These tasty smoothies for weight loss include low-calorie green smoothies and filling protein powder blends to burn fat and supercharge your metabolism. I’ve used scientifically-proven ingredients in each smoothie recipe to decrease body fat and reveal a healthier and leaner body.
Sign up for my Smoothie Challenge to get a comprehensive smoothie plan, weekly grocery lists and tasty recipes that are low in calories and get you results, naturally. If you wanna go even farther, try our 21-Day Cleanse with daily smoothies and plant-based snacks and meals.
Table of Contents
Why Smoothies Help You Lose Weight
I started drinking smoothies for weight loss when I was in my 30s. I had two toddlers and was having a hard time losing the last 10 pounds after my second kid. Didn’t help that I was stress eating after a cross-country move and always felt too tired to work out. Something had to change.
I swapped my go-to breakfast (plain bagel with strawberry cream cheese) for a weight loss smoothie loaded with vitamins, hydration and fiber. My goal was to replace a bad habit with good one— and it worked. The energy boost from the natural sugars and minerals was almost immediate and the weight loss started that weekend. No joke.
- Fiber keeps you full: Blend a variety of fruits (banana, strawberries, oranges) and leafy greens (spinach, kale, chard) together to create a high fiber drink that’ll keep you full and satisfied.
- Simple portion control: Measure out the ingredients you add to the blender to make portion control easy.
- Proper hydration curbs false hunger cues: Use 1 cup of liquid (almond milk, water, coconut water) to hydrate your cells, curb hunger and help your body function properly.
- Ideal meal replacement: Using a combination of plant-based protein (chia seeds, protein powder, etc) and healthy fats (superfoods, nut butter, coconut milk) to create an ideal meal replacement.
- Burns fat: Use ingredients that are packed with nutrients and scientifically proven to burn fat.
I started having one of these healthy smoothies for breakfast every day. I was never hungry thanks to all the fiber. It took five minutes a day. And I loved how it tasted. I became obsessed with smoothies (that’s what led to me becoming a food blogger). Now I get to teach you how to blend a smoothie to achieve your weight loss goals.
10 Fat-Burning Smoothie Recipes for Weight Loss
These fat-burning smoothies are low-calorie recipes that’ll nourish your body while boosting the metabolism. I can’t wait for you to see just how tasty and simple weight loss can be. These fat-burning smoothies are a great place to start if you want to eat more plants and nourish your body from within. Which one will you blend first?!
Meal Replacement Smoothie
343 calories | 10 g protein
This high-protein, high-fiber smoothie has an unexpected combination of oats, almond butter, banana and low-sugar blueberries to keep you full for a very long time. This is truly a filling and satisfying weight loss meal replacement on the go!
Creamy Banana Smoothie
364 calories | 18 g protein
Is it a dessert or a smoothie? This creamy, banana smoothie is healthy, tasty and packed with protein thanks to the raw cashews and homemade cashew milk.
Best Green Smoothie
203 calories | 6 g fiber
This is the best green smoothie on the internet (and for good reason). Our tropical treat is infused with spinach, yet no one can taste it— including our kids. Add a scoop of plant-based protein powder and you’ve got the tastiest weight loss smoothie.
155 calories | 9 g fiber
Beets are one of the best ingredients to blend when dealing with inflammation, which keeps our bodies from reaching their full potential. Fight inflammation head-on with this citrus-packed smoothie recipe.
Peanut Butter Smoothie
497 calories | 14 g protein
Plant-based nutrition is all about combining nutrients with flavors that make you wanna keep consuming it. This yummy chocolate-filled smoothie that uses frozen bananas has natural energy and helps burn fat, too.
Vanilla Yogurt Smoothie
371 calories | 26 g protein
If flavor is your jam, this tart vanilla smoothie is what is missing in your life. Pair it with frozen peaches, which are low in sugar and you’ve got yourself a high-protein, probiotic smoothie for breakfast.
Apple Celery Smoothie
275 calories | 19 g fiber
The green smoothie is a what you’d find celebs sipping at a 5-star wellness resort in Costa Rica. Fresh squeezed lemon juice, low-sugar green apples and fresh ginger root are all included for weight-loss benefits.
PINEAPPLE GINGER SMOOTHIE
263 calories | 9 g protein
If Venus Williams can drink this, we can too. If stronger and leaner is on your health goals, then sip this fresh ginger smoothie blended with naturally sweet pineapple.
Vanilla Matcha Smoothie
370 calories | 17 g protein
This high-protein (thanks to the addition of raw cashews), fat-burning, energy-boosting smoothie will satisfy your sweet tooth and can all be made in under 5 minutes.
What to Put in Smoothies for Weight Loss
Focus on blending ingredients that are scientifically proven to burn fat and boost metabolism, which leads to weight loss. It’s important that the calories we consume are quality calories, especially if we’re trying to lose weight, gain muscle, or just improve our overall health.
ingredients proven to burn belly fat
- Soluble fiber: Soluble fiber, found in fruits, vegetables, oats and legumes, absorbs water and forms a gel that helps slow down food as it passes through your digestive system. This helps keep you full, so you naturally eat less. Plus.
- High-protein: Observational studies show that people who eat more protein tend to have less abdominal fat than those who eat a lower protein diet. Adding a plant-based protein powder or unsweetened greek yogurt to your smoothies can be a great way to do this. If you’re doing HIIT workouts, using smoothies as a post-workout protein shake is highly effective in burning belly fat and promoting muscle recovery.
- Low-sugar foods: Using fruit as your natural sweeter is a great way to cut down on sugar (and avoid the highly processed refined sugars which contribute to belly fat). Using a combination of natural sugars and high fiber foods helps stabilize your blood sugar levels, which helps with weigh control.
- Green tea: Using chilled green tea as your smoothie base can help boost your metabolism and energy levels, thanks to the natural caffeine and antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate. According to one 10-year study, people who drink green tea regularly have nearly 20 percent less body fat than those who don’t. And EGCG, the unique ingredient in green tea, can deactivate the genetic triggers for diabetes and obesity.
ingredients to avoid when trying to lose weight
- Fruit juice: Avoid using any kinds of fruit juice in your smoothie because it adds extra sugars without the nutrients found in whole fruits. It’s much better to blend an apple, than to add apple juice to your smoothie wen trying to lose weight.
- Dairy: Milk, yogurt, protein powders that contain dairy can cause inflammation in the body… making it harder to lose weight and burn fat. We avoid these in all of our recipe below.
- Added sweeteners: Avoid honey, maple syrup, sugar, monk fruit, and stevia in your smoothies because they are high in calories and low in nutrients. Plus they can spike your blood sugar levels and train your taste buds to crave high sugar foods throughout the day.
Ingredient Combinations to Promote Weight Loss
According to studies, there’s certain food combinations that can help burn belly fat and lead to overall weight loss. We use these combinations in our healthy smoothie recipes to get the best weight loss results.
- Green apple and nut butter: Apples are chock-full of fiber, a nutrient that can help reduce visceral fat, paired with a healthy dose of nut butter can keep you feel full and aid in vitamin absorption.
- Avocados and spinach: This leafy green that can help you slim down by filling you up and giving you a healthy dose of vitamins K and A.
- Green tea and grapefruit: Blend grapefruit into your smoothie along with a chilled green tea, which contains pectin and polyphenols. Both of which have been proven to help people feel fuller and lose weight, according to a study published in Journal of Medical Food.
- Cacao and almonds: Packed with flavanols, cacao can prevent people from gaining weight, according to a study published in BMJ, and may increase energy expenditure.
- Oats and blueberries: Oats are high in fiber, helping you stay full. Toss in some berries and it’s a power combo! A study out of the University of Michigan found that rats who had blueberry powder mixed into their meals had less abdominal fat than rats on a berry-free diet after 90 days.
Weight Loss Smoothie Recipes FAQs
Swapping a meal for a smoothie can be a great way to lose weight. You’ll want to make sure your smoothie is packed with fiber, low in sugar and under 500 calories to help with portion control. Don’t add any sugars or sweeteners and choose a liquid base that is unsweetened. To keep you full, make sure your smoothie has healthy fats and protein to make it a complete meal replacement.
Look for a smoothie recipe that contains grapefruit and green tea to help burn fat. My fat-burning smoothie has these specific ingredients that boost the metabolism, plus healthy fats that are necessary for your body to break down carbs and protein.
A good smoothie with protein, healthy fat and whole-food carbs is a great combo for a healthy snack or meal that can promote weight loss. These weight loss smoothies contain a variety of spinach, mint, celery, green tea, grapefruit, pineapple and avocado.
Look for grapefruit, pineapple, mint, celery, leafy greens and herbs to help burn fat, especially around the belly. Try blending then together into a delicious smoothie to consume them easily and effectively.
The best way to get weight loss results is being consistent— and a daily meal replacement smoothie is perfect for that. Swap you typical breakfast for a fat burning smoothie to kick start your weight loss goals. This high fiber low sugar recipe is truly a healthy smoothie in 5 minutes or less.
Juicing and blending can both help with weight loss, yet only one is sustainable for the long run: smoothies. We believe committing to drinking 1-2 fat burning smoothies as a meal replacements is the most effective way to hit your weigh loss goals and maintain them for life.
Fat Burning Smoothie for Weight Loss
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ cup brewed green tea cooled
- ½ grapefruit peeled and seeded
- 1 cup pineapple frozen
- ¼ avocado
- dash cayenne pepper optional
- Place spinach, mint, celery and green tea into blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Blend again. Best when served chilled.
- The pith and peel of the grapefruit are extremely bitter but are beneficial in small amounts. To lessen the bitterness of the grapefruit, remove the fruit from the inner membranes as well as peel before using.
- Drink 1-2 smoothies a day as meal replacements to get the weight loss benefits you’re looking for.
- Adding homemade protein powder is a great way to add high-quality protein that won’t affect the delicious taste of the smoothie.
I was surprised how much I like this smoothie. It has become part of my morning routine. It’s a good, refreshing smoothie.
What can I substitute the grapefruit with? I can’t use because of blood pressure meds.
Hey Melanie – great question! Since we’re talking about interactions with medications, I can’t recommend replacing with another citrus fruit, but you can def omit the grapefruit altogether. There may be a different smoothie that’s great for weight loss that you could try. How do you feel about chocolate? Chocolate Weight Loss Smoothie
Just tried this smoothie. It was wonderful! Definitely gave me a boost to start my day.
I swapped the celery for cucumber and added 3/4 tbs of milled chai seeds and 1/2 tbs of milled flaxseed, almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts &CoQ10.
I like it, except for the bitterness from the grapefruit (i’ll try and use just the segments next time) and I don’t like mint. Can I swap the mint for another herb or reduce it?
That sounds delish! Def try just the grapefruit segments as the pith is bitter, however its full of fiber and vitamin C so it can be a balancing act. As for a mint swap you can def try it’s cousin basil. You could also try one of many other varieties of mint, such as spearmint, apple mint or pineapple mint. Let us know which is your fav!
Wow just tried it this morning and it is super good! Added 1/2 tbs of chia seeds and of linseeds and 1/2 tbs of coconut oil! Feels like I am at the beach this morning! Thank you
You need to soak the linseed overnight otherwise you will damage your intestine’s membrane in the long run.
I found these page educative for someone like me.
I never leave reviews on anything but I really feel like I needed to on this! I really wasn’t sure what it would taste like and must admit, I was pretty apprehensive, however I was absolutely blown away! It was delicious!! Slightly bitter from the grapefruit (I assume) but not in a bad way! It tasted sooo refreshing and filled me up right through until the evening (in my job, I very often skip lunch so tried this as a replacement), and curbed my snacking habits! Now I’ll just give it a few weeks to see how it aids me in my weight loss journey! Thank you so much for this lovely recipe!
I call that SUCCESS! Way to try it even if you weren’t sure about it!
I really want to try this recipe however I am allergic to avocados! Do you have any suggestions on a healthy fat alternative? I love my healthy fats and don’t want to lose them completely! Thank you!
So sorry you’re allergic avocados, however you can def replace it with any other healthy fat such as coconut oil, cashews, flaxseeds, Chia seeds, and olive oil.
Hi what can I use instead of pineapple as I’m allergic to it
Hey Angela, That’s a great question! I would recommend oranges, mangos or peaches (depending on the smoothie). For the Fat Burning Smoothie, I think I’d go with oranges if you like a lot of citrus or peaches if you want to limit the extra citrus. We have a great Rawkstar Substitution Guide that makes amazing recommendations for these exact situations. Check it out —-> Rawkstar Substitution Guide
This smoothie is great ,I also add in a dash of ceylon cinnamon for extra fat burn boost.
Excited to begin. However, can I make alot and store for a few days or does it need to be blended daily?
YAY! If you’re going to blend them ahead of time, I’d def recommend freezing them. The max I keep mine in the fridge is a day.
This looks really good but I don’t like mint or pineapple are there any replacements.
Super duper tantalizing… Tempting treats for the tastebuds without iota of guilt
Now the three star not you’re fault I would try it but where I am the ingredients are to expensive I will try it if I can though thank you
Why would you even leave a review if you didn’t even attempt to make it or try it? Please delete, this is completely unfair to the OP.
The reviews is for the recommended smoothie recipe. Not because you find the ingredients too expensive. It’s not fair to the editor.
Silly review, which should be deleted. The title is not “A Cheap Fat Burning Smoothy”
I’ve tried about 15 different smoothie recipes on here so far, but this is the one I keep coming back to. It is so good!
I love finding a reliable fave! Glad you found yours!
Hi, can I just have the smoothies and no solid food meals?
The most smoothies we recommend in a day is two and that is combined with a couple of nutritional snacks and a healthy meal.
Anything I can substitute grapefruit with? Can’t take with high blood pressure meds, even though I love them.
Melanie, I think I’d go with oranges if you like a lot of citrus or peaches if you want to limit the extra citrus. We have a great Rawkstar Substitution Guide that makes amazing recommendations for these exact situations. Check it out —-> Rawkstar Substitution Guide. Def check with your health care provider if you have any questions.
Love the smoothie! It’s really a life saver! Will definitely make it again.
The Nutrition label listed below is that for one serving?
Yes, this recipe and nutrition info is written for 1 – 16 oz serving. Great question!
How many shakes do I need to have per day? Do I just choose one from the recipes and have one in the morning, or is this intended for multiple times per day?
We think 1 smoothie per day is a great habit, Hailee. At most, we replace two meals per day with green meal replacement smoothies – yet that’s during a shorter period of cleansing. Regular plant forward meals for your other two meals are best when rawkin a 1 green smoothie a day habit. 🙂
Can you replace water with almond milk
Great question Shari! You can def swap in some almond milk here. Yet, please be aware it will change things like the calorie and healthy fat content. The result will be a slightly thicker, ‘smoother’ smoothie.