This Kale Banana Smoothie features the leafy green superstar blended with an array of fruit. It will have you saying "Oh Kale Yeah!"
This is one of my most popular green smoothie recipes. The combination of fruits and kale make it a healthy way to add some plant-based power to your day. I know kale may be a scary ingredient, but this recipe is such a great way to introduce a new leafy green into your routine. Rotating greens in that daily smoothie is a must, so use this smoothie as the gateway to a new favorite vegetable.
How to Use Kale in a Smoothie
Kale is an excellent smoothie ingredient, but don't toss the whole stalk in your blender. Kale has a strong, bitter taste, but it doesn't have to stay this way. Massage the leaves between your fingers while washing to tenderize it. This actually works! Also, remove the leaves from the stalk, and don't add the stalk to your blender. It has the most bite.
I want you to enjoy this kale banana smoothie to the fullest, so follow the simple tips above to sip the smoothie of your dreams.
Kale Banana Smoothie Ingredient Swaps
If you aren't ready for a fully kaled-out smoothie, then use ½ cup kale + ½ cup spinach. You can also use baby kale, which is a bit milder.
To lower natural sugar yet keep the creaminess in this smoothie, replace the banana with ½ an avocado, or ½ cup of frozen cauliflower.
Replace the strawberries with raspberries or cherries.
How to Lower Natural Sugar in Smoothies
Even though smoothies are made with 100% whole food, plant-based ingredients, the fruit can still be high in natural sugar. If you are sensitive to natural sugar, there are a variety of ways to help your body process those tasty sweet fruits:
- Always add leafy greens to your smoothie- Leafy greens provide protein, fiber and a number of nutrients that help your body easily process natural fruit sugar.
- Boost your smoothie with protein- Adding a plant-based protein powder that contains both healthy fat, fiber and protein to help your body break down the sugar from fruits as well.
- Swap fruits naturally high in sugar with low sugar fruits- In this kale banana smoothie, swap ½ the banana for ¼ an avocado (or 1 whole banana with ½ an avocado). Your smoothie may be less sweet, but also lower in sugar. Stick to berry smoothies to really lower the natural sugar content.
Kale Banana Smoothie FAQs
Yes! Wash the kale well, and massage the leaves while you wash it (this tenderizes them). De-stem before adding to your blender to cut down on the bitterness.
Massaging kale is an easy way to cut down on bitterness. While washing the leaves, massage them through your fingers until tender. Also, make sure to de-stem the kale as the stem is pretty bitter.
Using 100% whole food, plant-based ingredients ensure the healthiest smoothie. Use a variety of fruits, vegetables and leafy greens, and don't forget to rotate your greens at least weekly.
Recipes Using Kale
Now that you bought a bunch of kale for this smoothie, what are you going to do with the leftovers? I've got some great recipes using this superfood ingredient.
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Orange Kale Smoothie
- Loaded Sweet Potato
- Mango Kale Smoothie
- Mason Jar Salad
- Cherry Smoothie
- Coconut Water Smoothie
- Coconut Sriracha Veggie Bowl
- Pineapple Green Smoothie
- Alkaline Smoothie Cubes
- Hemp Hearts Veggie Bowl
- Zoodles in a Jar
You might want to buy some more kale for all these gorgeous recipes! Don't forget to try the kale banana smoothie below, then leave a review letting me know how you liked it!
Kale Banana SmoothieRate this Recipe Print Recipe
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup water
- ½ banana
- 1 cup pineapple (frozen)
- 1 cup strawberries (frozen)
- 1 serving Protein Smoothie Boost (optional)
- Place kale and water in blender. Puree until smooth.
- Add remaining fruit and blend again.
- De-stem the kale before adding to your smoothie to cut down on the bitterness.
- Use at least one frozen fruit to make the smoothie cold or serve over ice.
- If you don't like kale, swap for baby kale which is more mild. Or you can even replace with spinach.
- To lower the natural sugar, swap ½ banana with ¼ an avocado. Or swap the whole banana with ½ an avocado.