JOIN US

RESET YOUR CRAVINGS WITH OUR LIVE AUTUMN 21-DAY COMMUNITY CLEANSE—STARTS OCT 5

AUTUMN 21-DAY CLEANSE IS OCT 5

Elderberry Immune Boosting Smoothie

This immune boosting smoothie recipe employs the natural power of black elderberries, which have nearly double the anthocyanins as other berries. This special type of flavanoid promotes immune support, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-cancer benefits. Blended with antioxidant rich fruits to support a healthy immune system, this recipe is a winner.

For a few years, my family had no health insurance and I took a proactive approach to health care. We boosted our immune system to help us not get sick in the first place. From green smoothies to plant based meals to natural remedies— we did anything we could to not get sick….and it worked.

Kids have started going back to school (mine included), restaurants are opening and new COVID cases are still making the headlines, it’s vital to build up your body’s natural defense: the immune system.

One of the key immune supporting ingredients I added to our smoothies was elderberry syrup. I’ve partnered with Sambucol Black Elderberry Syrup to create a tasty immune boosting smoothie recipe.

Where to buy elderberry syrup

You can find Sambucol Elderberry Syrup at Target, Costco, Amazon, major drug stores and also on the Sambucol website. It’s been flying off the shelves since COVID-19 became a pandemic, which is exciting to see more and more people lean towards the natural remedies world.

Enjoy 15% OFF your Sambucol.com purchase with code SGS15.

Ingredients in an elderberry smoothie

Benefits of black elderberry syrup

Black elderberries are a natural remedy to boost the immune system. I first learned about it from a friend, who’s mom and grandmother used it. It’s a natural remedy passed on generation to generation because it has been shown to work.

This plant-powered elderberry syrup is rich in a particular antioxidant: flavonoids. Flavonoids help prevent damage from free radicals at the cellular level. A particular flavonoid, anthocyanins, is found heavily in black elderberries.

In fact, the United State Department of Agriculture found that black elderberries contain nearly twice the amount of anthocyanins compared with other berries. Some studies suggest that consuming elderberries can help support and maintain a healthy immune system. Elderberries are also a good source of vitamins A, B, and C, which are also important for immune function.

Immune Boosting Smoothie with Sambucol Elderberry Syrup

Elderberry Syrup in an Immune Boosting Smoothie

I’m sure you’ve noticed my favorite ingredient in this immune boosting smoothie is elderberry syrup. Along with the delicious berry flavor, elderberry syrup is packed with natural health benefits.

It’s important to note that black elderberry syrup is a dietary supplement. It isn’t intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Yet elderberry syrup is a natural remedy that my family has experienced the benefits of and I’m excited to share it with you today.

You can make your own DIY Elderberry Syrup Recipe, yet it takes more time and money. It’s just so convenient to keep Sambucol Elderberry Syrup on hand. Whatever way you go, you can use either syrup interchangeably in this immune boosting smoothie recipe.

Adding elderberry syrup to a smoothie recipe

How to make an Immune Boosting Smoothie

I came up with this unique recipe of fruits and other plants chosen specifically for their immune-supporting properties. I also wanted it to be something that my kids would happily drink. This smoothie does all that with a few fun ingredients.

If you’ve never had a smoothie with dragon fruit, it’s very similar to kiwi both in texture and flavor. A lot of grocery stores now carry frozen puree or cubed dragon fruit. You can use fresh or frozen in this immune boosting smoothie recipe.

Also, I included coconut water because I love that added nutrients. You can easily swap with water or almond milk in this smoothie, if preferred.

Depending on how many you’re making this smoothie for, increase the amount of elderberry syrup accordingly to make sure everyone gets some of it. Plus, the flavor of the elderberries really compliments this smoothie.

For more immune boosting recipes using Elderberry Syrup, check out my Elderberry Smoothie Popsicles and Immune Boosting Smoothie Cubes.

Immune boosting smoothie in a kitchenaid blender
clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon

Immune Boosting Smoothie

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 1 serving 1x
  • Category: Smoothie
  • Method: Blending
  • Cuisine: American
  • Diet: Vegan

Give your immune system a boost by blending up this vibrant purple powerhouse smoothie that combines Sambucol black elderberry syrup with antioxidant-rich blackberries and pitaya (dragon fruit). Bottoms up!

1. Place all ingredients into a blender.
  2. Puree until smooth.
  3. Serve immediately.

• Other berries can be substituted for the blackberries. We recommend those high in antioxidants such as blueberries, raspberries, or cranberries.

Keywords: immune smoothie, blackberry smoothie, elderberry recipe,

Tags: ,    /   Categories: Recipes, Smoothies

By: Jen Hansard | Updated: 9.2.2020 | COMMENTS: 564

COMMENTS

1. Grace says:

I’ll like a boost of my immune system because I’m particularly prone to colds/flu and in this current climate of covid19 one needs to be in the best shape (or at least close).

2. Kimbley Griffin says:

The season fast-approaches for building up our immune systems! Besides eating a plant-based diet, I want to ensure that I’m incorporating as many of my ancestors’ natural remedies as possible; elderberry syrup is one of those. Thank you for sharing this new smoothie! ; )

3. Heather Brock says:

Like many Mama’s, I need my immune system strong to take care of my ever growing son. Love all you do at Simple Green Smoothies!

4. Mary Terrell says:

I’ve been wanting to try Black Elderberry syrup for my family for quite some time now after hearing about its benefits from friends and family. I can always trust Jen to bring delicious, clean recipes for my family to enjoy!

5. Dianne Kolakowski says:

Love smoothies and do what I can to stay healthy. I just turned 75 and don’t look it or feel it. I look forward to trying elderberry syrup.

6. Julia says:

Any suggestions for those of us who dislike bananas? I’m intrigued by new ingredients.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

How kind of you, Julia! I suggest leaving the banana out or you can sub 1/2 an avocado if you want some creaminess.

7. Michelle Stanbury says:

My cousin was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently in treatment. I’ve been helping her with some natural immune boosters, like essential oils and, of course, your immunity smoothies. I believe she would really enjoy this one as she loves berries and tropical flavors like the dragon fruit. This recipe will be perfect for her!

8. Laura Allison says:

I love elderberry syrup! I have seen first hand how it helps ward off unwanted sickness!

9. Sarah Park says:

My parents have recently started making green smoothies after a family friend told them about the benefits they’ve seen since drinking green smoothies. As seniors, it has never been more important for them to boost their immune system. They need to prepare their bodies for the upcoming winter season where COVID and the flu will be a double threat…

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

That’s very true, Sarah, and it’s great that you + your parents are taking steps to stay healthy and support your immune systems. 🙂

10. Theresa Zimmerman says:

Looks so good! Cold season coming up.

11. Merri says:

I’ll definitely try the Sambucol Black Elderberry syrup in this recipe — it looks delicious! Boosting my immune system is important to me.

12. Dorothy Michels says:

Elderberry is one of my go to ingredients to keep my immune system up.

13. Cathy Rolfsen says:

With the regular flu season upon us in addition to Covid-19, I want all the help I can get to stay healthy. I’ve heard of the benefits of elderberry syrup and would love to try it!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

So true, Cathy. We’re looking at a double whammy this fall / winter, and it’s important to get ahead of it!

14. Kavli Kukreja says:

Dragonfruit smoothies are the prettiest EVER! This one was delicious (sans the banana, can’t do that in a smoothie)!

15. Kelly Parr says:

This is my 34th day quarantined being Covid positive! I have never tried elderberry syrup and could sure use an extra boost!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Kelly, so sorry to hear you have Covid-19! Elderberry syrup for sure would help your immune system fight the virus. Hang in there! We’re wishing you a speedy recovery!

16. Shamieka says:

Elderberry is yummy and good for you. I love to give to my family during the fall. It’s especially crucial during the time we are currently in.

17. Megan Logsdon says:

Can’t wait to try this syrup! We’re needing all the immunity help we can get right now. With Covid but also not being able to be around the public isn’t helping our immune systems with anything.

18. Olga says:

Would like to try this remedy for my son, who recently had a surgery and now goes to church to study with other kids. Hopefully it’ll help him to have stronger immune system to fight viruses and bacteria.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

The great thing about this smoothie is that it’s packed full of nutrients and immune-boosting goodness *and* it’s kid approved!

19. Joan says:

Lots of reasons to wanna boost my immune system. This elderberry smoothie recipe is a great way to start my day.

20. Lori says:

This is so cool, I have never tried Elderberry syrup. I like the fact of all the benefits you get from it.

21. sharon meagher says:

Between the stress of 2020 and a hectic schedule, I would like to get ahead of flu season.

22. Angela Cress says:

I am constantly feeling run down because not only do I work full time away from the house – I am also a primary caregiver to my homebound mother – I can’t get sick – so I’m always looking for proven ways to boost my immune system. Your green smoothie recipes keep me going and I would love to try adding this syrup to my arsenal! Thanks!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

So glad our green smoothie recipes help keep you going, Angela. Stay strong, sending you lots of health and wellness vibes!

23. Vanessa says:

I have been interesting in items that can provide added protection from all the viruses out there as well as to help with my sinusitis. I need the boost from that perspective but also because I work closely with someone who’s spouse is battling cancer and from someone who’s been down that road before, you do all you can to prevent from getting sick or being around someone sick. I’ll make sure to add this juice to my daily routine. Thank you!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Kudos to you, Vanessa, for understanding how your health can affect those around you!

24. Bridgett says:

I am a pediatric nurse working in a residential facility. These children are medically fragile. It is important for me to stay as healthy as possible in order to keep the children well also. I have been reading up on the benefits of Elderberry and would like to try it in my smoothies.

25. lerma cazares says:

Ever since I got Covid-19 in March and was able to recover. I have been taking elderberry gummies and giving them to my family to boost our immune system. I would to try the syrup for my family.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

So sorry you had Covid-19, Lerma, but I’m glad you were able to recover. The gummies and syrup are both great ways to help keep yourself and your family healthy. 🙂

26. Laura Podrasky says:

What a yummy recipe! We can all use an immune system boost. But the healthy we keep ourselves the better for us and everyone around us. Thank you so much for doing the hard work of finding the good stuff we need to keep us healthy without medication!

27. Ethel says:

I could not find the Dragon fruit but found the Dragon Fruit Powder, will I get the same results?

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Ethel, I think dragon fruit powder would be similar enough to actual dragon fruit. I would just make sure there are no added sugars, preservatives, etc.

28. Jennifer Donald says:

We are definitely all about immune boosting at our house! We are considered an “at risk” family, and we are doing everything we can to stay healthy and strong! Green smoothies every morning, gut health support, and we love our elderberry syrup!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

That’s great, Jennifer! Sounds like you’re kicking butt in the immune boosting department!

29. Deborah Flowers says:

I am an essential worker in Hospice care, so it is important that I be in good health as I care for our patients. I am just now learning the multiple benefits of Elderberries and would like to add it to my healthcare plan. Thanks!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Elderberries are truly awesome! Thank you for being an essential worker and stay healthy, Deborah! 🙂

30. Beth says:

We use Sambucol Effervescent with Zinc and C (which is hard to get right now), would love to have syrup and make the smoothies tho. Love the stuff!

31. Michelle Lee says:

Wow! This looks amazing! I have an autoimmune and had surgery last September that was supposed to help with not getting strep as much. (Tonsillectomy) within 2 days I had pneumonia, developed pneumonia 6 times in the past year. My immune system has been completely decimated. For awhile I wasn’t able to eat but I have been starting to add smoothies back in I am a single mama to a 5 year old so I’m determined to be around a long long time! I’m actually making a instacart (I don’t have the energy to grocery shop and I also have to limit leaving them house being so high risk now) for my smoothie making, my Jack loves them too! Thanks for all you guys do, I have the Fresh Start in front of me. The doctor said I am being poisoned by all the toxins and dead viral cells in my body. Awful. So, I’m doing everything in my power to get healthy once and for all. I spent years having people tell me I didn’t matter and it set in, guys hurting me, I just stopped taking care of myself. It’s been my whole life really. But, all of that led me to my beautiful little dude and he’s worth it, the fight and so am I.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

It’s def important to take care of yourself for your little guy and smoothies are a great way to give your body the nourishment it needs. So glad we can help you on your journey to getting healthy and taking good care of yourself. Wishing you health and wellness!

32. Jenny says:

I am a medical student and work daily in hospitals and clinics. Elderberry is the perfect boost to add to smoothies to help keep my immune system active and strong as I see sick patients, especially as we enter COVID-19 + Influenza season.

33. Jenn O'Connor says:

With elderberry, it’s super important to be consistent with it. This giant bottle would be great to help with the consistency of having a little bit every single day. It’s important to use things such as elderberry syrup to keep our immune system up at all times instead of consuming it when their systems are already down. This syrup would be great to have during cold and flu season (during a pandemic).

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Very true, Jenn! But I also want to point out that studies have shown a good quality elderberry extract product might be quite effective in shortening the duration and the severity of symptoms associated with the flu if taken within the first 24 hours of symptoms. Either way, it’s a great immune booster to have on hand, especially this time of year!

34. VENESSA HESSER says:

Elderberry syrup is so helpful when my kiddos get a cold, or allergies got them feeling run down.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

It’s such a great thing to have on hand for just those situations, isn’t it?

35. Brenda K. Orlow says:

I ordered some from Amazon last week and can’t wait to make this gorgeous pink immune boosting smoothie!

36. Joanne Brainard says:

My gut needs to be healed and immune system needs to be boosted. I love breakfast smoothies especially with berries, bananas and greens. I can’t wait to try elderberry – it has such good health benefits in the long run. I was fascinated to learn this week about the berry family – mulberries, elderberries and I grew up eating gooseberries. So good and refreshing!!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

This smoothie is a great way to help boost your immune system and if you want to add greens to it, I recommend baby spinach or baby kale. You want something mild tasting so it doesn’t take away from the deliciousness of the berries and dragon fruit!

37. Laura G says:

Our Canadian friends introduced us to elderberry syrup and swear by it – yet I’ve not tried anything with it beyond just taking a spoonful. This smoothie looks like the perfect way to incorporate it into our routine – and who doesn’t love the color! Thanks for being so consistently inspirational!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Your friends up north are on to something! Def try this recipe, if you like elderberry syrup, you will love the smoothie!

38. Meg Reider says:

Looks so good I will have to try this

39. Ethel Cammon says:

It’s tasty and am looking forward to an improved immune system.

40. Christina Q. says:

I have been wanting to try elderberry syrup for over a year now, but I haven’t taken the plunge because of the cost. I know crazy how can we put a price on health, but sometimes you have to just make the choice of what is most important like regular food for the family and gas in the car. This smoothie looks yummy and really pretty.

41. Joshua McLaughlin says:

I’ve been feeling run down. Furloughed from work, now full time school tech support for my kids while they remote learn. In the past I’ve taken elderberry gummies to get me back on track. I imagine this would do me wonders.

42. Adele Skeete says:

This syrup has gotten us through the COVID-19 ordeal. The whole family has been using it since last November and ( knock on wood ) so far so good!

43. Ethel says:

I tried it for the smoothie for the first time today. Really want to boost my immune system to be healthier.

44. Melissa says:

This looks like an amazing recipe; I am always looking for ways to boost my immunity! Can’t wait to try it!

45. Teresa Freeman says:

I am 61…WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!!! Friends have been telling me the benefits of Elderberry syrup for a while now and I am going to try these recipes (I love smoothies) and see how it effects my body. Thanks for making healthy delicious too!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Haha, Teresa, age is just a number, isn’t it?! Elderberry syrup is a great way to help keep your immune system strong and if you already love smoothies, it’s a great boost to add to them!

46. Nancy A. says:

I need elderberry syrup to keep me from being so sick with bronchitis–or at least help it be less miserable. When I get flu or colds, I have them for a month or more. Need to ramp up my immune system!

47. Patricia Washington says:

I’ve never tried Elderberry, but have been told that it is the thing to use to boost the immune system and in this time of corona I need all the help I can get. Thanks. #rawkon!

48. Jen says:

Looks like a great smoothie to try! I love elderberry syrup for myself and my kids enjoy taking it! It is a great option for them and gives me peace of mind knowing they are boosting their immune systems.

49. Natalie says:

This recipe looks DELIGHTFUL! I have a friend that makes homemade elderberry syrup and I would love to see how these compare 🙂

50. Pavithra says:

As a para educator working with special need kids, I am finding all the ways to boost my immunity especially in this pandemic season.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

It’s great you are looking into all the ways to boost your immune system, there are many! And thank you for the work you do as a para educator, Pavithra!

51. Stacey says:

I’m starting your 10 day challenge again and it would be great to include this immune boosting smoothie!

52. Laura E. says:

My immune system is in need of real help! I have allergies so severe it’s almost like a flu. I don’t know what triggered my allergies to be so bad but I know I am very susceptible to any cold or flu someone has. I really would love my immune system to have some help and begin a real change in my body. Thanks!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

So sorry to hear about your allergies, Laura! I think elderberry syrup could def help strengthen your immune system and fight those allergies. I also want to recommend honey; many folks with allergies say eating a little bit of raw, local honey helps ease their allergy symptoms.

53. Phyllis Longwell says:

Since I have a low immune system, I do what I can to naturally boost it. The elderberry syrup would be a great complement to my diet.

• Stacey says:

I have always been on the forefront of utilizing foods as medicine. I suffer from mastocytosis and what I eat plays a huge role in how the disease presents itself. Furthermore, I am a teacher who is going into school 5 days a week with students present. I want to protect myself, my family, my friends and my students by keeping my immunity strong! Elderberry syrup sounds like an awesome and tasty way to do so! Thanks for sharing. ✊

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

We thank all the teachers, Stacey, and we appreciate you!! This is definitely an important time of year to keep our immune systems as strong as possible.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Elderberry syrup is a great addition to your diet to help keep your immune system strong, Phyllis! 🙂

54. Kelli B says:

I’ve never used Elderberry syrup before. Interested in how it can boost our immune system. Would love to try it! Thanks, Jen and team for everything you guys do to keep us healthy!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Hey Kelli, you’re so welcome! Our blog entry on making your own elderberry syrup has some great info on its benefits (https://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes/elderberry-syrup).

55. Larissa den Enting says:

Need this! We’ve been sick in March already with Covid-19 (entire family including our 2 young kids). Unfortunately we are still all dealing with the after-effects, despite it being more than 6 months now since we first got sick). I keep on adding things to our diet that helps boost our immune system and elderberry has been on my to-do list for a few months now.

Honestly, I wanted to make a syrup myself, to keep it as clean as possible. But then I saw this from Sambucol and realised it could be so much easier! I’m all about keeping it easy these days 🙂

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Oh, Larissa, I am so sorry to hear your whole family got Covid-19 and are still dealing with the aftereffects! Keep up the good work in adding immune-boosting foods to your family’s diet (and yes, keeping it easy sounds like a good plan for you!). Sending lots of get well vibes your way!

56. Beth Cotler says:

Thank you for the easy and delicious healthy smoothie recipe! Always looking for simple, clean ways to enhance our immune systems and feel good doing it.

57. Lisa Fluharty says:

My kids have elderberry immune boosting gummies, but I haven’t boosted myself or my husband. With the pandemic, we have been super careful because we have family with health issues that could be badly affected if they caught covid. If it could be as simple as some syrup in an extra yummy smoothie to keep everyone healthier, count me in! 🙂

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

That’s great your kids have gummies to help their immune systems! You and your husband def need to get in on the elderberry/immune boosting love! And yes, it is as simple and as delicious as a smoothie, so no excuses!! 🙂

58. Kelly Bishop says:

In this day and age, with Covid-19 here, I am trying to stay as healthy as possible. This syrup sounds like it would be a healthy boost to my day to remain in good health through this pandemic and help stay healthy for the rest of my life!

59. Valerie W says:

We use elderberry syrup when someone in the house is starting to feel like they are getting sick. Never thought to use it in a smoothie!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

You’re already ahead of the game, Valerie! 🙂 Def give it a try in a smoothie and see what you and your family think!

60. Patty Owens says:

I’ve used black elderberry for myself and my kids whenever there is a need to give their immune systems a boost. With school opening in a week they will go back every other week (the school chose a hybrid model for return), and I just want to arm their bodies the best way I can to stay healthy. I really appreciate SGS and applaud all their efforts to help give me the knowledge and recipes I’ve been looking for to make that happen. You help give me a bit more peace of mind in a world I can’t control. Thank you!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Patty, this was so well said and I believe it echoes the thoughts and feelings of so many parents and guardians out there! I’m sure your kiddos appreciate all you do to help keep them healthy! (even if they forget to say so 😉 )

61. Stacey says:

I want to keep my immune system strong one because of covid-19, two I deal with Endometriosis and I have a very weak immune system.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Stacey, I’m sorry to hear about your endometriosis but you are right. It’s very important (especially this year) to do all you can to help your immune system be as strong as it can.

62. Ramona says:

It would be an immune booster for the family – whenever I make smoothies usually everyone ends wanting to have some.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Way to share the smoothie love with your whole family, Ramona! We love it when smoothies become a family affair. 😀

63. Amber says:

I want to keep my immune system strong because my husband is going through cancer treatment. Keeping myself healthy and strong helps keep him healthy.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

I love your outlook, Amber! Sending you both good vibes as you go through this tough time.

64. Jenny Somwaru says:

While there is no one-size-fits-all remedy for illness, supporters of elderberry say the fruit is one of nature’s most versatile solutions for what ails you. I need this immunity booster to alleviate my stress levels and tame inflammation from eczema and other skin conditions. Also, I am working towards having a healthy diet that includes foods with vitamin B, vitamin B6 and vitamin E.

65. Ms. Roberts says:

Before there was a pandemic I’ve looked for different ways to keep my immune system on point. Especially during these times since I live with my parents, I have to also try to keep them in top top shape. I haven’t tried this recipe, but I have pinned it, as it looks like a winner!

66. Cathy Amato says:

I am 70 years old and have been on a mission to get healthier every day. I began following Jen almost since the beginning and have made her smoothies a part of my life with the intent of putting the right stuff into my body for greater immunity. Now more than ever I need to do the right thing. This looks terrific and I want to try it.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Thanks for being part of our awesome Rawkstar Community for so long, Cathy!! I love that we have been able to help you on your journey to being healthier every day. (That’s a wonderful mission, by the way!) 😀

67. Diane Vosbrink says:

I would love a natural way to boost my immune system. I work in a children’s hospital. With the pandemic, the upcoming flu season, and with some of the kids going back to school and daycares as well as the kids participating in contact sports my risks has significantly increased. I want to stay healthy for myself and to serve the community.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Elderberry syrup is definitely an awesome natural way to boost your immune system. Stay healthy, Diane!

68. Kate Stoll says:

I love elderberry and this smoothie looks fantastic! I have never added syrups to my rawskstar smoothies, but would love to try!

69. Kathryn says:

I just tried elderberry syrup for the first time last week while visiting my parents! I want to keep my immune system up so I can continue to spend time outside running and hiking.

70. Sam says:

I am a cancer patient and had almost all my innards removed. So I have no immune system and am a caregiver. I ordered a bottle of the elderberry and have been using it in the smoothie recipe. I’m hoping and believe it will keep me safe.

71. Kate Lenderking says:

I haven’t tried this recipe yet, just printed it yesterday. Always looking for ways to boost my immune system with healthy foods, especially this year since I’m a nurse and working in a hospital through the pandemic. Adding flu season to the mix could be challenging so excited to add this smoothie to my routine

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Thank you for your work, Kate! This smoothie is a great way to help keep your immune system strong this fall and winter. Stay healthy!

72. Marquita Gill says:

As a middle school teacher, it is especially important for me to boost my immune system. In addition to the nature of our students not being super mindful of germs, Flu season is approaching, and of course, we are still living in a pandemic! As a vegetarian and naturalista, it is important for me to find healthy, natural ways to support my body and have it working as it’s maximum.

73. Ashley says:

I can’t rate the recipe because I haven’t tried it but based on the ingredients it looks delicious!! As a mom of 3 kiddos I need to keep immune systems up especially as we head into cold & flu season (and prayerfully not covid 2.0). Thank you for all your smoothie challenge recipes, the family and I love them!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Def come back to rate it after you give it a try, Ashley! So glad you love our challenges! 🙂

74. Ge-Ge says:

I use Elderberry tea but would love to try the syrup. With all the contaminants we are expose to ever day, our immune system deserve it. The color is so pretty too!

75. CN says:

I’ve always wanted to boost my immune system with natural products especially since I work in a hospital and flu season is around the corner.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

This really is the most important time of year to give our immune systems some extra help!

76. Dee says:

I’m 5 years Cancer-free (Yayyy!) and I’ve already been taking Sambucol to keep up my immunity, but this recipe is an awesome way to change up my morning since I already love dragonfruit also.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Hi Dee! First of all, CONGRATS on being 5 years cancer-free!!! That’s awesome. 😀

If you already like dragonfruit, I think you’re going to really love this smoothie!

77. Sarah says:

I’ve never tried elderberry syrup, but love blackberries and dragon fruit! This will be a fun one to try!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Sarah, it’s pretty and delicious! Def give it a try and come back to leave your thoughts + rate it! 🙂

78. Jennifer says:

I’ve been making smoothies for 8 years and have never once considered putting elderberry syrup in a smoothie! If we are winners of the elderberry syrup this will be the first thing I try! I’d also be happy to share the blog post and tag simple green smoothies!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

It really is a great boost to add to smoothies! And thank you for sharing the love with your own online community! 🙂

79. Helena Goldthorp says:

I will have to give this recipe a try. Looks and sounds delicious. A good way to stay healthy.

80. David Stone says:

I haven’t tried this YET, but who doesn’t want to be Healthy, Wealthy and Wise.

81. Julie Quinn says:

Haven’t tried this recipe so I can’t rate it. So many of my friends use Elderberry Syrup and I would love to try it but just haven’t yet. Not sure why. I really need to since I tend to get whatever illness is going around.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Yes, Julie, you have to try this recipe! You can’t go wrong with something that helps boost your immune system, as well as tasting great and looking so pretty!

82. Lynn Gallagher says:

We all need an immunity booster at this time but especially going into flu season with a compromised immune system.

83. Suzanne Werder says:

I love that research has found elderberry to be as effective as a flu shot against the normal flu. With regards to Covid, I was wondering if Elderberry will strengthen cytokine storms or bradykinin storms that may be responsible for many of its negative effects.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Hey Suzanne! To be clear, taking elderberry syrup (or any other form of elderberries) will not prevent the flu. According to the CDC, getting an annual seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to help protect against flu. Elderberry syrup is not a flu shot substitution, but can be used as a dietary supplement. Studies indicate that “a good quality elderberry extract product might be quite effective in shortening the duration and the severity of symptoms associated with the flu if taken within the first 24 hours of symptoms,” states Russell Greenfield, MD, of Novant Health Integrative Medicine (https://www.novanthealth.org/healthy-headlines/elderberry-syrup-for-flu).

Therefore, elderberry syrup can be a great compliment to other preventative measures, including getting a flu shot, but should not be the only thing you use to prevent the flu.

As far as COVID-19, Sambucol has a great article that addresses your question: https://sambucolusa.com/blogs/news/elderberry-and-covid-19-what-are-the-facts.

Additionally, I want to include the information that although the flu shot does not prevent COVID-19, it could help your body fight off the virus (among other reasons, a healthy body has an easier time fighting off a COVID-19 infection). And unfortunately, it is possible to be infected with both the flu and the coronavirus at the same time so, getting a flu shot will help to greatly reduce the chance of that happening. 🙂

84. Florence says:

I would love to try this elderberry syrup. I have made my own but it is time consuming. I work at a local hospital (in a clerical support role) and I have several underlying conditions and am a caregiver, so it’s important to me especially going into flu season, to strengthen my immune system.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Respect to you, Florence! Keep up your awesome work and yes, sounds like it’s very important for you to strengthen your immune system and keep it strong!

85. Erin H says:

Love adding boosts to our families smoothies. Anything I can do to provide them with a healthy choice. The girls love the color…

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Way to take good care of your family, Erin! And I agree on the color, it’s so pretty! 😀

86. Kelli says:

I really think elderberry & zinc have helped me stay healthy this year, and I’m excited to hear about black elderberry syrup! And to be able to incorporate it into a smoothie sounds like a perfect way to keep my immune system healthy while enjoying a smoothie. And with the cold/flu season about to start up, any added boost of immunity is a VERY good thing.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Always good to be prepared for the upcoming cold/flu season, especially this year!!

87. Chastiry T says:

Def want to try this out especially with my compromised immune system. So glad there’s no grapefruit or pomegranate as transplant patients can’t have those ingredients!!!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

You should definitely try it, Chastiry, I think it could really help! And even if it had ingredients on your ‘can’t eat’ list, you could always swap them out for items that fit into your personal dietary guidelines. 🙂

88. Beth Wells says:

I would love to try the black elderberry syrup! I have been working to boost my immune system and I think this would be a delicious way to give it a big boost.

89. Karen says:

This looks excellent and i would love this to boost my immune system especially since i have three auto-immune diseases and it is not safe for me to get sick

90. Rachael says:

Elderberry syrup is such a tried and true, downhome, easy way to boost immunity. I’ve recently gone back to work as a teacher and until I saw your post, realized I forgot to make my own!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

It really is such a great immunity booster, Rachael! Thank you for all you do as a teacher. Stay healthy!!

91. Jessica says:

This sounds like the perfect smoothie for back to school and work time! Quick question- I’ve never used dragon fruit, is there any tricks for peeling and cutting? Thank you!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

You can cut the peel off like you would an orange, there are some great videos online that show you (just search ‘how to peel a dragon fruit’). If you want a quicker way, many grocery stores carry frozen dragon fruit that’s already been peeled and cubed. Happy blending! 🙂

92. Cindi Hall says:

With everything going on with viruses and cancers and the cold/flu season around the corner, who can’t benefit from the extra boost of Sambucol Black Elderberry syrup!! Great healthy addition to any smoothie!! ❤️

93. Dora Suarez says:

Wow this looks amazing, I’d love to get some elderberry syrup to boost not only my immune system but my families too, especially my dad, he turns 86 next week and he’s a rock in my life. Can’t wait to try it, especially with locally sourced dragon fruit which is plentiful here in Miami FL.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

I love having access to so much fresh, local fruit when I visit Florida! And happy early birthday to your dad! 😀

94. laura ackerman says:

I love to put immune boosting ingredients in my daily smoothies. Last year I even ordered some dried elderberries and made my own syrup. It was really easy peasy.

95. Sarah Shrader says:

I’ve been looking into the all natural route for awhile now and I think there’s something to this elderberry. Excited to try the recipe and the brand you recommended. Hope it helps us all stay strong and safe during these times. Thanks so much.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

I agree, Sarah! Elderberry is good stuff. After you try the smoothie, come back and let us know what you thought! 🙂

96. Laura says:

How often would you drink this smoothie to get the benefits – daily or is that too much?

97. Erin says:

How could you not try this smoothie with that color!! I can’t wait to use some of the homemade elderberry syrup we made from an SGS recipe.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Agreed! The color is like a neon purple, I love it! And a great way to use your homemade elderberry syrup. 😀

98. Lisa Zirkle says:

Can you add spinach or some kind of greens?

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

You definitely can, Lisa! I think spinach would work great and wouldn’t take away from the taste of the dragon fruit and blackberries. 🙂

99. Kat says:

Perfect smoothie for back to school immunity boosting!

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Exactly, Kat! We all need all the immunity-boosting help we can get right now and this smoothie is perfect for that! 🙂

100. Olivia says:

My mom made her own elderberry syrup and we’ve been using that. Is there added benefit to Sambucol’s

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Hey Olivia! No, there is no added benefit (except for convenience). I think a lot of people prefer homemade to store bought and that’s great you have some of your own!

1 2 3
the latest recipes

These are the go-to books, smoothie swag and guides for making tasty green smoothies and plant-powered meals.

Helpful Wellness Products

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
DIY FREEZER SMOOTHIE PREP ON A BUDGET
THE 21-DAY CLEANSE
autumn flavors

Discover exactly how to eat to lose weight, gain energy + boost your immune system, naturally.

For 21 days, you'll embrace an autumn-inspired  plant-based whole foods diet packed with smoothies, hearty snacks and soul-comforting meals. This is unlike any other cleanse out there— and that's why you get lasting results!

LEARN MORE