FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS!  |  Experience our plant-powered meal plans, health challenges & positive support.

NEW YOU IN 30 DAYS! Plant-powered meal plans, challenges & support.

FREEZER SMOOTHIE PACKS ON A BUDGET
#1 GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE OF ALL TIME
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENt SMOOTHIE
Trending Recipes

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos.
I transformed my family's health with a plant-powered diet while broke and without health insurance. Since then, I've helped 1 million+ families do it too!

more about me )

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER + SMOOTHIES!
GET MY
RECIPE BOOKS

How to clean blender quick

Did you know, we rarely clean our blenders? Sure, we always rinse them right after we blend… yet cleaning them isn’t always necessary.

A simple rinse keeps them pretty clean throughout the week. Yet sometimes they do need some extra love—soap is a good way to do that. And that’s when we let the blender do the cleaning (just like in the video below).

3 Simple steps to clean you blender

If you’ve been wondering how to clean blender without too much work, I’ve got the solution for you. Here’s three quick steps that I do at least once a week to keep my awesome blender looking new.

Step 1: Add Soap + Hot Water

Fill up your blender about ½ way with warm water and a quick squirt of liquid soap.

Step 2: Blend

Put your lid on the blender (don’t forget to do this!) and place onto base. Turn your machine on and let ‘er rip for a few seconds and watch the magic happen.

Step 3: Rinse

Rinse the soapy, foamy water after you’re done blending so you can see your pitcher sparkle (and avoid that extra “clean” taste next time you blend)!

FOGGY FILM? DEEP CLEAN TIME!

Does your blender need some extra elbow grease to make her shine again?

If you notice a foggy film appearing on your blender pitcher (this can happen on most plastic blenders), simply give it a gentle scrub with a sponge, warm water, and a dab of baking soda. It should clear up in no time!

Jen’s Favorite Vitamix never gets the foggy film on it, and she’s wondering if it’s because she uses coconut oil in most of her green smoothies. Anyone else feel the same way?

How do you keep your blender sparkling?

There’s so many way to clean your blender. I’d love to hear how you do it (and how often!).

Transform your health with tasty recipes, meal plans + challenges.

Meal Planner
FREE 30-DAY TRIAL

THE PLANT-POWERED

COMMENTS

1. Lechuga says:

I like your technique because IT SAVES WATER!
    We are all organic, pro-health water but we waste so much water. One day we will miss it.

2. Jana says:

I have a Vitamix that I adore. I have had it for a year now and I have very hard water where I live. Everything gets crusted with minerals constantly. But not my Vitamix! I clean it like this daily but I always rinse it and then towel dry it.

If I didn’t, it would be coated with lime quickly. My Nutribullet got that way very quickly as I did air dry it. I couldn’t get rid of the mineral buildup with anything!
    I gave my NB to my son anyway, but I don’t want my beautiful (6300) VM getting ugly like that. I don’t use my blender to make my coffee/butter/coconut oil mix, I use a little immersion attachment for my hand mixer. Works just fine.
    For those of you that are curious:

Enjoy!!

3. Lisa says:

My vitamix container got really bad. I filled it with vinegar and let it soak for a couple of days. Then I used baking soda and scrubbed with a sponge and it really cleared it up. I also read on the Vitamix website that you should always dry it out with a towel after cleaning and don’t let it air dry. Since I have been doing that it has stayed clearer and less fog build up.

4. katie says:

I wonder if the fog problem is due to using citrus fruits, like lemons, limes, grapefruits, etc. I use Young Living Essential Oils and only use the citrus oils in a glass container b/c they will make a plastic cup look cloudy from stripping a layer of the plastic off. Not something you want to drink! Just a thought…

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Not sure, Katie what causes it. Lisa (the comment above) has some great tips. 🙂

5. Linda says:

The only thing I’ve found to work to remove the cloudy film from my Nutribullet cup is to use soapy hot water and spin it (to clean the blades), and then add some bleach, (Yes, bleach) to the cup and let that sit in the cup for a few hours or overnight. It works like a charm… I just hope it’s safe… (??)

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Not sure you want to use bleach on items that you will use to drink out of. I would stick to baking powder and vinegar if needed.

6. Kelly says:

I use an immersion blender for my bulletproof coffee….and I add a heaping teaspoon of turmeric paste to make what I call a “Golden Latte”….OMGOODNESS! Who knew butter and oil in your coffee could be so wondeful?!?

7. Valerie says:

I would love a recipe for the homemade LaraBars you mentioned…they can get expensive!

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Yes, they can.

I will ask Jen and get back to you. Maybe we can do a new post on all things Jen’s recipes. 🙂 She’s got some good ones.

8. jothi says:

I have a omega juicer that got cloudy , I make alot of fresh pineapple juice, when I started that, it started clouding up. (could it be the same with the Vitamix , mine is new and hasn’t clouded up yet.) I’m going to try some coconut oil with baking powder to clean it. Thanks for the great tip. Jothi

9. Vikky says:

I’ve tried all kinds of ways to get rid of that foggy film on my Vitamix and it is still there. I wash it every time I use it with water and dish soap and let it run at least a minute. I have scrubbed it with a non scratch scrubbing pad and still can’t get that fog off. What is going on?

10. Jody says:

I put my vitamix in the dish washer at least once a week, it gets really clean.

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hey Jody,

Thanks for the comment. I would suggest double checking on Vitamix’s website, not all Vitamix’s are dishwasher safe.

11. So simple, so genius! Thanks 🙂

12. Stephen Delach says:

Water – dash of Cascade-run on high 30 sec and rinse well

13. Trish says:

Cleaning the blender this way was a MAJOR selling point for me in deciding to buy a Vitamix. It’s so quick and when the water gets hot after blending I use the water to get rid of all that gunk that sticks to the blender cap.

14. Melanie G says:

I use coconut oil in my smoothies everyday and my vitamix is cloudy. Thanks for the tip on cleaning it up 🙂

15. JHanna says:

I am with Eleanor i want to know more about your coffee with butter and coconut oil 🙂

1 2 3

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE