Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

take control of your health for good with my incredible plant based program

year

It's not too late to...

Turn Your Green Smoothie Into a Meal!

Looking for green smoothie meal replacement advice? You’ve found it! Check out these tips and our formula for turning your smoothie into the perfect, healthy meal.

Green Smoothie Meal Replacement Smoothie Booster Combos
Ready to chug that green smoothie for breakfast (or lunch or dinner)?!

Before you start replacing any of your meals with green smoothies, we’ve got a few rawkstar tips and suggestions to keep you from feeling “hangry” in between meals (hungry + angry = hangry). Don’t worry, we’ve all been there!

How to turn a green smoothie into a meal

The key to replacing meals with green smoothies is including healthy fats and proteins. Healthy fats and proteins are the way to go if you want to power up with a green smoothie meal replacement. This combo will keep you feeling full and give you the energy you need to cruise right through ’til your next snack or meal. Below are our favorite options for green smoothie meal replacement boosters:

Step 1 // Pick a Plant-Based Protein

Plant-based proteins keep your body full and give you tons of energy. They also help repair your muscles, which is perfect for that post-workout buzz. Oh, kale to the yeah!

• Hemp hearts
  • Chia seeds
  • Plant-based protein powder
  • Rolled oats
  • Tofu

Step 2 // Pick a Healthy Fat

Healthy fats protect your heart, keep your energy levels up, boost metabolism, and lower bad cholesterol levels. So please don’t skip the fats. They’re actually really, really good for you! And these ingredients below make your green smoothies extra creamy.

• Avocado
  • Coconut oil
  • Almond butter
  • Chia seeds (yep, here they are again! These babies are loaded with healthy fats and protein, making them a great everyday booster)

Part 3 // Put ’em together and this is what you get…

Healthy Fat + Plant-based Protein = Meal Replacement Boosters

Green smoothies are the perfect fast food and adding these boosters will save you tons of time in the kitchen and keep you away from any drive-thru food that will wreck havoc on your body. We want you to be healthy and strong!

Use one of these meal replacement booster combos in your next green smoothie. The boosts are measured for our delicious Simple Green Smoothies recipes, which serve 2.

• 4 tablespoons hemp hearts + ½ avocado
  • 4 tablespoons plant-based protein powder + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons almond butter + ¼ cup rolled oats
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 4oz silken tofu
  • 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 2 tablespoons coconut oil

You can find all of these ingredients at your local store, or even order a few online. Amazon is a perfect place to stock up on hemp hearts, plant-based protein powders, coconut oil, and chia seeds.

Note: We’re proud affiliates of Amazon, so if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products we’ve used and truly believe in. So just know, these ingredients get our Rawkstar Seal of Approval.
MealReplacement-Instagram_Blank

Need a meal replacement green smoothie recipe to get you started?

We gotcha covered! Here’s a healthy filling green smoothie to keep that “hangry” feeling at bay when drinking green smoothies as a meal replacement. You got this rawkstar!

Comment+

1. Norma

June 16th, 2016 at 1:56 am

Hi
    I have just purchased a Nutribullet and will be shopping for smoothies on Saturday. I hope to replace one meal a day with fruit and greens or just greens. I see I need protein and fats to complete. I was wondering why you don’t include Flax seeds which are one of the planet’s most nutricious and antioxidant foods. I was hoping to use fresh almonds and Flax seeds or Sunflower seeds, with milk or almond milk. Will these give me the necessary protein and fats for the replacement smoothie meal? Thank you for your help.
    Norma Day

2. SGS Rawkstar

June 16th, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Hi Norma!

Thanks for reaching out! We love flax seed, too :). It’s on our list of “Top 10 Superfoods”:

Since flax seed is a great source of healthy fat, I would add in some plant-based protein powder, hemp hearts, or almond butter (or fresh almonds!) to give yourself a boost of protein :). And of course, everybody is so different, and we always recommend speaking with your health care provider or a nutritionist to determine your own personal nutrient needs.

3. Emily

July 14th, 2016 at 10:16 am

How do you get the coconut oil to blend with the smoothie? Since i have my fruits and veggies pre-measures and frozen in baggies, coconut oil never blends into the smoothie well for me.

4. SGS Rawkstar

July 15th, 2016 at 9:52 am

Hi Emily!

Thanks for reaching out! What I personally do is add the coconut oil slowly through the hole in the blender lid while my smoothie is blending at a low speed. Sometimes, I’ll still end up with some clumps of coconut oil, but far less than if I jump dump it in with all the other ingredients. I like to have my ingredients frozen in advance, as well, (I’m all about the prep!), but I usually use coconut oil during the weekend when I have a little more time to prep my smoothie with fresh produce.

Hope that helps :). Cheers!

-Rawkstar Tessa

5. Barbara Myrick

October 3rd, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I live in Florida so my coconut oil at room temp is liquid. Blends great! I checked for refrigeration after opening and there are no suggestions. So I leave it on the counter and no clumps.

6. Krista Muir

July 17th, 2016 at 10:41 am

Have I been on overload? I add 2tbs. chia, 2tbs. hemp, 2tbs.cocanut oil and avocado to my green smoothie. Could this be why I haven’t lost a pound? lol

7. SGS Rawkstar

July 17th, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Hi Krista!

Thanks so much for reaching out! We always like to remind our community members that weight loss does not happen in the same way for everyone :). It’s dependent on so many factors (age, metabolism, level of physical activity) and can be a complicated issue. Consequently, we like to encourage our Rawkstars to focus on creating healthy habits to last a lifetime as opposed to numbers on the scale. Long lasting change takes time and healthy eating is no exception. If you stick with it, you’ll eventually see results :).

8. Mariana

July 28th, 2016 at 3:24 am

Hi Krista, I’m not expert at this, but I wonder how much the fruit sugars impact on weight.

I’ve been having green smoothies for breakfast for about a month now, and when I started I also eliminated bread and cheese from my diet & added more veggies. To my surprise, now I’ve actually GAINED 5 pounds!!!!

I wasn’t eating much fruit before, so my guess is that all that sugar has distributed itself around my body. Weight loss isn’t the reason I started this, but I admit it’s an undesired consequence.

9. Nichole

July 21st, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Is there any reason not to preblend these say once a week so there is even less work at the end of a busy day?

10. SGS Rawkstar

July 22nd, 2016 at 1:00 am

Hi Nichole!

You can totally pre-blend your smoothies! If you want to blend for an entire week, we recommend blending + storing your smoothies in an airtight container in the freezer. You can defrost them in the fridge overnight, and then be sure to give your smoothie a good shake before consuming!

11. terri

July 22nd, 2016 at 11:13 am

new to smoothies and love your recipes. are the rolled oats cooked or raw? as i said new to this.

12. SGS Rawkstar

July 23rd, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Hi Terri!

Thanks for reaching out! You can use raw or cooked oats. I typically add mine raw, unless I’m making a warm smoothie (like our Apple Pie smoothie!).

Cheers :).

13. Sonya

July 29th, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Hi, I’m not sure if this was asked before as it’s quite hard to read all comments, hehe… But is it okay to switch combos? Example, avocado + Plant-based protein? Thank you

14. SGS Rawkstar

August 1st, 2016 at 8:36 am

Hi Sonya,

Of course! We simply suggest reaching for a healthy fat + protein to ensure you’re fueling your body with a complete meal.

15. Erika

August 14th, 2016 at 2:23 am

Hi! I’m a green smoothie lover but only recently am I trying to be attentive to adding protein and fat, especially after a workout. I have two questions I hope you might help with: 1) I’m confused as to the difference between hemp hearts, hemp seed, and hemp powder– is one of more benefit than the other?, and 2) I see you put almond butter under “fat,” though I’ve always thought of nut butter as both protein and fat, and in fact you include it in another article on protein sources. Any thoughts there? Thanks for any insight! I’m trying very hard not to overthink my smoothie concoctions, but my success is admittedly mixed. 😉

16. SGS Rawkstar

August 15th, 2016 at 8:43 am

Hi Erika,

Great questions!

1. There’s no difference between hemp hearts, hemp seeds + hemp powder. The terms hemp hearts and hemp seeds are used interchangeably, and hemp powder is ground hemp hearts or seeds.

2. And you’re right! Almond butter is a great source of both protein + healthy fats!

Hope this helps!

17. Beth McBetherson

August 22nd, 2016 at 7:16 am

I love these recipes and ideas! I love green smoothies but have a hard time making them more filling so this helps a lot.

I have a couple tips for people who find some recipes to be too much fruit for them for every day, or just want to up the greens but still make a tasty smoothie.

Add half a cold cucumber per serving (try both peeled and unpeeled to see what you like) to mellow out the flavor of the greens without adding a ton of extra fruit. I also find it’s easier to make a tasty smoothie with less fruit if I add half a peeled lime (I peel a bunch and freeze the halves).

Question for the simple green peeps: How do you make your berry smoothies so pretty? Whenever I combine greens + blueberries or strawberries I get a weird unappetizing brown color. Still delicious! Very NOT photo worthy. 🙂

18. SGS Rawkstar

August 22nd, 2016 at 8:26 am

Hi Beth,

Great idea! We love blendin’ with cucumber, it adds a great refreshing flavor + nutrient boost!

Your berry smoothies not so pretty? It really depends on the color of the fruit…but don’t worry. No matter the color, they’re still packed with nutrients and taste delicious!

19. Jessica

August 28th, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Rolled oats vs quick cook oats?

20. SGS Rawkstar

August 29th, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Hi Jessica,

Great question! The difference between steel-cut, rolled, and quick oats is simply how much the oat groat has been processed. Rolled oats look like flat, irregularly round, slightly textured discs. When processed, the whole grains of oats are first steamed to make them soft and pliable, then pressed to flatten them. Quick oats, also known as instant oats are the most processed of the three oat varieties. They are pre-cooked, dried, and then rolled and pressed slightly thinner than rolled oats. You can use instant + rolled oats interchangeably, and have similar nutritional value.

Hope this helps!

21. Rachel

September 6th, 2016 at 4:08 am

I was wondering what the difference is between my Hemp Protein Powder and Hemp Hearts is? I googled it to try to find out, and on a bodybuilding website (which I am NOT!) they state “HEMP SEEDS ARE A FAT SOURCE. HEMP POWDER IS A PROTEIN SOURCE.” I don’t know whether it would make much difference if I had hemp seeds along with avocado or if that is too much fat and no protein… but was just interested to hear your opinion!

22. SGS Rawkstar

September 6th, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Hi Rachel,

While we tend to reach for hemp hearts as a protein, they fuel your body as a healthy fat + protein! And there’s not much difference between hemp hearts + hemp protein powder (unless the protein powder has any additives). Our favorite hemp protein powder is from Nutiva, with one ingredient…ground hemp seeds!

23. Ge-Ge

September 13th, 2016 at 5:21 pm

I use Oriya plant based protein powder for my smoothies. It’s green too!

24. SGS Rawkstar

September 13th, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Rawesome! Thanks for sharing, Ge-Ge! We love learning about new products and what our community is blending with!

Cheers 🙂

25. Leslie

September 29th, 2016 at 4:02 pm

I am a sugar and carb addict who is not able to eat 97% of vegetables! I juice on occasion but have gained 20 lbs in the last few months and need to figure out a healthy plan! (I plug my nose in order to drink anything really green) Embarrassing! I can add spinach to a smoothie as there is no real taste to that.

Anyways, I want to live to enjoy my grandchildren longer…but I’ve messed my taste buds up big time! How do I start off simply and then incorporate more varieties as the days go by. Really want to do your 30 day challenge, but I don’t usually last that long with ANYTHING green…

26. SGS Rawkstar

September 29th, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Hi Leslie,

Looking for a great place to start? Look no further than our Beginner’s Luck recipe, it’s what got us hooked on green smoothies!

Also, have you tried prepping your green smoothies? It’s our #1 tip for success! Learn more here…

Please continue to reach out with any questions. We’re so excited to be a part of your health + wellness journey!

27. Holly

October 1st, 2016 at 9:27 am

Your tastebuds will adapt and change too, give it time. I think I read your current taste preferences are an accumulation of what you have eaten over the past couple weeks. It was true for me! I made some raw, good for you, cookies and hated them but froze them for the kids (heehe) About a month later (after switching our diet) we found them and loved them. So hang in there!

Also a trick we have learned with smoothies to “cover” the greens taste (which never worked) is to focus on bringing out the fruit flavor. So if its cherries for example, what would go well with cherries? Maybe some cinnamon or nutmeg, or oats (I was thinking cherry cobbler) We make ours about 2/3 greens and 1/3 fruit. We have also started with the reverse ratio and gradually increased the greens as our tastebuds have changed.

Good luck!

28. Starry

October 1st, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Hi & Happy October! I’ve been following you ladies & having healthy smoothies for breakfast for a solid year, but have now run into problems called allergies. Rice (my favorite staple!), banana, coconut, pineapple, strawberries — everything I put into my smoothies that I can no longer use! (Thank goodness avocado, spinach & hemp hearts are not among them!!) So I’m smh about what to use now. Not big on soy products, but am open to any suggestions. Appreciate the help!

29. SGS Rawkstar

October 3rd, 2016 at 6:49 am

Hi Starry,

Oh no! We’re so sorry to hear you’re facing new allergies. Check out our Rawkstar Substitution Guide. It may be a great place to start when looking to swap out ingredients…

Also, looking for a good option for Rice Milk? A few of our favorites are Hemp Milk, Almond Milk, and Coconut Milk.

30. Gina Gardner

October 19th, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Any suggestions for a diabetic, wanting to replace a meal with a smoothie.

31. SGS Rawkstar

October 20th, 2016 at 7:03 am

Hi Gina,

Thanks for reaching out! Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we always ask that any member of our community with diabetes check with their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies and the natural sugars are okay for their eating plan.

