7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Best Green Smoothies For Pregnancy

Are you pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant soon? Are you wondering about blending up some healthy green smoothies for pregnancy? We’ve gotcha covered with the best ingredients plus two awesome recipes. Read below!

Green Smoothies for Pregnancy | SimpleGreenSmoothies.com

“I’m pregnant!”

That has to be one of the most exciting moments for a woman. Knowing that your body is now creating a precious little human is enough to make your heart explode, but also knowing its health falls on your shoulders can make your stomach drop. We know all about it – Jen has a son, Jackson and a daughter, Clare. Life changes when you are growing a baby inside of you.

So, what can you do throughout your pregnancy to make sure your baby (and you) are as healthy as can be these next 40 weeks?

Drink green smoothies.

It’s as simple as that. When you are pregnant it is important that you are giving your body a wide variety of nutrients—proteins, folic acids, calcium, omega 3s, magnesium, tons of vitamins, and more! Green smoothies have an abundance of these nutrients that are helpful for your growing baby and you.

It’s recommend that you eat 4-6 small meals a day while pregnant (instead of the traditional 3 meals), so feel free to make one of those meals a green smoothie. To help you blend your best during your pregnancy, we have included the following here:

• a list of nutrients and foods to focus on
  • a list of things to avoid
  • two recipes we created specifically for you and your lil’ rawkstar

Essential nutrients for pregnancy

Folic Acid

Getting a good dose of folic acid is good for all sorts of healthy cell production. It is especially important during the first month of pregnancy.

Folic Acid is naturally found in the form folate which leafy greens (especially spinach and collard greens), strawberries, and beets are packed with.

Calcium

Calcium helps create healthy bones and a healthy heart, and your baby needs both! Aim for getting calcium in non-dairy forms.

Leafy greens, Almonds/Almond milk, Sesame Seeds, Flax Seeds

Fiber

Eating foods with fiber regularly will keep your regular during pregnancy, as well as lowering your blood pressure. The fiber is good for your baby, but even better for you!

Leafy greens (especially turnip greens and mustard greens), Raspberries, Cinnamon, Pear, Flax Seeds, Beets, Carrots, Oranges, Strawberries

Iron

Iron is one of the best ways to keep your blood healthy, and it also does a decent job boosting your immune system–both are necessary during pregnancy.

Leafy greens are PACKED with iron (especially spinach and swiss chard)

Protein

Protein is all about building your baby’s body, and your baby does a ton of growing during the 2nd and 3rd trimester.

Leafy greens (especially spinach, swiss chard, and mustard greens), Almonds/Almond milk, Hemp protein powder (does not have same affects as “hemp”)

Omega 3s

Our brains are very delicate and need to be maintained properly, but they especially need healthy development in the womb. Consuming omega 3s is one of the best ways to help your baby’s brain, and you should experiment with getting them in another way besides fish.

Chia seeds, Flax seeds, Walnuts

Magnesium

Magnesium is necessary for tissue growth and repair, and both your bodies’ tissues are working overtime during your term.

Leafy greens (especially spinach and swiss chard), Coconut water

Potassium

Potassium does a variety of things for your body: maintains electrolyte balance, sends nerve impulses, helps muscles to contract, and helps to capitalize on potential energy from fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. Who doesn’t need an energy boost when pregnant?

Leafy greens (especially spinach and swiss chard), Beets, Carrots, Banana, Avocado, Coconut water

Vitamin B6

Many B vitamins are helpful during pregnancy, but vitamin B6 is one of our favorites! The two most important things it does for your baby are creating new red blood cells and antibodies, and aiding in healthy brain development.

Leafy greens (especially spinach and turnip greens), banana, avocado, pineapple, cantaloupe

What to avoid when pregnant:

Heavy doses of herbs
Cilantro is a heavy metal cleanser. Parsley can cause gestation issues. You don’t have to avoid herbs all together, just don’t make them a staple in your diet.

Unwashed fruits and veggies
There can be harmful pesticides and chemicals on fruit that hasn’t been properly washed.

Excess caffeine
This isn’t normally a problem with green smoothies, unless you are using green tea as a liquid base. Use it in moderation.

Spiked green smoothies
We haven’t heard of anyone spiking their green smoothies with alcohol yet, but pregnancy probably isn’t the time to start.

One quick word of caution! Green smoothies and eating healthy are great things to do while pregnant, but avoid doing a full-blown cleanse or detox (drastic changes in eating habits can cause a detox, too). If your body begins to detox while pregnant, then these nasty toxins will leave your body any way possible–including through the placenta and into your baby. Doing a body cleanse is a great thing to do, but just make sure to do it when your baby isn’t dependent upon you to nourish it.

