal to calculate the calories and for 1 serving of each smoothie (most if not all are 2 servings per recipe) have averages from 150-220 calories. I try not to obsess over the calories though because like SGS Rawkstar Jessie said they’re healthy calories!

5. Elba says:

what time should make green smoothies?

Hi Elba.

Anytime is a good time to make green smoothies. Morning, Lunch, Dinner or a snack. Cheers!

• Mata says:

Hi there! I have just joined this group of “healthy smoothies” drinkers and from what I have read from comments made by those who appreciates what you are doing, I am totally glad to be part of this group. I am 67yrs old and wants to be healthy as my diet in the past leaves nothing to be desired, so I am determined to become healthier than I’ve ever been in my life and while on this journey lose kilos ( alot I might add) as well. I will keep you posted along the way. My day of reckoning starts tomorrow!!! yaaay!!!!

• Amy says:

I make the whole recipe which is normally two servings each morning then drink one at breakfast and one for lunch or a snack later on,

6. Jenny says:

Hi, I’m new to this smoothie business!
    Freezing sounds like an ideal solution to me for saving time, but how long is it safe to leave the fruit and veg in the freezer for before they are bad to consume? Thanks! 🙂

Hi Jenny.

Thanks for the comment. What type of container will you be using? I know most containers suggest 3-6 months.

7. adam says:

I place my fruits in plastic containers in the freezer or zip lock bags.
    Mason Jars take up too much space in the freezer. I store my greens in a big ziploc bag and grab as needed.

8. Micasha says:

Hi
    I’ve been using frozen fruits most of the time. Am I getting the same amount of nutrients as fresh fruits?

Hey Micasha.

Fresh is best, but frozen is a close second. We love added frozen for the chill factor.

9. cindy says:

I prep in regular mouth pint mason jars 1 serving (1/2 recipe)
    When ready to use take off top, add liquid, screw on Oster blender blade to mason jar. Blend and drink from jar. Less clean up.

10. Christine says:

Do the greens still blend okay mixed with everything? Or do you still recommend blending the greens and liquid together first then the fruit?

Hey Christine.

Great question. When everything is frozen, just add the liquid and blend. Cheers. 🙂

• Lori says:

My blender does NOT like everything frozen so I just let the bag rest on the counter or soak in water. Then I blend greens with liquids first. I don’t have a fancy blender so this works well for me.

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Great tip, Lori! 🙂

11. Sarah says:

Aloha! 🙂 I would like to ask if it is okay to mix oats to any smoothie? Thanks!

12. Misty says:

Okay, so I recently discovered my blender blade end will fit my Mason Jar….game changer!!! So i can I freeze green tea, cucumber, apple, watercress, kale, celery and pineapple together in the jar? Or do any these need to be separated? Its so convenient to screw on the blade and blend!

Hey Misty.

Awesome. I personally haven’t done this, but here is a link all about using your mason jar with your blender: http://www.thekitchn.com/the-mason-jar-blender-trick-do-you-know-about-this-195182

13. Sophie says:

Hello,
    Is there any reason why I shouldnt blend a weeks worth of smoothies and then separate and freeze the individual portions? I’m not a morning person so it would be easier to grab a portion on my way out the door and wait for it to defrost…..
    Thanks!

Hey Sophie.

You can totally do that. It will take a while to completely deforest, if you freeze a solid blended smoothie. We just prefer to blend that morning, there is just something about a freshly blended smoothie to us.

Cheer + Happy Blendin’!

14. Denise says:

Hi I appreciate your advice but have a question on freezing vegetables. The Fresh Preserving site says “Vegetables require blanching, a critical step to cleanse off surface dirt, brighten the color, help retain vitamins and reduce the action of enzymes which can destroy the fresh flavor.” Do you blach yours?

Hey Denise.

Great question. Before freezing, we wash. 🙂 Here is a link to all things washing your produce. 🙂 https://simplegreensmoothies.com/healthy-eating/washing-produce

15. Candice L. says:

Is this how-to in PDF form anywhere to be added to the Kindle app?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Candice. Great question. At this time we do not. If you have an Apple product you can press the square button with the arrow, and add to you home screen. 🙂

16. Mini says:

I see you featured the yellow variety of banana. Does the type of banana matter?

