TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

Are you ready to RAWK your smoothie world? With my simple smoothie prep guide, you’ll be saving time and money with just a little bit of work.

The next healthy habit to embrace on your road to health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”  ― Benjamin Franklin

Can I get an amen on Franklin’s words of wisdom for us all?

Make ahead smoothies really save me precious time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit, measuring anything or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. (because we know that happens to all of us!)

Smoothie ingredients used to prep ahead

3 Smoothie Prep Benefits

1. Enjoyable time in the kitchen: I actually enjoy spending a few minutes on Sundays prepping smoothies for the week (or month!). I crank up Alexa and turn my kitchen into a cooking show… yet there’s no meal to put on the table or pots and pans to clean!
  2. Sets the foundation for healthier habits. According to a recent study, “Spending less than one hour a day preparing food at home is associated with eating more fast food and spending more money eating out.”
  3. It’s the easiest way to prep ahead for the week. Now, I know it can be hard to meal plan each week, but smoothie prep is such a simple task…AND it creates big results. I hope you give it a shot with my step by step tutorial…

Let’s get started!

How to prep ahead smoothies for the week with bags or jars
Smoothie ingredients all laid out to prep for the week
Make Ahead Smoothies in freezer with bags stacked nicely

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Guide

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Prep Time: 30
  • Total Time: 30
  • Yield: 7 smoothies
  • Category: smoothies
  • Method: blending
  • Cuisine: healthy

Make smoothies in half the time with our make ahead smoothie prep guide. You can use this process to prep for a day, a week or even a month– depending on how much space you have in your freezer!

• measuring cups
  • quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
  • permanent marker
  • your fav fruit and leafy greens
  • our Daily Blends smoothie recipe app!

1. Decide which recipes you’ll make for the week and have the recipe on hand. Feel free to use our Smoothie library for inspiration.
  2. Slice or cut fruit into chunks.  You can also cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

3. Label bag and jar lids with recipe name and date. Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack (to have when you’re ready to blend).
  4. Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.
  5. Remove as much air as possible from bags and jars when sealing closed. Pack fruit and leafy greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.
  6. Place in freezer. Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
  7. When ready to use, remove from freezer. Add liquid base to container or bag (which helps defrost the fruit slightly). You can also thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.
  8. Pour into blender and blend until smooth.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.
  • If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.
  • Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

Keywords: smoothie prep, make ahead smoothie,

smoothie recipe cards, cut fruit and measuring cups for make ahead smoothies

In addition to prepping your smoothies, you can also freeze them blended. Yep! You can actually blend your smoothies and freeze them until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Comment+

1. Dianne

April 1st, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Can glass bottles be placed in the freezer. I thought they would crack.

2. Dianne

April 1st, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Can glass bottles be placed in the freezer? I thought they would crack.

3. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 2nd, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi Dianne! Be sure to look if they are freezer safe. A lot of times, jars will say whether or not they are safe. Most Ball and Kerr jars are freezer safe.

4. Dianne

April 2nd, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Thank you for your quick reply, I live in Sydney and have never heard of that brand. I will check it out on the internet.

5. Karen

April 3rd, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I have been banking fruits in my freezer by processing say an entire bag of red grapes at once by de-stemming them and washing them, then measure out 1 cup and seal it into a snack sized zip-top bag. When my hubby and I cut up pineapple, we do two at a time and measure and bag the same way. Mangoes we buy 5-6 at a time and clean them all at once, bagging and freezing the same way.

Buy the fruit in season or on sale and get it into the freezer before any goes bad. Then, we keep an inventory on a white board of how many cups of each fruit we have. If we run out of snack sized bags, the sandwich size works fine too. I buy bananas 2 or 3 bunches at a time and when they get to the perfect ripeness, we peel them all and lay them out on a cookie sheet covered in plastic wrap then set the whole thing in the freezer. You can then stand the frozen bananas in a gallon sized zip-top bag and get a dozen or more in a single bag, then you can just pull out the number needed and break them into 3-4 pieces before adding to the blender.
    For things that need roasted before adding to smoothies, we roast a bunch at a time then let them cool and measure into the amount need for the recipe (1/4 cup of beets or 1 cup of sweet potatoes) then freeze.

The small rectangular reusable plastic containers like Gladware (but I always buy store brand) work great too and are great for things like avocado, grapefruit sections, peeled kiwi, etc. They are see-thru and stack-able. The size I like best is the one that holds just over a cup.

If something calls for a teaspoon of lime juice, I squeeze all the juice I can out of the lime and use what I need that night, then measure the rest into a small “baby” muffin latex pan and freeze, then pop out the frozen 1 teaspoon disks and bag them in a snack size zip-top bag labeled and ready to go. No waste, and easier next time.

I don’t process all the fruit the same day, just as I am using a particular one or as it becomes ripe. I have been known to cut a pear from top to bottom in quarters and throw the whole pear with core and stem removed into a sandwich sized bag. The one thing I have not found in pre-frozen bags that I wish I could is pomegranate seeds. Those are so messy!

We love our smoothies to be easy and quick as an after work snack to hold us so we have time to cook a healthier dinner without snacking on empty calories because we are starving after work.

If the fruit is pre-measured and in the freezer, there is no excuse for skipping your smoothie (and why would you want to?)!

I never considered getting the smoothies ready like you show here ahead of time, I just measure and rinse the greens, let them drain, use the markings on the side of the blender to measure the liquid, then add the greens and the rest is a piece of cake! 5 Minutes or less and it’s “Smoothie Time!”. Which in our house, is like yelling dessert or ice cream.

Thanks so much for the Simple Green Smoothie website, you have changed mine and my husbands life for the better! We eat so much more produce now and less gets wasted too.

Blessings to the whole Simple Green Smoothie crew!

6. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 4th, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hi!
    Thanks for sharing all your tips! It’s neat to see how other people prep for green smoothies, and all the ways that work to make green smoothies easy and nutritious. We’re glad you are a part of our community, and hope you keep giving valuable input like this!

7. jim

April 8th, 2014 at 10:32 am

Karen it’s not just pomegranate seeds buts but I found target has an antioxidant mix that is (if I remember correctly) cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberry and pomegranate seeds. It’s the actual target brand. Not organic but could work in a pinch.

8. jim

April 8th, 2014 at 10:33 am

Sorry. Forgot to add they were frozen.

9. Joan Sumner

April 8th, 2014 at 6:43 am

Hi Dan – I live near Edinburgh, Scotland and most of our fruit is imported/expensive so the advice on freezing unused fruit rather than binning is really useful. My difficulty is the ‘cup’ measures your recipes suggest – in UK we tend to use grams/ounces.

The online interpretation of US cup = 8 UK fluid oz (liquid) and 8 UK oz (solids). Made my first green smoothie yesterday (delicious) but had difficulty getting the lid on my blender over tightly packed ingredients!! Ended up eating it with a spoon. What am I doing wrong?

10. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 8th, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Hi Joan!
    The liquid measurements are right, but I’m not sure that 1 cup of solids equals 8 ounces of solids… It’s tough, because none of us are too familiar with UK measurements. A cup of fruit is about one large handful, if that helps at all…

11. Claire Wood

April 13th, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Hi Joan, I also live in the UK, and until recently struggled with the US cup to UK grams/ounce conversion.
    I picked up a cup measuring set in Dunelm Mills which have been very useful. If you don’t have a Dunelm near you, then maybe a cook shop will have them, or perhaps you can get a set on-line. Good luck.

12. Dana

April 8th, 2014 at 9:50 am

Hi,

How does everyone feel about blending smoothies for the month and then freezing them? That way you just pull the finished product out and take it with?

13. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 8th, 2014 at 12:20 pm

We don’t personally do it, Dana, but we’ve heard of others doing it… Not sure how well it works.

14. Jeannie Rodbell

January 5th, 2017 at 9:17 am

It’s great! I use plastic bags, then Just grap and go. Or take out of the freezer, get in the shower and by the time I’m ready, so is the smoothie. Within about 20 minutes i put my straw in and drink it from the bag. That way You can get all of it and don’t dirty a glass. Double bonus. Another bonus, you can just clean the blender once a month and not daily.

15. Dana

April 8th, 2014 at 10:00 am

What size canning jars were used for this?

16. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 8th, 2014 at 12:20 pm

1 quart, or 32 ounces!

17. Amy

April 8th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for all the useful info in this post. A friend and I started our green smoothie challenge January 1 2014 and I never stopped. When the April challenge started we started a Facebook group and invited friends to join the challenge. We are approx. 8 -10 Strong at the moment and everyone is really getting into the spirit of the challenge. We share any tips we can with everyone including these wonderful ideas. Thank you again.

18. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 9th, 2014 at 10:36 am

So glad you’re enjoying it, Amy!

19. Smoojie

April 15th, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Hey guys, I have a quick question about the nuts/seeds within fruits.

For example, with apples, should you de seed it prior to putting it into the blender?

What fruits should you take the nuts out of?

Thanks in advance, just want to know which are not good to consume health wise

20. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 16th, 2014 at 9:15 am

Hi!
    There really is no generally rule one which you need to take seeds/nuts out of, and which ones you don’t. We usually core apples so there are no seeds, but we hear of others that just toss the whole thing in (my grandpa eats apples whole). Most fruits should be deseeded before blending.

21. Catherine Roe

May 15th, 2014 at 11:42 am

You should not eat the seeds of apples. The seeds may contain trace amounts of cyanide according to Michael T. Murray, who wrote “the complete book of juicing”. There are some others that you should not eat as well. You can google the fruit to find out which you can and can’t eat.

22. Andrea

May 15th, 2014 at 3:14 pm

You would have to eat thousands of apple seeds to have any effect. Thats my understanding and i’ve been juicing and blending them for years.

23. Andrea

May 2nd, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Thanks for the great tips. Do the fruits and greens lose any of their nutritional value after being cut and then does the the freezing process degrade them at all? I live in a cold climate most of the year so would prefer to defrost them in the fridge overnight before blending but am concerned i’d be losing some of the nutrition.

24. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 3rd, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hi Andrea,
    You’ll be losing a bit of nutrition, but not much! We think it’s worth it to freeze produce to help it last longer and make it more affordable!

25. Esther

May 6th, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Hi guys just started the 30 days smoothie challenges i would like to know what is the best time in the day to drink our smoothie ?? thanks good job

26. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 7th, 2014 at 8:31 am

Anytime, really. Lots of people drink them for breakfast so they can start their day on the right foot, but others drink theirs for lunch, dinner, or even as a snack!

27. Shauna

May 8th, 2014 at 11:34 am

This may seem like a silly question. You said to write the liquid amounts on the front. I’m assuming this means you don’t put the liquid in the jars when you freeze them? I realize it would freeze, but if you’re going to thaw them a bit before blending, do you think it would be a big problem? I’m trying to save as much time as possible in the morning. Thanks

28. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 8th, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Hi Shauna,
    I would still keep the liquid separate. Fruit will thaw a bit quicker than liquid will. Plus, you don’t need to the fruit completely thawed before blending. Hope this helps!

29. Fantastic49

May 16th, 2014 at 4:30 am

You could also measure out the liquid you need in advance and store that in the fridge. Then in the morning, you just grab your bag or jar from the freezer, your liquid from the fridge and throw it all in the blender.

30. Julianne

May 15th, 2014 at 8:50 am

My husband & I swear by our morning smoothies! To make the process easier, (and cheaper!,) we often look to the “bargain bin” of fruit at the grocery store. The stores near us have a shelf where bananas/mangos/oranges, etc that are starting to go brown, or are getting very ripe are marked way down. We stock up on this fruit when it’s on sale and chop it up & freeze it on cookie sheets when we get home. Once the fruit has been flash frozen, we transfer it to containers we keep in our freezer for frozen smoothie fruit that can be quickly added to our blender in the mornings. Using this method, we’ve been able to regularly buy organic bananas for 30-39 cents per pound!

31. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 15th, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Great idea, Julianne! Thanks for sharing!

32. KathyLemmon

May 15th, 2014 at 9:06 am

I’ve been freezing my smoothies for several years and it works great for me. I make enough for the week and pour them into paper cups, add a “lid” of sticky wrap and pop them in the freezer. They transport well to work straight out of the freezer and by mid morning they are thawed to a slushy state. I just give the smoothy a quick stir and enjoy! The frozen smoothies are perfect for my busy schedule.

33. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 15th, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Awesome, KathyLemmon!

34. Stacey

May 15th, 2014 at 9:31 am

I really like the freeze method.. saving time is what makes this possible for me… my sunday afternoons are chopping and freezing for the week, I am now 3 days ahead of what I need. I hope to be 7 soon. great tips. thanks Stacey

35. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 15th, 2014 at 12:15 pm

You can do it, Stacey! Seven days ahead would be great!

36. Kamaya

May 15th, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Great idea!!! I know what I’ll be doing on Sundays while preparing dinner!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

37. Spring

May 15th, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Great idea, thanks for sharing. I will begin prepping tonight, so that I will be able to make my smoothies a little faster in the mornings! This too will help me to get my measures more accurately, so I make one smoothie instead of two! lol

38. Laurie

May 15th, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I am going to start doing this for quicker smoothies! Also when is the next 30 day challenge? I really like participating it keeps me on track!

39. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 16th, 2014 at 9:13 am

It starts July 1, Laurie!

40. Mary

May 15th, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Glad to get the visual pics to remind my brain to plan ahead of time. Lately, because I get up extra early for work and forget to make smoothie before I go to bed because I’m going to bed too late…! … Now I will think of these pics and organize the ingredients and store. But when I remember, I make them at night and just leave in the vitamix in frig and then whizz up again in the morning. (But then I have to stop and clean up blender, get containers, etc) So I will try your idea and store and just enjoy fresh every morning! Thanks!

41. Nicole

May 15th, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I buy in bulk, blend a lot of ingredients then freeze them in ice cube trays. Once frozen I transfer to smoothie bags so the ingredients are quick and easy and take up less space in my small freezer. I have one for spinach, one for pear and mango etc 🙂

Some of these ice cubes are also great in drinks or yummy to eat by themselves on a hot day 🙂

42. Marilynne

May 15th, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Great tips everyone!

My easiest time saving tip is to pre-blend all the spinach and freeze it. I can fit three cups of fresh baby spinach and 3/4 cup of water in my Thermomix and I blitz it until it is a green liquid. I divide all of that into three little containers and put them in the freezer. I repeat this process using about 500 grams of spinach. That way I always have a measured out cup of greens ready to add to my smoothie. The in the morning I throw in the fruit, liquid and pre-blended greens and blitz for 20 seconds. Done!

1 2 3 17
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM