FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

Oh Sweet Beets!

11.17.2013

Citrus Beet Cleanser Green Smoothie

I  love beets!!! I make them a lot at home, especially when I see them at my farmers market for cheap. Most people either love ‘em or hate ‘em. There’s usually no in between. But, we are here to tell you, after several attempts at making a delicious beet-inspired Simple Green Smoothie, we have finally found one good enough to call our own.

For those of you who are fans of beets, never had one or just maybe feel like adding a raw beet to your green smoothie sounds weird, this article is for you.

Why We Love Beets

Beets are amazingly high in folate. So many mamas out there trying to get pregnant or already have a baby on the way – Yay! – get your beet on! A cup of beets contain nearly half of your folate needs which help protect baby against birth defects.

Want to keep things moving? Reach for  a beet! Beets are full of fiber which keep you full longer and also keep things moving on a regular basis.

Beets also contain high amounts of naturally occurring nitrates which might help increase exercise performance.

Waste not, want not! The entire beet plant is edible – leafy greens and all.

Loaded with antioxidants like Vitamin C, beets can help increase your immune system and lower your risk of cancer and other chronic illnesses.

Tips for enjoying a green smoothie with beets:

Roasting them before you add them to your blender. You can find out all about roasting different root vegetables here.

BAKED
Preheat oven to 400 degrees – Scrub each beet with a veggie brush, be sure to trim off the leafy greens and reserve for another time. Slice unpeeled beets into quarters, place on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. Once cooled, you can toss a few into your smoothies and enjoy all the sweet goodness beets have to offer.

STEAMED
In a steamer basket with a couple inches of water in pan, add scrubbed beet that has been cut in quarters (greens trimmed off) steam for about 15 minutes until just cooked through or a knife easily comes out. You now have amazing little beets with a super sweet taste that knocks an incredible punch to your green smoothies all week. The steaming brings down the “whoa” factor and mellows it to perfection. You can now add ½-1 cup of roasted beets to any of our favorite green smoothies.

And here’s a brand spankin’ new recipe created just for you…

Whole 30 Green Smoothie | Carrot Beet Berry

Oh So Beet Smoothie

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Cook Time: 2 minutes
  • Yield: 2 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks
  • Method: Blending
  • Cuisine: Healthy

This beet smoothie recipe is high in antioxidants and brings out the best in beets. Make sure to wash and peel the beets first to reduce some of the “earthy” taste.

• 2 cups chard
  • 2 cups almond milk
  • 1/2 cup berries
  • 1 ripe pear
  • 1 banana
  • 1/4 cup roasted beets
  • 2 tbsp nut butter

1. Blend chard and almond milk
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 2

Keywords: Beet smoothie

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Carla Williams says:

Wow! I never thought beets could taste so good. I made this today and it was absolutely gorgeous. Thank you guys – I love all your smoothies.

2. Joy Lavelle says:

Can you use beets that are already cooked and vacuum packed? New to all this. On the no gall bladder sirgery for me diet lol! Been eating clean and using smoothies for 43 days, lost 19 pounds and I feel great! I live in farm coun5ry and grow alot of my own veggies, so fresh beets are easily accessible.
    Do you ever do anything with squashes or pumpkin in the fall?
    Thank you for this wonderful site!
    Joy

3. Layne says:

I’m really interested in trying this recipe. However, is there an acceptable way of utilizing beets in their raw state?

Thank you!!!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Layne,

You can definitely blend them raw too! I just them into chunks, or shred them before blending.

4. Kent says:

You could replace the Chard in this recipe with beet tops, it’s pretty much the same thing…

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Great idea, Kent! We love that you can use the entire beet for green smoothies, leaves and all!

5. Kassidy says:

I just tried beets in my smoothie for the first time ever and 1) what a beautiful color and 2) I enjoyed the natural sweetness! It’s good to see how beneficial beets are and I didn’t actually know the entire plant was edible so I’m looking for beet greens recipes right now!

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Kassidy,

We love beets for so many reasons and we’re so excited you’ve enjoyed adding them to your green smoothies!

Cheers to health, happiness, + leafy greens!

6. Melissa says:

Hi! I love your website, I am currently doing the 30-day challenge and I thought of doing this smoothie for Sunday, freestyle day 🙂 I have a question, to substitute the dates for bananas, how many should I put?
    Thanx a lot!

• Melissa says:

haha i got confused of page, I meant the Red velvet Green smoothie.

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Melissa,

Great question! Banana is the perfect substitute for dates! Not only does it add sweetness, but creates a deliciously creamy smoothie. Try starting with one banana, you can always add a second if you’re looking for an extra sweetness boost!

7. Jennifer says:

I am fairly new to doing the shakes in the morning and tried the beets in them. I loved the taste, but noticed I was extremely tired the whole day. I could not wait to get home and go to bed. Is the tryptopan just in the leafy greens or is it in all of it. Would like to continue using them, just can’t go around in a fog all day at work.

• SGS Rawkstar says:

Hi Jennifer,

Tryptophan levels are highest in the leaves, but you will also find that sleepy nutrient from the vegetable itself. Finding yourself extra sensitive to tryptophan? This may be the perfect bedtime smoothie!

8. Gaylene says:

I am new to the smoothies too but love, love them. I have a question about the beets, the info says 1/2-1/2cup of beets. Does that really mean a 1/4 cup?

9. Bhumika says:

Hi ladies can I add raw Beet to the smoothies?

10. Joyce says:

Jadah and Jen, and rawkstar team….thank you for sharing this website with us! You are helping so many people! God bless each one of you!
    Happy Easter ♡

11. Anneke says:

Hi, I am new to Simple Green Smoothies. I have been reading the recipe at the top of this page, and it said, 1 cup of Chard. Can you please tell me what it is as I have no idea. Never heard of it here in Australia.

Thanks in advance,

I am enjoying all the recipes from Simple Green Smoothies.

Warm regards, Anneke.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hi Anneke.

Welcome! Thanks for blending with us! Could it be called silver beet in Australia? 🙂

• Priscilla says:

So funny – I have wondered about this stuff called Chard for ages. Silverbeet, now I understand (from an Aussie living in Canada!)

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Happy to help, Priscilla! 🙂

1 2

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE