Let’s celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a green smoothie that’ll fuel your body right, taste great, and…. is totally green! Give your body a reason to celebrate with this fantastic vegan shamrock shake recipe.
I’m talkin’ all the classic shamrock shake flavor you love, blended to perfection with ingredients that will fuel your body.
Table of Contents
What Makes a Shamrock Shake Vegan?
A shamrock shake is typically made with dairy in the ice cream and whipped cream. If it is made with chocolate, then that also contains dairy. My version eliminates dairy altogether, because my tummy tends to be happier without dairy products. And let’s be honest, if I can indulge in a decadent treat AND still feel good, then I’m all in.
If you’re like me, and pick food based on looks as well as taste, then you definitely need some fun toppings for this vegan shamrock shake. I like to top with coconut whipped cream. Then sprinkle with cacao nibs, or shavings from a vegan chocolate bar. And every delicious shake needs a cherry, right?!
A sprig or two of fresh mint will refine this beverage, as well as turn it into the shamrock shake of your dreams.
Naturally Low Sugar in Smoothies
I know dessert, even whole food + plant based ones, can still have a lot of sugar in them. To lower the sugar level in this shamrock shake recipe, replace the banana with 1/2 cup cauliflower (I like to use frozen).
You can also add in a serving of plant-based protein powder, like my protein powder recipe to up the protein + healthy fat content. This will help your body turn the sugar from this shake into lasting energy, instead of a sugar crash.
Easy Ingredient Swaps
The shamrock shake flavor comes from the mint. If fresh mint can’t be easily found, then up the spinach to 1 full cup, and add a few drops of mint extract. That way you don’t miss out on the leafy green goodness while still getting that minty flavor. If you want a chocolate boost, yet don’t want the crunchy topping, then add in a tablespoon of cacao powder when blending.
More Dessert Smoothies
If this vegan shamrock shake sparked your interest in more dessert smoothies, then give these recipes a shot! I love creating sweet treats that my body can feel good about consuming. Cheers to your next dessert night with one of these incredible desserts:
- Banana ‘nice’ cream
- Raspberry smoothie
- Berry banana split
- Coconut joy smoothie bowl
- Strawberry milkshake
- Skinny mint smoothie
- Chocolate smoothie bowl
- Blackberry coconut sorbet
Now, these sweet treats are legit tasty, I promise. If I’m going to indulge in something sweet, I want it to be good. So pick the one that sounds yummy and go for it!
Don’t forget to try this vegan shamrock shake, then leave a rating + review below to let me know how you liked it.
Vegan Shamrock Shake
- 1 tbsp whipped coconut cream optional
- 1 tsp cacao nibs optional
- 1 sweet cherry optional
- Blend spinach, mint, and coconut milk until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
- Pour over ice or use frozen banana if you prefer a colder smoothie.
- Use at least 1 frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.
- If you can’t find fresh mint then up the spinach to 1 cup and add a few drops of mint extract.
- Use full-fat coconut milk for a more shake-like texture, or carton coconut milk for less healthy fat and a thinner consistency.
- Soak Medjool dates in water for 20 minutes before blending if your blender has a hard time blending certain ingredients.