Recipe for superfoods green smoothie

Amazing Superfoods List

3.11.2013

Discover the amazing superfoods from this list of my favorites that I use in my smoothies and meals.

Share the recipe

These amazing superfoods are ranked based on taste and nutrients after years of research and testing.

Confession: I wasn’t a fan of superfoods when I started blending green smoothie. I liked simple fruits and veggies that I recognized and could pronounce. Yet every few weeks, I’d get a new shipment of superfoods to my door from a company that wanted me to try their new product.

I started exploring this world of smoothie boosters. Some were good. Some bad. And some were just nasty. Yet they keep coming because the market keeps growing.

Today, I want to help you NOT waste your time and money… and stick with only the best superfoods list to enhance your smoothie. Honestly, the more fresh fruits and veggies you can use— the better. And when in a pinch or as a finishing touch, additional superfoods can take your smoothie up a notch.

Superfoods are a quick and easy way to get some serious nutrients into your body, yet stepping into the world of ingredients to make superfood smoothies can be intimidating. I’ve wandered through the health aisles of the market in a daze… wondering if these so-called super foods could possibly be worth the “super price”. But what are superfoods?

Seriously, how super could they actually be?

Turns out, pretty super. So let me break it down for you…

In short, superfoods are great for your body and great for our world. They’re all natural and are filled with many nutrients that our bodies crave but don’t receive. And because they are non-GMO + organic that means they are coming from hard working farmers who take care of their crops and the earth in sustainable ways. When using superfoods with a smoothie, the benefits are compounded by so much goodness.

Top 10 Superfoods List for Smoothies

Over the years I’ve prob tried them all in my green smoothies, and have quickly narrowed them down to my “go-to favs.” Below is my amazing superfoods list that I use daily. These ones taste the best and give me the results I’m looking for, which I will break down below. I’ll also share which ones I buy so you can check them out as well (hint: I like Amazon and I like affordable).

10 Amazing Superfoods List for Smoothies and Meals

1. Chia Seeds

If you are looking for a green smoothie staple then you have come to the right place. These do-it-all superseeds are good for your head with their high content of omega fatty acids that increase healthy brain function, but have also proven to be good for your heart by fighting high cholesterol and heart disease. They even boast a wide variety of nutrients, such as: protein, fiber, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, iron, calcium and antioxidants. Use up to three tablespoons of chia seeds in your smoothie.

BLEND ::Post-Workout Green Smoothie

2. Coconut Oil

If you are exercising for weight loss, then coconut oil will be an important ingredient for you. The fatty acids in this superfood fight body fat by converting into energy that boosts metabolism as opposed to animal derived saturated fats that add body fat. Use one tablespoon of coconut oil in your green smoothie for breakfast.

BLEND ::Pineapple Kale Coconut Oil Green Smoothie

3. Avocados

Avocados are a big part of my diet and qualify as a super food at a super price (if you time it right). We toss them in smoothies, make guacamole and often just eat them by themselves. These green gems contain almost 20 vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds that will boost your smoothie real fast and make it extra creamy. They are loaded with heart-healthy fats that will keep your skin glowing and your tummy full longer. That’s why they came in #3 for the best superfoods for smoothies.

BLEND IN :: SPA Cleanser Green Smoothie

4. Hemp Protein

At times it can be difficult to receive the proper amounts of protein and fiber that our bodies need in a healthy way. Hemp protein powder makes it a little easier boasting a whopping 50% protein content and much higher levels of fiber than soy-based protein powder. The hemp content is also kid friendly, as it encourages childhood growth through its amino acids. Athletes can also turn to this superfood for its ability to repair muscles. You can add one to four tablespoons of hemp protein, which has a much stronger taste. You can also buy hemp hearts and sprinkle one to two tablespoons of top of smoothies or add to your salads for a nutty, protein packed punch.

BLEND :: Cherry Pineapple Post Workout Smoothie

5. Cacao Powder

Cacao is filled with two things that we love: antioxidants and flavor! The antioxidants boost your immune system which helps to resist those nasty colds and sickness. The rich, chocolatey flavor is delicious and dessert-like which helps to resist those sugar cravings while still satisfying your sweet tooth. Blend two to four tablespoons of cacao powder with your daily smoothie and enjoy the warm flavors.

BLEND :: Shamrock Green Smoothie

6. Goji Berries

Perhaps one of the tastiest top ten treats are goji berries, known for their healing strength. The nutrients included in these berries are antioxidants and amino acids, but the real strength lies within their more than 20 vitamins and minerals. These precious nutrients have been used for centuries in Asian cultures to strengthen eyesight, fight against viruses, balance hormones, and even to assist with the longevity of life. Not feeling the best? Sweeten things up with 1/2 cup of these berries in your smoothie!

BLEND :: Goji Berry Orange Smoothie

7. Flaxseed

Flax seed is best known for its fatty acids and fiber. When talking about omega fatty acids it is better ask what they can’t do then what they can. This powder plays its part in proper cardiovascular and immune system health, brain function, joint function, soft skin, and more. The fiber in flax is also good for many things, but especially effective with eliminating toxins from your body. Add just one tablespoon of ground flaxseed or try whole seeds to your smoothie for a subtle, nutty flavor with more than subtle nutrition.

BLEND :: Raspberry Coconut Shortcake Green Smoothie

8. Acai Powder

A-what? This smooth superfood is popular for its mispronunciation (uh-sigh-ee), but even more popular for keeping you fiery and full. These Brazilian berries are loaded with antioxidants that boost your body’s energy and ability to focus. Their protein and fiber will also keep you feeling full making the Acai berry (or powder) a weight fighting superhero. Acai has a wide range of possibilities. Its creamy consistency and almost chocolatey flavor works well with both sweet and savory flavors by adding just one tablespoon to your smoothie. You see why it made it on my superfoods list?

BLEND :: Watermelon Acai Smoothie

9. Maca powder

This Peruvian superfood has been used in traditional healing for thousands of years. Maca is known to naturally support the body’s ability to adapt to stress and improve energy, vitality, and stamina— making it the perfect superfood for busy peeps. It has a subtle sweet taste and is a great endurance athlete superfood.

BLEND IN :: Pineapple Upside Down Cake Green Smoothie

10. Spirulina Powder

Of course, superfoods aren’t always made from glamorous plants. Sometimes they are made from pond algae, like Spirulina. Though its taste may be subpar (aka: horrible, to be honest), its high content of everything nutritious makes up for it. if you’re desperate to add more superfood greens to your diet (and don’t mind gagging it down), look no farther.

Just use a small amount to get the benefits without the pungent taste. Spirulina’s top two ingredients are protein and omega fatty acids. Use anywhere from 1/2 to two teaspoons of spirulina in your daily smoothie. I recommend starting with just 1/2 teaspoon to your favorite green smoothie recipe when getting started… if that.

BLEND :: Beginner’s Luck Green Smoothie

What’s on your superfoods list?

What is your #1 favorite superfood ingredient? Mine is def chia seeds since they don’t alter the delicious taste of the fruits AND they add a protein + Omega 3 punch. Now that’s plant-power! I wanna know what yours is now.

Share in the comments below and let’s see what’s the most popular superfood.

Oh and if you’ve never tried a green smoothie, I have an amazing 7-day green smoothie program for you to try. Its free, and I’ll show you how to make 7 green smoothies and start a healthy new habit. Click here to sign up!

COMMENTS

1. vicky says:

Hey,

Could you please tell me, to get the best benefits do you have to soak chia seeds before use or can you blend them into things as they come?

Thanks

Hi Vicky,

Great question! It’s all about finding what works for you! Chia seeds are great in that you can add them to your green smoothie in several different ways and still receive their maximum health benefits. Some great options are soaking your chia seeds, blending in, mixing in, or my personal favorite…sprinkling on top for a little added crunch!

2. LPR says:

I didn’t know that flaxseed powder was better than regular seed. How can I grind the flaxseed to achieve powder?

Hi!

Feel free to grind the flaxseed using a coffee grinder, small food processor, or an empty + cleaned pepper grinder :).

3. lauren says:

Hi Sally,

Can I premix any of the powders to add at once, or will this effect them negatively?

Thanks!

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for reaching out! Each superfood has a different shelf life so we suggest keeping your ingredients separate prior to blending!

4. Mike says:

HI there! This is a very insightful article. I make a green smoothie every morning with kale, spinach and cucumber and was wondering if adding all these to a daily drink would be beneficial or would it be too much of a good thing?

Hi Mike,

Great question! It’s all about finding what’s best for you + your body. Take the time to read through each superfood and determine what health benefits you’re looking to add to your next green smoothie!

5. sally says:

Hi There,

I am just starting out on my green smoothie journey and currently have, Wheat Grass Powder, Barley Grass Powder, Spirulina Powder, coconut oil and Baobab super fruit powder. Which of the above would you recommend I buy to compliment what I already have?

Thanks

Sally

Hi Sally,

Thanks for reaching out! Looks like you already have great sources of greens + healthy fats! Some great compliments to the superfoods you already have on hand are either cacao, acas or goji berries for their antioxidants!

While spirulina provides your body with a great boost of protein. Adding chia seeds + hemp are great options too!

Hope this helps!

6. Elmira Howell says:

Do you have any recommendation for a Green Superfood powder?

7. Lynn says:

Hi,
    Thank you for your article very helpful and i love it:) i have a question about my daily smoothies.
    Would it be ok if i put all these (detail below) superfoods on the daily smoothies?
    Green Apple, Celery, Cucumber, Salad leaf, Spinatch, Cacoa nibs, Spilurina, Goji Berries, Chia seed, Acai berries, Barley grass, Flaxed seed.
    Am i overbroad? I love them all in smoothies but too much of anything could it be harm or not? Thank you

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for reaching out! It’s all about what’s best for you + your body! Make sure and read the health benefits of each superfood to ensure you’re receiving the nutrition your body needs!

8. Tammy says:

Hello and thanks for the great info. Something I remember reading about flax…must be ground in order to access it’s health benefits. If not ground, it will pass through the body without any benefits and a waste of money.
    Love what you gals are doing!!

Hi Tammy,

You’re right! To receive the maximum health benefits of flaxseed it’s suggested to grind the seed prior to enjoying. We love adding ground flaxseed or flaxseed oil to our green smoothies for an added healthy fat boost!

9. JAH says:

Hey There,
    I am pretty new to smoothies but have become a bit addicted! I just want to know your thoughts, every morning i make two pretty identical smoothies. one for breakfast and one blend at work. I use spinach, kale and turnip greens then add a tbsp chia, tbsp hemp and tbsp flax, a tsp spirlina and a chunk of ginger, and about half a lemon then add water as needed. Does this seem like a good mix to you? Thanks for your time

Hi JAH,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us! Sounds like you have a great smoothie going. Your superfoods are providing your body with protein, healthy fats, protein, omega fatty acids, and a major immunity boost! If you are making a similar smoothie each day, make sure you’re rotating your greens to help prevent oxalate buildup. Learn more about our favorite greens + the importance of rotation here…

10. Meghan says:

Hi!
    I want to start making smoothies and I want a good start to it, my question is can I possibly use all of these for one smoothie each day? Taking out the avocado and maybe the chocolate flavored ones just to not throw off the taste. Or if there’s a good suggestion on which ones I can combine that would be great! I’m going for more of a fruity taste:)

Hi Meghan,

Thanks for reaching out! New to green smoothies and looking for the perfect recipe to start with? Look no further than Beginner’s Luck!

We love adding superfoods to our favorite recipes! It’s all about mixing and matching them to meet the health benefits your body needs! Looking for extra fruity flavor! Goji Berries and Acai are both a great choice! 🙂

11. Allison says:

That list is so helpful! But I was wondering; could you advise a newbie which are the best 3 to start with? I’m a bit overwhelmed by all 10! I am a nursing mom with weight loss on my mind 🙂 – which would be best for me

Hi Allison,

This might not be the answer you’re looking for. But as a nursing momma we suggest reaching out to your doctor first. It’s important to ensure you’re fueling your body + baby’s body correctly!

12. Paha says:

I have started making smoothies every morning. I like the health benefits, extracted from all the fruits, kale, flex seeds and coconut water. However, my smoothies lack the taste and often blend.

Question: How can I make my smoothies a little more tastier, without adding any unhealthy elements to it?

13. Richard says:

Hi just getting into smoothies and im looking for a powder that will include some/ most of these grains etc any ideas

Thanks

14. kim says:

just chiming in on the moringa – my brother introduced me to it’s health benefits and now i have the tree in the yard and i add to a wide range of items (remove stems!) including omlettes and smoothies – my daughter even eats the leaves raw as i am cooking 🙂

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for reaching out! We love hearing about different superfoods our community is enjoying!

15. Allison says:

I am wondering if there is anything on your site about coconut manna and if it is better to use than coconut oil. Or is it good to use both? Any suggestions or information would be great. Thanks.

16. Carrie says:

I am brand new to green smoothies. My goals are weight loss and lowere LDL cholesterol. What superfoods would you start with?

17. Kelly says:

Can you add more than 1 super food to your smoothie? I was thinking of adding a tsp of coconut oil and flax seed to my smoothie or perhaps avocado and coconut oil, but is that going overboard?

Hi Kelly,

You can definitely add more than one superfood to your green smoothie. It’s all about finding what health benefits you are looking to add to fuel your body. Coconut oil, flaxseed, + avocado are all great sources of healthy fats!

18. Liana says:

First thing – I LOVE your site! I’ve been trying hard to get better about what I’m putting in and on (now committed to using only organic and clean skin care) my body and working on losing weight. I already enjoy smoothies and was so happy to see this list of superfoods. Is it too much to make smoothies that have coconut oil, hemp hearts, ground flaxseed meal AND chia seeds? I’m hoping it doesn’t hurt to include them all in a single smoothie. Thanks!

Hi Liana,

We definitely suggest mixing and matching your favorite superfoods to meet you needs. So it’s important to read the health benefits of each to determine the best way fuel your body!

19. Changed says:

Hi, what is your opinion on including the avocado pit in smoothies? I have been reading that it has a ton of nutritional value.

Thanks

Hi Changed,

I personally haven’t blended the avocado pit, as it would be pretty tough on any blender. We would love to hear more about the research you’ve read.

20. althea says:

hi,
    I remember seeing awhile back a link in my email to a page here regarding the superfoods and what went well together to make a whole protein so that you can use the smoothies as a meal replacement. I was wondering if that page is still here and if so what the link is? thank you.

Hi Emily,

I personally haven’t tried moringa, but we’re always looking for new superfoods to add to our green smoothies. We’ll have to look into it more! Thank you so much for sharing!

21. Erika says:

Hi I’ve heard that Flax/linseed should not be eaten raw as they may be poisonous? What are you’re thoughts on this?

Hi Erika,

You’re right…the immature seeds of flax + linseed are poisonous. But it’s nothing to worry about, to avoid taking immature seeds, just ensure the flax or linseed product is designed for human consumption.

22. Anna says:

Hi,
    I started with one green smoothie a day a couple of weeks ago and love it! I make them at night and have them as a quicky breakfast and an afternoon snack. I have just gone the healthstore and bought some extra stuff to make the smoothies a bit more substantial. I was wondering how best to incorporate these in the smoothies. When I added the chia seeds the nigth before, the smoothie was too thick for my liking. Is it best to add these seeds, driedberries and powders as you are about the drink the smoothie and stir with a spoon? Additionally, I am right in assuming that you don’t necessarily have to ground flax seeds before you mix them in your smoothie?
    Many thanks! Anna

Hi Anna,

Yay! We’re so excited to have you blendin’ with us and love to hear you’re feeling the green smoothie love. Chia seeds are definitely best to add right before enjoying your green smoothie. Those nutritious seeds gel when added to liquid + make delicious chia pudding, but will make your green smoothie too thick if added the night before. Other superfoods options are good to add the night before!

Some argue that whole flaxseeds can pass easily through your body, therefore it’s suggested to ground the flaxseed for optimal absorption. Either way…whole, ground, or oil – your body will still be reaping their healthy fat benefits!

23. Uju says:

I am highly interested in the super foods. I live in Nigeria and can’t get the foods in here. Can It be shipped to me in Nigeria.

Hi Uju,

We love adding superfoods to our green smoothies! Having trouble locating ingredients near you? Amazon.com is a great option if they ship to your area!

24. Jak says:

Can I add Linseed, Chia and Hemp seeds together to my Green shake daily and if so what amount of each do you recommend? Also would it be more beneficial for me to add different super foods to change them up daily for a multi burst of nutrition or follow a set routine?

Regards Jak.

25. Else says:

Hi
    Should one mix all the different superfoods into one smoothie ( efficiencey:)) How many times a week should one use camu camu, maca, spirulina, beepollen etc.
    Pleased to hear.

Hi Else,

Great question! It’s all about finding what works for your body. We suggest reading through the health benefits of each superfood + reaching for what your body needs. I’m always looking to add protein to my green smoothies, especially while training for an upcoming 10k, so I rotate between spirulina, chia seeds, + hemp protein throughout the week. Camu powder becomes a regular in my green smoothies once cold + flu season picks up, as my body is craving that additional vitamin c. Hope this helps you decide what is best for you! Reach out with any questions.

26. Marie says:

Am I right in thinking Flaxseed powder comes under healthy fat when using as a meal replacement? I’m just trying to work out what to pair it with

Thanks Marie

27. Alexis says:

Thanks for the info on these superfoods. Ordered hemp and cacao powder (from Amazon).

28. Trish says:

Will I get weight loss benefits from using coconut water instead of coconut oil? I already use the water as my liquid, and wonder if adding the oil would be overkill 🙂 Thank you…so glad I found your site!!

Hi Trish,

Great question! Coconut water + coconut oil provide very different benefits for your body, so it wouldn’t be redundant to include both in your next green smoothie!

Coconut water is packed with electrolytes and potassium, making it a great natural sports drink, + the perfect liquid base for your green smoothie!

Coconut oil comes from the meat of the coconut, + is packed with nutrients! Coconut oil is comprised of medium chain fatty acids that help promote weight loss, increase immunity, + fight infections.

Using coconut oil outside of your smoothie, it also has antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties, making it ideal for a facial moisturizer, deodorant and for soothing sunburns.

Learn more about our love for coconut oil here…

29. Rebeca says:

Nopal is also very good. In this blog it appears:
    Should include wishlist

30. Doug says:

Good List. I wish I like coconut and avocado, but still plenty of good foods to choose from on this list.

Hi Doug,

We all have our favorites. If you’re not a fan of coconut or avocado, which are your favorite superfoods to reach for?

31. Inga says:

Good Morning!

I’m from Germany and found you’re nice blog per Google. We have a blog, too an talk about superfoods. Any German guys here? Then visit our Blog! 😀
    We have some interesting lists of superfoods for different purposes e.g. superfoods for weight loss 😀

Have fun and stay clean!!

32. Joy says:

Hello, could you include suggested super foods in each smoothie recipe please? Thank you!

Hi Joy,

Thanks for reaching out! We’ll definitely chat with our team about your suggestion, in the meantime…experiment, the above superfoods are a great addition to any green smoothie!

33. Rohit Chopra says:

SUPERB! we can also go with these top rated Reviews that gives you amazing ideas to lose weight:

34. sandi says:

Good morning to you, from a cold South African morning,

Thank you so much for this website. It is winter here by us, so we do not have mangoes in season now. Please advise, what other fruit, will be the best replacement.

Hi Sandi,

Thanks for reaching out! When our favorite fruits are out of season we love reaching for frozen fruit, it allows us to enjoy our favorites throughout the entire year, and adding at least one frozen fruit ensures our smoothie is chilled to perfection! Can’t find frozen mango, no worries, we’ve got you covered! Papaya + kiwi are both great substitutes for mango.

35. sandi says:

Hi,
    when using the super 10 foods, do I use one product per smoothie, or can I use one or two different ones together.

36. Lizzie says:

Hi there! I study nutrition and was just wondering why you state that coconut oil doesn’t have saturated fats? In fact, it has one of the highest saturated fatty acid contents out there!
    Cheers

37. Jackie says:

I love trying all these different smoothies, and thankfully, so does my 4-year-old! I’ve never tried any other superfood other than chia seeds, so I would like to start including them. However, I also have a 4-month-old baby that I am nursing. Do you know if any of the mentioned superfoods should be avoided while breastfeeding?

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for reaching out! While breastfeeding + green smoothies are usually a perfect match! We’re we’re not doctors or nutritionists. We suggest you talk with your doctor about any health concerns— I’m sure they can help you decide what is best for you and your body. Cheers to health + happiness!

38. Rose Ranocchia says:

True, chia seeds have a variety of nutrients for health !. But should report on possible negative effects (“if they occur”).
    I say this because I read an article that some people have side effects when they consume these chia seeds. http://semillasdechiahoy.com/5-contraindicaciones-de-la-chia-y-sus-efectos-secundarios/

Otherwise very good article and I thank you for the information needed.

Hi Rose,

Thank you for sharing the article! You’re correct, like any food, individuals with specific allergies or health concerns should avoid adding chia to their smoothies.

39. chris b says:

Why is it not ok to consume all of these things in one shake?

Hi Chris,

40. Jennifer says:

Hello, My name is jennifer and im interested in adding these top 10 super foods to my diet. I make two blends a day and want to introduce these into my life. Could it be harmful to use all 10 items in the same blend. what im wondering is….do all 10 ingredients coexist in one smoothie or will they neutralize each other…or spread them out threw out the week?

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for reaching out! Adding all 10 superfoods into one smoothie would provide your body with much more than the suggested daily requirements of protein, healthy fats, + antioxidants. It’s important to read the benefits of each superfood + add them based on what you need to add to your diet. Is your diet missing out on protein, add a serving of chia seeds or spirulina. Looking to add additional healthy fats to your diet add a serving of avocado, coconut oil, or flax seed.

41. Caren says:

When you add fresh ginger, do you peel it first or throw in as is? And how do you store it so it doesn’t dry out? I’ve been doing my green smoothies every morning for 1-1/2 months now and I LOVE them!! Yesterday I added 2 fresh basil leaves … AMAZING flavor! I love reading all these comments and questions, thanks.

Hi Caren,

Thanks for reaching out! We suggest peeling your ginger prior to blending! My favorite way to peel ginger is to scrape the edge of a spoon against the ginger to peel off the skin.When storing ginger store the whole, unpeeled ginger root in a resealable plastic bag, with the air pushed out, in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator. If part of the ginger has been cut or peeled, be sure to blot it dry with a paper towel before storing.

Yum! We love blendin’ with basil + other herbs! 🙂

42. Cecily says:

Has anyone ever tried adding pepita seeds (pumpkin seeds) to their smoothies?

43. Melanie says:

Hi ladies,

I use coconut oil for cooking and baking but because it solidifies so quickly, I struggle to include it in my drinks. Is there a trick to avoid oily chunks?

Thanks,
    Mel

Hi Melanie,

You’re right! Coconut oil solidifies quickly, and can leave chunks in your smoothie. To help prevent this… with your blender on it’s lowest speed, slowly drizzle in melted coconut oil (melted, not hot!), after you’ve blended the rest of your smoothie. This will help prevent any clumping.

Hope this helps! Cheers 🙂

44. Nadia says:

Have you heard of Moringa? If so have you considered using it in your smoothies?

45. Corina says:

Do you have recipes with ginger? Hav’nt seen one yet? Just wondering what to mix it with so it’s not too strong. Thank-you

46. Jutta Thomes says:

Hallo,
    I need a List of Prices and a German Konversation….Is this possible?
    I want more Infromations about your Products and the Prices to buy.
    Thanks J. Thomes

Hi Jutta,

We currently don’t have the capability to ship outside of the United States, so our products are priced for the U.S. dollar. But we try to use products + ingredients that are available throughout the world.

47. claudia says:

Hey there-What are your thoughts on wheat grass? Curious why I see wheat grass “shots” offered at Whole foods and other juicing shops but dont really see that for other greens?? I recently purchased a bag of frozen wheat grass shots (organic) and was told that it loses its nutritional value rather quickly when frozen or sitting in the frig. It seems like it has some amazing nutritional value but is a tricky one. Would love your thoughts. Thanks

Claudia,

While we haven’t included wheat grass in our smoothies, wheat grass has some wonderful nutritional benefits!

• Caren says:

I have been putting fresh wheatgrass in my smoothies this week, tastes great!

48. Micah says:

Hi Your main web site starts up incredibly slow for me,
    I am not sure who’s issue is that although twitter and facebook
    starts up fairly good. Anyways, I need to say thanks for
    putting awesome content. Almost everyone who
    came to this site must have observed this informative article seriously very helpful.

I ought to point out that you have done fantastic work with this
    plus expect to discover many more great content from you.
    After looking at the article, I’ve book-marked your webblog.

49. Carol says:

Can I use steel cut oats rather than rolled? If so how much would I put in? Should I mill them?

Hi Carol,

Of course you can use steel cut oats rather than rolled. Because of their coarser texture some people like to soak them prior to blending. I believe milling them would help with the coarser texture as well. Enjoy!!

50. Julia says:

I love green smoothies! Some days it is the only way I get any nutritional food into my family. I would like to add to the above list one superfood “green” that we add to our smoothies for its amazing health benefits: Radicchio. It is an amazing “new” superfood that is often overlooked: https://radicchio.com/what-we-grow/nutrition/

51. Jermaine says:

Hi! Can you please tell me whether a smoothie would have good nutritional value if I do not add spirulina and avocado to the recipe? Additionally, should smoothies preferably be consumed in breakfast or can I consume it at anytime of the day. On the site https://benefitsofjuicing.net/starting-day-right-breakfast-smoothies/
    the author talks about how good it is to consume smoothies during breakfast as it is ‘an important meal’ however I for a fact don’t have time in the morning to make a smoothie and the best time for me to make one would be in the evening when I get back home from work; so is it okay if I consume a smoothie at night? Hoping for a reply from you soon 🙂

Hi Jermaine,

Our recipes are here to inspire you — you don’t have to follow them to a T. Yet we do think they are mighty tasty! Feel free to use other green smoothie recipes and even make some up yourself. The key to making green smoothies your lifestyle is making it easy and part of your daily routine.

You can drink it anytime. Just be ready for an evening energy boost. When I drink green smoothies at night, it’s like coffee for me. 🙂

52. Debi says:

I tried to make the chocolate pudding with chia seeds and let it sit overnight. In the morning the chia seeds had sunk to the bottom of the jar and the mixture wasn’t thick ..

53. Kristina says:

Do you have recipes that show the super foods in the lost of ingredients and how much to use. I didn’t see any of these ‘superfoods’ listed in your smoothie ingredients and I want to incorporate them into my smoothies. I’m just not sure which ones (all?) nd how much?

54. Kim says:

Can the 10 superfoods be combined in one serving?

55. kay says:

Every time I try using cocoa powder to my smoothies it does not blend well at all,it actually floats in it.Do you have any suggestions?

56. Bridie says:

Hi there! What is your view on buying spirulina and acai in supplement form as its not always tasty / convenient to add to a daily smoothie?

57. Sandra Jones says:

No mencionaron la MACA

Hey Sandra.

Maca is a tricky one. We have tried it in the past, but there is a lot of links with fertility. We try to offer ingredients that are safe for the whole family.

58. Sandra Jones says:

No se mencionó la MACA..?

59. Robin says:

Wandered over here from Bless this Mess… Thanks for all the great information! Didn’t know avocados or coconut oil were healthy. I have to admit I’ve always kind of written off “superfood” as a buzzword, so it was nice to have the detailed breakdown of what’s in this stuff that makes it so healthy.
    Just starting to plan my garden this year, maybe I’ll throw in some flax and hemp. Hope my neighbors don’t call the cops on me.

60. Veronica says:

Hi! I’m just wondering about juicing and breastfeeding…will toxins be released in my breast milk if i start juicing? thanks!!!

Hi Veronica.

Thanks for your comment. Every mom and baby nursing experience is different, some babies are sensitive to certain food items. At this time we only have blending recipes.

61. Julia says:

Hello England calling!

Just come upon your website and I must say it’s brilliant! Just about to start our smoothie adventure which we are all excited about (but I must admit a little nervous!) but reading this has helped break it down into small chunks or baby steps to start with! Looking forward to a healthier happier husband and children and a slimmer healthier me!! Thanks for this keep it up!!xx ps I dont usually leave comments so u should be proud!!

62. chris duncan says:

This is a fantasic blog! I do have a general question though: when adding chia seeds to a smoothie, should one soak them before adding to the smoothie or just dump them in dry?

Hey Chris!

Thanks so much for the compliment. Either way works. I like sprinkling my on top of my smoothie or soaking a for a few minutes before I blend, then blend them right in. 🙂

63. Lotte says:

Hi there lovely people!!!
    First of all I want to share that you guys are doing an amazing job!
    The 30 days green smoothie project is very healthy, educational, challenging, a very inspiring distraction for me from the 9am to 6am challenge I face from Monday to Friday ;-), interesting,… and all that FOR FREE, brilliant…
    I can`t wait for the challenge to start :-). I had a few questions;
    I was thinking about substituting a daily meal with a simple green smoothie and wanted to ask you what you could recommend to add (and in which quantities) to the already existing ingredients to transform it into a healthy delicious meal.
    Or do the ingredients of the simple green smoothie already consist of a good meal?
    A healthy cheers to the green smoothie project and thank you for this fascinating site and challenge!

Hey Lotte.

Thanks for reaching out to us + blending with us!! 🙂 This is not a fast or a restrictive diet, so you can eat regular meals during this challenge. We are making healthy lifestyle changes that will last a lifetime! Our goal for you is to drink at least one 2-cup serving green smoothie a day in addition to your regular diet. If you would like, you can replace 1 or 2 meals with green smoothies. If you drink green smoothies as meal replacements, make sure to add a protein boost (plant-based protein powder, nut milk, nut butter), or snack on some nuts or a hard-boiled egg 30-60 minutes after you drink your green smoothie. Here is a link to our favorite plant based proteins. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/plant-based-diet/protein-powder-for-smoothies

64. Shadeema says:

Hello,

I’m going to the store to buy things you guys suggested for the green smoothies. I’m totally scared of the taste but I’m a new diabetic so I’m glad to make healthy changes.

65. Helen says:

In regards to Super Foods, I have some ground LSA (Linseed, Sunflower & Almonds) is this ok to use in my Green Smoothies, if so how much should I use for a single serve Smoothie? Thanks

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hi Helen. I would suggesting using the recommended serving size in 16oz as a meal replacement. 🙂

66. Megan says:

am I supposed to soak the chia seeds before adding? I saw you talk somewhere about it making the smoothie creamy, or using it in place of bananas? Please clarify 🙂

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Yes, you can soak chia seeds before. 🙂 It will become a gel like consistency.

67. Sally says:

I have purchasing different super foods one at a time to add to my smoothies because they can be expensive if you buy them all at once. Was very excited to buy some goji berries and use them in my daily smoothie. But they taste awful. They are bitter, not sweet at all. Do you think I got a bad batch? Hate that I wasted my money. Almost bought cacoa nibs and now I wish I had.

Hey Sally.

Thanks for the comment. Goji berries should be semi sweet, but not sweet like a dried blueberry. If you have a Whole Foods near you, ask if you can sample in their bulk section to compare what you bought.

If in doubt call the number on the back on your bag and speak with them. Healthy food isn’t always the cheapest on the wallet. Best wishes.

68. LeTreay says:

I would love to try one of the superfoods like, coconut oil, flax seed or spirulina. Do I add these before or after blending?

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Hi LeTreay!
      You can add them to your blender or top your green smoothie with them. Things like flax, chia taste great on top of your smoothie but also great blended. 🙂

69. Melissa says:

Jen and Jadah!! I love your website, it is so helpful and I am obsessed with green smoothies and all your guidance, tips, and recipes! I cannot wait to incorporate some of these awesome super foods into my morning smoothies.

Just one thing….
    “And because they are all natural that means they are coming from hard working farmers who take care of their crops and the earth in sustainable ways.”

HOLD UP. That is not what that means.

When food companies market food as “all natural” that only means they are created from natural ingredients. However, these ingredients may still be extremely processed and unhealthy (i.e. all natural potato chips). “All natural” foods are not necessarily organic or GMO free and it definitely does NOT mean that they are sustainably farmed or that the farmers are being paid a fair wage.

Just want to make sure everyone has got their terminology down so we can all make educated and healthy choices, green smoothies and beyond!

70. Sally says:

Quick question…I purchased some coconut oil, chia and flax seeds. If I want to add one to a smoothie recipe, how much should I add?
    Thanks!

• SGS Rawkstar Shauna says:

Hi Sally,
      A couple tablespoons is great! I would switch things up a bit to see if you like the taste of all of them together. I personally use 2 tbl coconut oil and then swap in chia seeds one day and hemp hearts another. But just see what you like and try to rotate if it starts to taste a little funky. 🙂

71. Vanessa says:

Looking forward to starting the challenge in January, I have read all your info pages and a lot of comments but still have two questions.
    1. Do the smoothies in the challenge include recipes that have each of the superfoods, herbs, liquid bases and greens you have mentioned? So newbies know what the best combinations?

2. I would like to know if you use aloe vera gel from the plant as an ingredient at all? I’ve seen a few other sites & videos use it and recommend it as a superfood but its not here in your list here. Why not?

Thanks!

Hi Vanessa.

Our recipes for the January Challenge will look like this:

Pineapple Upside Down Cake | serves two
      2 cups fresh spinach
      2 cups almond milk, unsweetened
      1 cup pineapple
      1 cup cherries, pitted*
      1 banana

*Other fruit can be used, such as berries.

directions
      1. Blend spinach and almond milk until smooth.

2. Add remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth. Enjoy!

*Use at least one frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.

If you are drinking green smoothies as a meal replacement we suggest adding a protein to your smoothie.

Feel free to mix and match the superfoods and proteins as you wish.

You are more than welcome to use aloe vera. We only promote items we personally use, so that is why you don’t see if on here, but if that is something you would enjoy, go for it. 🙂

• Vanessa says:

Thanks for your reply Jessie. What I would like to know is do you guide us as to which of these superfood could be added to which smoothie as a suggestion. I imagine not everything combines well for ideal taste or texture with every smoothie. Also to start with a couple that combine well whichwould you rrecommend?

72. Sue says:

Very interesting reading here. It’s given me some hope. My son has never really learned to chew lumps and hates the feeling in his mouth. He has been on powdered milk formulas, such as Endure, since birth. He has acute rheumatoid arthritis and is mentally challenged. He is 17 and 152cm tall and weighs 38kg. I want to take him off powdered milk products. He will drink almost anything. What can you suggest? I want him to have a good liquid diet of protein and carbs. Thanks in advance. 🙂

73. Sue says:

Great job you hit all points and combined it into an amazing program. I am presently traveling but Am tempted to buy your program.
    I am presently having some intestinal challenges. I need more fiber in my diet. Any suggestions?

Hey Sue.

Thanks for the comment. Leafy greens like spinach, kale, swiss chard are all great sources of fiber. 🙂

74. Neil says:

Which ones would you recommend to help with tiredness and energy?

Great article btw!

Hi Neil.

Try adding Cacao Powder and Nibs, it always gives my husband a boost of energy. 🙂

75. Sheila says:

Thanks for all the great recipes. I can’t wait to try them. I am about to receive a Ninja with Auto IQ and am so excited to start making green smoothies. I have a few of the superfoods already in my home. I have some frozen fruit as well. I was also happy to see the pre-prep how to page on here. I really wanted to comment about how many people are taking your super healthy recipes and ideas and wanting to go way over board with them. I have doing some research regarding smoothies and their benefits as well as looking at the best blenders. Mine will be a Christmas present from my son. He is super awesome. Anyway, the article was dead on when it mentioned how people tend to take something good and immediately start finding ways to make it bad. Replacing all meals with smoothies is not a good idea and could turn toxic. We are designed to chew our food and should. There are many sources of information regarding the value of eating vegetarian as well as the danger of going completely raw. So many of your commentors fall in the “lets take this way too far” category. I’m sad for them. I am looking for a healthier lifestyle, maybe because I’m older. I have liked veggies for most, not all, of my adult life. (junk food junkie) I am overweight, tired, can’t focus, depressed, etc.etc… I am looking forward to making healthy smoothies and I will be visiting here often for tips and recipes. I need to know how to store the extra serving, and for how long, different flavor ideas, pre-prep ideas and so on. I will also try to take the 30 day challenge. Thank you for creating such an informative site! BTW, I have made a few smoothies but my current blender is of the cheap, low wattage kind and you more or less have to chew them. LOL.

Hi Sheila.

Thanks for reaching out to us. We love hearing from our community. We are super excited that you are receiving a new blender for Christmas! That’s awesome, what a great son! 🙂 Answers for your questions: Some people say you have to drink it “right away” to get the optimal nutrients from each blend. But if left in the fridge over-night for one to three days, the taste and satisfaction is still there. You also may add a small amount of lemon juice to preserve and keep the smoothie blend as fresh as possible. Your body is still reaping the benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables even if it is not consumed right away. Also if you would like to prep ahead, here are our tips. 🙂 https://simplegreensmoothies.com/plant-based-diet/frozen-smoothie-packs

Cheers + Happy Blendin’!

76. Vivi says:

10 points for the pronunciation of Acai!! Very funny
    Super helpful post. Now I know how much to add and what they are good for. Thanks!!

77. Alex says:

Hey!

How many of these super foods is ok to use in one smoothie? If I want to use all of these, what would be the best way to do it? The chia is already a staple in my smoothies, now I’m going to start adding the coconut oil, is adding a third one every once in a while too much?

Hey Alex.

We would suggest listening to you body, if two is going great, then try three if you would like. It is up to you! 🙂 Cheers!

78. bellanira says:

I’m just starting on the green smoothies since they removed my thyroid due to papillary thyroid carcinoma and still have to go into radiation anyways I want to eat healthier I’m scared of gaining weight or going hypo..do I have to add Chia, coconut oil and all the other things at the same time and what about the flax seeds it’s not the same as Chia seeds?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Thanks for the comment, Bellanira. You have come to the right place we are all about making healthy lifestyle choices. 🙂 Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies are for them. Please add 1 serving of 1 superfood to any smoothie. 🙂 Please do not add all of them at one time. 🙂 Cheers.

79. Natalia says:

Great list but I have a substitution recommendation! Acai is from the rainforest, but a berry called Aronia (aka Black Chokeberry) is native to the US, and usually grown as an ornamental hedge. This berry hasmore antioxidants and anthocyanins than its tropical friend, easy to grow, and the leaves give a beautiful red color to the garden in fall. Dont have a yard? Go out and urban forage, or pick then up at the health food store 🙂 Environmentally better as well.

Hey Natalia.

Thanks for the comment and for the suggestion. I haven’t heard of Aronia before, I will have to check it out. 🙂

80. Autumn says:

Where do you find these items?
    I know where to get the chia seeds, flax seeds, avocado, and coconut oil, but where do you find the other items?

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Hi Autumn. Thanks for reaching out to us. Please click on the green link after each Superfood that states ” Buy Acai Powder” or “Buy Camu powder.”

81. Virginia says:

I have a question about chia seeds-I have been putting 1-2 tablespoons of it in my smoothies and blending them in-is it healthier to just sprinkle them on top and consume them whole, rather than blending them?

82. Penny Dancer says:

FYI – goji berries are a nightshade food — for those allergic to nightshade family they cause achy joints.

83. emily timothy says:

I love your site!! I use it often and am so impressed how you sincerely response to each post. Keep up the great work!! One thing that would be helpful is to the site is have a search button on the page. Sometimes I have a fruit or veggie or something I want to put into a shake and wish I could type in the name of it and the recipes with that item would come up. Just an idea!! 🙂

• SGS Rawkstar Jessie says:

Great idea, Emily! We are working on a search and ‘on hand’ section to better serve our community! Thanks for bring this up! 🙂 Happy Friday!

84. Seth says:

For cacao I use Crio Bru! It’s basically nibs, but ground more finely so you can brew it into a drink first and then you can throw the brewed grounds into a smoothie and get the rest of the nutrients. It’s so perfect.

85. Emily says:

Do y’all use just one of the ten or use more than ones? I want to try some, but don’t know which to add!

Hey Emily.

Try using 1 at a time, then once you have tried a few you can mix and match. 🙂

86. gladys says:

just wanted to say thank you for the article it helped me a lot to understand the benefits and also to start using them, i signed up for the 30 day green smoothie challenge already and im looking forward to see the benefits of switching to a better life style!

87. Janet Carmichael says:

I am able to go to the bathroom but I have no energy yet but I have bean only take it for two and half weeks

Hi Janet.

What’s great about green smoothies is they are packed with leafy greens and fruits, which means they’re high in fiber and will help move things a long in your body. You have to also watch what you’re putting in your body too. Drink lots of water, avoid processed and fried foods, and always check with your doctor if you need medical advice. Everybody is so different. How many times a day are you drink green smoothies and what amount? This is not a fast or a restrictive diet, so you can eat regular meals during this challenge. We are making healthy lifestyle changes that will last a lifetime! Our goal for you is to drink at least one 2-cup serving green smoothie a day in addition to your regular diet.

88. janet says:

I have been doing green smoothies since April.2013.
    I have a vitamix. What do u think of adding these to the green smoothies.
    Sweetleaf,sweeter.
    I also use alond milk.1/2c. and I blast I use 1 scoop of Green max powder .
    Also, I Have Hempseed. and i was thinking,instead of useing whey, i like to try o use my Hemp seed and make it into a powder and have that in place of whey[Wish i love.
    How much should i use? 1 scoop like i use whey just seems it would be alot and cals. to high.
    Right now the whey i use is 1scoop for 90cals. and it is ny Swansons.
    Any tips.

Hi Janet.

Thanks for the questions. We do not add any sweeter into our smoothies, the fruit is sweet enough for us.

Hemp Hearts may look little, but they contain 10 grams of plant-based protein and 10 grams of omegas per 30 gram serving.

89. Susan Thompson says:

How much avocado should I put into my smoothie each day for the most benefits ?

90. Susan Thompson says:

Can I use all of these products once a day in my shakes ?
    Or should I use 2 per day to cover all ten for the week ?

Hey Susan.

Thanks for the questions. We do not suggest you putting all of the 10 super foods in your smoothies in one day. If you are new to super foods, pick 1 or 2 to start with. Test them out, do you like them blended or sprinkled on top? Then try another one. They will change the taste and consistencies, it is better to do one at a time so you know which ones you enjoy the best. 🙂

91. Caroline says:

Hi!
    Do yall include all of these superfoods in your smoothies at once or would that be overload!!

Hey Caroline.

Thanks for the question. Not all at once. 🙂 We like 1 or maybe 2. 🙂

92. Patricia K says:

I have just given myself a push and started a new healthy lifestyle and have been looking for some healthy ingredients to put inside my smoothie recipes. your article has helped a lot.
    Thanks Pat 🙂

93. Pat says:

Hello, I usually make a smoothies with superfood green powder, strawberries, banana , pineapple, super cocao, super maca cinnamon, honey, coffee,soy milk, chin seed, joji berries. I use all together it’s too much for me or not I just 1 cup every morning and if I drink a smoothies I have to do an exercise or not.

94. Elaine says:

I’m experimenting with superfood additions and have bought chia, flax and hemp seeds to add to smoothies. I just made a smoothie using all three, am I going overboard? Do I need all in together or should i just use one or two at a time?

Hey Elaine,

Thanks for the comment, if you are new to superfoods, I would suggest trying one at a time, then you can figure out what you enjoy most. After that, you can combine and find the best combination for you. 🙂

95. Adzam says:

I have been trying green smoothies for breakfast for the last few days, and have noticed that I do not feel hungry during lunch.
    Is there any risk if I skip lunch or do the smoothies have the required protein, etc in it to allow me to skip lunch as well as breakfast?

Hey Adzam!

Thanks for the comment. How much are you consuming for breakfast? Our smoothie recipes make about 4-5 cups (32oz – 40oz). Jadah drinks at least 2 cups (16 oz) everyday in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement. Jen drinks hers for lunch or sometimes as a mid morning snack Since green smoothies are full of fiber, they keep us both full for a while. If either of us needs afternoon pick-me-ups, we have been known to make another green smoothie later in the day instead of drinking a caffeinated beverage.

96. Pam says:

ok, ignore my last comment…..just reread about the individual ingredients and saw the suggested amounts. Sorry, and thanks again!

97. Pam says:

I need measurement suggestions. I did see it fort the goji berries, but how much for chia seed or some of the others. I have a recipe for a chia seed pudding and it calls for 3-4 tbsp. depending on the consistency you want, but that seems like a lot for a smoothie. Please help me, I am a recipe follower until I am comfortable using an ingredient new to me ;-). Thank-you!!!

98. Emma says:

I am just building my life into a situation where the Smoothies will be second nature to me. Yet I have type2 diabetic. Do I need to know different ingredients for my smoothies? I’m really excited to get started!
    Thank you both.

99. Jess says:

I thought to really get the benefit of flax you had to use the grounds. As I understood it, the seeds don’t break down in the body. I’m sure it would be easy enough to add the grounds to a smoothie but I was wondering if you’ve heard this too. Thoughts?

Hey Jess!

Thanks for the question. We enjoy flax as the ground form. When taking flaxseed as a SuperFood, the University of Maryland Medical Center advises using it in its ground form, and then taking between 1 and 2 tbsp. per day. Hope that helps.

1 2 3
popular recipes

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE
DIY FREEZER SMOOTHIE PREP ON A BUDGET

7 DIY NATURAL REMEDIES
get my go-to

Our go-to natural remedies to boost your immune system, crush your next cold and help ease congestion quickly.

IT'S FO'