7-DAY RESET IS HERE
TOP WINTER RECIPES
PLANT-BASED GUIDEBOOK

Sign up now to get my fav green smoothie recipes, shopping list and access to our smoothie support group.

year!

PLANT BASED MEAL PLANNER

Homemade Fire Cider Recipe

Whenever I have a cold or a tickle in my throat, I take shots of fire cider. I like to make my own version of a fire cider recipe to save money. (Warning: this stuff is hardcore and not for the faint of heart. Yet it’s become my go-to tonic to kick a cold quick.)

If you’re looking for something a bit calmer that you can sip on throughout the day, try this DIY hot tea. I like to have both on hand at all times.

In order to kick intense colds and sickness from your body, you’ve got to use some of the most intense, natural foods out there. This recipe features: ginger root, horseradish root, onion, garlic cloves, jalapeño peppers, lemon, and apple cider vinegar. Now do you see why it’s also called “Fire Cider Recipe”?!

Fire Cider Recipe for DIY natural cold remedy | Simple Green Smoothies

Make your own Fire Cider

To make this DIY recipe, start by chopping up all the raw ingredients. (Scroll all the way down for the complete list with amounts). Place them in a quart-sized mason jar, and fill it the rest of the way up with apple cider vinegar. Cover it with an airtight lid, shake it, and store it in a dark place for at least a month.

I like to shake my concoction every few days to make sure the mixture is… uhh…  fermenting nicely.

diy natural cold remedy for home is Fire Cider Recipe | Simple Green Smoothies

After a month has gone by, it’s time to pour the contents out while using a strainer or a sieve to catch the big clumps. This refined mixture is the final product, and is ready to be used and stored in the refrigerator.

Fire Cider Recipe with diy natural cold remedy with strainer | Simple Green Smoothies

This is a powerful and all-natural mixture that should not be taken lightly! Start with a small dose when you first use it—maybe a tablespoon or so. Take one or two small doses a day until you feel like you’re ready for a full shot glass. Eventually, your body will adjust to the taste and you’ll be able to down it like a pro!

Aside from rest, tea and drinking lots of water, a fire cider recipe is the main thing I use to kick a cold. It really works!

Homemade Fire Cider Recipe

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 25 servings 1x
  • Category: natural healing
  • Method: fermentation
  • Cuisine: healthy

Tickly throat? Cough? Congestion? Any time I feel a cold coming on, I start taking shots of my homemade Fire Cider recipe that’ll help a cough and cold naturally and quickly.

• 1/2 cup fresh ginger root (grated)
  • 1/2 cup fresh horseradish root (grated)
  • 1 onion (chopped)
  • 10 garlic cloves (crushed or chopped)
  • 2 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
  • 1 lemon (zest and juice)
  • Apple cider vinegar

1. Dice, peel and chop all ingredients into small pieces and toss into a bowl. (If you’ve never grated fresh horseradish, it can be intense!)
  2. Mix it all together and scoop into a quart-sized mason jar.
  3. Pour apple cider vinegar on top of all ingredients until completely submerged.
  4. Cover with an airtight lid. (You can place a piece of parchment paper under the lid to keep the vinegar from touching the metal, or use a plastic lid if you have one.)
  5. Shake well.
  6. Store in a dark, cool place for a month (like the back of a pantry) and shake every few days.
  7. After a month, pour contents through a sieve to separate the liquid from the solids.
  8. Pour the liquid that went through the sieve in a sterilized clean jar in the fridge— this is your Rawkstar Tonic. When you feel the onset of a tickly throat, congestion, cough— take a shot glass full of this a few times a day.

Nutrition

• Calories: 13
  • Sugar: 0
  • Sodium: 21
  • Fat: 0
  • Saturated Fat: 0
  • Carbohydrates: 2
  • Fiber: 0
  • Protein: 0
  • Cholesterol: 0

Keywords: natural cold remedy, cough recipe, fire cider recipe

Transform your health with tasty recipes + meal plans that fuel your body so you're able to go after your passions no matter what stage of life you're in.

Plant-Powered Meal Planner
learn more

7-DAY WINTER RESET

Now, LET'S DISCUSS...

1. Ashley P.

October 26th, 2017 at 9:24 am

How long can this be kept in the fridge after the fermenting stage? Is there an expiration date?

2. Jen Hansard

October 26th, 2017 at 9:36 am

You can keep it in the fridge for months. I’ve never had an issue with it going bad—I feel like the longer it sits the stronger it gets. 🙂

3. Quantrilla Ard

October 26th, 2017 at 9:33 am

Same question as Ashley P. Also, can you give it to the littles with some adjustments?

