TAKE THE SMOOTHIE QUIZ

START NOW

Let us help you decide what to blend today

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Turn Your Green Smoothie Into a Meal!

Looking for green smoothie meal replacement advice? You’ve found it! Check out these tips and our formula for turning your smoothie into the perfect, healthy meal.

Green Smoothie Meal Replacement Smoothie Booster Combos
Ready to chug that green smoothie for breakfast (or lunch or dinner)?!

Before you start replacing any of your meals with green smoothies, we’ve got a few rawkstar tips and suggestions to keep you from feeling “hangry” in between meals (hungry + angry = hangry). Don’t worry, we’ve all been there!

How to turn a green smoothie into a meal

The key to replacing meals with green smoothies is including healthy fats and proteins. Healthy fats and proteins are the way to go if you want to power up with a green smoothie meal replacement. This combo will keep you feeling full and give you the energy you need to cruise right through ’til your next snack or meal. Below are our favorite options for green smoothie meal replacement boosters:

Step 1 // Pick a Plant-Based Protein

Plant-based proteins keep your body full and give you tons of energy. They also help repair your muscles, which is perfect for that post-workout buzz. Oh, kale to the yeah!

• Hemp hearts
  • Chia seeds
  • Plant-based protein powder
  • Rolled oats
  • Tofu

Step 2 // Pick a Healthy Fat

Healthy fats protect your heart, keep your energy levels up, boost metabolism, and lower bad cholesterol levels. So please don’t skip the fats. They’re actually really, really good for you! And these ingredients below make your green smoothies extra creamy.

• Avocado
  • Coconut oil
  • Almond butter
  • Chia seeds (yep, here they are again! These babies are loaded with healthy fats and protein, making them a great everyday booster)

Part 3 // Put ’em together and this is what you get…

Healthy Fat + Plant-based Protein = Meal Replacement Boosters

Green smoothies are the perfect fast food and adding these boosters will save you tons of time in the kitchen and keep you away from any drive-thru food that will wreck havoc on your body. We want you to be healthy and strong!

Use one of these meal replacement booster combos in your next green smoothie. The boosts are measured for our delicious Simple Green Smoothies recipes, which serve 2.

• 4 tablespoons hemp hearts + ½ avocado
  • 4 tablespoons plant-based protein powder + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons almond butter + ¼ cup rolled oats
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 4oz silken tofu
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 2 tablespoons coconut oil

You can find all of these ingredients at your local store, or even order a few online. Amazon is a perfect place to stock up on hemp hearts, plant-based protein powders, coconut oil, and chia seeds.

Note: We’re proud affiliates of Amazon, so if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products we’ve used and truly believe in. So just know, these ingredients get our Rawkstar Seal of Approval.
MealReplacement-Instagram_Blank

Need a meal replacement green smoothie recipe to get you started?

We gotcha covered! Here’s a healthy filling green smoothie to keep that “hangry” feeling at bay when drinking green smoothies as a meal replacement. You got this rawkstar!

21-day cleanse: $49

SMOOTHIE Cubes: $5

DESSERTS: $15

Dig deeper into the world of plant-based eating with our helpful guides and cleanses.

More plant-powered goodness!

7-DAY cleanse: $35

Comment+

1. Joan

January 1st, 2016 at 4:49 pm

I would like to add oatmeal and coconut oil to my breakfast smoothie. How much of each should I use?

2. SGS Rawkstar

January 2nd, 2016 at 7:24 am

Hi Joan,

Perfect! Oats and coconut oil will fuel your body with a great boost of protein + healthy fats! Add 1/4 cup of rolled oats and 2 Tbsp of coconut oil.

Cheers 🙂

3. Kristin

January 6th, 2016 at 10:24 am

Before I discovered this awesome website I always made smoothies with either coconut water or almond milk as the base. I usually added spinach, fruits, plain greek yogurt for the protein, and chia seeds. I am planning on buying your book right now to get more ideas, but I feel like I struggle with finding the right combination of proteins/fats as I am new to many of the options you mention above!

4. SGS Rawkstar

January 6th, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Hi Kristin,

Thanks for reaching out + all of your support! We hope our meal booster combo suggestions above help point you in the right direction!

Reach out with any questions!

Cheers 🙂

5. Katie Betty

January 10th, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Hello! I am curious if the protein/fats measurements in this guide are for a single or double serving. I ask because many of the recipes in the 30 day challenge are 2 servings. Thank you! On day 10 of my 30 day challenge (I coincidentally started drinking smoothies before discovering your website a few days ago) and so far it’s been fantastic and super easy! Thank you for sharing such wonderful resources!

6. SGS Rawkstar

January 11th, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Hi Katie,

Great question! All of our suggested measurements are for two servings, or one recipe!

Cheers 🙂

7. Fabienne

January 11th, 2016 at 2:24 am

Hi,

I am doing the 30 day cleanse challenge at the moment, I was going to drink one for breakfast and one for lunch, but after reading this article I thought If i do start to feel hungry maybe swap my lunch one with a meal replacement smoothie to get me through to dinner time.
    My question is can I add say chai seed and coconut oil to one of your 30 day challenge smoothies, that way I can make smoothies for two days. Have x2 breakfast 30 day cleanse and x2 meal replacement?

8. SGS Rawkstar

January 11th, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Hi Fabienne,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re so excited to have you blending with us for our 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge! Anytime you’re using one of our recipes as a meal replacement, even those recipes included in our challenge, we suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure you’re fueling your body correctly. Chia seeds + coconut oil is a great combination!

Hope this helps answer your question!

9. Mariana F

January 19th, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Hey!!

Im trying to lose some extra weight..
    Do you think I can make it by replacing dinner instead of breakfast?? I was thinking maybe the sugar in the fruits could be an obstacle
    Ps. My diet is balanced, based on whole gratis, fruits, healthy fast and lots of veggies

10. SGS Rawkstar

January 19th, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Hi Mariana,

Thanks for reaching out! You can replace up to two meals with a Simple Green Smoothie, and it doesn’t just have to be breakfast. A quick heads up, green smoothies will give you a great energy boost, similar to a cup of coffee, in case you use your green smoothie as a dinner meal replacement late at night.

Worried about the natural sugars in our recipes? Each smoothie has 3 cups of fruit in it, and it is recommended that an adult has 1.5 to 2 cups of fruit a day. When you drink 16oz of our green smoothie recipe you will be meeting, or just under your daily intake for fruit. If you feel like that is too much fruit, feel free to do 2 cups of fruit in each smoothie with 3 cups of leafy greens.

Hope that helps. 🙂

11. Danni

January 25th, 2016 at 5:21 pm

How much would I use for chia seeds with plant based protein

And hemp with chia seeds?

Also I hate the crunchy pieces from coconut oil… is there any way to change that?

12. SGS Rawkstar

January 25th, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Hi Danni,

Thanks for reaching out! Looking to use chia seeds and hemp seeds in your meal replacement green smoothie? We suggest adding 4 Tablespoons of hemp hearts and 4 Tablespoons of chia seeds.

Annoyed by finding pieces of coconut oil in your green smoothie? We’re right there with you! But we’ve found a fool-proof plan! We suggest melting your coconut oil (not hot, just melted), then once all of your ingredients are blended set your blender on its slowest speed, and slowly pour in your coconut oil. This will ensure the oil is fully incorporated into your smoothie!

Hope this helps! 🙂

13. Laura

January 27th, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Hey guys, We’re adding a protein + healthy fat to our smoothies on the 30-day smoothie challenge. (Your guide to meal replacement is so helpful thank you!) My question is – do you have any advice on which combinations work best with which smoothies on that challenge? i.e. do some combos work better with the citrus based smoothies? or are some ‘no-no’ combos? Basically I’ve spent a lot on fruit and I don’t wanna spoil the taste of the smoothie by selecting the wrong combo! Thanks!

14. SGS Rawkstar

January 27th, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Hi Laura,

Thanks for reaching out. The majority of our meal replacement booster combos are very mild in flavor. The only combination you may clearly notice is adding almond butter. So it is completely up to your personal preference. Feel that almond butter wouldn’t mix well with a specific fruit, use a different protein or healthy fat in its place.

Hope this helps!

15. Lisa

February 12th, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Hi,

I noticed that for chia seeds, the nutritional info for one serving (2 tablespoons) is 8 grams of fat. Your recommendation above is to add 4 tablespoons, if I’m reading it correctly, for a protein replacement. This would give a smoothie at least 16 grams of fat. Wouldn’t you consider that to be a lot?
    Thanks!

16. SGS Rawkstar

February 14th, 2016 at 11:22 am

Hi Lisa,

Great question!! All of the above suggestions are to be added to our recipes, which all make two servings. So while you’re adding 4 tablespoons, you will only be having 2 tablespoons per serving.

Hope this helps!

17. Anna

February 14th, 2016 at 6:45 pm

I noticed that above you recommend 1/4 C oats for 2 servings, however in your book (page 87), the serving size is 1/2 C dry. Would that make 1 C for 2 servings?

18. SGS Rawkstar

February 15th, 2016 at 7:30 am

Hi Anna,

Great question!! Our apologizes if our book caused you any confusion. 1/2 cup dry oats is one serving of oats (if you were going to eat them on their own). When using oats to make your green smoothie a meal replacement we suggest adding 1/4 of a cup.

Hope that helps!

19. Amanda

February 18th, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Can i use the chia seeds as the protein and the healthy fat?☺

20. SGS Rawkstar

February 19th, 2016 at 4:33 am

Hi Amanda,

Of course! We love chia seeds because they pull double duty providing your body with protein + healthy fats!

21. Elizabeth

February 25th, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Quick Question… Simple smoothie without protein or fats is okay to replace a meal ? Like breakfast and you will loose weight ?

22. SGS Rawkstar

February 26th, 2016 at 8:25 am

Hi Elizabeth,

Great question! When using your green smoothie as a meal replacement we definitely suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure you’re fueling your body with a complete meal. Want to leave the additions out? Then our recipes make the perfect healthy snack option!

23. Deb

February 27th, 2016 at 7:47 am

I was wondering if it’s ok to pair the avocado with the plant based protein powder.

24. SGS Rawkstar

February 29th, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Hi Deb,

Of course! The above are our favorite combinations, but adding the healthy fats of avocado with protein powder is a great combination when using your green smoothie as a meal replacement.

25. Kristen

February 27th, 2016 at 9:48 am

I have just found a gem of a website! I’m planning to do the April 30-day Challenge (signed up yesterday), but I may need to start now! My mouth is watering just reading through the recipes. My kids love smoothies in the morning, but I struggle with protein. I just wrote down this chart and plan to start school day mornings out with a green, protein-packed smoothie for all of us. Now, I’m off to make my grocery list. Thanks, and keep those fabulous recipes and ideas coming!

26. SGS Rawkstar

February 29th, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Hi Kristen,

YAY! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! Can’t wait for our FREE April 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge? Check out our 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge E-Guide and take part in a challenge on your time!

27. Lee

March 2nd, 2016 at 10:00 pm

I am so loving my green smoothies! I signed up for the April 30 day challenge. I can’t and won’t wait! LOL but I am having issues with protein powder. I can’t use artificial or chemically processed sweeteners. Can you recommend an unflavored or Vanilla protien powder that only has Stevia?

28. SGS Rawkstar

March 3rd, 2016 at 8:02 am

Hi Lee,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re so excited to have you join our April 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge! Don’t want to wait? Check out our 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge E-Guide…

We’re right there with you! We love reaching for simple plant-based protein powders free of added sugar or other additives. One of our favorites is Nutiva’s Hemp Protein Powder. It has one ingredient!! Oh, KALE YEAH!!

Check it out here…

29. Mike Christie

March 13th, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Have you ever added essential oils to your smoothies. I have heard there are health benefits with oils.

30. SGS Rawkstar

March 13th, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reaching out! While we personally haven’t added essential oils to our recipes, we’ve heard many of their health benefits from our community!

Cheers 🙂

31. Kim Blades

March 30th, 2016 at 8:07 am

I’ve been doing simple green smoothies for about week now and I LOVE IT! I’ve been replacing my breakfast for a smoothie. Since I am allergic to almond, I’ve been adding the rolled oats and coconut oil to my smoothies but about 2 hours later I want to eat again! Any suggestions? Are certain fats and plant based proteins better than others?

32. SGS Rawkstar

March 31st, 2016 at 12:21 am

Hi Kim,

Thanks so much for reaching out! Everybody is so different, it may take a little trial and error to find what healthy fat + protein combos work best for you :). Also, these serving sizes are only here as a suggestion–totally feel free to add more healthy fat + protein to your smoothie or add in a mid-morning snack!

33. Isabelle

April 7th, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Hi. Just curious. Do you recommend making 1 or 2 16 oz servings when using as a meal replacement. How many 16 oz servings do you recommend for the 30 day challenge?

34. SGS Rawkstar

April 7th, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Hi Isabelle,

Thanks for reaching out! 16oz is the perfect meal replacement, but it’s also important to listen to your body. We want to ensure you’re fueling your body + keeping hangry (hungry + angry) at bay. You can replace up to two meals with a green smoothie. I personally love to use my first serving as a breakfast meal replacement + keep the second on hand as a quick-healthy snack option, especially for that 3pm low! Only want to have one serving per day? No worries, simply halve our recipes!

Cheers 🙂

35. Rach

April 18th, 2016 at 10:30 am

This may be a silly question, but do you encourage/recommend sticking to the 5 combos you listed, or would it be okay to put coconut oil with rolled oats? Is this not as strong of a combination? Does it not give you all the parts that you need to use the smoothie as a meal? Is there any reason to not put these two together?

36. SGS Rawkstar

April 18th, 2016 at 11:08 am

Hi Rach,

Not a silly question at all. These are our personal favorite combinations, but don’t let that limit you! Find a combination that satisfies your needs + tastebuds! Want to learn more about the benefits of each healthy fat + protein to help determine which combination is best for you? Check out these two posts…

37. Jim

April 20th, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Will you please reply to my email. I’m 70 yrs. (male) old and a month ago I felt I was at death’s door (a hard life, especially with alcohol) . I started using certain supplements for liver, heart etc. The last week I bought a blender and started with fruits and now mixing veg’s with fruits; I have to admit I am starting to feel better. I signed into you 30 day thing. Can you give me any advice WITH THIS MIXTURE on fighting the cravings (alcohol). I’m finding everything I’m doing helps. Quick rundown medical; I got hurt on a Navy job, ruptured 3 disc (cervical), spinal stenosis upper and lower back etc. I take pain medicine (narcotic) I would like to get off of. I get spasms (lower legs mostly), muscle problems (inflammation in the nerves). Is there anything I can to the smoothies that would help with the inflammation, spasms, etc.
    I feel like, after the reviews, if anybody knows you should and thank you, Jim

38. SGS Rawkstar

April 21st, 2016 at 7:15 am

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for reaching out + for your service to our country. A lot of our team here has connections to the military, and we are greatly appreciative of your commitment. We are also so excited to hear that you found green smoothies, and already feeling their health benefits.

I do want to share that we’re green smoothie lovin’ rawkstars all right, but we’re not doctors or nutritionists. For that reason we suggest you talk with your doctor about any health concerns— I’m sure they can help you decide what is best for you and your body.

Cheers to health + happiness!

39. Jim

April 21st, 2016 at 3:42 pm

What I was looking for is info; an example: I just found out that the problem with spasms has a lot to do with a lack of calcium, magnesium, iron. I’ve been taking a supplement (Calcium Plus 1000 at GNC, YOU NEED AT LEAST 500 mg of magnesium, 2 0r 3 times a day) for a week with a lot of improvement. Any one suffering from spasms would love to have this info. At no time did I think you were a doctor. Thanks, Jim

40. Bob

May 26th, 2016 at 1:58 am

Hi Jim,

Having been paralyzed 19 days after my 20th birthday (over 27 years ago now), I can sympathize with your spasms. While I’m not in pain, I do take meds for them. I’ve only had a blender for less than a week now and there is much yet to try but I’ve seen ingredients that help with inflammation. I’ve not tried them and as each body is different, I’m wondering if you and myself might look into these types of ingredients. I wasn’t aware of the things you mentioned for spasm relief/help. Time to do some good Google searches! 🙂

I hope you/we can find something to get us off the meds and wish you luck. If we could try things together that would be great but we are just names on here. I too thank you for your service!

Bob

41. Cami

May 30th, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Oh no. I’ve been drinking double the amount for a week when I was starting out with green smoothies! I didn’t realize 32 oz wasn’t for one person… Lol. I drink mine for dinner so I need to not be hungry later. So much for weight loss!

42. SGS Rawkstar

May 31st, 2016 at 9:01 am

Hi Cami,

No worries! While 16oz is our suggested serving, it’s all about fueling your body. We want you to feel satisfied, not deprived.

1 2 3 4 5 6
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM