Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

The BEST Carrot Cake Smoothie

Crazy-Carrots

Run out of ideas for what else to do with these crunchy orange beauties other than eating them raw and tossing them into salads? We love this underdog veggie for their crunch factor and how they pack a nutritional punch.  Carrots are full of vitamins and minerals which are good for your health and your green smoothies.

We love adding carrots to our green smoothies for the health factor and we also think carrots make our green smoothies taste great. We usually add raw sliced carrots to our blenders but we know that sometimes blenders just can’t take the heat from blending up their fibrous, crunchy goodness.

If you’ve tried adding raw carrots to your hard-working machine and it just can’t get past those chunky little bits, then this one’s for you.

Roasted carrots in green smoothies

The magic in the oven turns hard fibrous carrots into sweet and caramelized goodness. This magic trick might be the thing your lovely blender is asking for.

If you want to find out how to perfectly roast this root vegetable click here

Keep roasted carrots in a sealed container in the refrigerator and you can add a handful of roasted carrots to your smoothies all week long.

Quick Tip** You can also steam chopped carrots for about 5-10 minutes as a quick and easy way to add them to your green smoothies while being kind and gentle to your blender.

Shauna's Carrot Cake Smoothie Recipe with Ginger5 reasons we are crazy for carrots

1. Kick Cancers A** : The chemical compounds in carrots have shown to decrease the risk of certain cancers and other chronic illnesses.

2. Fountain of Youth: With carrots’ high amounts of antioxidants, they are a great all-nautral anti-aging veggie.

3. Eye Like You: Carrots are high in Vitamin A, which help protect the health of your eyes — helping you see for years to come.

4. All Natural Toothbrush: That’s right. By chomping on these bad boys, they help clean your teeth and gums — no toothpaste required.

5. Easy on the Wallet: Available in most areas all year round, carrots are one of the cheapest veggies you can find in the produce section, which helps you keep more of your hard-earned moolah.

Carrot Cake Smoothie

• Yield: 2 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks

Carrot cake? Yes, Please! Want a piece of carrot cake but don’t want the guilt factor that goes along with it? Then try this recipe! It’ll knock your socks off and there won’t be an ounce of guilt after you finish the entire glass!

• 2 cups fresh spinach (fresh)
  • 1 ½ cups coconut milk
  • 2 carrots
  • ½ inch piece ginger
  • 2 pears
  • 1 cup pineapple
  • 1 banana

1. Blend spinach and coconut milk first until smooth.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend again.

instagram_carrotcake

Comment+

1. Michelle Sawtelle

November 21st, 2013 at 5:09 am

I don’t have time to roast carrots and my blender is too cranky to handle raw carrots but I’ve been using Bolthouse Farm 100% carrot juice instead. It is sold in the produce section of my grocery store. I love it!

2. Leah

December 3rd, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Those packaged drinks are just sugar they don’t have the antioxidants or other goodies that are in homemade smoothies unless they are cold pressed

3. Jane

December 7th, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Can you cook them in the microwave?

4. Jane

December 7th, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Can you cook them in microwave?

5. Jadah and Jen

December 8th, 2013 at 6:46 pm

You can microwave, Jane, but we don’t recommend it. Roasting or steaming are better cooking options 🙂

6. Brenda

April 15th, 2015 at 11:20 am

I am trying to find out if it is healthy to use my microwave for boiling water, reheating meals, and cooking meat, vegetables, etc. with it. Do you have any information proving it is healthy or not?

7. SGS Rawkstar

April 16th, 2015 at 4:54 am

Hi Brenda,

We like to rely on our ovens and stovetops when cooking, but you need to decide what works for you!

Cheers 🙂

8. Stephanie

March 16th, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Can we use raw carrots?

9. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 17th, 2014 at 8:26 am

Absolutely, Stephanie!

10. Lanai

April 1st, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Just came up with a great smoothie for a carrot smoothie this morning. Soo yummy. I love carrot juice!

11. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 2nd, 2014 at 10:34 am

Thanks for sharing, Lanai!

12. Ron

May 26th, 2014 at 8:27 am

The pineapple was very stringy. I’m using a Magic Bullet blender.

13. Christel

July 1st, 2014 at 6:59 am

I had the same problem with my Magic Bullet. I loved that little thing. I used it for years. I just replaced it (all the cups tabs were breaking off and it wasn’t blending as well at it once did. Just was getting too old) with a NutriNinja Pro. Now I no longer have strings of pineapple. So all that to say I think it just doesn’t have the power to break up those fibers. Maybe the ladies here have an easy fix. Good Luck!

14. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 28th, 2014 at 6:16 am

Hey Ron,

Pineapple can be stringy, try blending it first with only the liquids. Then add the rest of your ingredients.

15. Chris

June 14th, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Hi! I was “googling” CARROT SMOOTHIES and came across your site. Yay! After reading your post, I decided to pull out my food processor and shred some carrots to add to my smoothies. I’m happy with the results – they blended in perfectly and grating/shredding them seems like a good solution for those of us with standard blenders (not Vitamix, etc). Thanks for all the great info you provide here!

16. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 16th, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Awesome! Glad it worked well, Chris.

17. LINDA

June 19th, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Do the smoothie recipe cards or the 30 day challenge include all of these vegetable ones also?

18. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 20th, 2014 at 10:09 am

Neither of the products include these recipes at this time, Linda.

19. Kathy

August 7th, 2014 at 9:59 am

Just curious… Are the recipes on this page calling for roasted carrots or raw? I’ve been using raw and love Shauna’s carrot cake recipe. I add a tsp of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice per serving. Super spicy healthy treat for an awesome breakfast or lunch.

20. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 7th, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Hey Kathy!

Shauna’s carrot cake is FABULOUS! 🙂

21. Stacy

October 8th, 2014 at 11:15 am

Should I peel the carrots first?

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 9th, 2014 at 6:44 am

Yes, please peel your carrots. 🙂

23. Janet

October 9th, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Can you boil the carrots for a few mnts? or steam them is better?

24. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 9th, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Hey Janet, we prefer roasting, https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/root-veggies, or steaming, but if you prefer boiling, go for it. 🙂

25. Shirley Stapleton

October 29th, 2014 at 5:28 am

After roasting the carrots, can they be frozen? Or does that defeat the purpose?

Thanks…and I love your site!

26. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 29th, 2014 at 10:44 am

Hey Shirley.

Thanks for the question. I have roasted bananas and then frozen them, it worked out great. I haven’t tried carrots yet, but I am sure it will work out great too. 🙂

27. Dynamics

November 29th, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Why do you say to peel the carrot?

28. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

November 30th, 2014 at 8:27 pm

You can leave the peel on if you would like, Dynamics. 🙂

29. Milan

December 22nd, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I don’t cook my carrots before adding them to smoothies. I either buy the organic shredded carrots or shred them on a mondoline which takes no time. I like to eat veggies and fruits raw as much as possible.

30. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

December 23rd, 2014 at 7:55 am

Great tip!

31. Kimberly

April 22nd, 2015 at 9:27 am

Isn’t it easier to put the carrots in the juicer, and use the carrot juice as a liquid base? Or do you lose vitamins in the process? I have a juicer and a blender, so that might give a better outcome then trying to chop those carrots no?

32. SGS Rawkstar

April 22nd, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Hi Kimberly,

Both blending and juicing are great ways to give your body incredible nutrients—each way is just different. The downside of juicing, is that you aren’t getting the WHOLE fruit. You will be missing out on the fiber and all the other nutrients housed in the fleshy parts of fruits.

33. Alyssa

July 1st, 2015 at 1:27 pm

I would imagine it would be easier on the blender to use shredded raw carrots (like with a cheese grader) if I wanted to use raw rather than roasted or steamed. Do you have any experience with this? It would be a little more labor intensive. Do you think it would work?

34. SGS Rawkstar

July 2nd, 2015 at 4:43 am

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for reaching out! Raw carrots are great, especially if you have a rawkstar powerhouse blender! Shredded carrots are a great option, but without steaming or roasting your carrots, you might still be left with some pieces of carrots, instead of a creamy smoothie. But if that’s ok with you, go for it!

Cheers 🙂

35. Susan

July 8th, 2015 at 11:25 am

My thoughts are to juice the carrots along with my fruits for juicing, then use the leftover pulp in my smoothie… Planning to try this idea out soon!!

36. SGS Rawkstar

July 8th, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Hi Susan,

Interesting. So you’re planning on adding the juice + pulp of the fruits separately, to ensure you’re still getting the whole fruit’s benefits? Keep us updated, + let us know how it works out!

37. Cassandra

July 23rd, 2015 at 11:17 am

I just made the Immunity Booster Smoothie and instead of spinach I used swiss chard. It’s so yummy! My Vitamix did a great job with my raw farm share carrots. Thanks for the delicious recipes!

38. SGS Rawkstar

July 23rd, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Hi Cassandra,

Thanks for reaching out! We love hearing from our SGS community, so thank you for taking the time to reach out + let us know how you enjoyed our Immunity Booster Smoothie! We love the Vitamix, it’s a powerhouse blender, + love hearing yours did a great job blendin’ your carrots into a delicious green smoothie!

Cheers! 🙂

39. Karen

July 24th, 2015 at 4:43 am

I want to use up some of my ingredients in the fridge, I have everything for Shauna’s carrot cake but pears – could I use red apples instead ?

40. SGS Rawkstar

July 24th, 2015 at 10:59 am

Hi Karen,

Thanks for reaching out! We love Shauna’s carrot cake, and apples make the perfect substitution for pears in this recipe! You can also try substituting peaches or plums for the pears, as well! Reach back out, and let us know how you enjoyed this recipe!

41. Sharala

August 8th, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Hi:

I love these recipes. Here is my contribution to world peace, or at least smoothie peace. I use FROZEN crinkle cut carrots in my smoothies. They are perfect — a little mushy from being blanched and frozen, yet all the vites and color — I don’t know if the crinkle cut is necessary but that is what I use. They are so cute. This way you don’t have to worry about the carrots not getting fully blended.

I also freeze fresh fruits to add. Bananas — peel and cut in quarters, then freeze in plastic jar or ziplock. Strawberries — just freeze in the box they come in. Pull out a couple and wash them under warm water and pull off stems, then add. Grapes (seedless, any color) — wash, let dry, take off stems and freeze in ziplock bag. Blueberries, just freeze in their box or ziplock. Take out a handful, rinse under warm wter and add to smoothie. and so on. This all works and really makes for a good smoothie — all the frozen items really work well.

42. SGS Rawkstar

August 11th, 2015 at 10:32 am

Hi Sharala,

Great tips! Thank you so much for doing your part towards reaching smoothie peace!

Peace, love, + leafy greens!

1 2
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM