JOIN US

RESET YOUR CRAVINGS WITH OUR LIVE AUTUMN 21-DAY COMMUNITY CLEANSE—STARTS OCT 5

AUTUMN 21-DAY CLEANSE IS OCT 5

Homemade deodorant that really works

homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

I’ve used countless store-bought natural deodorants, and they always leave me stinky and sweaty. I first made this homemade deodorant recipe back in 2011 and still use it daily, along with thousands of rawkstars who swear by it too.

Why I use natural deodorant

Making your own deodorant saves money, is healthier for your body, and actually stops the sweating AND body odor. Seriously, jump on this bandwagon asap!

In 2011, I went down the hippie road and started making granola bars, natural cold & flu remedies, elderberry syrup, and even went 10 days without shampoo (def don’t recommend that last one). It was during this time that I began questioning all the things I was putting in and on my body.

Deodorant was one of them.

Most store-bought deodorants contain parabens, aluminum, dye, and a bunch of chemicals I can’t even spell (or type correctly). Different studies have theorized that the aluminum in antiperspirants may increase the risk of breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. While other chemicals may lead to hormonal imbalances.

Sure, all of this is debatable, but why take the chance?

And why put these things on your body IF there are safe, natural alternatives that work even better?

To me, that’s reason enough to ditch commercial deodorants and make my own. I’ve been using the exact same recipe for over 9 years now and I absolutely love it and use it every day. The only thing I change up is the essential oils I use, depending on what scent I feel like that season.

homemade deodorant that works using all nattural ingredients

The best natural deodorant

No joke— you can put this deodorant on at 5AM, run a few miles, blend a tasty green smoothie, throw on some work clothes, work an 8-hour shift and come home smelling good. Seriously!

At first, my husband and I were baffled by how well it worked. We would smell each other’s armpits just to brag. Then we decided to push the boundaries and slathered it on before a long day of helping friends move… We sweat all day and came home smelling good!

Ingredients to make homemade deodorant

You only need four ingredients to make your own all-natural deodorant. Chances are you prob have at least half of them already. You can buy arrowroot powder in the baking section of most natural food stores or online.

1. baking soda (feel free to use less if you’ve got sensitive skin)
  2. non-gmo arrowroot powder (a better choice than traditional cornstarch)
  3. organic unrefined coconut oil
  4. essential oils: grapefruit, tea tree, spruce, and sweet orange are my favs
How to use natural homemade deodorant

How to use homemade deodorant

Using natural deodorant can seem a little intimidating at first. Since it’s stored in a jar, you have to scoop it out with your finger, a popsicle stick or a tongue depressor. If you’d prefer to have it in “stick form,” you can add a little bit of beeswax and shea butter to the recipe to thicken it. Yet I found that didn’t work as well for me and went back to the jar recipe.

Homemade deodorant: a recipe for succes

Some people can encounter issues with an itchy rash, red bumps, or more sweat and/or odor than usual as they transition to homemade deodorant. Yet don’t let this prevent you from making the switch! Drinking plenty of water and dry brushing are two awesome ways to assist your body as it adjusts away from the chemical-laden deodorants you used to use. My #1 recommendation (drumroll, please!) is to detox your armpits. Sounds weird, I know! But it’ll help speed up your body’s adjustment period to this homemade deodorant. Katie at Wellness Mama has a great recipe for a detoxifying armpit clay mask that I swear by.

Best Natural Deodorant to Buy

While making my own deodorant works for me, I’m also a realist and know that not everyone wants to go this crunchy. That’s where Pretty Frank (formerly known as Primal Pit Paste) and Native come in. Both brands have natural deodorant lines that have a variety of strengths and scents that work AND are better for your body. I’ve used them both when on vacation or if I run out of my own homemade deodorant and haven’t had time to make another batch.

Homemade deodorant with coconut oil and arrowroot powder — All Natural DIY Recipe
clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon
homemade deodorant that works | Simple Green Smoothies

Simple Homemade Deodorant

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 3 months 1x
  • Category: natural beauty
  • Method: no bake
  • Cuisine: American
  • Diet: Vegan

I invite you to make my family’s homemade deodorant recipe that uses safe, natural ingredients like coconut oil and essential oils. The ingredients for this natural deodorant will fit nicely into a 125 mL Ball Elite mason jar (I got mine at Target).

• 1/2 cup baking soda (you can use less when starting out if it irritates you)
  • 1/2 cup arrowroot powder (you can also use cornstarch… but I prefer arrowroot powder)
  • 5 tbs unrefined organic coconut oil
  • 20 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)

1. Mix baking soda and arrowroot together. (I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.)
  2. Next add the coconut oil and essential oils. Mix well.
  3. Pour into clean air-tight jar (Homemade deodorant will last 3-6 months in an airtight container.)
  4. Use a popsicle stick to get the deodorant out of the container and transfer to your finger. Make sure you use enough under your arms to keep you “sure” all day long. A pea-size amount is usually good.

Consistency: This deodorant changes consistency depending on the temperature. In cold climates, it can be pretty hard to get out. If that’s the case for you, I recommend storing it by the shower and allowing the steam to warm it before applying. If you live in a warm climate and the deodorant is too liquid-y, you can store it in a cool cupboard to thicken it up.

Technique: For the past couple years, I stopped using the popsicle stick and actually just use my fingers and dip them in the jar.

Keywords: natural deodorant recipe, DIY deodorant, arrowroot deodorant

Tags:    /   Categories: Healing Remedies, Recipes

By: Jen Hansard | Updated: 8.25.2020 | COMMENTS: 711

COMMENTS

1. Dominic Lanthier says:

Hi !
    For the homemade deodorant, are you using solid or liquid coconut oil ?
    Thanks !

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

The coconut oil is solid when in cold temperatures otherwise it is a liquid. I would recommend warming the coconut oil so that it is in a liquid form before mixing.

Hope that help!!

2. Julie D Hawley says:

You have officially converted me from buying deo at the store to making it myself FOREVER. This stuff is amazing. My only criticism is that if you use the whole jar to the end, it’s not as effective. So i just chuck the last tablespoon and make a new batch. Otherwise, I LOVE IT!! Thank you for posting this

Hey Julie,

Yay!!! I am so happy that you love this deodorant and that you are converted from buying store bought deodorant. Isn’t it amazing that you know exactly what is inside your deodorant!!!

• Julie says:

Yes! And that it’s so simple. I can’t find my other comment but have you found a good way of removing the deodorant? I scrub and scrub and it still builds up and harbors odors….