Baby Booster Green Smoothie Recipes

Now, here’s what you’ve all been waiting for! These two green smoothie recipes are PACKED with the essential nutrients we discussed above. Cheers to you and your baby’s health!

Baby Brain Booster Green Smoothie

• Yield: 2 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks

• 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 2 cups coconut water (unsweetened)
  • 1 banana*
  • 1 cup pineapple*
  • 1 cup carrots (uncooked)
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds

1. Blend spinach and coconut water
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth

*Freeze at least one of these fruits to make the smoothie cold.

Baby Body Booster Green Smoothie

• Yield: 2 1x
  • Category: Breakfast, Drinks

• 2 cups swiss chard
  • 2 cups almond milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 banana*
  • 1 cup raspberries*
  • 1 cup strawberries*
  • 12 tbsp flaxseed powder

1. Blend swiss chard and almond milk
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth

*Freeze at least one of these fruits to make the smoothie cold.

Congratulations! We wish you a healthy pregnancy and many special moments ahead. We would love to share pic of you drinking a green smoothie while pregnant. If you have any you would like to share with us, send us an email at: hello(at)simplegreensmoothies.com.

Transform your health with tasty recipes + meal plans that fuel your body so you're able to go after your passions no matter what stage of life you're in.

Plant-Powered Meal Planner
learn more

7-DAY WINTER RESET

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. nicky

March 22nd, 2014 at 12:50 am

Hi, I haven’t seen anything against or for coconut water while pregnant…:( I am really missing it!

2. Renu Chawla

March 22nd, 2014 at 5:05 am

Hi..I dono if m suppose to comment on this..but I would like to share… In India…having coconut & coconut water during pregnancy is considered a must in many families..

3. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 24th, 2014 at 9:36 am

Hi Nicky!
    Our research points similarly to what Renu said. It seems to be pretty helpful for pregnancy, but it’s not really specific to trimesters. Keep in mind that we aren’t doctors or nutritionists, and we’d recommend consulting with them first if you are worried about intake of coconut products.

4. Diana

March 25th, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Could I heat up the fruit portion of the smoothie and then cool it to drink? I’m allergic to raw fruit, can only consume cooked fruit. ..

5. SGS Rawkstar Dan

March 27th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

That’s a great question… We have never tried, nor are we sure of what it will do to the smoothie. We’ll have to research that one. Let us know if you find anything out, Diana!

6. Holly

March 1st, 2015 at 10:49 am

Do you eat organic? My sister in law was allergic to lots of things, and refused to fall into the organic hype (she thought it was just an expensive fad or something, didn’t see the point). I eat organic, and do detoxes and have good health knowledge, as ive turned my own health around from years of researching and trial, so i talked to her about it lots. It took years, but she finally opened up to it. Mostly because she accidentally touched an organic banana one day, and didn’t have a reaction (normally just them does it). She now thinks her allergy was to non-organic produce, as they are covered in chemicals, waxes, pesticides, fungicides, herbicides. Now she can eat them. So just curious.

7. Holly

March 1st, 2015 at 10:53 am

*normally just touching them does it

8. Renai

April 10th, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Hi, I love green smoothies but with my morning sickness I can not even put one to my mouth. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

9. SGS Rawkstar Dan

April 12th, 2014 at 9:10 am

Hey Renai!
    Could you send us an email through our contact page so Jadah and/or Jen could give you some feedback? I may not be the best person to answer… ha ha.

10. Holly

March 1st, 2015 at 10:41 am

Having a girl? 🙂 Maybe it’s a wives tale, but I’ve heard morning sickness is worse with baby girls. But it might also be if you’re really unhealthy. My first pregnancy (lost) was a girl, but i had smoked for years, quit when i learned pregnant, but too late by then to be healthy. I also ate crap usually, fast food, burgers, pizza, doritos, soda, coffee… I had the worst mo r ning sickness ever, threw up almost everything. The doctor recommended (get this…from a DOCTOR) Gatorade!!! That’s right, high fructose corn syrup with food coloring. I didn’t know any better at the time, was only 16, so I did it. Overall unhealthy, and not holding down solids, i lost the baby. Fast forward 25 years, I’ve become a healthy vegetarian, mostly vegan, and aspiring 80% raw foodist. I love hot soup, so hard to be totally raw. 😉 i have 2 juicers, a vitamix, have done juice fasts with my husband, definitely don’t smoke, do detoxes, enemas, feel great!!! I am pregnant now with a boy. I’m now 4.5 months, and didn’t have hardly any morning sickness! Just the occasional gag reflex when i saw something gross, and a few mornings where i nibbled crackers before getting out of bed. (Organic crackers.) my other favorite thing that may have helped was each morning i made fresh organic ginger, lemon, honey tea. Using a microplane, i grated about 1 inch of fresh ginger root into a 2 cup glass pyrex, then squeezed a small lemon (or half a large lemon), and added one Tablespoon of raw organic honey. Then filled with 2 cups boiling water, and let steep for 5 minutes. Then using a mesh strainer, I’d pour/strain it into my travel mug. I’d drink whatever didn’t fit right away. Sooooo good, even when you’re not pregnant. Oh yea, snd if i had fresh turmeric, i would grate some of that in the brew too. Only about 1/2 inch though, it’s got a strong earthy taste.

11. Hanna

April 6th, 2015 at 6:02 am

Wow, you sound like you really take your health seriously these days, that’s awesome! Especially since it sounds like you didn’t come from a background where nutrition was very important. Big kudos!

I’d just like to clear up a myth in the making… morning sickness isn’t affected by either the gender of the baby, and the health of the mother. I should know, I’ve been a naturopathic doctor for 11 years and am pregnant for the fourth time (we lost our first at 10 weeks). I run marathons (well, half marathons) and am a 95% organic pescetarian (that is to say, I’m pretty healthy). I have two healthy sons born two years apart, with my first little guy, I had no morning sickness, no acid, slept well and ran races into my 8th month. I really thought I was pretty awesome at being pregnant!

With my second son, I ended up being so sick that I was hospitalized for almost 2 weeks because I was so dehydrated. Even after I was released from the hospital, I had to have I.V. fluids every other day (this is where having my own medical clinic was a real benefit!). I was also exhausted ALWAYS. Both boys were born big and healthy, one week over term.

This time around, I’m having a girl and my experience has been right down the middle, sick but not hospital sick, tired but not unable to cope… just definitely no running! My point is that I would like to dispel the idea that if you’re healthy, you’re not going to have any morning sickness (or that morning sickness could indicate a lack of health).

Anyways, sorry about the rant, I am eager to defend this point because pregnant moms can feel enough guilt about what they’re doing or not doing, no point adding any more over a misunderstanding.

Also, if your doctor starts recommending Gatorade, come see a naturopath! 🙂

12. Karen

May 16th, 2014 at 6:10 pm

This may be a dumb question, but is there any reason someone who is not pregnant or a man wouldn’t want to drink these smoothies?
    Love all the other recipes and got excited to find a couple we haven’t tried yet. Thinking that if they are safe for expectant moms they would be good for anyone, but just wanted to check before subjecting my husband to one of these recipes.

13. SGS Rawkstar Dan

May 19th, 2014 at 9:16 am

Hi Karen!
    Great question! Men and non-pregnant women can drink these, too!

14. EArellano

May 22nd, 2014 at 9:38 am

Flax seed is not recommended while pregnant or nursing.

15. Sarah

June 28th, 2014 at 11:35 am

I just researched this and found that this additional information from livestrong: Flaxseed is rich in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, an essential nutrient especially important during the development of your child. However, flaxseed also contains lignans, chemicals that can mimic the actions of estrogen in your body. Normal levels of flaxseed in the diet are thought to be safe during pregnancy, but avoid taking supplements containing flaxseed lignans or eating abnormally large amounts of flaxseed.

16. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

June 28th, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for the tips, Sarah! 🙂

17. Max

July 22nd, 2014 at 6:39 pm

With this being my first pregnancy and morning sickness really affecting my appetite, I was concerned about how I would ever get all the proper nutrients I need to grow a healthy baby. I must say, I was thrilled when I stumbled upon your site..these green smoothies recipes are incredible! I now enjoy a smoothie every morning and can rest assured. I’ve even created one of my own that includes a mixture of spinach, kale, banana and a bit of mango with either almond milk or orange juice. Thank you soooo much!

18. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 23rd, 2014 at 5:59 am

Wonderful! All the bet to you in your journey to parenthood.

19. Jeramie

September 5th, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Hi, I have Kale daily and sometimes Beet greens. Can a pregnant woman overdose on Kale or Beet Greens while pregnant because of the vitamin A content? Thanks!

20. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 23rd, 2014 at 6:46 pm

That is a great question, Jeramie. I would suggest asking your healthcare provider, since they will know you personally.

We do suggest rotating your greens each time you buy leafy green, try a different option each time. 🙂 https://simplegreensmoothies.com/rotate-your-greens

21. Mariko

February 9th, 2015 at 9:02 pm

I was wondering if it’s ok to make smoothies the night before to consume in the morning while pregnant. I know that for juicing it needs to be consumed immediately for concerns about listeria. Does this apply to smoothies as well?
    Thank you!

22. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

February 10th, 2015 at 10:01 am

Hi Mariko.

Congratulations! Thanks for reaching out to us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionist we would suggest speaking to your GP to confirm that green smoothies are best for you during your personal pregnancy. Cheers! 🙂

23. sara

September 23rd, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Any suggestions for substitutes for bananas? My body doesn’t process bananas well.

24. SGS Rawkstar

September 24th, 2015 at 5:04 am

Hi Sara,

Not a fan of bananas, no worries, we’ve got you covered! If you’re allergic to bananas (or just can’t stand the taste), some great banana substitutes are:

-Mango
    -Papaya
    -Pear
    -Chia seeds
    -Fresh dates
    -Nut Butters
    -Unsweetened applesauce
    -Avocado (won’t add the sweetness, but will definitely add the thick and creamy texture)

25. Rebecca

October 12th, 2015 at 12:37 am

Hi – thanks for these! I came looking for pregnancy smoothie recipes when I saw that I was meant to steer clear from a couple of my staples – flaxseeds and pineapple – whilst pregnant. Confused!

26. SGS Rawkstar

October 12th, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for reaching out! We’ve worked with our nutritionist to develop smoothie recipes to provide your body with the best health benefits throughout your pregnancy. But it’s important to listen to your doctor!! Want to substitute chia seeds + flaxseeds for another option your doctor gave you the ok for?

Swap flaxseeds for another healthy fat…

And swap chia seeds for another protein option…

Hope this helps!

27. Emm

December 30th, 2015 at 10:57 am

This is helpful information. I’ll make sure to talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment, especially whether or not it’s okay to make it the night before as another person asked.

Also, just wanted to clarify for readers that I think you meant that hemp protein powder (and other hemp products such as seed and oil) does not have same effects as “marijuana.”

28. SGS Rawkstar

December 30th, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Hi Emm,

Thanks for reaching out. Our recipes will keep in your refrigerator for up to two days. Know you will be storing your green smoothie, add a small amount of lemon juice to help preserve their green goodness.

Cheers to health, happiness, + a wonderful pregnancy.

29. Millen

January 23rd, 2016 at 6:32 am

Hi there, this is my first pregnancy and I am having trouble with taking my prenatal vitamins, I even got the syrup version but I still get sick. This is my 11th week and I was wondering if I could substitute it for smoothies?
    Please any advice is appreciated as I am a little worried whether I am hurting the baby or even myself.

30. SGS Rawkstar

January 26th, 2016 at 4:31 am

Hi Millen,

Congratulations on your pregnancy. The first few weeks and pre-natal vitamins can definitely be tough on your stomach. We’re green smoothie lovin’ rawkstars all right, but we’re not doctors or nutritionists. We suggest you talk with your doctor about any health concerns— I’m sure they can help you decide what is best for you and your body.

Cheers to health + happiness!

31. Karla

March 7th, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Hi,

I am pregnant and I just want to know if it is okay and SAFE to have a green smoothie every day. I am 10 weeks now and I just want to make sure it is safe. I do not like eating veggies so I would rather just drink them.

usually my smoothie consists of:
    -2 cups of spinach
    -1 cup of blueberries
    -1/2 cup of cherries

then I substitute blueberries for raspberries.

I have been doing this for a month and usually 6 days out of the week. Lately, I have been feeling sick. I do eat protein with the smoothies. They are not the only thing I consume.

Thanks.

32. SGS Rawkstar

March 7th, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Hi Karla,

Thanks for reaching out. Green smoothies are a great way to fuel your body during pregnancy, especially when morning sickness is limiting your food choices. Have concerns? We suggest reaching out to your OBGYN to ensure our recipes are the right choice for you + baby!

Cheers 🙂

33. Gina

March 14th, 2016 at 8:38 am

Hi Karla!
    Try adding a little shredded ginger to your smoothies to ease nausea. Good luck!

34. SGS Rawkstar

March 14th, 2016 at 11:00 am

Great tip, Gina! 🙂

35. Lucy

March 18th, 2016 at 5:13 am

Hi! I was just wondering, what other greens can I rotate my smoothes with? I’ve just been rotating kale and spinach. Thanks x

36. SGS Rawkstar

March 18th, 2016 at 7:38 am

Hi Lucy,

We love switching up our recipes with different leafy greens!! Check out our favorites here…

37. Elizabeth

March 22nd, 2016 at 4:11 pm

I just wanted to let you know instead of coconut milk you can do flaxseed milk and it will help with the pesky pregnancy constipation…. my obstetrician recommends it! You can also do ground flaxseed about two table spoons in a shake a day should help keep things moving he says 🙂 he also specializes in nutrition 🙂

38. SGS Rawkstar

March 23rd, 2016 at 8:17 am

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for the great tip! 🙂

1 2 3

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25