I’m Jen Hansard, mom of 2 and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a mostly plant-powered diet and helped 1 million+ families do it.

PLANT-BASED MEAL PLAN
BEST-SELLING RECIPE BOOKS
Search Recipes

Live Community

7-DAY SUMMER RESET

JOIN NOW!

How to make healthy coffee (and actually enjoy it)

By: Jen Hansard | last Updated: 6.14.2018 | COMMENTS: 278

Just like I believe in a daily green smoothie, I also believe in a daily ritual of healthy coffee to kick start the day. Coffee’s not just a caffeine boost, but an opportunity to infuse a variety of health benefits into your daily routine. Not all coffee is created equal… and it’s starts with the beans.

I learned a lot about beans and the impact they can have on farmers, soil and health benefits from Raj Jana, founder of JavaPresse, a small-batch coffee company. We were at an event in New York City together a few weeks ago and I had a great conversation about morning routines with smoothies and coffee. (go figure, right?!) Java Presse has a coffee subscription service and created a special offer for only SGS Rawkstars where you get a FREE burr grinder when you sign up right here. You pretty much great coffee and a great grinder for just $20… it’s an insane deal.

Yet that’s not why I am blogging today. I really want to take you on a deep dive into what I learned from Raj about how we can get the most out of our daily cup of coffee by making it even healthier.

A hot mug of coffee isn’t just any drink for most of us—it’s the launch pad for each day. And yet, we often treat our morning coffee like an indulgent treat, rather than an opportunity to start each day with a healthy, life-enhancing habit.

I also am trying to be more intentional with my entire morning routine. Enjoying a cup of coffee while reading a good book has been a recent experience for me. Right now I’m reading Rachel Hollis’ book, Girl Wash Your Face and feel like she’s been inside my head and talking right to me. You should read it if you want a good laugh and good “wake up and start living your life” pep talk from a new friend.

Back to my point: Your morning mug can be so much more flavorful, rewarding, and healthy (if you choose to embrace it!)  Here’s some tips on how you can do it:

1. Keep your coffee simple

I used to say “I like coffee with my half and half,” which was the truth. I would pour in the cream to make the coffee less bitter and much creamier. Over the years, I’ve transitioned from love for cream to grass-fed butter in my coffee… and the results are where it’s at! Removing loads of dairy from my coffee has helped with tummy troubles, acne and bloating. And the extra dose of healthy fats keep me satiated, create a creamy coffee and also kick start my digestive system. That’s all I need to make a perfect cup of coffee.

Maybe dairy never has been a thing… maybe it’s sweetener. Well, it’s time to remove the sweeteners, which are creating artificially energy at the sake of leaching nutrients from your body. It’s a short term win (happy energy) for a long term loss (weight gain, nutrient deficiencies). Try adding a dash of cinnamon or ground vanilla bean to naturally sweeten it.

Or, maybe even try drinking black coffee. According to Raj, this is the BEST way to get the most out of a cup of coffee. And yes, there is a way to do it without gagging from the bitterness or harsh acidic bite. Here’s how:

Buy specialty coffee and brew it the right way. A good specialty-grade bean ground fresh and made in a french press—bitterness? Gone. Gross acidity? Gone. It’s incredibly balanced and full of flavor on its own. No additives necessary.

2. Buy from the right farms and roasters

Not all coffee is grown equally. Buy from roasters who work with farmers focused on quality and sustainability. Did you know…

• Commercial coffee is heavily treated with chemicals at the farm level
  • For a 100% pesticide-free coffee, buy from farmers obsessed with environmental sustainability

To ensure his beans are naturally grown and healthy as can be, Raj only sources coffees from farmers as excited about sustainability as he is—and they are almost always certified by an environmental organization.

By the time coffee beans have been extracted from the coffee cherry, roasted, and brewed into rich coffee, there’s hardly any chemical residue left from pesticides. However, especially with low-grade commercial coffee, many of the pesticides being used abroad are actually banned in the United States. This means there’s always a small chance you could be negatively impacted if one of these chemicals finds its way to your beans.

But here’s how you can easily avoid this risk: by buying naturally grown coffee.

Healthy coffee environmental certifications

There are a few environmental certifications you can look for to ensure your coffee’s grown naturally. These have strict standards about what kinds of chemicals can be used (making them a safe bet):

• Certified Organic
  • Bird-Friendly
  • Rainforest Alliance
  • UTZ Certified

There is a potential downside to only sticking with Certified Organic coffee, however. Most coffee farms don’t have enough financial security to invest in that particular certification (which can be costly for these small, rural families). By only buying Certified Organic beans, you may unknowingly penalize incredible farmers that cannot afford the certification—so make sure you enjoy beans with some of the other less costly certifications mentioned above as well.

Our take on healthy coffee | Simple Green Smoothies

3. Go with the lighter roast

Light and dark roast coffees are both full of healthy nutrients.  Yet you’re going to reap slightly more benefits from coffees on the lighter side. To get the maximum health benefits, opt for a light to medium roast when you’re picking your next coffee instead of a darker Vienna or French roast.

Research has shown that light roasts have 10-15% more chlorogenic acid concentration than dark roasts.  This means this lighter coffee has a greater ability to reduce inflammation and maximize the efficiency of antioxidants. So while light roasts have only slightly more antioxidants than dark roasts, your body uses them more efficiently when paired with those chlorogenic acids. I am loving the Fresh Start coffee beans that Raj sent me for the coffee of the month— and if you order now you can get them too for June!

By now, you can tell my love for coffee run deep (almost up there with a green smoothie!). Yet you have to make sure you’re drinking coffee a certain way to reap the health benefits. These tips will help ensure you’re maximizing those rewards and eliminating risks.

French Press to make Healthy Coffee

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Cook Time: 5 minutes
  • Yield: 1 cup 1x
  • Category: beverage
  • Method: One-pot
  • Cuisine: American
  • Diet: Vegan

Using a fresh press coffee system allows you to effectively extract essential oils from your favorite beans and deliver bold flavor into each cup of healthy coffee.

• 50g (10 Tbs) coffee beans
  • 850ml (28 oz) water

1. Grind the coffee at a coarse setting just before brewing to preserve the freshness and flavors and pour into your press.
  2. Heat your water to boiling, then pour it over the grounds.
  3. Start a stopwatch.
  4. After one minute, take a spoon and gently submerge the grounds that have formed a ‘crust’ on the surface.
  5. After four minutes, press down the plunger, pour into a few mugs, and enjoy.

• Standard pre-ground coffee is generally too fine for french press brewing and may get stuck in the mesh filter, creating a lot of resistance when you try to plunge.
  • After plunging the filter, make sure to decant all the coffee—otherwise it will slowly continue to brew and become bitter within the press.

Keywords: french press coffee recipe

Tags:    /   Categories: Plant Based Drinks, Recipes

Transform your health with our live community reset that starts July 6.

SUMMER RESET!
JOIN NOW!

LIVE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Karin says:

I love my coffee straight black, always have, made with good beans. I use a drip maker, set up the night before, so the smell of coffee pulls me out of bed.

2. Patty says:

I love good coffee…you really can tell the difference! I have tried the grass fed butter and it is tasty!

3. Kathy Keyes says:

We became lovers of espresso when we visited Switzerland while staying in the home of our friend. Our son bought us a french press that we have really come to enjoy. Picking the right coffee is our challenge now. Thanks Jen for the coffee information, I’ll keep this in mind next time I purchase our coffee. 🙂

4. Lisa Giannetti says:

We started buying better coffee because it makes a huge difference. Life is too short to drink bad coffee!! My adult children use a French press. The coffee is consistently less bitter with a deeper, richer flavor. I’m excited to try it for myself and think my husband will enjoy it too. Thanks for the info.

5. Bethany Surreira says:

French Press all the way!!! I even have a small press that I travel with just in case

6. Shana says:

French Press all the way, baby! Easiest way to get the portion I want — 1 perfect cup — w/out wasting precious grinds. I’ll try the oil or butter options suggested, since I know for me, cream (half/half or nut creamer) is all about the fat…it’ll be interesting to experience black (looking) coffee with a little “thick” to it 🙂

Thx for this article…Coffee is the hardest thing to give up; now I don’t have to!

7. Megan says:

I make my organic coffee a great start to every day by sprinkling lots of organic ground cinnamon & ginger (or sometimes nutmeg or cardamom, depending on my mood) over the ground coffee before I brew. It ones out infused with a delightful taste & aroma.

8. Lacey Brown says:

My husband and I recently got a BUNN coffee maker and are loving it! He grinds beans from our local coffee shop. We really love the flavored creamer, but after reading some of the other tips here, I’m interested in trying some of them to better my health. Thanks so much Rawkstars!

9. Bethan says:

I drink mine black – sometimes with a spoonful of coconut oil. Delicious!
    But I am careful about which coffee I drink. Some coffee contains histamine, which gives me an instant headache.

10. Deana Johansen says:

I’m a cold brew girl myself, but willing to try a French Press.

11. Amanda Gilbert says:

We grind organic coffee beans and use a Keurig reusable pod. Before I brew I add a spoon of collagen peptides and dried rosehips. Then after my coffee is ready I add delicious organic heavy whipping cream. Delicious and nutritious!

12. Natalia says:

I typically make my coffee old school in that I brew it in a regular coffee pot. From there I pour it in my blender with some grass-fed butter, a dash of cinnamon and a few drops of SweetLeaf sweetener. Creamy and delicious, but I have been wanting to upgrade to a French Press (it just seems fancier and takes up less room on the counter than a regular coffee pot).

13. Marie says:

Hi there ! I am impressed to see how many people use a French press…as a French person, I didn’t know it was related to us :))) I use it when I am out of filters or my coffee maker is not functioning. Usually, I take grounded coffee from Colombia or Bolivia, organic and fair-trade. The flavour is medium strong, quite perfect, We always had a drip filter coffee machine and unbleached filters. I don’t use tap water, only bottle water. 1 tsp / 1 tsp 1/2 per small cup depending on how strong the coffee has to be. I would suggest avoiding at all cost any dairy, coffee alone make your body react, it like a bomb if you add dairy products. I only drink 2 cups a day

14. Lizzet Mendez says:

The way I brew my coffee is to bring water to boil in a small pot with a cinnamon stick, then add Folgers medium roast coffee and add more water, let that come to a boil. Then I serve myslef a cup and only add my favorite Trader Joes Coconut Cream and enjoy ! I know it sounds a bit weird, which is why it would be so awesome to get the chance to win this cool french press.

15. Angie says:

My usual is to plop a kcup into the Keurig and add coconut creamer and stevia. I do buy organic kcups, but I’m going to try this French press thing again. Last time I tried I think I left it in too long and it got bitter. Love my morning cup of coffee.

16. Brooke Russell says:

I am embarrassed to say that I use a plain old coffee maker. I make a full pot one day and drink leftovers the next (yuck!) I’m in need of a coffee makeover..

• marie says:

Hi Brooke, please don’t be embarassed, this is great coffee and believe me (except for great expresso machines of course). We also drink leftovers the next day ahaha ! But the pot is closed so that’s ok :)).
      Marie

17. Hannah Vera Ralph says:

Hello! My favorite way to make coffee is in my Yield french press. It’s such a pretty amber color and makes the whole coffee making process that much more special 🙂 Then, I blend with 1/2 tsp coconut butter and a teaspoon of Four Sigmatic functional mushrooms. It’s such an enjoyable ritual for me, I love it!

18. Chona Navarro says:

I use a French press, always. Usually buy coffee beans that are certified organic and fair trade. For each cup of coffee I add,
    1T collagen hydrosolate, 1T grass-fed beef isolate protein powder, and 1 tsp. grass-fed butter, and… sometimes I add 1 tsp. MCT oil. I don’t always add the protein powder and butter… depends on whether I’m cutting down on fat. It’s delish!!

19. Arielle Vicenti says:

I enjoy using a French press. I like that it gets a bit of froth on top and it just tastes sooo good. Not much for words, but I do love coffee, especially from a French press. 🙂

20. Zadora says:

Drinking coffee is one of my favorite rituals! I love mine with a bit of steamed coconut milk or almond milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

21. Tabitha Good says:

As a nurse who works the night shift, coffee can sometimes be a lifeline
    I currently brew coffee with a standard drip coffee maker but I recently found a French press that I’ve been waiting to try. I’ve also changed to lighter roast coffee and am enjoying the lesser acidity!

22. Josh McComas says:

I love making my coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil, teaspoon of cinnamon, and a couple packets of stevia! Yum!

23. delilah demers says:

I enjoy a pour over every morning. I sit outside and enjoy the morning and lovely nature. Listen to the birds, look at the green garden. Remind myself how special life (and my coffee) is… I also add a bit of coconut milk to my coffee. Gives it a wonderful nutty taste and a tad bit of natural sweetening.

24. LC says:

I love to have my morning cup of coffee BY MYSELF at the dining room table looking outside at the birds. No kids, no husband, just me, my cuppa coffee and an overwhelming sense of gratitude for life.

25. Charis says:

I’m recently and cautiously getting to like coffee. Drank my first real cup of coffee with my husband during our 21st anniversary trip in Hawaii this past April. We visited Hula Daddy’s plantation and I was surprised that I didn’t gag on the straight up coffee, but we figured out it was a light roast. Since then, I occasionally enjoy a cup made in our single cup french press blended with butter or coconut oil, some cocoa and a scoop of protein powder.

26. Christy Webster says:

I like to use chocolate protein powder and sugar free creamer in mine.

27. Derek Snyder says:

Interesting to learn that light to medium roast coffee is healthier. I love dark roast coffee. This will be an interesting change for my pallette. I do prefer a good cup of joe from a French press. It is a cool ritual to drink coffee this way.

28. Rhonda says:

My favorite way to make coffee at home is with my French Press. It really is a simple way to brew. I love drinking my coffee black, but have been known to add cream or a touch of chocolate or peppermint.

29. Jim says:

You might as well sever an arm as ask me to quit my long standing coffee habit. It’s my comfort food and what gets me through each and every crazy day. I enjoy a pour over or french press depending on the bean but honestly most days its auto drip. I do make bullet proof coffee several days a week which consist of cinnamon, butter, MCT oil, Cacao and a splash of coconut milk, which makes a frothy delicious cappuccino like beverage. I do try to support fair trade practices and source my beans from small reputable farmers.

30. chelsea says:

We LOVE using our french press, we got hooked on it at a local restaurant and got rid of our bunn coffee maker! We paid a lot for that coffee maker, we used Christmas money and splurged on it. But we got rid of it and got a French press for WAY less and it was so much better coffee, we have used one for about a year now and will never go back! Best purchase ever! So easy to make it that way. I read that coffee makers get moldy inside cause of the little tubes and that really grossed me out too. I just recently purchased a cold brew french press for $10 and it is fabulous! My favorite way to drink coffee is with a little dark chocolate almond milk in it, yum! My husband just drinks his black, yum! We buy fair trade organic coffee we notice a big difference in how we feel, other coffees do really hurt our stomachs. We love a great cup of joe!

31. ShowiesAnn says:

I like the experience of coffee (and food). It’s a great pleasure to see others experience this also. The warmth of the mug pressed against your palms, the aromatic steam that rises to greet you, just before your sip. It relaxes my body and soul. I rarely miss the taste of coffee, but the whole shabang of it. Thank you for helping spread this joy! Have a blessed day!

32. S Emory says:

Wow, I’ve alwayshated the way coffee tasted and whenever I drank it, I had to load it with sugar and cream, or honey and cream. It never dawned on me that maybe because of the darker roast and the fact that the beans hadn’t been sustainably grown, were the reasons for the awful taste of black coffee. Now with this new information in your blog, I can give coffee a try again. And the giveaway would go perfectly well with my new found information and restart of coffee journey!!

33. Leshara Lee says:

I use my Keurig to brew my coffee and I add French vanilla or hazelnut creamer!

34. Paige says:

Great info! I had no idea lighter coffee is better for you and a French press actually has extra health benefits

35. Linda zarnett says:

I love my 2 cups of coffee every morning, it does jump start my whole body for the day. I was a 1 tsp. Sugar And cream drinker but several years ago I dropped the habit and added 1-2 tsp.of Saigon cinnamon (it doesn’t get gelatinous) and a couple dashes of turmeric to my cup of coffee. I didn’t lose weight , just a bad habit and I reap the benefits of the cinnamon and turmeric which satisfy my sweet tooth and stimulate my brain cells.

36. Kristen says:

My favorite is with a splash of cream and a shake of cinnemon! Im hoping to te a French press soon to up my game

37. Jennifer VanDenHeuvel says:

Very good information. I like using a French press and I will definitely try some of the techniques discussed.

38. Leslie says:

Thanks for all the helpful information. I was not aware that the lighter roast were more beneficial. So, I learned something new today. 🙂

39. lyn says:

I think that the mug is also part of the ritual. I only use mugs that feel great in my hands or are from a very special place. I have been away from the French press for years but would love to embrace coffee as part of my morning ritual again as I have just reignited my smoothie mornings !

40. Ren martin says:

I have never heard of putting butter in coffee it will be interesting to give it a try in my cuisinart brew.

41. Kara Cline says:

When I have a nice leisurely morning at home, I love to make a pour over in my little Chemex-style pot!

42. Maureen says:

My coffee is fresh ground, add cinnamon and brew in a French Press. Add Kerry gold butter and froth! Perfection

43. Michelle Andrews says:

We are really boring for coffee lovers. We just use a plain Mr. Coffee machine. I would love to win this French press!

44. Rebecca Conner says:

I mix ground cinnamon and cardamom to freshly ground coffee in my French Press, then add hot water.

45. Tonya Simpson says:

I’m down for it all… french press, drip, Espresso machine. Walk into the office every morning with a good cup of coffee in one and and my green smoothie in the other. Best way to start off my work day

46. Sarah L Pietsch says:

Cold Brew is my method of choice. Highly customizable and ready when I am!

47. Sanchaika says:

I like mine half milk, half water, no sugar with a lot of froth. I am waiting to try french press now.

48. Kimberlee says:

I love making cold brew. The drawback is I have to plan in advance—the night before! But it’s the quickest way for me to get caffeinated because it’s not too hot to chug. I love iced beverages, especially now that summer is here.

49. Abbie Schefter says:

As someone that works full time, goes to school full time and has two children. My favorite coffee is whatever is available. I’d love some really good coffee, currently I’m stuck with drip.

50. Darlene says:

While I love my grind and brew Cuisinart for everyday I do appreciate the more civilized French press for weekends. It’s more intentional making a really great cup of coffee to be savored leisurely.

51. Bernie says:

I’m currently using an aeropress and I love it but I dream of learning how to make great french pressed coffee and hosting brunches for my friends and family. I know a coffee is good when I enjoy drinking it black but sometimed i like to fancy it up with a dash of cinnamon and a splash of organic cream.

52. Cathy McCra says:

I use a Kurig, I like flavored coffee and drink it black. Would like to try something different.

53. Suzanne Perry says:

Double espresso coffee with my Breville machine with homemade almond milk / vanilla / pinch of salt in almond milk …cinnamon on top

54. Christine Lynch says:

My favorite is having a cup of coffee made especially for me with love from a friend or family member

55. Amanda Campbell says:

I’m a middle school teacher – coffee is my lifeblood during the school year! I usually brew at work, and my preferred method is a pour over funnel and a funky mug. I can drink it black, but I prefer a little bit of organic unsweetened almond milk. I can’t live without it on busy school day!

56. Sharon Lentz says:

When I want a good cup of coffee, I use an Aeropress and just brew one cup at a time. Thanks for the information. Hope to make lots of great coffee in the future!

57. Donna says:

Right now I am using a Keurig to make my coffee but I have always wanted to try a french press. I too put Kerrygold butter in my coffee and use Stevia as my sweetener.

58. Richard Vasconi says:

I make a pot of French Press coffee every morning. If I buy coffee that is finer grind, not course ground, I use the pour through method. Then add half and half.

59. Lori says:

As a former coffee barista, I have tried coffee almost every way possible. I would love to try this coffee! I still enjoy my morning cup with a splash of half n half. 4 out of 5 kiddos enjoy a half cup while snuggling with us on the couch every morning before work and school. (Before our green smoothies of course!)

60. Jolene says:

I make cold brew, which also cuts the bitterness. I have to do decaf though, my body canNOT handle caffeine. Thanks for the giveaway!!

61. Minda says:

Since I’m preggo and limiting my coffee intake, a percolator is how I make my coffee the majority of the week because it’s so quick. On the weekends, I love French Press and chill leftovers for iced coffee. While I usually drink my coffee black, if I’m feeling fancy, a splash of pure maple syrup and almond milk is quite the treat!

62. Linda Lee says:

Thanks for al te good information. I would love to try grass fed butter in my coffe.

63. Jamie says:

Coffee is good anywhere. I know you said that the light roast is slightly better however I love the dark roast. I always buy organic coffee and grind it myself. Sometimes I use a french press and sometime a brewer. ( depending on the crowd). Great article I enjoyed reading it.

64. Elizabeth says:

We add 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda on top of the grounds before brewing to alkalize our coffee. Once brewed, most of the time I like my coffee just the way it is- black, pure, unadulterated- for that full-bodied yummy coffee taste mmmm. But sometimes I like to indulge myself with a few spoonfuls of cocoa mix stirred in… Don’t judge. =)

65. Kevin M says:

I buy my coffee from a local roaster (Coffee Times) where the beans are regionally sourced directly from the farms. I drink too much for a French press in the morning so its fresh ground, into my trusty drip coffee maker, and poured straight into my cup. Buying good coffee makes all the difference!

66. Emiley says:

I like my (organic) coffee with just a bit of (organic) half and half, but after reading your article, I may try it with organic butter, or, even black!

67. Michelle says:

When I was in the last cleanse, giving up coffee for the 21 days was the hardest part – but now that I’ve come back, I’m drinking less but the best light roasts in my French Press. I’m an even more discerning coffee snob than ever! Thanks for introducing us to this great new service, blogging about what you’re up to, which is always awe-mazing! and thanks for this super fun contest. #rawkon!

68. Mona Cameron-Ball says:

I’m using a Keurig right now as I am the only coffee drinker in the house. I do buy all organic coffee and add only organic soy milk. Would love to try the French Press method, but does it work well for just one 12oz cup?

69. Lauri says:

I love adding Kerrygold butter and a tablespoon of MCT oil to my French pressed coffee. I know I need to switch over to fresh roasted coffee beans but didn’t know where to begin. Thanks for all the great tips and leads to quality sources!

70. Logan says:

Thanks for a chance at the giveaway! I love to make a beautiful, delicious cup of pour-over each morning. 😀

71. Kathy says:

I use my Keurig but my daughter loves her French press.

72. Katy G says:

We use the Bodum Automatic Pourover…a splurge after always using their French press. It creates a great cup of coffee.

73. Beth says:

We love using our French press! Great post.

74. Marie-Claire Pommier says:

Just made cold brew coffee for the first time – perfect over ice cubes with a dash of full fat Guernsey, Channel Island milk (the best milk in the world)… Brewed overnight in cold water and refreshing on a hot Summer’s day 🙂

75. Sherry Parker says:

I make coffee in aftench press on morning we have more time. And I use only one tsp organ grass fed cream and fill up with organic medium coffee.

I would love to win this. And try.

76. Christina Johnston says:

Trying to break the keurig habit!

77. Traci Ziebarth says:

Wow I’d love to learn how to make healthy coffee! Right now I use a Keurig and put splenda and creamer in. This article showed me that I need to reconsider and try new ways to make my coffee healthy. Please pick me!

• Jen Hansard says:

So glad you found this post helpful— once you upgrade your daily coffee to something like this, it’s hard to go back. It really becomes a beautiful experience every single day… so glad we could help you think about it.

78. Helene says:

I love making coffee in the morning to start the day, or when good friends are visiting to create the perfect atmosphere. I’m actually moving out this fall to study engineering. It would be amazing to start the day with coffee from this french press!

• Jen Hansard says:

We need more female engineers in the world— so excited for you! I couldn’t agree more about making coffee when friends visit— it’s a super special experience.

79. Cortney Zimmerman says:

I love coffee of all kinds- My favorite cup of coffee was from a French press (which I don’t have, but desperately would love to win!!!) I just graduated the Respiratory Therapy program and am studying for the boards… hello endless cups of coffee!

• Jen Hansard says:

Hahahaha!!! You totally need to win this!!! Good luck with the boards— so awesome girl!

80. Tracey Bryant says:

I use a Keurig but have been seeing so much lately about French press that I want to try it.

81. Kristen Thomas says:

Love making iced coffee!

82. Elizabeth says:

My husband loves his coffee. We used a French press regularly until I broke while cleaning it. We are currently using a keurig because my husband likes how easy it is for him.

I switched from coffee to tea because I couldn’t make myself drink coffee without creamer. Reading your post makes me want to revisit black coffee.

83. Julie Gravelle says:

I have a regular filter maker but i do love my French Press.. Unfortunately it broke recently so winning anew one would be perfect!!

84. Janeen Olson says:

I love adding coconut or MCT oil to my coffee. I blend it up a bit with a mini frother and it’s so yummy. Keeps me satisfied until I eat lunch or have a green smoothie later in the morning

85. Sharon says:

I love light roast coffee; I make it by pour over method and I drink it black! Occasionally I like a shot of espresso with a side of seltzer water.

86. Connie says:

I like to make cold brew coffe at home!

87. Paulene Torres says:

I drink my coffee with grass-fed butter and coconut oil and it is delicious.

88. Brenda says:

This might sound like a lot, but I love my coffe with Ceylon cinnamon, pinch cayenne, collagen powder, T of MTC oil and a little full fat coconut cream. To me it’s lovely.

89. Victoria Zuniga says:

I use a keurig with a reusable Kcup during the week and a French press on the weekends.

90. Jen says:

I fell in love with French Press when traveling in Ireland and have been trying to perfect the process ever since. I go back and forth between adding half & half, coconut oil, and butter. This article has inspired me to try butter again!

91. Christina Stokes says:

I’m still using the k cups in my Keurig. Definitely time for a healthier option! I will be trying the grass fed butter this week instead of creamer. Thanks for the tip.

92. Heidi says:

Regular ole drip for us…with four kids, we need to simplify as much as possible. I wait to drink my coffee until mid-morning, when I need the pick-me up.

93. Julie Fialho says:

I love using my French Press because it allows me the time I need to get ready while it steeps!

94. Robin says:

Love our La Pavoni manual espresso machine, but I’ve been meaning to try a french press.

95. Lorraine says:

I use organic maple syrup as my sweetener

96. Amy Skaar says:

French press girl here! I have a single serve in my office!

97. Salem says:

I use a Cuisinart automatic drip machine with a cone filter. We like to buy local roast and have them ground especially for our style of system. I LOVE French press, but alas have not mastered the art. Hope to take some of the tips here (and add some butter!) and brew a better cup.

98. Elizabeth Ramirez says:

During the week I use my single serve Nespresso but on the weekends I bust out my French Press. I love drinking my coffee with a splash of Soy Creamer and no sugar. Took me years to finally get used to drinking coffee without sugar.

99. Leyla Herrera says:

I love my coffee French pressed. I don’t add anything to my coffee. Key is to buy a good quality coffee.

100. Lindsey Heaberlin says:

I love my coffee french-pressed with a little bit of non-dairy creamer

1 2 3

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE