5.29.2020

Kale Mango Smoothie

How to make a kale mango smoothie

Take a mini-vacation with every sip of this yummy Kale Mango Smoothie. And don’t let that kale intimidate you! If you’re new to blending with kale, this is a great smoothie to help break you in. The tropical fruit and coconut milk give this smoothie a delectable flavor and texture, like a milkshake – only healthy!

We love blending with a variety of  liquid bases, and for this smoothie recipe, we went with coconut milk.

Kale, mango, coconut milk and pineapple to make a smoothie

What kind of coconut milk in a smoothie?

The rawkstar team is split on which type to use. Some preferred the thicker, richer flavor of canned coconut milk. Others like the kind in the carton, shelf stable or refrigerated. Bottom line: it doesn’t matter all that much— as long as you stay away from the sweetened ones! Focus on ingredients and pick one with the least amount of additives.

Ultimately, we always recommend using whatever you like best, have access to, and fits your lifestyle and/or budget.

Full fat coconut milk is higher calories and fat content, yet also will fill you up more, making it a good meal replacement liquid base.

Fresh mangoes for smoothies

Should I use fresh or frozen mango?

I usually buy frozen mango to use in my smoothies. It’s cheaper, easier and naturally chills the smoothie down. Yet you can also use fresh mango. If you can get a bunch on sale, peel it, dice it and freeze it yourself!

Kale is a leafy green that you should eat more of.

Why this Kale Mango Smoothie rawks!

Dark, leafy greens in general are some of the most nutrient dense, healthiest foods on the planet. Eating (or drinking) your greens gives your body a whole host of nutrients. That’s why we love to include them in this Kale Mango Smoothie recipe! If you don’t like kale, swap it with another leafy green you like. Can’t go wrong with spinach!

Kale is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K. It also contains moderate amounts of calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and vitamin C. Kale is naturally low in sodium and calories – one cup of raw chopped kale only has 34 calories.

The significant amount of phytochemicals in kale can help reduce the risk of chronic disease and inflammation. Kale contains lutein and zeaxanthin which can help prevent cataracts from forming and macular degeneration. Antherosclerosis, the hardening and narrowing of the arteries, may be prevented by a diet rich in lutein.

Kale Mango Smoothie with coconut milk

5 more kale smoothies

Kale Mango Smoothie

Kale can be intimidating at first, yet with a little pineapple you are good to go. This kale mango smoothie is super nourishing and filling—and makes a great breakfast with the healthy fats found in coconut milk to curb your appetite.
4.5 from 121 votes
Pin Recipe Rate Recipe Print Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Course: Smoothie
Cuisine: Plant-Based
Servings: 1
Calories: 340kcal
Author: Jen Hansard

• Blend kale and coconut milk together until smooth.
  • Add remaining fruit and blend again.

• Use at least one frozen fruit to make the smoothie cold or serve over ice.

Nutrition

Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 696mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 8526IU | Vitamin C: 180mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg
Did you make this?Tag @simplegreensmoothie and hashtag it #simplegreensmoothies so we can reshare on our plant-based Instagram account.
SHARE ON FACEBOOK PIN FOR LATER
#1 Green Smoothie Of all Time— no joke!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
7-DAY WEIGHT LOSS MEAL PLAN
About Jen Hansard

Mom of 2, ran across the Grand Canyon and lover of smoothies, coffee & tacos. I transformed my family's health with a realistic plant-based diet. I also found myself again along the way.

Rate the Recipe

Ratings & Comments

SHOW COMMENTS
  1. HOPE says:

This was delicious! The mango and pineapple blend perfectly and mask the bitterness of the kale. The coconut milk rounds out the smoothie and makes it super creamy.

• Simple Green Smoothies says:

Kale usually works best in tropical flavored smoothies like these. Way to blend Hope! 🙂

2. Carol Pizarro says:

I used coconut water and added banana instead of the pineapple it was really good I will try it with pineapple next it was super delicious

3. Nora Long says:

I loved it, will do it again, the flavors blend so well

4. Jessica says:

I think kale in smoothies always tastes best paired with tropical fruits.

5. Daniella Brissett says:

I used spinach instead of kale this was very good

6. Meagan says:

I’ve decided that the smoothies made with coconut milk are not my favorite but I do love them with coconut water so I went half & half with this. Delicious and creamy!

7. Eri says:

I enjoyed this smoothie very much!
    I made it with 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/2 cup water instead of just with coconut milk since I’m not crazy about coconut milk. Yogurt with mango and pineapple worked very well!

8. Sara says:

Ooohh love the coconut milk in this smoothie! It made it so creamy and yummy! It’s so tropical too! I mean you can’t go wrong!!! I don’t usually use mango but I will definitely be adding this smoothie in my regular rotation!!!

9. Taylor Gonzalez says:

This smoothie was yummy however I don’t think I was a fan of both the Kale and coconut milk mix together. This smoothie was still good but probably one of my least favorites so far in the 10-day challenge.

10. andrea rumble says:

soooooo yummy

11. Elle Wood says:

I didn’t have kale and opted for spinach and used coconut water instead of milk (personal preference). Very yummy and smooth. I used fresh pineapple and it was sweet treat.

12. Dawn says:

Day 9 of my Green Smoothie Challenge – Kale Mango Smoothie. The taste was good. Something about the texture seemed chalky. Maybe the canned coconut milk? I do like kale so I will try this again with a different type of coconut milk/water.

13. Susan McFadden says:

Loved this smoothie! The mango thickens it up and the pineapple makes it sweet.

14. Karina says:

Loved it!

15. Jessie says:

I was not feeling the coconut milk this morning, so I used unsweetened almond milk and it was delicious. I also added chia seeds and MCT oil to make it a meal before I headed out for my morning walk.

16. Jess S says:

I like this one, but I think I have discovered that I prefer spinach over kale in a smoothie. The kale has such a strong taste!

17. Andre L says:

Day 9 of the Smoothie Challenge – Kale Mango. Very smooth start with a sweet kick to finish. It was a welcome surprise on my bike commute to work. Simple Green Smoothies #simplegreensmoothies @ Tempe, Arizona

18. Laura says:

Super tasty! The turmeric smoothie cubes I added were a nice touch too!

19. Holly P. says:

I think this is one of my favorites! So sweet & creamy! The pineapple helps with any bitterness the kale may have. I will definitely be making this one a lot this summer!

20. Youlanda Jennings says:

Kale Mango Smoothie was awesome, today I added a banana, chia seeds and collagen with a tad bit extra coconut milk. Putting coconut milk in my smoothies have me a whole different ways to make smoothies. I’m Loving this 10days green smoothie challenge.

• SGS Rawkstar Jess says:

Woo hoo! So glad you’re enjoying the challenge. 🙂

21. Tam Tam says:

Any smoothie with mango is a win in my book. I added a few blueberries and elderberry powder for antioxidants. I like the combination of the coconut flavor and mango, you don’t really notice the kale.

22. Jennetta Thomas says:

This one is good, but not as good as the coconut peach. It wasn’t as sweet to me. Could’ve been my fruit? I think I’d add ginger or mint next time to liven it up.

23. Clara says:

Still not a fan of coconut milk. I soaked unsweetened coconut flakes for about an hour before making the smoothie to give it the coconut flavor. Very tasty! I also used avocado to create a creamier texture! Yummy!!

24. Deanna Brandau says:

My mango wasn’t great and didn’t have much flavor. I also swapped spinach for kale. I had to tweak with few other ingredients to fix mango but that’s what makes these easy to tweak and use what you have more of or what is going. Ended up great with orange, almond milk, banana, blackberries, found flax and strawberry vegan protein fruit and plant powder.

25. Deborah says:

I am not a Kale lover so I used Spinach. This was not a favorite, but it is one I will drink again. I took it with me while I did some yard work and the refreshing sips were just lovely between weed pulling, raking and trimming. No one flavor stood out and they blended well nicely.

26. Kimberly S Robinson says:

This smoothie was good, but not my favorite. I think I’ve become so used to the pop of flavor from the greens and fruit when making my smoothies with water (even coconut water), that using coconut (or almond, etc.) milk mellows the flavor a little too much for me. I’m looking forward to trying it with water next time.

27. Sophia Allison says:

Loved this combo, mango & pineapple with coconut…another fav.

28. Sarah says:

Summer in a glass! This was a perfect oasis today. I will definitely be making this one again.

29. Christina G says:

Kale-mazing! Enjoyed this smoothie very much I wished I had coconut flakes to add. Love the earthly taste of the Kale

• Jackie Fehr says:

Wowzer…… Another AMAZING tropical smoothie made with coconut milk. I just ‘LOVE’ tasting all the ingredients in these smoothies. Sooooo smooth, creamy, and tropical! Delish’ in my books!!

30. Betsy Spinosa says:

So far this is one of my favorites!!! Even my kids love it! Today the whole family enjoyed a green smoothie

31. Hilde Johansen says:

This was yummy. Ended with a bit more pineapple than mango but still so yummy. Switched the coconut milk for yoghurt. Mum also liked it

32. Bonnie Primm says:

I never tried coconut milk before this challenge and I Love what it does to the smoothies!!! Kale is my favorite green so added it to a shake makes me love it even more!!!! I love the kale, mango, coconut milk combo

33. Jennifer A. says:

Another tropical treat perfect for summertime! I was out of kale, so substituted spinach. It was a little tart side, so added a banana and a couple coconut milk smoothie cubes for the win. Both delicious AND nutritious!

34. Andrea says:

I used spinach instead of kale because I needed to use it up. I also had to add about a cup of water because I was using frozen fruit. Delicious! I think a banana may make it a little sweeter.

35. Dora Suarez says:

I’m bummed this came out tart. I don’t blame the recipe just my Ms hoy were on the greener side. I maybe could have added a banana. Oh well I’ll just have to try it again.

36. Rovey says:

I like the pineapple and mango combo . I added spinach and kale mix with açaí, flaxseed,chia seed and hemp hearts. My lunch replacement for the day.

37. Anita says:

Delicious and smooth. Thoroughly enjoyed.

38. April R Eckert says:

This was a good combo. I appreciate all of the vitamin C to help boost my immune system. Especially right now!

39. Samantha says:

A nice creamy flavour! I used a kale-spinach blend, and bulked it up with avocado and chia seeds.

40. jJulie says:

Definitely a 5 star smoothie for me! Jen’s suggestion to use baby kale has made all the difference. All of these are my favorite flavors – mango, coconut especially…I grew up in South Florida. YUM!

41. Kathy Overstreet says:

Oh so rich and creamy. Made as is

Love it – another one for my rotation!

42. Tina says:

So good! Used peaches instead of mango and added protein powder.

43. Marilynn Hession says:

This one is really good and creamy!!! I used frozen mango & pineapple so I had to add some coconut water to get it to blend, lol!

44. Laura Peters says:

Enjoyed this one today!! It was milder than some of the rest but good combo with mango and pineapple.

45. Julie Quinn says:

This was soooo good. Very coconut-y because I added a Coconut Milk Smoothie Cube. I loved this and I don’t usually like coconut. Mango and pineapple is becoming my favorite combo! This tastes like a treat and not something filled with healthy goodness.

46. Trudy Richardson says:

Love this smoothie. I had difficulty deciding between 4 and 5 stars but finally decided on 4 since there were others that I believe I liked just a wee bit better. It is close though. This recipe is a keeper. It is creamy and has a magnificent flavor. I love the mango and pineapple combination.

47. Cristina Ribeiro says:

Ok tasting, mild mango and pineapple taste. Creamy from the coconut milk. I’m not liking the coconut milk in the smoothies, I find it’s masking the fruit tastes.

48. Lindsey Chandler says:

Smooth and creamy! Very tropical.

49. Patricia says:

Not a favorite! A little too bitter for me!

Hey Patricia,

Sometimes if you fruit isn’t ripe enough it won’t taste very sweet. When this happens you can always add in some all natural sweeteners:

50. Anita says:

I had this smoothie again adding a quarter of a avocado, five stars

Hey Anita,

Yum!! I bet that extra avocado made it extra creamy and delicious =P

51. Mireille says:

Delicious! I used Silk coconut milk. It might of been better with canned coconut milk.

Hey Mireille,

We personally like to use canned coconut milk in our recipes but you can use whichever works best for you!

52. Carys says:

Loved this one! Very creamy and a beautiful bright green color.

53. Joyce Moy says:

This reminded me of our tropical vacations! It was the perfect blend. This recipe is a great starter for anyone trying kale in their smoothie for the first time.

Hey Joyce,

This smoothie does make me want to go on a tropical vacation too. I could totally see myself laying on a beach sipping on this.

Yum!!

54. Gayathri says:

This is simply so delicious and I can’t taste the bitterness of the kale even!

55. Emily Pyatt says:

I was nervous about the kale since it has a stronger more bitter taste than spinach, but you hit it out of the park with this combo!! Smooth and creamy, couldn’t tell that there was kale in it!!

Hey Emily,

Kale Yeah!!!! So happy we got you to like kale in your smoothies!

56. Stephanie says:

This smoothie is soooooo good! I thought coconut water made smoothies good, but coconut MILK…oh my heavens. Make this smoothie ASAP. Like now. Stop reading comments and GO!

Hey Stephanie,

Welcome to the coconut milk side! 🙂

57. Kelly says:

YUM! The mango in this one makes it so creamy

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

I have to agree!! Anything with mango is a win in my book 🙂

58. JUSTIN GREENE says:

I enjoyed the change with kale and coconut milk. I will be making this one again.

59. Sandra Simkins says:

Not my favorite smoothie. I loved using canned coconut milk for richer flavor but needed to add a small banana to bring the acidity down a notch. It was delicious after I tweeked it!

60. Karen says:

Oh my! This is the first Kale smoothie that I have really liked (not the last though)! This was excellent. Look forward to having it again!!!! Thanks!

61. Neal says:

This smoothie was delicious. Loved the coconut flavour. I used one cup of a tropical mix and added half a small banana that I had in the fridge plus some avocado.

Yummm that sounds so delicious! Thank you for sharing 🙂

62. Carol says:

Used coconut water instead of milk. Still tasted good, just not as thick and creamy.

63. Jill says:

This is going to be one of my faves! Already looking forward to repeating this. I had it for breakfast and craved it all day. I used canned organic coconut milk I got via Amazon Prime and baby kale. Sooooo good. Delicious. Thank you!

64. Steph says:

This one was very refreshing, which surprised me because i
    of the kale!

65. Karen M-A says:

The smoothie was okay. I used a very small amount of coconut milk due to the fat content. Things are starting to taste the same to me. Hoping the berries in the coming days will change things up!

66. Heather says:

I really enjoyed this smoothie. It was sweet and tropical. I used lacinato kale, which seems a bit more mild than regular curly kale. I will definitely make this one again.

67. Darlene says:

This was delicious! I love the tropical flavors!

68. Patricia says:

First kale smoothie for me. Pretty good!

69. Bonnie says:

Forgot to do the stars
    Re: used the carton of So Delicious organic unsweetened coconut milk and added a little coconut oil to enhance the coconut flavour. Like a tropical drink I would have on vacation. Wonderful on a -15C(5F) night.

Yum that sounds so delicious! Thank you for sharing 🙂

70. Bonnie says:

I used the carton of So Delicious organic unsweetened coconut milk and added a little coconut oil to enhance the coconut flavour. Like a tropical drink I would have on vacation. Wonderful on a -15C(5F) night.

71. Dora says:

Da bomb. ‘Nuff said

72. Anita says:

Five stars really enjoyed earning this smoothie

73. Amber says:

Yummy

74. Chilly says:

I use kale and spanich mix with coconut milk taste. Pretty good. definitely make again.

75. Molly says:

Not my favorite but it was still ok.

76. Shari C says:

Tastes and smells delicious. A keeper and repeater

77. Evelyn says:

I really love this smoothie and was able to get my husband and daughter to try it!! I will be making this one again!!!

78. Valerie W says:

Love the tropical flavor of this – I did use half canned coconut milk and half almond milk.

79. Jada says:

Loved this smoothie! Definitely one I will be making again!

80. Tanya says:

Yum! I am loving ALL of these simple green smoothie recipes 🙂

81. Rachel Gebauer says:

I love this smoothie, very refreshing. It was like a taste of summer.

82. Katie says:

I’m enjoying tropical heaven in the middle of a gray Midwestern January morning. Tuesday is suddenly looking a little brighter with a delicious smoothie!

83. Pamela LaBouve says:

Love this smoothie! My greens were a blend of baby kale, chard and spinach. I also substituted a banana for the pineapple because that’s what I had on hand. I use half water and half coconut milk, I like the smoothie a little less thick. Definitely will be adding this to the rotation 🙂

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

So glad you were able to make this work for you! Thank you for sharing 🙂

84. Bethany Vines says:

Yummy! I used canned coconut milk since the store I went to didn’t have unsweetened coconut milk in the carton. It was definitely the predominant flavor, so I’d like to try it with a different kind of liquid next time. Overall really good, though. Felt very tropical.

85. Cecily says:

This was such a yummy creamy smoothie, it will most definitely be put on my to make again list!

86. Theresa OMara says:

Smooth. Great flavor. Easy to make and easy to drink

87. Brenda Coates says:

I wasn’t too sure about using Kale and how it would change the flavor of the smoothie’s, but no worries; they taste amazing!

88. Emily says:

I think I will try this with coconut water next time as I didn’t love the coconut milk. Otherwise great!

89. Mil Beni says:

Article was very helpful. The smoothie, simply but delicious.

90. Kari says:

Like a tropical vacation, so good!

91. Sami says:

I was a little hesitant to try kale in the smoothie but it tasted great!

92. Donny says:

These are changing my lifestyle!!!

93. Donny says:

Delish! These are changing my lifestyle!!!

94. Jeanine Long says:

I Love this smoothie! It’s like a mini trip to the beach on a cold and foggy day!!

95. K D says:

Very tasty! I too was alarmed by the calorie total, however it’s not too surprising as there’s so much fruit in it. Used So Delicious shelf stable coconut beverage and it turned out fine. So green, smooth and tropical.

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Feel free to swap the amount of fruits and veggies to make your smoothie less sweet if you prefer it that way!

96. Beth says:

I don’t typically use only Kale in a smoothie; I always combine the kale with spinach. I was excited to try this one and was pleasantly surprised how good it tastes.

97. Liz says:

Not bad flavour, but I noticed kale tastes more powdery? Not a huge fan of that. Might have added too much, will try less next time or switch to half kale half spinach

Hey Liz,

Make sure you are removing the stems from your kale to avoid that bitter taste. If you are not a fan feel free to do half and half or swap it completely with another green of your choice!

98. Brittani Kendrick says:

The smoothie tastes great but I was alarmed to see 700 calories!

99. Debbie says:

Is this really 700 calories?!!!

100. GRACE says:

Yumm, just made this immediately — add a little of almond milk + coconut water since I am not too keen to coconut milk but they turned out so good!!! Thanks for sharing !

1 2

These are the go-to books, smoothie swag and guides for making tasty green smoothies and plant-powered meals.

Embrace a Plant-Based Diet

Take the Smoothie Quiz!

Let us help you decide what to blend today with our 1-minute magical smoothie quiz.

PRIVACY