17. C says:

My sister got my butt up off of the couch and became my walking buddy this past week! She is in CA and I and am in NH, so we call each other as we walk. Now she has encouraged me to do the 30 day challenge together and I’m looking forward to it! I have a couple of question. 1. about using green tea in the smoothies…can you use matcha green tea powder and water in place of the tea bags? It certainly would make our smoothies greener! 2. Can you suggest specific smoothies that would be good for weight loss? Thanks

Hey C.

Thanks for the comment! Great job on moving your body towards health and fueling it with yummy green smoothie. Here is a green smoothie you might enjoy. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/Recipes/kiwi-berry-punch

18. DebB says:

Hey! I LOVE that you can freeze everything! Great time saving idea. I thought the greens would go mushy and gross.

I use a magic bullet and have 6 individual cups, and just recently started making 4-6 cups all at once, putting in everything except the liquid and frozen items, and storing in the fridge, this really helped save time too. And I just discovered slicing bananas that are at my “perfect” ripeness, freezing on a baking sheet and then putting in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Again, I thought they’d turn brown or mushy, and they don’t at all! Smoothies rock!

19. Kate says:

Recipe cards??? I could use those. I have my recipes saved all over the place. Email, Facebook, Pinterest, printouts, you name it! Help!

Hey Kate.

Here is the link where you can purchase the October Recipe cards. 🙂 https://simplegreensmoothies.com/october-recipe-cards

Thanks for your support.

20. Grace says:

If I freeze the already made smoothies instead of just the ingredients, how long do the smoothies stay good in the freezer?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Here is a great link to know how long everything will last in the freezer.

21. Carol says:

Hi,
    I want to try the green tea smoothie. I want to know if I make the tea first and and it as the liquid, or do I use the tea grains.

Thanks.

Carol

Hey Carol.

Great question. We make the tea first. Let it cool. Then add it to your green smoothie. 🙂

22. Lin says:

Hi, looking forward to the October challenge, what ingredients do I need to get in to be ready to follow your recipes?

Lin. X

Hey Lin.

Thanks for joining us. Once you have signed up here: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge you will be on our email list. We will send out shopping list and recipes later this week, so you will be ready for the October 1st start date. 🙂

23. Shefyl says:

I have seen coconut oil mentioned several times. I have the solid form. Do i add it like that or melt it? Can it be frozen also?

Hey Shefyl.

Yes you can use it in the solid form or freeze it with your prep ahead items. I wouldn’t melt it, it might make you smoothie warm. 🙂

24. Murfee says:

I used to make smoothies for breakfast, I froze the preparations in quart in slider-lock bags and put them in the freezer flatways. That way I could lay the frozen flat bag on a plate to soften while showering. Then I moved the slider slightly, inserted a straw and headed for the bus stop. The bags are easily disposed into trash bins,
    If I had a extra large mixture, the remainder was brought along in my lunch tote for morning break or lunch which helped me to order sensibly at the corp’s lunch counter. Just another option. I am looking forward to your recipes because I burned out on my single recipe.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Thanks for the tips, Murfee! We are glad you found us, enjoy our recipes and don’t forget to sign up for the October 30-Day Challenge: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge

• Pam says:

ooh thats a good idea for crazy mornings

• BT says:

what a shame to be so wasteful with plastic. i prefer more sustainable packaging. i’m looking after myself, and the planet too!

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey BT. We love our reusable Ball Mason Jars and reusing and Ziplock baggies for green smoothies. 🙂

25. Monika says:

How do you take the ingredients out of the jar if they are frozen?
    Does it take a while?
    Thanks!

26. Khurshid Rogers says:

I’ve never used Romaine lettuce in smoothies but heard it can be an option. Do you know if Romaine freezes nicely?
    Thanks in advance!

Hi Khurshid!

Yes you can freeze Romaine, we like it fresh better. If freezing it works better for you, go for it. 🙂

27. Megan says:

If I freeze an individual smoothie recipe in a ziploc bag, do the contents freeze as one big glob? In other words, how will I fit the frozen contents into the jar of my blender? I use the nutri ninja,so it is not a big blender pitcher that is wide enough to hold frozen contents in the shape of a ziploc bag.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Yes, it will freeze in one piece, sometimes. Before blending, thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.

Hope that helps.

28. Toni says:

When I am prepping to freeze ahead of time, can I put everything I need for the smoothie (other than liquid) in the jar? For example, can I add carrots, hemp seeds, maca powder, etc … do they all freeze okay?

Thank you very much for this site … I am hooked after 2 days of green smoothies! I used to think they looked disgusting and now I am amazed by how good they taste. I think my kids will be hooked too once they try them.

Hey Toni!

Yes, you can freeze it all. We like to say “Fresh is best, but Frozen is a close second” So go for it, and ENJOY! 🙂

29. Glendar says:

What kind of products do you use to wash the produce (greens, fruits and veggies.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Glendar! Check out this link for all this washing your fruits and veggies! 🙂 https://simplegreensmoothies.com/healthy-eating/washing-produce

30. Glendar says:

What kind of product do you wash the greens and fruit with?

Hey Glendar,

Here is an article that should help with your question:

31. Rochelle says:

can I make a gallon and freeze portions ahead for those times when I’m traveling or can’t make?

32. Jessie says:

Has anyone ever froze cucumber and celery like this. Thanks

33. Kathy Durling says:

I have used the green smoothies for a week now. For the first few days my stomach was upset and I just did not feel right. I read where I should drink a lot of water before and after the smoothie. So I did that and it seemed to help. Also read where the feeling could be from my body detoxifying. Please explain to me how blending spinach and fruit makes my body detoxify? If I ate those foods – whole, would I have the same effect? Thanks, Kathy Durling

Hey Kathy!

Our bodies are in a constant battle of fighting processed foods that contain harmful toxins. We have systems set in place inside of us that filter out these toxins so we can stay clean and healthy. Though it is tough to avoid harmful toxins altogether, it is important not to ingest high amounts that can cause build-up and stress to the organs that work to keep us in good health. So, how can we help out our filtering friends? Detox with herbs— which is your challenge for the week.

Detoxifying herbs clean our bodies’ filters, and they are healthy foods with lots of nutrients. This also means we aren’t putting harmful toxins and gunk into our bodies in the first place. When we help our bodies’ filters and eliminate our harmful toxin input we set ourselves up for a clean and healthy life. To help you detox we have made a list of our favorite herbs, what each of them does for your body, and how you can use them in a simple green smoothie.

• Melinda says:

Can you grow all the herbs at home and how many leaves do you put in ?

34. Valerie says:

This is my first day and all the pre preparing ideas are awesome!
    Valerie

35. Lynn says:

My question is on how to freeze spinach and kale, I thought green stuff turned black when frozen. Very new to this, but hubby and I are loving it. Thanks.

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

I just toss my bag into the freezer when my greens are looking like they’re going to go bad.

But you can measure them out and put in a zip bag and toss in the freezer.

Either way works. 🙂

36. Glates says:

I would like to know if the smoothie (1/2 of your recipes) as a meal replacement is all that you have. I find that I am hungry wanting to eat something else. I am taking the challenge on the 1st, so how can I be successful if I am hungry?

• Cindie says:

I am a Flight Attendant. I am sometimes flying 4 days in a row. How do I keep the smoothie thing going when I’m not home to blend daily?

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Cindie — Can you blend ahead of time and keep them in the freezer or fridge? You can drink them up to 2-3 days and just be sure to give them a good shake.

Hope that helps!! 🙂

• Cindie says:

Thank you! I will put it in 4 different disposable containers. One for each day! Looking forward to healthy flying.

Safe travels!

• Glates says:

Can anyone help me with an answer?

• Karen says:

I rarely use the smoothie as a meal replacement except occasionally on weekends when I would normally skip breakfast completely.
        Instead I do a smoothie right after getting home from work to hold me until I can make a decent dinner or as a snack in the evening to avoid other snacking that is much less healthy for me.
        Hope that helps.

• Glates says:

Thanks Karen for the advice. I appreciate it…

• Laurie says:

For meal replacement you may want to add some protein powder, chia seeds, oatmeal, or avocado they all help you stay fuller longer.

• Glates says:

Thanks Laurie. I will try that…

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Hi Glates,
        We recommend drinking 16 ounces if you’re using as a meal replacement. But, if you find you’re hungry, definitely add in some nuts, almond butter, coconut oil, avocado to keep you full longer. 🙂

• Glates says:

Thank you Shauna. Will give it a try!!!

37. Joshua says:

Hi. Just wondering, I’m going to start this tomorrow and was wondering if I could prep my smoothies and the thing is I wake up early but can’t blend in morning. Have a new baby.(have to be quiet). So Can I blend the night before and drink all 32 oz that morning. I get to work at 6 and would like to drink half and then again at 8 drink the other 16oz. Would that be okay? Or would that be drinking too much? Or should one recipe be two different meals?

