12.7.2020

Cranberry Smoothie with Immunity Boost

I’ve got the perfect cranberry smoothie for you! Made with winter fresh ingredients, this cranberry orange combo will delight the tastebuds.

Cranberry Smoothie with Orange and Banana

This is a very wintery cranberry smoothie – and one of my favs. I love cranberries and oranges, so enjoying them together is a major bonus. This festive smoothie tastes delicious as well as contains ingredients to boost your urinary tract health and gut health too. It’s also healthier than most cranberry smoothies because we’ve added iron-rich spinach (which you can’t even taste!)

Healthy Holiday Cranberry Smoothie

Where are cranberries grown?

Cranberries thrive in cooler temps. They’re commonly grown in the Northeast United States, the Pacific Northwest, and in the Canadian provinces of Quebec and British Columbia. They grow on low-lying bushes in bogs that are flooded during the yearly harvest. While you’ll only see fresh cranberries in the late fall and early winter, they are available year-round frozen. Cranberry bushes actually need the cool, dormant period of winter to produce a crop the following year.

Fresh oranges, banana and spinach in this holiday smoothie recipe

Cranberry health benefits

If you’re prone to urinary tract infections, then keep this cranberry smoothie in regular rotation as natural preventative care. Yet urinary tract health isn’t the only thing cranberries can do!

Cranberries also:

• contain powerful antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals – especially fiber, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, vitamin C, folate, and several B vitamins.
  • contain over two dozen phytonutrients, mostly in their skin, so blend into a cranberry smoothie instead of a juice!
  • improve digestion
  • reduce bad cholesterol
  • prevent gum disease
  • boost the immune system
  • are low in sugar and overall calories
  • have anti-inflammatory properties
Cranberry Orange Banana on a cutting board

Cranberry Orange Smoothie recipe

I’m all about seasonal eating, and this smoothie ticks some great boxes! Winter brings cooler temps, and also cold + flu season. Cranberries and oranges are great natural flu fighters, and also have the most nutrients when picked fresh. This recipe also uses spinach as the leafy green, yet you can swap in any green of your choice. Bananas provide a bit of sweetness to balance out the tang of the cranberries. Yet they can be halved if you want to lower the sugar content.

Benefits of Fresh vs. Frozen Cranberries

Fresh or frozen cranberries both work fine in this recipe. If you use frozen cranberries, then they will help chill your smoothie. And freezing doesn’t greatly affect the nutrient content of the fruit, though fresh will give you the most nutrients.

When you buy a bag for Thanksgiving dinner, add a few more to the cart and freeze them to use all year long.

Blended cranberries and oranges in a smoothie recipe

How to boost your cranberry smoothie with protein

Most of our plant-powered smoothie recipes don’t include any extras in them. That allows our community of smoothie drinkers to customize their smoothie to fit their lifestyle. If you’d like to turn this smoothie into a powerhouse breakfast, add 1 serving of plant based protein, like Protein Smoothie Boost, to give it an extra 10 grams of protein + healthy fat.

Cranberry Smoothie with Orange and Banana

Holiday Cranberry Smoothie

This is a very wintery cranberry smoothie—and one of my favorites. I love cranberries and oranges! Feel free to add 1 tsp MCT oil to get an energy boost and increase your metabolism.
4.37 from 91 votes

• 1 cup fresh spinach
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup cranberries
  • 1 orange, peeled
  • 1/2 banana, frozen
  • 1 scoop Protein Smoothie Boost, optional

• Place spinach and water in blender. Puree until smooth.
  • Add fruit and blend again.
  • Serve over ice if you want it colder.

• Use at least one frozen fruit to make the smoothie cold or serve over ice.

Nutrition

Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 37mg | Potassium: 658mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 3176IU | Vitamin C: 90mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 1mg
Did you make this?Tag @simplegreensmoothie and hashtag it #simplegreensmoothies so we can reshare on our plant-based Instagram account.
SHARE ON FACEBOOK PIN FOR LATER

More natural remedies this holiday season

Every winter I pull out all the natural remedies I have, to protect my whole family all season long. These remedies actually WORK, or I wouldn’t waste my time with them. If you’re looking to find some more natural ways to heal your body, check out this great list:

#1 Green Smoothie Of all Time— no joke!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
7-DAY WEIGHT LOSS MEAL PLAN
About Jen Hansard

Mom of 2, ran across the Grand Canyon and lover of smoothies, coffee & tacos. I transformed my family's health with a realistic plant-based diet. I also found myself again along the way.

Rate the Recipe

Ratings & Comments

SHOW COMMENTS
  1. Clare Jones says:

I absolutely love it. It’s great that they all have a unique taste instead of the same old all the time

2. Eve says:

Give me all the cranberries!!! I love this recipe! I always stock up on fresh cranberries in the winter and pop them in the freezer to use for smoothies. I’m happy to reach for the cranberries and oranges for my green smoothies now I nstead of making cranberry bread.

3. Bonnie says:

This was my least favorite of the week. It was so tart! Fortunately, there were a ton of recommendations from so many members on how to naturally sweeten it up that I’ll give it another shot

4. Kathy says:

I love the orange cranberry one but I did substitute 1/2 avocado for the banana & added some protein powder to give me more energy to last longer they the day. I loved the tartness of cranberries & will use them again! #simplegreensmoothies #eatinghealthly #feelinggood

5. Rhonda says:

This is one of my favorites. I tend to like less sweetness so it was perfect. I may try it with cuties next time to see the difference. My oranges were a bit bland. It is definitely in my free play plan.

6. Carden says:

I can’t leave a full 5 stars because I had to modify the recipe (couldn’t find any fresh or frozen cranberries). I ended up substituting frozen cherries and it was delicious! I love cranberries, so I’m sure it would have been scrumptious had I been able to find them. I’ll be sure to blend this one again once cranberries are back in season!

7. Anita says:

Three star. I added more cranberries and used half an avocado instead of banana some ground flaxseed and bit of crushed ginger. It was tart with some tang.

8. Latasha says:

I wasn’t able to add cranberries to my smoothie, but I and I’m pretty sure I would have enjoy this one so i has to use berries instead

9. Pamela LaBouve says:

I really like the smoothie, I did add raw honey to it because the other comments said it was so tart, next time I will try it without the honey because I thought it was sweet.

10. Pam says:

I could only find packet cranberries (will look for frozen so thanks for the tip) so they didn’t mix properly. My last few gulps of the smoothie were very chewy which is ok as I quite like a tart taste 🙂

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Pam,

If you can’t find any cranberries, you can always swap them with blueberries or cherries.

Chewy doesn’t sound that appetizing to me =P

11. Katrina says:

Yum! I replaced the cranberry with cherries, and oh what a yummy summer-y smoothie (it’s summer here in Australia). Just perfect for gulping down after my morning run (in 28°C heat with 80% humidity!! )

12. Rebecca says:

The cranberry was a bit tart for me. Next time I might try adding more banana to sweeten it more.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Rebecca,

You can always add some extra sweeteners to your smoothie if it is too tart tasting.

These are some all natural sweeteners that we love:

13. Rhonda Thiele says:

I love these simple ingredient smoothies…so easy to make and generally ingredients that I always have on hand. No excuse to not have a green smoothie everyday! 🙂

14. Lynn Schutte says:

I LOVED this! It’s been a while since I had a green smoothie, and I’ll be honest – when I took this off the blender it smelled like spinach and sadness. I was a little scared, I’ll admit, but it blew me away! Such bright, citrus-y, delicious flavors! This is definitely going into my rotation.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Lynn,

Yay!! I am so happy to hear that this recipe was a winner for you!

That is why we love letting you try so many different recipes so you can find the ones you love and add it to your list of favorites 🙂

15. Ronna Acevedo says:

Just adding the cranberry was so simple and gave my smoothie some extra zing!

16. Marla says:

I didn’t like how it had pieces from the cranberry skin. Maybe need to soften them more

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Marla,

Depending on what type of blender you have, you might want to blend the cranberries and liquid first and see if that helps.

17. Amelia says:

I liked the sweet tart taste of the holiday cranberry smoothie and that it was good for me. Yum 4 stars

18. Kim Aumonier says:

I’m not normally a cranberry fan, but this wasn’t bad. A little tart, but the banana tones it down a bit.

19. Giselle Ferguson says:

I was hesitant on trying a smoothie with cranberries, but I’m glad I did. If your already a fan of real cranberry juice you’ll love this green smoothie.

20. Suzette Boling says:

This isn’t one of my favorites. But if you love tart tasting things this will be the one for you!!!

21. Sandie says:

I love this one, so I made it again.

22. Teresa Chambers says:

Really enjoyed the flavor! To avoid the bulky pulp I peeled off the skin if each section of the orange.

23. Julie says:

Pucker up your lips! Tart but tasty!

24. Carolyn M Regan says:

This Cranberry Smoothie was better than expected however not one I would rush back to. It was very tangy and might have been offset by adding a little more banana for creaminess and replacing the water with almond milk. It needed something to temper it.

25. Sandra says:

I found this smoothie too watery and acidic tasting. I like to use more fruits and protein powder. I think the recipe should say a specific amount of banana since they are all different sizes. I added a whole medium sized banana, 1 tbsp. honey and 1/4 cup frozen blueberries. I will try it again using protein powder.

26. Marie-Claude Turbide says:

27. Marie-Claude Turbide says:

I replaced the cranneberries with frozen raspberries and it was a succes in the house. Definitely a repeat this week!

28. tiffany says:

Very good. Just the right amount of tang!

29. Sarah Goudreault says:

This was delicious! Tried this one today for the first tine and it will definitely be a repeat for the weekend! Loving this challenge so far!!

30. Kaytlyn says:

I’m not sure if I did something wrong the cranberries were really gritty in our smoothies. Did anyone else have this issue?

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Kaytlyn,

I would try blending your cranberries first with your liquid before adding in the rest of the ingredient. That way they should blend much better in your smoothie and not leave any bits.

31. Cecilia Anderson says:

This looked awful but was so good!

32. Jeanine says:

I have never bought cranberries before much less thrown them in a smoothie! I will definitely be making this one again. it’s just what I need on my first day back to work after the holiday break!!

33. Joyce Moy says:

We haven’t tried cranberries in our smoothies before and this was great! We will definitely make this one again.

34. Erin says:

This is a good winter smoothie. I boosted ours with a little, cardamom, cinnamon, and vanilla.

35. K D says:

So excited to use some cranberries in the fridge leftover from the holidays. Good balance, we both liked the tartness of the cranberries.

36. Kelly says:

I wasn’t expecting to like the cranberry so much. Delicious!

37. Meagan says:

I quite liked this recipe. My little guy guzzled his so fast!

38. Sarah Biel says:

I usually am not a big cranberry fan unless it’s in a poinsettia mimosa around the holidays, but I may be changing my mind because I really liked this smoothie! Added my probiotic and a tablespoon of hemp seeds for some added protein.

39. Janaé says:

Wasn’t my fave, but still good! The one thing I love about this challenge is the push to try new things. Thank you SGS! ☺️

40. zanielle foxcroft says:

I have never used cranberries in a smoothie before but this sounds delicious and so good for you! Will definitely give it a go x

41. Brandy says:

I never make smoothies with water, I always use almond milk, but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed this smoothie!! I couldn’t find fresh or frozen cranberries so I had to substitute with frozen cherries. I definitely will be making this smoothie again!!

42. Carol says:

This was a good combination. I wasn’t sure I would like the cranberries, but they were surprisingly good.

43. Cynthia says:

Another great smoothie and the cranberries added some tartness. We enjoyed it.

44. Patricia says:

Love cranberries! Glad I could find some in the freezer section so I could make this tasty smoothie.

45. Linda says:

Disappointed I couldn’t find any cranberries…substituted frozen mixed berries…added some dates for sweetness

46. Maxine Grant says:

Day 2 the smoothie was great, wasn’t sure if I would like the cranberry but I did.

47. Molly says:

LOVED this smoothie. Would have never thought to add cranberries but it was so good.

48. Anita says:

The banana was a bit strong on flavor the cranberries added a nice tang,yum.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Anita,

If the banana isn’t sitting well with you feel free to swap it with an avocado!

The taste is mild and will still leave keep your smoothie super creamy =P

49. Lolita Wallace says:

Loved this smoothie! The cranberries added a refreshing tartness

50. Anita says:

I liked this smoothie a lot. I did add a scoop of protein powder. I thought the cranberries would be over powering and tart but not so much.

51. Valerie W says:

Very tart, but I like tart so enjoyed the smoothie.

52. Tanya says:

This smoothie was good. After reading comments about it being tart, I added a scoop of protein powder and a whole banana instead of half. I enjoyed it and it was filling.

53. Cathy says:

Love the tartness of this smoothie!

54. Jennifer says:

Loved this one!! I’ve never had a smoothie with cranberries, so I wasn’t sure if I’d like it. It was great!!

55. Robyn C says:

So good! Love the cranberry and orange together. Very tasty and I like the tartness! I added some avocado oil and chia seeds to mine to make it a meal replacement

56. Tina says:

The cranberries make it quite tart. Good if you like tartness.

57. Myra Rodriguez says:

This one was really good!

58. Em says:

First time buying frozen cranberries! Pretty tasty!

59. Marlee says:

Favorite smoothie so far!

60. Pam says:

Did not love it, found it didn’t blend up as nicely and the orange was a bit stringy/chunky. Was not a flavour I enjoyed. I drank, but did not enjoy. Tomorrow’s smoothie will be better!

61. Donald Hornstein says:

As someone else said, a bit tart for my liking. I also like substituting lots of pulp OJ for the orange. Much less work and delicious! I always add some protein powder to my smoothies to skip the eggs at breakfast. Oh, and soy milk for additional protein. My niece turned me on to these. Love ’em.

62. Neal says:

Had to change this up for ingredients I had at home. I used 1/2 cup of pineapple in place or orange and 1/2 cup blueberries in place of cranberries. It worked well and still had that nice tartness. I enjoyed this one too. Day Two done !

63. Nicole says:

Refreshing! It was tart, but I like that. Four stars because I would have liked it to be a little thicker.

64. Tanya says:

Great way to use up leftover cranberries from the holidays. Thanks for this challenge, it feels great to get back into healthy food habits after the holidays too!

65. Brittany Gibson says:

This smoothie was just OK for me. Not much flavor and just a simple green smoothie. First time using cranberries and wasn’t impressed with their taste.

66. Kim says:

I don’t think I’ve ever had a fresh cranberry, so I wasn’t sure what to expect from this smoothie. It’s a little tart, but the orange and banana do help. I’ll make it again to use up the rest of my cranberries, but it’s not a favorite.

67. Chad T. says:

A nice way to start the day. A bit of fresh ginger root would have been amazing in the mix.

68. Antoinette Nicolosi says:

Delicious!

69. Shannon says:

Delicious! My 9-year-old loves it too! I did substitute the orange for frozen strawberries because my blender can’t blend oranges. I look forward to trying it with mango.

70. Emily says:

I found this smoothie to be a little tart for my taste, but not bad.

71. Allison Miller says:

I LOVED the tartness of this smoothie! It made me feel soooo much more awake! Lol!

72. Pamela LaBouve says:

Love the smoothie today, however mine was blueberry as I was not able to find cranberries. Delicious!

73. Michelle says:

Love the taste. I will make this one again.

74. Katie says:

I wasn’t sure about this one with the tart cranberries but it’s wonderful! The bit of tartness with the sweet orange and creamy banana goes perfectly together. Yum!

75. Christina says:

Day 2, good smoothie but a little tart. I think maybe using cranberry with other berries might be a better mix.

76. Marilyn says:

Second smoothie, the cranberry citrus blast! Have to admit it was not bad.

77. Rosalie says:

Super tasty! I never thought to use leftover cranberries in smoothies! Now I know 🙂

78. Chantelle Cunningham says:

A delicious blend of tart cranberries that is balanced so nicely by the orange and banana. My whole family loves it!

79. Jen L. says:

Used unsweetened dried cranberries and got a great cranberry flavor!

80. Kari says:

I couldn’t find cranberries but pomegranate made a great substitute! Delicious!

81. Miruna says:

Yum! Second smoothie of the year and it is delicious!

82. Vanessa Coutu says:

This is SO perfect because this smoothie is almost identical to your Pomegranate Citrus Punch, which I LOVE, but gives another option for when pomegranate’s are not in season/not on sale. Thanks for the cranberry idea!!

83. JoAn says:

The more berries, the better. I also like the cherries to make it more tart.

84. Liz says:

A pretty good smoothie!

85. Brandy Bowers says:

Love cranberries! May need to switch up a bit to dial down some of the tartness

86. Pam says:

I’ve never eaten cranberries, in fact have never seen fresh or frozen ones in rural Wagga Wagga, Australia, so I substituted dried ones that I re hydrated overnight. I found the smoothie way too sweet for my taste, checked the fine print on the packet and saw that sugar had been added. So unfortunately I didn’t experience this smoothie at its full potential

• Liz says:

If you’re lucky Coles might have the frozen ones. I used to live in Griffith, so I know it’s not super likely. Cranberries are tart and quiet horrible haha, the Crasins are much nicer than what cranberries actually taste like.

• Liz says:

I had a look online at Coles and you don’t have the plain cranberries, but there is the ‘four fruits mix’ which has them in that. You could either use the berry mix or fish out the cranberries 🙂

87. Sandie says:

Tart and delicious. I like to use tart cherry juice for an anti-inflammatory making this doubly tart and delicious.

88. Kim says:

Nice taste (I was worried). Would definitely make again.

89. Michelle says:

My local grocery store is out of cranberries – so bummed!! What would be the best substitution?

• Sandie says:

Sometimes they stash the leftovers in the freezer section at smaller grocers. You might want to check.

90. Bethany says:

Yum! I love cranberry. Now I wish I would’ve stocked up!

91. Nancy A. says:

Love cranberries, they help my tummy a lot, so will make this real soon. Love all the healthy recipes!!!

92. Donna says:

Love this one! Never would have thought of putting cranberries in a smoothie. DELICIOUS!!

93. Laura McLendon says:

I have never had a cranberry, spinach is good choice, and I love the rest of ingredients in this one.. another good choice for week one

94. Sue says:

Delicious . . . never thought about using fresh cranberries in a smoothie. The blend of orange & cranberries is perfect.

95. Jen Hansard says:

This is such a great way to use up those frozen cranberries from the holidays! Plus you get the high antioxidants to boost your smoothie— I love this one so so so much!!!!

96. Jessica says:

yum, yum, yummity, yum. I added a little less water to make it thicker.

97. Bonnie says:

Hmmmm…the calorie count for this smoothie seems to be double of what it should be…or am I missing something?

• Jen Hansard says:

Great catch Bonnie. Looks like the recipe plugin was pulling the nutrition as if we were using canned cranberry jelly. I reworked it and have the updated health benefits for you. Thanks for sharing!

98. karen says:

I love this smoothie recipe. it’s a party smoothie, so refreshing. perfect start to my morning!

99. Mireille says:

One of my favourites to enjoy during the Winter season. We’ve had this one a few times this month!

100. Kristi Peck says:

oh I have a bunch of cranberries- gonna try this one too

1 2

These are the go-to books, smoothie swag and guides for making tasty green smoothies and plant-powered meals.

Embrace a Plant-Based Diet

Take the Smoothie Quiz!

Let us help you decide what to blend today with our 1-minute magical smoothie quiz.

PRIVACY