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Hi Julie! I responded to your question last Monday. 🙂 I wrote: I’m not sure what to tell you about your build-up problem. How long have you been using homemade deodorant and do you think the buildup could be from the store bought deodorant you used to use? Because this recipe calls for all-natural ingredients, it seems strange that you’d have trouble washing it off your armpits. I suggest detoxing your armpits using products that contain detoxifying properties (such as bentonite clay, charcoal or ACV) to help clear your pores of dead skin and/or product buildup. I like to make a mask using bentonite clay, ACV, and a little water. I use it on my face and armpits at the same time for a mini “spa” session in the bathroom before I hop in the shower and rinse it all off. Give this a try and let us know if it helps!

3. Lorie Chaussey says:

May I ask why you prefer arrowroot to cornstarch? I am shopping now and there is a significant price difference.

Thanks

4. Lorie Chaussey says:

I am going to make this but I have a question; I have peppermint essential oil. Is this antibacterial; if not, which scents are please?

Hey Lorie,

Yes Peppermint is antibacterial. Make sure to test a small amount before you apply it to your skin just in case!

Let us know what you think when you try it!

5. Cynthia Bond says:

I started using this in July and couldn’t be happier!
    I have thrown out the 5 different organic store bought deodorants that were in my medicine cabinet, none came close to the effectiveness of your super simple recipe! Thank you for this. Making a new batch today with orange

6. Stephanie says:

I have been wanting to make my own deodrant for years and last week I made this in less than 10 mins (I should of done it ages ago). I love it! I live in Scotland which has a cold climate, so I put the mixture into old deodrant stick containers which makes it a perfect way to store and apply it. It isn’t as soft as other solid cream deodrants but I find that if I don’t rub it on as hard as I used too then it doesn’t feel too rough. Thank you for this receipe 🙂 I’ll never need to buy deodorant again

7. JC says:

Hi there. First of all, thank you for the recipe, i tried it and it works. However, i have 2 questions need you to clear my doubts.
    1- can i totally not put in any soda and without soda is it still gona be effective? because my under arm currently is having skin burning, turns to rashes, dark brown and itchy.
    2- why the paste after 2 weeks, it turn to light brown? the content put in is: soda, corn flour, essential oil and coconut oil.
    Thank you very much!

Hey There!

We recommend using baking soda because that is one of the main ingredients for fight off bacteria. I would suggest adding in less baking soda and see if that help with the irritation. Also for the color changing that might be from what type of essential oil you are using. I use lavender and the color consistency does not change.

8. emily says:

Hi there!

I havent yet tried this recipe but I am so interested! My only concern is the coconut oil as I am worried it will oil stain my clothes at my underarms … do you find this happens to you?
    Thanks!

Hey Emily!

We have never had this issue with our recipe however we have never applied it directly to our clothing before to test it. This recipe absorbs very well into your skin which makes it not appear oily.

9. Tamara says:

I LOVE this idea… thank-you! I must be doing something wrong: please help: mine is pasty and the bicarb is gritty which I find weird to rub under my arms and then it kind of brushes off for ages afterwards, and then I feel sure that I am just rubbing off the deodorant in that way. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to mix it more? I don’t have a stand mixer, but have a hand mixer, nutribullet and hand blender 🙂 any ideas? Thanks!!!

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

I am sorry that does not sound nice at all! Lets see, make sure to melt the coconut oil before mixing first. That will probably make a huge difference if you are not already doing that. Also you might need to mix it a little better. I would mix it for about 5 minutes if you can. That way it will be all nice and creamy! If it’s still not creamy you might have accidentally added too much of the dry mixture so feel free to add in some extra oil until it is the consistency that you are looking for.

10. Susy says:

Hi there,
    What a great recipe! I love it. One question I have is, what to do when it gets crumbly?
    Does that happen to you? Should I sift the baking soda/arrowroot perhaps?
    Thanks for your time…great product!

Hey Susy,

The only time mine is ever crumbly is when I do not mix the coconut oil and the powder well enough. Make sure to completely melt the coconut oil so that you can mix it perfectly fine!

11. Billy says:

Super easy to make. Haven’t given it the sniff test yet but hopefully it keeps me smelling fresh all day.

12. Emily S Collins says:

Hi!
    I really want to try this recipe, but I don’t have any baking soda.
    What would you suggest as a replacement ingredient? I’m considering self raising flour, or baking powder alone.
    I appreciate the recipe and thanks in advance for your help!
    Xoxoxoxo

Hey Emily,

You can use the arrow root ingredient instead of the baking soda. Let us know how you like it!

13. Kim Gates says:

I just made and tried the deodorant recipe and not sure it looks like it should. It is very cakey and when applied to my armpits, it does not blend into the skin completely. It is flaky. Should I add more coconut oil?

Hey Kim,

I would make sure that the coconut oil is melted down completely that way you will be able to blend it really well until it is smooth. I would add in some extra coconut oil too if it still seems flaky after doing that.

14. Holly says:

If it hardens when cold.. could you put it in a roll-on type container and stick it in the fridge? Then use it as a roll-on instead of a cream?

Hey Holly,

We have actually had a few people suggest that and they said it worked for them. Let us know how it is for you if you give it a try!

15. Katherine says:

I adore this and it’s better than any I’ve ever bought BUT after a while it seems to go sort of grainy and it then really hurts to rub it in- it’s like rubbing sand in my armpit and makes them really sore.
    Maybe I’m doing something wrong with the recipe?

Hey Katherine,

Hmm I would suggest keeping it in the bathroom where you shower. That way when it heats up it will not be as grainy and more smooth + plus easier to scoop out.

16. Magdolna says:

Hi, it looks easy to make. Please tell me how much is “1/2 c”? Thank you 🙂

17. Ellen says:

I’ve been using this for a week. I love it! Thanks for sharing!

18. Lisa says:

have been using your recipe for years. I send the link to anyone who even mentions wanting to.use natural deoderant. At this point, I just eyeball the proportions and play around with the scent every time. This may sound dramatic, but it really has impacted my life. Since puberty I’ve had to change deodorants rough my every 6-24 months, when they suddenly suddenly stop working for me, and I am a stinky, stinky lady. I had been through all the big name women’s, half the men’s and many natural versions. I’ve lost track, but I’m now somewhere around 4-5 years with this recipe and going strong. Thank you!

Hey Lisa,

Wow that is such an amazing story. It’s crazy how true, natural, ingredients can make such a huge difference with even the way we smell and sweat. I am so happy that you were able to find this recipe and have something that finally worked for you. Woohoo!!!

19. Rachel says:

Hey! Thanks for your recipe. I was curious what consistency you usually get. Mine ended up pretty powdery, so I added more coconut oil. Still it’s not by any means something I can pour into a container. Thanks

Hey Rachel,

Have you tried melting the coconut oil before you mix it up? If you haven’t that will probably make a difference. It should be a pretty hard almost solid grainy texture.

20. Sudha says:

I love you
    This recipe is amazing! Thanks so much. I am a Massage Therapist with tendency to have smelly armpits especially after even one massage. I had to wipe my underarms frequently with fresh wipes & even aluminum free deodorant were not helping that much. This one is a life changer! Even after hours of work, it doesn’t smell as much as one third of how it used to do.
    Thanks a million

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Sudha, Thank you for sharing how much this has helped you to stay fresh! We are so happy that our recipe is making a difference for you 🙂

21. Heidi Watson says:

Hello thank you for this recipe for a greener deodorant. I couldn’t believe how effective it was. After a few months I got a rash under my arm but I will use less baking soda now. Even on really hot days it worked better than a shop bought one & no plastic involved. Many thanks x

Hey Heidi,

Thanks for the comment! We have had other users say adding less baking soda was helpful for them too. If you have sensitive skin it could be a little harsh until your body adjusts.

22. Katie says:

Hi there!
    Scrolled down and got the answer thanks! Made it so let’s see how I get on with ita Thanks, Katie

23. Katie says:

Hi there!
    Please can you tell me what the “c” stands for? Is it cup? Just want to check before I waste valuable materials! Thanks, Katie

24. Mary says:

Hi Jen. Thank you so much for this amazing recipe!
    I was wondering if incorporating beeswax or candelilla wax into the recipe would make this solid enough to use in a twist up/push up tube? If so, how much would I use?
    Thank you in advance. Love your blog!

Hey Mary,

When I make this recipe it is very solid to the point where I have to keep it in my bathroom and use it once the steam kicks in and melts it some. We have had some followers who put it in an old deodorant container and it worked great. We haven’t tried using the wax in this recipe so unfortunately I do not know how much you should add for that. If you do give it a try let us know how it goes!

25. Michael Lloyd-Hayes says:

Has anyone tried putting it in an empty deodorant container and applying it that way?
    Effective or not?

Hey Michael,

We have had a few people say they did this and it worked great for them. Just make sure it doesn’t get too warm or it will melt.

Let us know how it goes!

26. Missuly ESCOBAR says:

hello, the coconut oil is the solid one or the liquid one? here in Panama the normal is the virgin liquid one. Is that ok? or do I have to use the solid one?

Thanks.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

I didn’t know there was one or the other. The coconut oil that we use is melted when it’s hot and becomes solid when cold. It would be easier to be melted so you can mix it well.

27. Heidi Neuffer says:

Thank you so much for the simple recipe! I’ve used one like this for a long time, that someone made and gave to me. Then I ran out…so I tried your recipe because I have all the ingredients on hand. I used tea tree oil. Pure awesomeness! Thank you, Heidi Neuffer

Hey Heidi,

So happy you were able to use our recipe and loved it!! We think it’s pretty awesome too 🙂

28. Freda says:

I made this and I really love it. I live in Malaysia where climate is pretty warm. But this deodorant is very effective even after a sweaty exercise session I didn’t smell at all. Mineral deodorants here were getting expensive and I never felt comfortable with anti perspirants. Thank you for sharing ur recipe

Hey Freda,

I am so glad that our deodorant recipe is working for you! This has been the best thing for me as well and is also low cost to make.

Enjoy!!

29. Andrea says:

Hi
    I tried your recipe using cornflour instead of arrowroot and it was so good. I had to dilute it with way more coconut oil to get the perfect blend for me. Oddly though, after 3 months of perfection it started to give me a small rash. I’ve done some research and some say its the bicarb, however I have tried some without bicarb and have the same issue. Do you think it could be a that I need to do a new batch? Have you had any similar issues?

Hey Andrea,

I am sorry to hear that you are now getting a rash from the deodorant. I don’t think it has anything to do with it being 3 months old. I usually make a huge batch of this and sometimes it last for almost a whole year. I wonder if something else has changed with your clothes or body wash that could be causing the rash because it doesn’t make sense to get a rash after using it for 3 months. I hope you can find what the reason is for it!

30. Nicole says:

Do you melt the coconut oil or whip it?

Hey Nicole,

I prefer to melt the coconut oil before I mix it that way everything is even.

31. lisa says:

Love this and i started a a month or 2 and i’m in the my 3 mouth and i see a red rash. Can some one help? Im not sure if its cause i cut myself when i was shaving or it a reaction? It never happen before.. just this week? Any suggestion? it mostly on one side not the other.. not sure…

Hey Lisa,

I am not sure what might be going on but if it is only on one side and not the other it is probably from shaving too close or something happened with that side specifically. You might want to not sure this while you have the rash because the baking soda might irritate it.

32. chrissy says:

Hi there, I was so excited to try this out that I went right out and bought all the ingredients and put them in my kitchenaid. I followed the directions to a T, and the result was a very clumpy unusable mess. What did I do wrong? I blended it for quite awhile thinking any minute it would turn more creamy. Its almost the consistency of the start of pie dough. I hate to waste this, how can I fix it?

33. Amanda says:

This recipe works well! Some adjustments: I use about 1/4 cup of baking soda, and do a mix of lemongrass/ orange essential oils, as well as a bit of vanilla. I add a tad more coconut oil, so the texture is a bit creamier. It’s so effective against odour, my boyfriend asked for me to make him some, and he loves it too! Thanks for sharing:)

Hey Amanda,

SO happy that you love this recipe. Thank you for sharing how you made it work for you!!! 🙂

34. Vidya says:

Hi,

This recipe is just great and works perfect. Haven’t had smelly underarms after I started using this. I am having one issue though, my underarms are going dark from last 2 weeks. I used corn starch instead of arrow root powder. What do you think might be the reason? Any others also having this problem?

Hey Vidya,

It might be from the essential oil that you are using. We have heard that some essential oils others have used caused their armpits to stain. So I would suggest switching that up and seeing if that makes a difference.

35. Holly says:

I recently decided to go plastic free, swapping my plastic roll on deodorant for something plastic free and natural was one of the first swaps on my list.

This is the first recipe I tried and I won’t be using any others. It really works, and I was super sceptical

Hey Holly,

Yay!!! I am so happy that you tried our recipe even though you were skeptical. It really is such a great recipe 🙂

36. Natalie m says:

It works great. I do find you have to tweak the recipe a bit to find the texture you like. I made it following the recipe but only used half the amount of baking soda. I found that was too chalky so I added more coconut oil and a couple extra drops of tea tree oil. It’s been great. I gave some to my mom to try. She loves it. Only issue we both are having is that after a month our armpits are starting to go red. Like the baking soda is starting to irritate our armpits and causing burns. I’m wondering if using 1/4 of the recommended baking soda would help. Has anyone else had this issue/ what are you ke recommendations?
    Thank you.

Hey Natalie,

I am glad to hear that you have adjusted the recipe to get the texture you are looking for. We have heard that some add in less baking soda if they are sensitive to it but the amount wasn’t been very much. Since everyone’s skin is so different you might just be really sensitive to the baking soda. Some people cannot tolerate baking soda at all on their skin so I hope that is not the case for you. I would try using even less and see if that makes a difference.

37. Agnès says:

Hello,
    I made this recipe and really like it! It is simple to make and its consistency is amazing! I am however finding it difficult to spread on my skin on my armpit and it tends to create lumps rather than spreading evenly and being absorbed in the skin. Is that normal? Can we do anything about it?

Hey Agnes,

It might be because it is too solid. Coconut oil is more solid depending on the temperature that you are in. What works for me is if I leave it in my bathroom and put it on after I take a hot shower. It is more melted and glides on much better that way.

38. Monica says:

I am so happy I found this recipe! I was surprised at how easy it was to make and how effective it is. I used lavender oil which smells really strong in the jar and when I apply it, but throughout the day there’s just no smell on my skin at all, which I really like! I’m even making a batch to give to my mom and sister. My only question/concern is that I have dark/discolored underarms which I’m really embarrassed and self conscious about. I don’t shave anymore (I tweeze) so I think the chemicals in the store bought deodorants I’d been using for 2 decades might have been the cause. Do you know if this deodorant will affect or help with this? I’ve only been using it for a few days so I do notice it stinging a little bit. Thank you so much!

Hey Monica,

Thank you for sharing that with us! I am sorry that your skin has been discolored over time. Unfortunately I do not know if it will help with your situation but it should not discolor your skin like your other deodorant has before. If you continue to have the stinging feeling you can always try to make it again with less baking soda and that might help with that.

39. Cornelia says:

This recipe is amazing! It actually works!
    I tried this on a whim because I ran out of my store bought deodorant. I happened to have all the ingredients at home but swapped the grapefruit oil for tea tree and lavender. Cleaning the glass jar properly with hot water probably took longer than mixing the ingredients together. I live in the UK and it’s fairly cold in the morning. I still find the consistency pretty good because I just take out a little with a spoon and soften it in my warm hand. It leaves faint marks on dark clothes due to the arrowroot powder (I presume), but that’s no problem at all! Absolute love it and it works! Brilliant!!

Hey Cornelia,

Thank you for sharing and letting us know how much you love this deodorant recipe! It really is THE BEST and I make sure to always have some on hand.

40. Adhika Annissa says:

Hi, I live in Indonesia where it’s quite humid and warm all the time. I just want to share, I made it 30gr with 3tbsp cornstarch, 3/4tsp baking soda and 1tbsp coconut oil. I think it’s important to put in any liquid ingredients gradually considering the humidity and general temperature of where we live. Just to make sure that we get the texture we aim. I’ve tried to apply it, there was a small sensation but nothings really disturbing. My only question is, I still feel the texture a bit powdery, just a little bit. Is it normal or it should be completely creamy?

Hey Adhika,

The texture should be a little gritty. However, you could always add less baking soda or more coconut oil to make it more creamy.

41. Ee Von says:

Hi there,

Is it ok if I use liquid extra virgin coconut oil (cold pressed & unrefined)? Because that’s what I have in my kitchen, or must it be solid coconut oil? 🙂 Thanks

Hey There!

Most all coconut oil becomes solid in the cold which is important so your deodorant isn’t watery. You want it to be pasty and solid so it goes on nice and thick like regular deodorant.

42. Nora Dalasta says:

I’ve been using this recipe for a few months now and get say that it’s the BEST non-toxic deodorant I’ve used, store bought or homemade! I love the scent and after a long day, I don’t stink! The only reason I’m not giving it 5 stars is: a) It’s a bit powdery (when it’s cold) and so I have to make sure I’m leaning over the sink and let it warm against my skin for a second before rubbing it in so that it doesn’t get everywhere. My 11 year old son is using it too and he gets it everywhere. b) If I wear something that rubs my armpits (like a tight fitting tank) plus this deodorant, my pits get a bit red and irritated. I’m going to add some tea tree oil with this next batch and see if that helps. Otherwise this stuff is amazing and I’m going to make some for my sisters and friends as gifts!

Thanks for sharing Nora!

What I like to do is leave it in my bathroom and right after I take a hot shower I apply it. The steam from the shower melts it a little so it’s not so crumbly.

43. Jeremiah says:

This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thankyou so much and thankyou Universe for letting me find this website because questions and paths to walk that have been in my mind for a while now, are all spoken about by you on this website! Thankyou!!! Bless you!

Hey Jeremiah,

We are so happy that you found us too! Cannot wait to hear about how much you love this recipe 🙂

44. Mario says:

Hi, I just tried this, and when I applied it, it is a nice paste but it feels a bit thick and stays on my skin, very visible. Maybe it is too grainy? Should it really dissolve totally so that it is not visible at all on the skin? I guess I need more coconut oil? How should it look on the skin after application? Thanks for your help and the great recipe!!

• vita says:

Hiya, by a nice paste do you mean is a very smooth paste? mine is smooth as a thick cream when at 20 degrees or harder if cooled. The paste absorbs well when rub gently but leaves a very fine almost unnoticeable granulated texture that goes away after a few seconds letting it dry and rubbing it off . In your case it may be hair getting in the way? My boyfriend says he can’t use the paste a less he has shaved armpits. I hope it helps!

• Mario says:

Thanks for your comment Vita. I am shaved – and I just added a bit more oil and it works now perfectly. Thanks a lot for your input! 🙂

Hey Mario,

When you scoop it out it should be a thick paste, but when you rub it into your skin it should dissolve completely. Make sure you are blending it fully with the melted coconut oil and if that still doesn’t work I would add in some extra coconut oil and blend again.

45. Gemma says:

Hey I love this recipe and it works great I’ve tried so many commercial deodrants and they never seem to work as well as I’d like but this does! the only small problem I’m getting a slight rash I’ve tried using smaller amounts but I’m quite red and sore, any suggestions?

Hey Gemma,

You might be getting a rash from the baking soda. That is the only ingredient that some people might be sensitive to. I would suggest if you make it again using less baking soda and more arrow root and see if that help!

46. Lilah says:

I’ve made this a few times now and find that it actually works better than my old Dove roll on deodorant! I smell fresh all day long and even though this isn’t an antiperspirant I still stay dry. I can’t see myself every going back to a conventional deodorant again – this one is pretty perfect!

That’s awesome, Lilah!!

The natural option is so great and so much better! Love that it is the best for you too!!

47. Angie says:

Hey

I’m trying it out but i’m not sure what the end product will look like? Can some one help me out please…

• Zen says:

Hi, mine turned out like kinetic sand…squishy but holds its shape. But that could be because I used half of the baking soda in the recipe and added a bit of beeswax as I live in a fairly hot country. I didn’t make the full recipe so I only used a small flat whisk. Good luck!

Hey Angie,

When it’s cold it will be a hard gritty texture. If it is really warm then it will be a more smooth melted texture that will be easier to scoop out. We like to recommend leaving it in your bathroom so that it gets warm when you are in the shower.

• Angie says:

Thanks
        Since i’m up very early and i don’t shower any suggests on hoe to make it more liquid? It’s harder.. but with some forces i can get a bit out..

48. Angie says:

Hey

I’m trying it out but i’m not sure what the end product will look like? Can some one help me out.. Should it feel like paseos?

49. Zen says:

Thanks for this recipe! I made a fifth (I know, silly) of the recipe to try and added a little manuka beeswax to help keep it a bit more solid and used a repurposed glue stick tube so my daughter can take it to camp. There was a bit leftover so I tried it on myself, much to my delight! But yeah, you need to make sure you put enough, like you said, for good ‘coverage’. It also rubbed a bit on my navy top but I think it would come off in the wash. I’m now waiting on some proper deo stick containers to arrive so I can make more!

50. Lindsay says:

Simple, quick and effective.

51. Talya says:

WOW!
    I’ll admit I was skeptical before trying it, but I really wanted to find an effective & affordable deodorant, and all the store- bought options I tried were either too pricey or not effective.
    This one – amazing!
    I used cornstarch instead of the arrowroot powder, 20 drops of lavender essential oil and 10 drops of orange essential oil.
    First of all, it smells amazing. The scent is very mild and I only smelled it when I sniffed myself to check if it still worked (it did!).
    Now, unlike commercial antiperspirant deodorants, this battles odour-causing bacteria rather than clog the sweat glands and prevent sweating in the first place – so I did feel like I might have been sweating a little more than I used to with a commercial antiperspirant, but I still smelled good without having to re-apply during the day.
    * You’ll probably want to wait a minute or two after applying the deodorant before putting on a shirt to allow it to dry.

Hey Talya,

Yay!! We are so happy you found our recipe and gave it a try for yourself. Since this deodorant isn’t antiperspirant you will feel like you are sweating more than with store bought deodorant. The oils you used sound like they would smell so delicious!

52. Desiree says:

Oh my goodness! I haven’t tried making my own deodorant before, but I was on the hunt for a recipe and came across this one. I am so glad I did! Because I have very sensitive skin, I only used 1/4 cup of baking soda, but it works so well! The EO I used is Cassia, and the smell is so good and warm and it really lingers. It makes me smell like French toast. This deodorant works wonders! I put it on after an evening shower the day before a big cleaning project. Guess what? After all the sweating and working, I smelled like nothing but the faintest hint of cinnamon. Thank you so much for this recipe, and sorry for my long-winded review! A+

Hey Desiree,

Yay!!! That is so awesome to hear how much you love this recipe. I bet smelling like french toast is the best haha

53. Diymommy says:

Hello!!
    My batch turned out super grainy, I used my kitchen aid as well, melted coconut oil and mixed for several minutes. I even tried re-melting in a double boiler, adding more oil and mixing again. Is baking soda suppose to dissolve completely in the oil? Im guessing this will show on dark clothing… any suggestions??? Over all I like that is a basic recipe!! I will use my batch anyways 😉

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hmm I would try adding in some extra coconut oil and see if that helps make it less grainy. It should be a pretty solid consistency at the end especially if you are in a semi cold environment. Also, we have never had it where the deodorant shows up on clothes. Everything should dissolve into your skin.

54. Natalie Anderson says:

Hey, I love the simple ingredients and cant wait to try it out but I’m allergic to coconut, is there a good alternative? I’m having trouble finding a good recipe without coconut

Hey Natalie,

I would try jojoba oil with this recipe. The only thing is it might be mushy since it will not be a solid form like coconut oil, so I would add in less oil. We have only used coconut oil for this recipe so we cannot say if this will work or not.

Let us know how it goes!

55. Jess says:

Hello! For some reason the consistency stays quite powdery and dry no matter how long I mix it for. What could I be doing wrong? Please let me know, thanks:)

Hey Jess,

Have you tried mixing it with the coconut oil melted? If that still doesn’t work make sure that you have the correct measurements because it should blend pretty well at the end. Also, try using a mixer if you are doing it by hand 🙂

56. Heather says:

Has anyone tried this with a sweaty teenage boy? I do not love him using commercial deodorant products but the natural alternatives in the store did not work well enough. I would love for this to be the answer!

Hi Heather,

My brother has used this deodorant for a while now and he really likes it. It doesn’t make the sweating go away but it keeps him smelling fresh!

57. Muggline says:

This is my go-to recipe for deoderant. I don’t smell *at all* even the morning after. And it’s way better than any of the natural deoderants you can buy in the shops.

58. Esther Piripi says:

Hi Jen,
    Thank you SO MUCH for this deodorant recipe! I LOVE it!
    Here in New Zealand, we are in the middle of a hot dry summer and heat means we sweat … ALOT!
    but despite being out in the sun most of the day, I am completely odour-free!

Well not COMPLETELY, I chose to use ‘thieves’ essential oil as flavour, because of it’s anti bacterial properties and it is a faint lingering scent which I just love on my clothes and fingers -after application.

My 15 year old is putting together a low budget magazine for our little home school group and we were wondering if we could share your recipe with the 10-15 families here. We would be sure to acknowledge you as the author and invite people to your web site. Please let me know as soon as possible because this issue is due out in a week.

Thanks again, I love the recipe!

Hey Esther,

That is so fantastic! I have not tried this recipe with thieves yet but I bet it smells SO GOOD!!!

Yes of course you can totally share our recipes with your home school group 🙂

Love that!!!

59. Georgina says:

Just tried this recipe a few days ago, at first it was burning my pits for a day but as soon as I kept using the homemade deodorant with tea tree oil, it feels ok. I guess I put too much baking sofa haha! The only downside is that it gets hard and living in a cold climate country like Ireland doesnt help things lol.

Despite my one complaint I definitely recommend people trying out this recipe because honestly, we all would be better off not using sprays with aluminium!

Hey Georgina,

We have had a few rawkstars put their deodorant into old deodorant sticks and they said it worked just as well as store bought. Since it is so cold where you are maybe that would be a good option for you!!

Enjoy!!!

60. Sarah says:

Hi there, I live in the UK and want to make this but my measurements are different, also the pot I’m using is only 60ml? Can you advise on measurements? Thank you.

Hey Sarah,

No problem! I would cut the measurements in half so that it fits into your jar perfectly.

1/4 cup baking soda
      1/4 cup arrow root
      2.5 tablespoons of coconut oil
      10 drops of grapefruit essential oils

61. Rosina says:

How essential is it to use unrefined coconut oil? Nutiva’s site claims that both refined and unrefined oils have the same nutritional profile, but also every blogger states that unrefined is so much healthier. I have refined coconut oil and all the other ingredients, I just wanted to know if there was a reason specific to this deodorant recipe for unrefined because that requires a trip into town.

Hey Rosina,

Great question! Unrefined is the “purest” form of coconut oil which means it is less processed. With it being less processed you have more coconut flavor as well as more nutrients in your oil.

62. Ilo says:

Yes aluminium is nasty! It is also connected to women’s breast cancer yet it is ingridient of 99% antiperspirants and deodorants found in the shops!
    I am currently using one from lush as any other with baking soda gives me rash 🙁
    It os nice to see more and more people going natural and zero waste ! It is better for our health and for the planet ❤

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

It really is and we are so happy to see how many people are going the all natural route!

I am sorry that you are sensitive to baking soda. You can always add less and try it out on a small area of skin.

63. Shannon says:

HI there! What are other disinfecting oil options? I want to make this for my sis but she doesn’t like the grapefruit essential oil. Thanks!

Hey Shannon,

Some other great disinfectant essential oils are lavender, tea tree, and lemon.

Enjoy! 🙂

64. jess says:

ok, so I added in the essential oils (young living grapefruit) at the end, and forgot that it needs to be added to the coconut oil and mixed well. I halfed the recipe, but probably added 20 drops of grapefruit oil and 5-6 drops of lemon oil, and I still can’t smell anything. is that because it wasn’t dissolved into the carrier oil first? what difference does it make though if you add the essential oils at the end? I mean it shouldn’t make a difference, should it? could it just be that it doesn’t pick up the citrus scent as well?

thanks

Hey Jess,

Adding the oil in the beginning with the coconut oil allows it to be mixed evenly. Most of your oils could be at the bottom if you do not smell anything. Also sometimes a certain oil is not as potent as others. If you would like it to smell stronger feel free to add in more to your mixture.

• jess says:

ok so right after I made a smaller batch, where I added the essential oil to the coconut oil and then I left both batches to cool, and I got the same result — so it doesn’t make a difference when you add the essential oils, altho I can see your theory of it not mixing / blending in potentially occurring too.

as for the grapefruit scent, you can smell it once the deodorant cools. so both smelled the same after 2-3 hours and I just mixed them together, the scent comes out stronger after a few hours, I don’t know why, but this happened last time I made it too

65. Jessica says:

Good recipe! Can also be done with tea tree oil, but make sure not to use too much as it is pretty strong (but very effective).

Hey Jessica,

Tea tree oil would be a great addition to this recipe. I bet your deodorant smells so fresh with that oil!

66. Lori says:

I haven’t tried this one yet but another person asked what I was thinking and this is 1 cup dry ( arrow root /baking soda) to only 5 Tablespoons oil? this won’t mix!!

• Jessica says:

Yes, it does mix once the coconut oil has been liquefied. The substance is still pretty liquid before it cools down and hardens again. 🙂

67. Gill says:

Hi I am wanting to try this recipe but just want to check the quantities – is it really 1/2 Cup baking soda & 1.2 Cup arrowroot (that’s 1 Cup dry ingredients) & only 5 Tablespoons oil & then the essential oil drops?? It sounds like it is way too dry?? Please advise

Hey Gill,

Yes those measurements are correct! The coconut oil goes a long way. I would make sure the coconut oil is melted down so that it mixes well without any chunks after.

Enjoy!

68. Jennifer K says:

This works great & is so easy to make! Thanks for sharing. I used tea tree, Rosemary, tangerine, & lavender essential oils.

Hey Jennifer,

I bet you smelled so great with that combination of oils!

Thanks for sharing with us 🙂

69. Kayla Reid says:

I am very excited to try this, I am just wondering should I melt the coconut oil and add it in liquid form or leave it solid and mash it in?

Hey Kayla,

If your coconut oil is sold I would suggest melting it because that way it will be mixed perfectly and you won’t get any chunks.

Cannot wait for you to try it!

70. Ellen Wright says:

I stirred in some aloe vera to keep the coconut oil creamy and easy to spread.

71. Geneene says:

I LOVE this. It works so well! But, is there something I could add to make it more creamy? Shea butter?

Hey Geneene,

You could add more of the coconut oil to the recipe. Keep adding it until it is at the consistency that you need!

72. Rocio Hernandez says:

I have VERY sensitive skin. Will it work as well no baking soda? No oils?

Hey Rocio,

Since both of those are essential ingredients to this recipe I would suggest not leaving them out. I would use less of each and test it on a small area of skin and see how that is for you.

73. Barb says:

I really haven’t done much with essential oil but surprised to read 20 drops in this recipe. Sure it’s not too much ?

• Heather says:

Barb, 20 drops essential oil isn’t too much in this quantity of product. 20 drops is equal to 1ml. 1ml to 100ml (grams in this case) makes a 1% strength product. It is safe to make up to a 3% product – that is 3ml:100ml/gm. This recipe fills more than two 50gm jars which tells me that the recipe is less than a 1% strength.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

What Heather said!! Thank you for sharing that information with your fellow rawkstar, Heather 🙂

74. Brynalise Walker says:

Thank you so much! You have saved my pits and my wallet. I have used so many different natural deodorants simply because at 12 I became allergic to the aluminium in most commercial deodorants. I gradually found more and more effective ones and over the past year or so I have been using Schmidt’s which is by far the best I have found commercially. However, At 10-12 dollars per stick my wallet was crying. This recipe is just as effective if not better and it cost only a fraction of the price ( I calculated roughly $2.00).

• Philip says:

I use this every day and it works great. Better than store bought deodorant.

FYI: Generally aluminum only shows up in ANTIPERSPIRANT, not store bought deodorant.

Hey Brynalise,

I am so happy that you found our recipe for all natural deodorant so that you and your wallet are now happy!!!

75. Gretta says:

Works great! Better than any of the commercial ones I’ve tried. And it’s so simple too!

Hey Gretta!

I am so glad that you love this recipe! It really is so simple and convenient to make 🙂

76. Diana says:

I have tried 3 types of natura deodorants. The first one stained all my shirts and the other two left me in a stink after the first our. So I decided to make this and it was great. The only thing is the clumping, it leaves the residue that is noticeable. I added some almond oil and it’s much better. I love this recipe and thank you for saving me from the horrible products out there!!!

• Genevieve says:

How much Almond oil did you add? I am going to make this recipe, but based on the proportions I was imagining clumping would be an issue. I’d love to pre-empt if you found a solution that prevents that!

Hey Diana,

Yes, if it is too clumpy you can always add in some extra oil. That is awesome you went ahead and did that so it would work for you!! 🙂

77. Stephanie says:

I have used this recipe a few times now and like it better than those with more oil and less of the powdery ingredients- this one doesn’t stain my clothes. This winter, however, is my first winter using homemade deodorant and the fact that coconut oil “freezes” under cooler temperatures became a real problem. I never remembered to bring the jar into the shower to soften (I don’t know if it would have softened enough…we keep our house at an energy-saving 62 degrees in the winter), so I was left with a clumpy mess that would drop out of my armpits onto the floor even after trying to soften it into my hands! But then it occurred to me that mixing in a different oil, one that is liquid at cooler temperatures, might do the trick. So I humbly submit my cold-weather alteration- instead of 5T coconut oil, use 3T coconut oil and 2T sweet almond oil. Stays spreadable when it’s cold!

• Shirl says:

Stephanie, you could get empty deodorant sticks and fill them. It goes on just like store bought!

Hey Stephanie,

Thank you for sharing your substitutions!! SO happy you were able to make it work for you.

Also, what Shirl said too is a great way to use it as a regular deodorant stick!

78. Laura Shank Storie says:

I make this deodorant as well. I use the arrowroot instead of cornstarch. Cornstarch irritated me. I usually use a citrus essential oil.but I do have a problem with getting a light green stain on my bra. Was curious what others thought. Is it the citrus essential oil or something else? At this point I just deal with it because I do like the results of the deodorant.

Hey Laura,

I think you are getting a green stain from the essential oil you are using. We had someone comment in that they were getting an orange stain from using the orange essential oil. Once they switched the staining went away. If your oils have any color to them at all there is a chance they will stain.

79. Marie says:

Is this antiperspirant also?

Hi Marie,

The arrow root in this recipe helps with antiperspirant but I would not say this is an antiperspirant deodorant like what you use in the store. This recipe is to mainly help with keeping you order free!

Hope you give it a try!

80. Pam Beeson says:

I used tea tree oil. This deodorant really works!! Thank you.

Hey Pam,

I am so glad that you love this recipe! Tea tree oil smells amazing! I will have to try that scent next time I make some 🙂

• Kimberly says:

I always use tea tree oil, as it is such a great way to kill the bacteria that causes the odor. I add other essential oils to it to create the scent that I ultimately like.

Hey Kimberly,

Oh yes, tea tree is the favorite around here! SO happy that you have found the perfect blend that you love 🙂

81. Lara says:

Hey is 1/2 c mean half a cup? Thanks 🙂

82. Simple Homemade Deodorant Recipe (that actually works well!) – Kenai Organic Farms says:

[…] Print […]

83. Sophie says:

I am hooked on my natural deodorant now! I’m a runner too, and sweat a lot. In the summer my deodorant was too soft, so I have added a tablespoon of beeswax pastilles to the recipe. I always put in tea tree oil for antibacterial properties (and I like the smell), but have experimented with other oils for scent. I added frankincense today. One thing I noticed though — orange oil smelled awesome, but stained the armpits of a white shirt, so now I am careful with the oils that have stronger colors. As for rash, if you shave your armpits, you might try not putting deodorant on for a few hours after you shave them. I epilady my armpits (it’s not so bad after the first time, and they look and feel GREAT — I only do them every week or 10 days now), and I do it at night, and then soothe them with witch hazel, and don’t use deodorant until the next morning.

Hey Sophie,

SO happy that a fellow running loves this deodorant too!!! Thank you for sharing with us and how it works best for you 🙂

84. Agen p says:

This recipe is the best ever I have spend a fortune on store deodorant because I sweat a lot so I have to get the most expensive ones.In my country we have the organic coconut oil and baking soda and corn starch is not expensive,iam never going back to buy those chemicals deodorants again.The baking soda does give me rash but it will go away after awhile.Iam totally ordour free.Thank you so much for your recipe.

Hey Agen,

I am so glad you found our recipe so you could ditch the store bought deodorant and not only save money but give your body some chemical free products!

85. Jenelle says:

So I love the idea of this and I made some and I get no b.o. smell, but I find it gets damp under my arms (pit stains and all) without my store-bought deodorant. It makes me feel gross. Is there an ingredient I need to increase or add to keep my underarms feeling dry too? I really don’t want to go back to that 100 ingredients I can’t even pronounce store-bought stuff!! Please HELP!!

Hey Jenelle,

I am so glad that you are enjoying how fresh and clean our deodorant makes you smell! You can try adding some extra arrow root in your deodorant because that ingredient is suppose to absorb moisture.

Hope that helps! 🙂

86. Bonny Cole says:

I haven’t made it yet, but I’m looking forward to trying it. I have fibromyalgia and am constantly sweating. I have tried every store bought deodorant for women and men and I still have no. Can’t wait to make ur deodorant and use it. Thx for sharing

Hey Bonny,

I have a feeling you will love the DIY deodorant and I hope that it gives you what you are looking for 🙂

87. Kim says:

I was skeptical that this would actually work.. It DOES work 🙂 and it smells so good! Will never go back to store bought deodorant again! Thanks for the great recipe. I will spread the word xx

Yay Kim!!!

It really is THAT good and so happy that you want to share it with others.

Happy dance time!!!

88. Emil says:

Magical! Got rashes under the armpit from other recipes.
    this one is simple and works wonders. I am a man get rather smelly if not using deodorant.
    Strongly recommend.
    I’m off to try a batch with scent free coconut oil, so the ESOs can get some stage time too.

Hey Emil,

SO happy to hear that our recipe did not give you any rashes. It is really the best homemade deodorant I have ever tried and I am glad it is working great for you as well. 🙂

89. Xan says:

So my armpits feel
    Slightly raw or irritated by this but I can’t figure out why. I have never used natural deodorant before could this be impacting the affect?

Hey Xan,

I am so sorry to hear that. My only guess would be if you have an allergic reaction to the baking soda in the ingredients? That would be the only thing that could cause some sort of reaction. I would try applying just coconut oil to it and see if that helps with the irritation.

90. Becca says:

I rarely write reviews, but I feel called to for this recipe. This stuff is awesome! I will never go back to plastic containers of deodorant. I just used store-brand baking soda and cornstarch and still turned out great. I did cut the baking soda just a bit (just eye-balled it) and ended up adding a bit more coconut oil to get the desired consistency. I used my food processor.

I used eucalyptus oil, and the deodorant smells so good. I don’t smell the eucalyptus later in the day, but I also don’t smell body odor – just neutral! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!!

Thanks Becca,

So happy you enjoyed this recipe and made a rawkin deodorant for yourself!

Enjoy smelling fresh and clean 🙂

91. Jasmine says:

Hi someone asked this bit I can’t find a reply sorry…. can you use only arrowroot with coconut oil or is the baking soda really important…. I find it slightly irritating. Thanks!

Hey Jasmine,

You can totally leave out the baking soda if you need to.

Hope you enjoy this!

92. Luisa Fanzani says:

I started making my own deodorant at home and it works so much better. I’m using refillable roll-on bottles like these https://amzn.to/2Nq9VMc. I also waste less plastic doing this way.

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hey Luisa,

Yay!!! That is so fantastic that you are now making your own deodorant and using refillable bottles. Thank you so much for sharing those with us.

93. Georgia says:

Works for me. So fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

94. Claire says:

Also…I saw in the comments that people had been using plastic deodorant dispensers for this, but I had read that sometimes essential oils can cause the plastic to degrade and emit toxins so I use paper cupcake cases and store in a small metal soap tin.

I don’t know if this is true but worth giving thought to.

• Vicky says:

Thank you! I tried this recipe and it is very effective for my pre-teen daughter. I used cornstarch powder. When I ran out of my first batch, I used baking soda, cornstarch and Sunflower oil no essential oil. It still worked for her. Now the third batch is baking soda, cornstarch, sunflower oil and few drops of lavender essential oil. I will see how it goes. My problem is the discoloration. Any idea how can I fix it? Maybe she is sensitive to baking soda but so far it is the only formulation that works her body odor. I have tried many commercial all natural products but did not work for her.

95. Claire says:

This is great. I started doing it a few years ago and you can add your own blend of essential oils to make your own fragrance.

I stopped wearing deodorant about 6 years ago as I thought it was a con and unnecessary but over the summer I sometimes felt a bit stinky so I tried this and it does the trick.

I also melt some coconut oil on its own and add essential oils, put it in paper cupcake cases and keep in the fridge. I use these as moisturizers and they smell amazing.

Lush sell a similar massage bar and it’s pricey. Buying essential oils is initially dearer but you can pop a few drops in the bath as well so you get a lot more out of them. I also put a drop or two into my shampoo/conditioner as I apply it for more natural smelling hair.

96. Victoria says:

Can I make this without arrow root?

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hey Victoria,

Yes you can use cornstarch instead of arrowroot if you prefer.

Excited for you to give it a try!

97. Allyson says:

Is it possible to make this using all arrowroot powder? I’ve read where baking soda can cause irritation and/or stains on clothing.

Thanks for the recipe!

98. April says:

I have loved using this deodorant, but I’d like to make it into a stick for the men in my life. Is adding bees wax a good way to do that? How much should I add?

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hey April,

We have not tried making this a stick deodorant yet so I would not have any solid suggestions.
      If you give it a try let us know how it goes. Good luck!!

99. Stefanie says:

I just tried to make it but it’s not the concistency of a paste yet, still is a powder. Does that mean I need more coconut oil?

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hey Stefanie,

Hmm it does sound like you need some more coconut oil. Make sure the oil is either soft or melted when you add it. That might make it easier to mix. Can’t wait for you to experience how fresh and clean it makes you feel! 🙂

• Stefanie says:

Added more coconut oil and it worked. Makes sense to makes sure it’s more soft, I did not do that, will have to do that next time! I’ve used it for two days and I absolutely LOVE it!!! So happy I came across your page. Thanks for sharing!

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Yay Stefanie!!

So happy that you made it work and that you are enjoying it.

100. Smanti Jork says:

I made this recipe and have used the deodorant for the last 8 weeks. I have never smelt so good! I found arrowroot powder on Amazon as well as bulk empty deodorant containers. I used lemon essential oil and was worried that I would smell like a household cleaner, but the scent is nothing like that once everything is mixed together.

I can’t say enough good things about this recipe! I even went camping for 3 days and smelt good the whole time. The only downside is that the baking soda does cause a little bit of irritation if you use too much. Otherwise, this stuff is amazing!! I will never use a store bought brand again.

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Love hearing that!! Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Smanti! And cheers to health, wellness + smelling great!

1 2 3 4
the latest recipes

These are the go-to books, smoothie swag and guides for making tasty green smoothies and plant-powered meals.

Helpful Wellness Products

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
DIY FREEZER SMOOTHIE PREP ON A BUDGET
THE 21-DAY CLEANSE
autumn flavors

Discover exactly how to eat to lose weight, gain energy + boost your immune system, naturally.

For 21 days, you'll embrace an autumn-inspired  plant-based whole foods diet packed with smoothies, hearty snacks and soul-comforting meals. This is unlike any other cleanse out there— and that's why you get lasting results!

LEARN MORE