4. Jen Hansard

October 26th, 2017 at 9:41 am

You could I guess, but I think the will think you’re torturing them if they take it. It’s THAT potent and nasty. So I haven’t done it with my kids since it’s so strong. When they are teenagers, I’ll def have them do it. Mine are 8 + 9 years old and would be traumatized from a shot of that. I got the recipe from a friend at church and her so is a teenager and takes it. He says that he can’t stand it but he knows it works so he does it.

5. Peggy

October 26th, 2017 at 9:55 am

This cracks me up! I can’t wait to try it, I would eat dirt if it kept me healthy. Without my health, I can really do nothing. Thanks for sharing.

6. Jen Hansard

October 26th, 2017 at 12:31 pm

You sound just like me. xoxoxox Hope you make it and stay strong too!

7. Brandi

October 26th, 2017 at 11:02 am

Is there anything that can be done with the solids? Re-use?

8. Jen Hansard

October 26th, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Exactly! I reuse them for another round of Rawkstar Tonic and start the process all over again.

9. Lynne

November 9th, 2017 at 10:22 pm

I just took a class on making fire cider and the instructor ran the solids thru a small food processor for a minute or two added a little more honey and made a chutney. The chutney was great on crackers but would be even better with a nice goat cheese.

10. Sunny

October 26th, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Once drained, do you keep the solids in the fridge? How many rounds can you reuse the solids?

11. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

October 27th, 2017 at 11:27 am

Hi Sunny,

Once I’ve used the solids. I cover them again with Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice and store again for a month. After that use, I then toss the solids and use fresh next time!

Hope this helps!

12. Shasta

October 26th, 2017 at 1:03 pm

There are a lot of recipes out there that use fire cider as an ingredient. Try a Google search! For an extra health boost, I like to use it as a vinegar replacement in salad dressings – it is great in any type of slaw and gives your meal a nice kick!

13. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

October 27th, 2017 at 11:52 am

Thanks for sharing, Shasta! I can’t wait to look for even more recipes!!

14. Charlotte

October 26th, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I gotta ask: What’s the chaser for the shot of fire cider?

15. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

October 27th, 2017 at 11:51 am

Hi Charlotte,

A plant-based milk can be a great option to help cool down the “fire”!

16. Mary Jo Dowell

October 26th, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Can one put all the ingredients in a blender or food processer to chop them up?

17. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

October 27th, 2017 at 11:51 am

Hi Mary,

That sounds like a great idea!

18. Maria

October 30th, 2017 at 11:47 am

This recipe works people!!’ After searching for alternative cold medicine for weeks I stumble into this awesome remedy. I started putting everything together with excitement, fermented for 1 month and started the process again. I got sick with a terrible cold and right awai took 1T. Every 2hrs, for 1week and BAM COLD GONE. THANK YOU JEN!!’ I shared this with EVERYONE.

19. Tammy

November 7th, 2017 at 10:06 am

I have very bad reactions to jalapeno peppers – I wonder if this would work without them? I think it would still be a bit strong.

20. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

November 8th, 2017 at 9:17 am

HI Tammy,

Yes! You can definitely make this recipe without the jalapeños!

21. Yas

November 14th, 2017 at 12:14 am

Heya!
    Theres no horseradish where I live. Is there any alternative? I’m sure I can try finding regular radish.
    Same with jalapenos. Would regular green chilly do?

22. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

November 15th, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Hi Yas,

No horseradish? No worries! Just swap out the horseradish for more ginger. So you’ll be adding 1 cup overall. No jalapeños? Swap in another spicy pepper you love!

23. Maria

November 20th, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Wow, this is similar to a concoction my friend called Kill-a-virus (not sure who came up with the name). She gave us some and we used it up. She would never give us the recipe because she felt it was too much trouble. The difference I can detect is straining out the liquid from the rest…after a fermenting period. I think she just left it all in together. This seems better. I can’t wait to do this!

24. Michele S.

December 7th, 2017 at 9:50 pm

I just put this crazy jar of fire together tonight and I’m oddly excited for it. QUESTION: When you shake it every few days, do you open the lid for a minute to let the gasses out or anything like that?

25. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

December 13th, 2017 at 10:23 am

Hi Michelle,

Leave the lid closed + let the magic happen!

26. Shay

December 17th, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Hi!
    How long will the final product last in the fridge?

27. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

December 18th, 2017 at 10:28 am

Hi Shay,

The fire cider will keep at least 6 months and probably up to a year if kept from temperature fluctuations and out of direct sunlight.

28. Marion

January 6th, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Hi Jen,
    Do you leave the seeds in the jalapenos?

29. SGS Rawkstar Amanda

January 8th, 2018 at 9:22 am

Hi Marion,

Yes! That added spice will help kick your cold or flu to the curb!

1 2

Are smoothies good for you?
top Smoothie swag Under $25