Enjoy this simple and tasty Immune System Booster smoothie that’s packed with vitamin C, healing herbs and essential vitamins and minerals. You can drink it daily since it’s packed with immune system booster foods that support immunity.
Getting sick is no fun at all. It can mean missing work or activities; plus, who wants to feel yucky anyway? Not us! Let’s talk about how to boost your immune system quickly using whole foods and then give this Mango Ginger Immune Boost Recipe a blend. It was submitted by one of our community rawkstars, Gregory!
I love using natural remedies to ward off sickness and this smoothie is a great place to start.
Table of Contents
Immune System Booster Smoothie Ingredients
A vibrant, refreshing smoothie with ingredients uniquely chosen for their nutrient-dense magic? Sign me up! Here’s what I’m blending (and why):
- Spinach: A powerhouse plant with vitamins A and C as well as a host of antioxidants designed to fight free radicals in the body.
- Celery: This crunchy veggie helps lower inflammation, which needs to happen for your body to focus on fighting illness successfully.
- Fresh Parsley: Parsley supports kidney function by flushing out excess fluid from the body. It’s loaded with vitamin K . A half cup is more than 500% of the daily value. Whoa!
- Cucumber: Unpeeled cucumber contains fiber, vitamin K and antioxidants plus is a great source of hydration.
- Ginger root: If you feel a sniffle or cold coming on then gingerol will help kick that cold to the curb just a bit faster. A little goes a long way with this one! And make sure you use fresh for the best results.
- Mango: Mango provides natural sweetness as well as adds more vitamin C to this smoothie which helps make it enjoyable to drink.
- Lemon: Citrus fruits like lemon are freshest during winter months and packed with vitamin C. Use a whole (peeled) lemon to get nutrients from the white pith as well.
More Immune-Supporting Foods
If you’re looking to stay as healthy as possible this season, focus on consuming these foods on a regular basis. You’ll find fewer illnesses hitting your household and the ones that do won’t hit you as hard or as long if you start fighting back now.
|Leafy Greens||Citrus Fruit|
How to Boost Your System Quickly
When I prioritize my health before illness hits, I find I have a better chance of being less sick or not sick at all, even during the hardest months of the year. Here’s how I choose to give my body a fighting chance during cold and flu season:
- Daily green smoothies: No matter what the day brings, I know I’m starting it the right way with a green smoothie. (If you want a warmer option for winter, try a warm smoothie!)
- Immune system booster foods: I take the above list seriously when it comes to shopping and cooking throughout the winter months.
- Sleep: Take advantage of the shorter sunlight hours and give yourself the gift of sleep. If quality sleep is hard to come by then try a few sleep tips.
- Exercise: When life gets busy, exercise is harder to come by. Setting aside 30 minutes during my lunch break to move (walk, run or yoga) helps make it easier to move my body.
- Natural remedies: At the start of each school year, I make sure I’ve got the following on hand to help the whole family: fire cider, elderberry syrup, natural vapor rub, and honey lemon ginger tea. These support us in sickness and in health!
Immune System Boost Smoothie Recipe
I know this recipe may have some ingredients you aren’t used to blending, but don’t be afraid to give it a try! Let new flavor combinations surprise your senses and support your body in the best way possible.
- Start by blending the leafy greens and liquid. This includes the spinach, celery and parsley leaves. I like to blend these together first since it can take them a while to break down. Feel free to stop your blender and scrape down the sides to make sure you blend all the leafy chunks.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth. This will give you the smoothest, most palatable finished product. Make sure you remove any seeds from the lemon and peel the ginger/chop it for the best results.
Pro tip: use fresh parsley and ginger root for this recipe. Dried herbs don’t have the same nutritional power that fresh ones do, and you want the most bang for your blend to boost that immune system quickly.
Immune System Booster FAQs
Many factors contribute to a healthy immune system: eating a diet rich in whole food, plant-based ingredients, quality sleep, exercise and keeping stress under control. If this sounds like a lot to tackle all at once, I totally get it! Focus on adding more plants to your meals right now, and see if that can help you feel energized and maybe even a little less stressed.
Whole food plants packed with vitamin C. Seriously, skip the supplements and focus on adding fruits and vegetables like citrus fruits, strawberries, dark leafy greens, tomatoes, cauliflower and more.
While you can’t actually ‘change’ your immune system, you CAN do a lot to support it… or not. Focusing on a plant-rich diet, quality sleep and daily exercise (even light!) can help your immune system perform at its best.
More Supportive Smoothies
Try these incredible recipes, all uniquely created to help support your body in various ways:
- Smoothie for Acid Reflux: Sip this soothing smoothie to help combat acid reflux.
- Elderberry Smoothie: Another great immune-support smoothie using elderberry syrup, one of my favorite natural remedies.
- Vitamin C Smoothie Cubes: Pop a few of these vibrant cubes into your next smoothie, or turn them into their own smoothie for a bright vitamin C boost.
- Antioxidant Smoothie Cubes: Harness the power of multiple fruits and veggies with these gorgeous smoothie cubes, full of antioxidants.
- Alkaline Smoothie: Improve hydration on a cellular level with this refreshing beverage.
- Adrenal Fatigue Smoothie: If you feel constant fatigue then this is the smoothie for you!
Don’t forget to leave a rating and review after you’ve given this fantastic smoothie a sip! I love hearing what you think of these creations.
Healthy Immune System Booster
- ¾ cups spinach
- ½ stalk celery
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves only
- 1 cup water
- ½ cucumber peeled
- ¼ inch ginger root peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups mango frozen
- ½ lemon peeled and seeded
- 1 serving homemade protein powder optional
- Blend spinach, celery, parsley and water until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Use frozen mango to make a refreshingly cool smoothie.
- Boost this smoothie with one serving of plant-based protein powder to help your body more easily process the natural fruit sugars.
- The stems of parsley are bitter and harder to blend smoothly. Use just leaves to make blending easier.
- Swap spinach with the leafy green of your choice.