To help you get started here is a link to our favorite low sugar fruits. As well as, our tips for using your green smoothie as a meal replacement.

Hope that helps.

32. Jenn

November 10th, 2016 at 6:11 am

Hi- is coconut milk a healthy alternative for healthy fats to add to my smoothies?

Thanks!
    Jenn

33. SGS Rawkstar

November 14th, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Hi Jenn,

Though coconut milk is high in protein, fiber, and other micronutrients, it is also high in calories and fat. For this reason we recommend using coconut milk as a liquid-base only for special indulgences–maybe for date night desserts. This milk does help to protect your heart, but it will cost you in other areas if used on a regular basis.

34. Kim

November 18th, 2016 at 11:30 am

For meal replacement, is it okay to combine protein powder with almond butter? Both were on your lists, but not together

35. SGS Rawkstar

November 21st, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Hi Kim,

Of course! These are a few of our favorite combinations, but feel free to get creative and create your own!

36. Marly Melsh

November 19th, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Hello

If your using the whey protein powder do you still need a fat? I thought protein powder had both protein and fat in it

37. SGS Rawkstar

November 21st, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Hi Marly,

Take a quick peek at the nutritional information on the label. If you see a good source of healthy fats, then you should be ok to skip adding it.

Personally we avoid whey protein, as dairy can be pretty tough on your digestive system. For that reason we reach for plant-based proteins like hemp protein and add a healthy fat like coconut oil or almond butter.

Hope that helps answer your question!

38. Heather G.

January 9th, 2017 at 9:46 am

Just a question. I have found that alot of smoothies taste great without adding greens to them. sometimes I want just a simple strawberry banana smoothie with 1/4 avocado and protein powder and chia seeds. I have 1.5 cups of fruit in my smoothies everyday regardless if there is leafy greens in them or not. I would like to swap out the greens now and then a couple days a week to have a delicious fruity smoothie and I use water or almond milk. It would be a meal replacement also. I find that adding greens, sometimes it doesn’t taste good and I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have a vitamix and I find adding spinach, it tastes better but you can’t have spinach in every one everyday. I swap out and use kale only in chocolate smoothies with cacao powder and use beets with it too but only in that smoothie with a banana. and You can’t taste it but fruit smoothies, it is hard to hide the veggies. I have been having smoothies every morning since July and can’t seem to get it right. Any advice would be great about both questions. about just fruit and about hiding veggies.

Heather

39. SGS Rawkstar

January 12th, 2017 at 6:37 am

Hi Heather,

Adding greens to your green smoothie is all about following the right ratio of greens to fruit! It ensures your green smoothies are super tasty, without any overpowering green flavor. We follow our Simple Green Smoothie’s formula, it’s 2 cups leafy greens, 2 cups liquid base, and 3 cups fruits.

Learn more about our Simple Green Smoothie Formula here…

40. Dana

February 17th, 2017 at 8:45 am

I know you mentioned that chia seeds are both a healthy fat and a plant-based protein. I started eating chia seeds a couple years ago & try to include them in anything I can (ESP my smoothies!)…
    My question is- do chia seeds have enough of BOTH protein and healthy fats to turn my smoothie into a meal replacement without having to add something else? All of your combinations with chia seeds included something else, so I wasn’t sure if I necessarily have to add more fat (or protein) when I use them, or if it’s enough not to.
    Thanks in advance!!

41. SGS Rawkstar

February 20th, 2017 at 3:52 am

Hi Dana,

You definitely can. We like combining two different ingredients because it ups the amount of nutrients you’re receiving. But you can definitely use chia seeds to boost your green smoothie with enough protein + healthy fats.

Hope this helps!

42. Heather

March 2nd, 2017 at 9:38 pm

What about Greek yogurt? Would that work for fat and protein?

43. SGS Rawkstar

March 6th, 2017 at 5:28 am

Hi Heather,

Greek yogurt is a great option! You won’t find dairy in our recipes, as we try it avoid it for our family. If you didn’t know, dairy is the #1 undiagnosed food allergy and is pretty tough on your digestion. For that reason, we reach of plant-based proteins + healthy fats.

Love dairy and how it makes your body feel. Go for it!! 🙂

1 3 4 5 6
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Vegan Smoothie | Citrus Breeze
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies
Coconut Thai Soup
Lemon Fat Bomb Treats
The Simplest Strawberry Milkshake
Fat Burning Smoothie To Boost Your Metabolism
Best Chia Seed Smoothie to Maximize your Workout
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Beauty Smoothie time: SPA Skin Cleanser
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
Spiced Almond Milk
The BEST Green Smoothie Recipe Ever
favorite posts

Are green smoothies good for you?
HOW TO FUEL YOUR METABOLISM