This vanilla matcha smoothie is perfect as a satisfying breakfast or delicious mid-morning snack. Softened cashews, coconut water, cashew milk, matcha powder, frozen banana and vanilla come together for a tasty protein-packed, antioxidant-rich matcha smoothie.
The moderate level of caffeine along with mood-stabilizing l-theanine in the matcha powder provides sustained energy without any of the anxious jittery sensations you experience from a cup of coffee.
How Much Caffeine Does Matcha Have?
Matcha tea has between 30 to 70 mg of caffeine per cup of tea. By comparison, a cup of coffee has between 125 and 150 mg of caffeine, and a cup of green tea has 15 to 30 mg of caffeine.
Health Benefits of a Matcha Smoothie
Adding matcha powder to this smoothie is an easy way to incorporate a load of health benefits into your diet. Matcha tea is a powdered form of green tea leaves. Just ¼ to ½ teaspoon of matcha powder has the same antioxidant content as 8 to 10 cups of green tea. Matcha is a great source of L-theanine, a rare amino acid which promotes well-being, relaxation, concentration and focus.
A 2017 scientific literature review found that green tea catechins have a number of health benefits, including protecting against cardiovascular disease, aiding in cancer prevention, and possessing anti-inflammatory properties.
More health benefits in this green tea matcha smoothie:
- Cashews and cashew milk: This protein-packed nut is good for your heart.
- Coconut water: This thirst-quenching water alternative is packed with electrolytes.
- Matcha powder: Scoop this antioxidant-rich powder into your smoothie.
- Banana: Banana adds sweetness without causing your blood sugar to spike. With low-glycemic sugars and pectin, bananas thicken your smoothie. They also lend a creamy texture and perfect amount of sweetness. This recipe calls for frozen bananas, but you can use fresh, too. Make sure to add a few ice cubes if using fresh bananas.
- Vanilla: Adds a low-calorie boost of flavor while providing magnesium.
How Much Matcha Do I Use in a Smoothie?
A little matcha powder goes a long way, so you don’t want to overdo it. Start with 1 teaspoon in your smoothie. Have a sip. And if you want more matcha flavor, start by adding matcha powder in 1/8 teaspoon increments.
You probably don’t want to add much more than 1½ teaspoons total or your smoothie will start to taste like grass. (And that’s def it the goal here).
I use the Republic of Tea Organic Full-Leaf Matcha that comes in a cute tin. I prefer the tins to help with the mess and it stores nicely in my cupboard.
How to make a matcha smoothie
It’s incredibly easy to make a matcha green tea smoothie with plant-based protein. I really wanted to boost the creaminess, so we’re using soaked cashews. Its
You’ll need to soak the cashews in coconut water to soften. You can soften cashew with three methods. The first method retains the most nutrients.
Soaking Cashews for a Creamy Smoothie
Method #1: soak the cashews overnight for 8 hours in the coconut water.
Method #2: Soak the cashews in boiling hot water for 10 minutes. This is what I call the “flash-boil” method when there’s no time to waste. Drain and then add to blender. You’ll lose some nutrients, yet you’ll still get the cream factor.
Once the cashews are softened, add them to a blender along with the coconut water that they were soaking in. Add the cashew milk, matcha, frozen banana, and vanilla beans to blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Make this incredible matcha smoothie recipe for breakfast or snack and enjoy a delicious and energizing drink full of health benefits!Print
The mellow taste of matcha with sweet vanilla, blended into a delicious, creamy smoothie. Enjoy any time of the day, this recipe is perfect for breakfast, pre- and post-workout and midnight snacks, too!
- 2 Tbsp cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 3/4 cup cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon matcha (or more, if desired)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ginger root (optional)
- Soak cashews in coconut water.
- Add cashews with water to blender.
- Add cashew milk, matcha, frozen banana, ginger and vanilla to blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
For added sweetness and more vanilla flavor, add 1-2 pitted medjool dates to the blender.
Keywords: matcha smoothie