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Yes Joshua! Feel free to blend the night before (I do it to. I’ve got a 2 month old) and just seal it up tight and give it a good shake in the am. Hope that helps! 🙂

38. Jessica says:

How do you keep the fruit from turning colors when freezing?

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Sometimes you can flash freeze some of the fruit on a tray before adding it to the jar, Jessica!

39. Jade Gardiner says:

Hi,
    what oz jar do you use?
    Thanks!

40. John says:

Can you freeze Ball Jars? Mine are 24oz mason jars.
    Thanks

You can freeze MOST ball jars, John. This page may help you:

41. Pat says:

I have been making smoothies ahead for years! Love that a regular mouth mason jar fits right on a blender. No need to transfer to different containers. Just pull the jar out of the freezer, add in my almond milk (or other liquid), screw on blender blades and voila!!

42. Celestial Health Coaching says:

Love advance prep for healthy meals during the week! I like to add some chia seeds, protein powder or some other yummies too. I have even blended the smoothie and then frozen them already blended in freezer zip lock bags. I take them out of the freezer and let them thaw to put in a cup and drink. Delicious and nutritious!

43. Crystal says:

I am allergic to coconut and avocado … What are recommended substitute

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

It really depends on the smoothie, Crystal. Did you have a specific smoothie in mind?

44. Jim says:

Can you use vacuum seal bags?

45. Cyndi says:

How many smoothies does a prepped quart make?

46. Jesse says:

Make sure that your jars are freezer safe.

47. Crystal says:

Great idea with preparing in advance. I have cut up some of my fruit in the past but they turn brown after I cut them up. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

48. Perla says:

Terrific! This was a big help for me to prep. Wow it was much easier to just get them out of the freezer and go. Thank you very much for the suggestions.
    have a wonderful day!

Peace. Love and Leafy Greens

49. Rachael says:

Thanks for sharing the tips using glass bottles. I will try. Indeed, I use zip bags and just stack them up in freezer.

• Jocelyn says:

Using reusable jars is much better for the environment than disposable plastic bags (unless, of course, you’re rinsing and reusing your bags!).

50. Glates says:

FANTASTIC49, Thanks for the advice. I will try your suggestion. I appreciate all advice…

51. Darlene says:

Never seen you guys use carrots. Do you

52. Darlene says:

I have been doing for months now never seen a recipe with carrots do you ever use them

53. Glates says:

I love the idea of putting all together in a ziploc bag. Your photo appears so clear seeing separation of ingredients. Are you freezing before placing in the bags? I assume having the greens on top allows for blending first with liquid, am I correct?

Hi Glates!
      You can freeze some of the items on a tray for 15 minutes before adding to the jar or bag if you’d like. It helps the items not freeze together!

54. Glates says:

Hi, I love green smoothies but I have been using spinach,kale, half of avocado, frozen pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, whole banana, fresh strawberries, some sliced almonds, chia seeds, whole kiwi and 1 cup of orange juice in one smoothie. Is this too much in one? Is this a lot of calories? I ask because I am not seeing weight loss.. Thanks…

• Fantastic49 says:

there is a great deal of fat and a lot of sugar/calories for one smoothie. i use many of the same ingredients and see weight loss. if you nix the banana altogether, use 1/4 avocado instead of 1/2, remove the almonds and replace the juice with water, that should help. i would also be mindful not use too many chia seeds.

• Glates says:

I replied earlier but just in case. Thanks so much for the advice. I appreciate it and will try your suggestions…

Hi Glates!
      It does seem like a lot for one smoothie. We recommend staying to one leafy green, one liquid, and 2-3 fruits/veggies. We also try to stay to 16 ounces of green smoothie for one serving. Hope this helps!

• Glates says:

Thanks… I was wondering if it was too much and may be full of too many calories to lose weight….

55. Nakia says:

Thanks for this tip, I freeze my fruit but didn’t know I could freeze my greens!

56. Julia says:

I got a question. In the 5 elements theory, frozen products have not much energy left? I am know a bit worried about loosing all the good energy again, when freezing the greens and fruits.

57. Tish says:

I love the green smoothies and found doing the prepping ahead of time so helpful. I had surgery recently and made up a months worth of baggies with ingredients so my husband would only have to push the button on the VitaMix. Worked like a dream! Love you guys and the 30 day challange….I’ve done 2 so far!

58. Linda says:

I have a question regarding stevia. I just bought a plant and was wondering if anyone has used it to sweeten your smoothies. I try not to use too much fruit do to the high sugars so I thought maybe that would work.

Hi Linda,
      We don’t prefer adding sweeteners—even stevia… But do what works best for you! Our green smoothie habits are simply recommendations 🙂

59. Kristina says:

awesome idea, I have been lax on my green smoothies cuz it’s hard to get my act together in the morning AND I usually have a baby on my hip or a toddler pulling at my arm or both!!!! I am going to make a bunch up after the kids are in bed!

60. Mary says:

I love your photography, so beautiful.

61. Angelia says:

Great tip! I never considered doing this. This is the best idea to be certain of consuming a smoothie every single day.
    Thanks!

62. marichu Navarroza says:

Thanks for the very good tips.

63. marichu Navarroza says:

Thanks for the tips it’s very good help.

64. Jill says:

Oh my gosh. What a great tip! I was already saving myself time by cutting up my greens and freezing them, to save prep there. Plus cutting up bananas and storing them frozen, one banana per snack bag. But putting the whole smoothie recipe in one freezer bag or jar is even better! Thanks!

• annie says:

You can also put a lot of bananas into a gallon size freezer baggie. Break them in half or thirds, then pull out what you need to make a smoothie. If they stick together, carefully pry them apart with a sharp knife, or leave them on the counter for a few minutes. Easy!

65. darlene says:

thanks for this, i did the challenge and still doing the smoothies, i make enough for the week and put in fridge is that ok to do. thanks

Hi Darlene!
      We try not to drink a smoothie more than two days after being blended. Hope this helps!

66. Corinne says:

What a great idea! I normally cut my fruit up and then freeze them but it never crossed my mind to pre make my smoothies.
    Thanks!!

67. Marina says:

Thank you, girls, for your website and for helping people change their lives!
    I’ve been making all-vegetable smoothies and enjoy them a lot. My little trick is to add a bit of garlic or onion and a piece of feta cheese for flavour (tiny bit of pink Himalayan sault, if you like more saulty food). It tastes delicious – something like a cold soup. Having said that, I sometimes turn it into a warm soup using a soup button on my Blendtec. It really does make your concoction warm. My favourite is made of tomatoes, cucumber, cellery, spinach, garlic and feta cheese. Yumm.
    Sometimes I use hot water to blend it in although it is not recommended in Blendtec manual.
    What do you think of this?

68. Faye says:

thanks so much for sharing this article, some very good ideas that will be incorporated into my regimen

69. jem says:

I’ve not been successful with the smoothies because they have too much fruit and I am restricted to one fruit per day. Are there smoothies with more veggies and less fruit? Sweetness becomes a problem, I know….especially since I can’t use artificial sweeteners and wouldn’t want to even if I could. Any advice?

• jem says:

Sorry for the second post….I’m just wondering if there are any “sweet veggies” that can substitute….or any other options

• Amy says:

Hey Jem– I make a green smoothie every morning with barely any fruit. What I use: spinach (a handful or two) blended up with water for one round. 2nd round I add cucumber (half, peeled), celery, and a green apple. Green apples I think have lower sugar than most and arent too sweet. Also ginger (1 inch, peeled), when on hand, takes smoothies to a whole new level! Mint is also great to add another dimension and “sweetness” without sugar. I pour the smoothie over ice because none of the ingredients are frozen before hand. hope you like it!

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Check out this page, Jem!

70. Mihaela says:

Such a great tip. Thank you for this.
    With a 4 year old things are quite hectic in the morning so this will be the perfect solution to not skipping a day. Easy and efficient.

71. Shelley says:

I have mentioned on other places that aa a Sabbath observer I frequently mix my smoothie on Friday, store it in the fridg til Saturday morning, and with just a spoon stir it is fine. Also I keep paper cups of frozen blended spinach and toss them with fruit and liquid, fast and easy.

72. Alexis says:

Why Is the fruit placed on a cookie sheet? What’s the difference between doing this versus placing the fruit in ziploc bags?

• Marilynne says:

If you put the cut up fruit on a cookie sheet, all spread out, then it freezes quickly. And when you put the fruit in the ziplock bag, it won’t all get stuck to each other as a blob of fruit because it’s already a frozen unit.
      I usually quick freeze fruit for an hour and then put the fruit into bags.

• Jessica says:

The purpose of the baking sheet is to keep the pieces of the fruit seperated so they do not freeze into each other forming a big frozen chunk of fruit that can be harder to blend smoothly, and sometimes can damage your blender.

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

All great answers for ya, Alexis!

73. Hilary says:

I make my smoothies every night before bed, put it in an airtight container and throw it in the fridge for the morning. I work two jobs, so I pack my lunch as well as my smoothie in a cooler when I leave in the morning. I eat lunch around noon, then have my smoothie at about 4pm to hold me over til 8pm when I finally get home to cook dinner. It makes my long days much easier! Thanks SGS <3

74. Christine says:

I make mine ahead in baggies. And freeze 12-20 at a time. I love my morning smoothie. I find I don’t even finish my one cup of coffe on some days.
    My smoothies are basically always the same. I don’t mind for taste it varies a bit by what’s in the bag or how much yogurt or coconut water I add at blend time. Do you think it’s bad to keep it always the same? The other ingredients like avocado,cucumber are hard to keep on hand ready to go. Any suggestions?

Hi Christine!
      It’s not too bad to have the same smoothie a lot, but we recommend switching it up every now and then to give your body access to different nutrients!

75. ginger young says:

Buy in bulk and freeze ahead. Just add liquid and blend!!!

76. Tam says:

I use frozen organic fruits and greens, still making daily smoothies are time consuming for me. This idea of prepping the ingredients by recipe seems amazingly quick. Can’t wait to give it a whirl.

77. Jean says:

I have been doing the prepackaging if fruit for awhile. I will definitely be making the smoothie and freezing it for mornings when there isn’t an extra minute as I head out the door. Thank you so much for the tip and the awesone recipes. I live this site.

78. Candy says:

I have had a bit of trouble drinking one everyday and getting to the store for the different recipe ingredients. However, I think this a fantastic opportunity and gift to so many. Thank you very much for the recipes. I want to try each one. You have helped me to lose around 9 pounds.

79. Patricia says:

I make several smoothies & freeze them. This is really convenient for me. I just grab & go in the morning.

80. JoanStrachan says:

I LIKE YOUR IDEA OF PREPARING SMOOTHIES A HEAD OF TIME I ALWAYS ENJOYED YOUR TIP THANKS

81. Marilynne says:

Great tips everyone!

My easiest time saving tip is to pre-blend all the spinach and freeze it. I can fit three cups of fresh baby spinach and 3/4 cup of water in my Thermomix and I blitz it until it is a green liquid. I divide all of that into three little containers and put them in the freezer. I repeat this process using about 500 grams of spinach. That way I always have a measured out cup of greens ready to add to my smoothie. The in the morning I throw in the fruit, liquid and pre-blended greens and blitz for 20 seconds. Done!

82. Nicole says:

I buy in bulk, blend a lot of ingredients then freeze them in ice cube trays. Once frozen I transfer to smoothie bags so the ingredients are quick and easy and take up less space in my small freezer. I have one for spinach, one for pear and mango etc 🙂

Some of these ice cubes are also great in drinks or yummy to eat by themselves on a hot day 🙂

83. Mary says:

Glad to get the visual pics to remind my brain to plan ahead of time. Lately, because I get up extra early for work and forget to make smoothie before I go to bed because I’m going to bed too late…! … Now I will think of these pics and organize the ingredients and store. But when I remember, I make them at night and just leave in the vitamix in frig and then whizz up again in the morning. (But then I have to stop and clean up blender, get containers, etc) So I will try your idea and store and just enjoy fresh every morning! Thanks!

84. Laurie says:

I am going to start doing this for quicker smoothies! Also when is the next 30 day challenge? I really like participating it keeps me on track!

85. Spring says:

Great idea, thanks for sharing. I will begin prepping tonight, so that I will be able to make my smoothies a little faster in the mornings! This too will help me to get my measures more accurately, so I make one smoothie instead of two! lol

86. Kamaya says:

Great idea!!! I know what I’ll be doing on Sundays while preparing dinner!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

87. Stacey says:

I really like the freeze method.. saving time is what makes this possible for me… my sunday afternoons are chopping and freezing for the week, I am now 3 days ahead of what I need. I hope to be 7 soon. great tips. thanks Stacey

88. KathyLemmon says:

I’ve been freezing my smoothies for several years and it works great for me. I make enough for the week and pour them into paper cups, add a “lid” of sticky wrap and pop them in the freezer. They transport well to work straight out of the freezer and by mid morning they are thawed to a slushy state. I just give the smoothy a quick stir and enjoy! The frozen smoothies are perfect for my busy schedule.

89. Julianne says:

My husband & I swear by our morning smoothies! To make the process easier, (and cheaper!,) we often look to the “bargain bin” of fruit at the grocery store. The stores near us have a shelf where bananas/mangos/oranges, etc that are starting to go brown, or are getting very ripe are marked way down. We stock up on this fruit when it’s on sale and chop it up & freeze it on cookie sheets when we get home. Once the fruit has been flash frozen, we transfer it to containers we keep in our freezer for frozen smoothie fruit that can be quickly added to our blender in the mornings. Using this method, we’ve been able to regularly buy organic bananas for 30-39 cents per pound!

90. Shauna says:

This may seem like a silly question. You said to write the liquid amounts on the front. I’m assuming this means you don’t put the liquid in the jars when you freeze them? I realize it would freeze, but if you’re going to thaw them a bit before blending, do you think it would be a big problem? I’m trying to save as much time as possible in the morning. Thanks

Hi Shauna,
      I would still keep the liquid separate. Fruit will thaw a bit quicker than liquid will. Plus, you don’t need to the fruit completely thawed before blending. Hope this helps!

• Fantastic49 says:

You could also measure out the liquid you need in advance and store that in the fridge. Then in the morning, you just grab your bag or jar from the freezer, your liquid from the fridge and throw it all in the blender.

91. Esther says:

Hi guys just started the 30 days smoothie challenges i would like to know what is the best time in the day to drink our smoothie ?? thanks good job

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Anytime, really. Lots of people drink them for breakfast so they can start their day on the right foot, but others drink theirs for lunch, dinner, or even as a snack!

92. Andrea says:

Thanks for the great tips. Do the fruits and greens lose any of their nutritional value after being cut and then does the the freezing process degrade them at all? I live in a cold climate most of the year so would prefer to defrost them in the fridge overnight before blending but am concerned i’d be losing some of the nutrition.

Hi Andrea,
      You’ll be losing a bit of nutrition, but not much! We think it’s worth it to freeze produce to help it last longer and make it more affordable!

93. Smoojie says:

Hey guys, I have a quick question about the nuts/seeds within fruits.

For example, with apples, should you de seed it prior to putting it into the blender?

What fruits should you take the nuts out of?

Thanks in advance, just want to know which are not good to consume health wise

Hi!
      There really is no generally rule one which you need to take seeds/nuts out of, and which ones you don’t. We usually core apples so there are no seeds, but we hear of others that just toss the whole thing in (my grandpa eats apples whole). Most fruits should be deseeded before blending.

• Catherine Roe says:

You should not eat the seeds of apples. The seeds may contain trace amounts of cyanide according to Michael T. Murray, who wrote “the complete book of juicing”. There are some others that you should not eat as well. You can google the fruit to find out which you can and can’t eat.

• Andrea says:

You would have to eat thousands of apple seeds to have any effect. Thats my understanding and i’ve been juicing and blending them for years.

94. Amy says:

I just wanted to say thanks for all the useful info in this post. A friend and I started our green smoothie challenge January 1 2014 and I never stopped. When the April challenge started we started a Facebook group and invited friends to join the challenge. We are approx. 8 -10 Strong at the moment and everyone is really getting into the spirit of the challenge. We share any tips we can with everyone including these wonderful ideas. Thank you again.

95. Dana says:

What size canning jars were used for this?

96. Dana says:

Hi,

How does everyone feel about blending smoothies for the month and then freezing them? That way you just pull the finished product out and take it with?

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

We don’t personally do it, Dana, but we’ve heard of others doing it… Not sure how well it works.

• Jeannie Rodbell says:

It’s great! I use plastic bags, then Just grap and go. Or take out of the freezer, get in the shower and by the time I’m ready, so is the smoothie. Within about 20 minutes i put my straw in and drink it from the bag. That way You can get all of it and don’t dirty a glass. Double bonus. Another bonus, you can just clean the blender once a month and not daily.

97. Joan Sumner says:

Hi Dan – I live near Edinburgh, Scotland and most of our fruit is imported/expensive so the advice on freezing unused fruit rather than binning is really useful. My difficulty is the ‘cup’ measures your recipes suggest – in UK we tend to use grams/ounces.

The online interpretation of US cup = 8 UK fluid oz (liquid) and 8 UK oz (solids). Made my first green smoothie yesterday (delicious) but had difficulty getting the lid on my blender over tightly packed ingredients!! Ended up eating it with a spoon. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Joan!
      The liquid measurements are right, but I’m not sure that 1 cup of solids equals 8 ounces of solids… It’s tough, because none of us are too familiar with UK measurements. A cup of fruit is about one large handful, if that helps at all…

• Claire Wood says:

Hi Joan, I also live in the UK, and until recently struggled with the US cup to UK grams/ounce conversion.
      I picked up a cup measuring set in Dunelm Mills which have been very useful. If you don’t have a Dunelm near you, then maybe a cook shop will have them, or perhaps you can get a set on-line. Good luck.

98. Karen says:

I have been banking fruits in my freezer by processing say an entire bag of red grapes at once by de-stemming them and washing them, then measure out 1 cup and seal it into a snack sized zip-top bag. When my hubby and I cut up pineapple, we do two at a time and measure and bag the same way. Mangoes we buy 5-6 at a time and clean them all at once, bagging and freezing the same way.

Buy the fruit in season or on sale and get it into the freezer before any goes bad. Then, we keep an inventory on a white board of how many cups of each fruit we have. If we run out of snack sized bags, the sandwich size works fine too. I buy bananas 2 or 3 bunches at a time and when they get to the perfect ripeness, we peel them all and lay them out on a cookie sheet covered in plastic wrap then set the whole thing in the freezer. You can then stand the frozen bananas in a gallon sized zip-top bag and get a dozen or more in a single bag, then you can just pull out the number needed and break them into 3-4 pieces before adding to the blender.
    For things that need roasted before adding to smoothies, we roast a bunch at a time then let them cool and measure into the amount need for the recipe (1/4 cup of beets or 1 cup of sweet potatoes) then freeze.

The small rectangular reusable plastic containers like Gladware (but I always buy store brand) work great too and are great for things like avocado, grapefruit sections, peeled kiwi, etc. They are see-thru and stack-able. The size I like best is the one that holds just over a cup.

If something calls for a teaspoon of lime juice, I squeeze all the juice I can out of the lime and use what I need that night, then measure the rest into a small “baby” muffin latex pan and freeze, then pop out the frozen 1 teaspoon disks and bag them in a snack size zip-top bag labeled and ready to go. No waste, and easier next time.

I don’t process all the fruit the same day, just as I am using a particular one or as it becomes ripe. I have been known to cut a pear from top to bottom in quarters and throw the whole pear with core and stem removed into a sandwich sized bag. The one thing I have not found in pre-frozen bags that I wish I could is pomegranate seeds. Those are so messy!

We love our smoothies to be easy and quick as an after work snack to hold us so we have time to cook a healthier dinner without snacking on empty calories because we are starving after work.

If the fruit is pre-measured and in the freezer, there is no excuse for skipping your smoothie (and why would you want to?)!

I never considered getting the smoothies ready like you show here ahead of time, I just measure and rinse the greens, let them drain, use the markings on the side of the blender to measure the liquid, then add the greens and the rest is a piece of cake! 5 Minutes or less and it’s “Smoothie Time!”. Which in our house, is like yelling dessert or ice cream.

Thanks so much for the Simple Green Smoothie website, you have changed mine and my husbands life for the better! We eat so much more produce now and less gets wasted too.

Blessings to the whole Simple Green Smoothie crew!

Hi!
      Thanks for sharing all your tips! It’s neat to see how other people prep for green smoothies, and all the ways that work to make green smoothies easy and nutritious. We’re glad you are a part of our community, and hope you keep giving valuable input like this!

• jim says:

Karen it’s not just pomegranate seeds buts but I found target has an antioxidant mix that is (if I remember correctly) cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberry and pomegranate seeds. It’s the actual target brand. Not organic but could work in a pinch.

99. Dianne says:

Can glass bottles be placed in the freezer? I thought they would crack.

• SGS Rawkstar Dan says:

Hi Dianne! Be sure to look if they are freezer safe. A lot of times, jars will say whether or not they are safe. Most Ball and Kerr jars are freezer safe.

• Dianne says:

Thank you for your quick reply, I live in Sydney and have never heard of that brand. I will check it out on the internet.

100. Dianne says:

Can glass bottles be placed in the freezer. I thought they would crack.

1 2 3 4

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE