Taste the real rainbow with this simple fruit smoothie bowl. Even the pickiest of picky eaters will fall in love with this vitamin C-packed bowl. Smoothie bowls are a fancy way to upgrade your daily smoothie. Try this fruit smoothie bowl with healthy granola or some hemp hearts.
The gorgeous deep purple color, thanks to the blueberries, is a favorite of many. Eating the rainbow never tasted so healthy and delicious! This thick and creamy smoothie bowl recipe is a tasty treat featured in my book, Simple Green Smoothies. If you ever feel like shaking up your green smoothie routine, then smoothie bowls are the way to go.
Table of Contents
Fruit Smoothie Bowl Ingredients
I often call this a rainbow smoothie bowl since it really does include a rainbow of ingredients. Each one is a powerhouse of nutrients in its own way, but blended together it becomes the ultimate boost for your body through fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C.
- Spinach: I love adding leafy greens to smoothie bowls to boost protein, vitamin C and fiber.
- Orange: This awesome citrus acts as both fruit and liquid so no need to add extra water to this blended bowl.
- Strawberries: Frozen strawberries are picked at the peak freshness so they are super sweet and bursting with flavor.
- Blueberries: These tiny berries are antioxidant powerhouses and a mild ingredient for smoothie bowls.
- Banana: Finish this recipe off with just a touch of sweetness from a fresh banana.
While you could eat a smoothie bowl plain, why would you deprive yourself of the opportunity for toppings? I topped the bowl with juicy oranges, bright kiwis, gorgeous strawberries and delightful blueberries. You can also use crunchy toppings like hemp hearts, nuts and seeds, or some healthy granola.
Swirling nut butter over the top adds healthy fat that tastes yummy as well as helps your body break down the natural fruit sugars. What’s your favorite way to top a fruit smoothie bowl?
How to Make a Fruit Smoothie Bowl
You can make your own smoothie bowl creation by simply decreasing the amount of liquid in your favorite smoothie recipes. If you want to make a fresh bowl right from the start, follow these simple instructions:
- Start by blending the spinach and orange until smooth. It might take a bit for your blender to break down the spinach leaves until there are no leafy chunks. I like to lightly peel my oranges so they keep the white pith on them, loaded with nutrients.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth. Since the frozen fruit won’t have a whole lot of liquid to help them break down, use the tamper (if you’re using a high powered blender) or stop your blender and scrape down the sides as many times as needed for a smooth blend.
- Once your smoothie bowl reaches the consistency of soft serve ice cream, scoop into a bowl and top away!
Green Smoothie Bowl FAQs
They can be! My smoothie bowls use 100% real fruit and plant-based ingredients. Feel free to add leafy greens or plant-based protein powder for extra protein, healthy fat and nutrients to boost the goodness even more.
Start with a very small amount of liquid. It should take a bit for your blender to fully blend a smoothie bowl and the end consistency should be like soft serve. Blending frozen fruit also helps thicken a smoothie bowl.
This fruit smoothie bowl features a rainbow of produce including spinach, orange, strawberries, blueberries and bananas. Don’t be afraid to try new ingredients. You never know what might taste fabulous together!
More Smoothie Bowl Recipes
Do you have a favorite smoothie bowl recipe? If you do, share it with us in the comments below. We’d love to hear your favorite toppings too. We always love hearing from you! If you’re new to smoothie bowls then check out the below recipes for some new inspiration:
- Iron-Rich Smoothie Bowl: This is a great way to boost iron and one I use on the regular.
- Chocolate ‘Pudding’ Smoothie Bowl: A classic dessert with unique ingredients; perfect for a date night in.
- Acai Smoothie Bowl: My fav Summer breakfast; super refreshing and perfect for all those freshly picked berries.
- Maple Smoothie Bowl: A festive way to ring in Autumn.
- Tropical Smoothie Bowl: This refreshing bowl is the perfect way to take your mind on a mini vacay.
- Coconut Joy Smoothie Bowl: My go-to bowl for when that sweet tooth hits.
- Pineapple Smoothie Bowl: My kids love this bowl as an afternoon snack.
- Berry Smoothie Bowl: Such an easy recipe to make and enjoy with the berries of your choice!
Don’t forget to rate + review this recipe after you’ve enjoyed it. I’d love to read how you topped yours!
Fruit Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 orange peeled
- ½ cup strawberries frozen
- ½ cup blueberries frozen
- ½ banana
- 1 serving homemade protein powder optional
- orange sliced
- banana sliced
- kiwi peeled and sliced
- Blend the spinach and orange until smooth.
- Add the strawberries, blueberries and banana and blend again, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Pour into a bowl and top with sliced fruit.
- Use at least one frozen fruit to chill down your smoothie bowl.
- To cut down on the natural sugar swap 1/2 banana with 1/4 avocado.
- Blend in plant-based protein powder for extra protein + healthy fat.
- Top as you wish with fresh fruit, nuts, seeds and more!