Let’s give a round of applause for cacao—the superfood hero of this green (yes, we know it looks red) smoothie! Where does it get that lovely red color, you ask? Why a little bit of beet! (Don’t worry, you can’t even taste it.)
Cacao (unsweetened raw cocoa powder) is the perfect ingredient to add to green smoothies when chocolate-y cravings hit, but we love it for more than just its taste. Cacao is high in phenols, which means this smooth + rich superfood helps to prevent clogging of arteries in your body. Bottom line? Cacao keeps your heart beating strong for the long haul!
Read our list of the best heart-healthy foods out there that we love to add to our green smoothies.
We think you’ll fall in love with this gorgeous, healthy, Red Velvet Green Smoothie – perfect for sharing with someone you love!
Red Velvet Green Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup strawberries - frozen
- 2 medjool dates - pitted
- 2 tbsp beet - raw or cooked
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Blend spinach and coconut milk until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream, if desired.
- Use frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.