Tropical Skin Cleanser Green Smoothie

Tropical Skin Cleanser Green Smoothie from the Fresh Start Cleanse

This Tropical Skin Cleanser is one of the most beloved green smoothie recipes from Fresh Start: A 21-Day Plant-Based Cleanse. It’s so simple, and oh so good!

Every morning during my seasonal 21-day whole foods plant-based cleanse, I down a green smoothie filled with leafy greens, fruits, veggies, detoxifying herbs and natural liquids. I pack it full of green goodness and watch the transformation happen.

Translation: glowing gorgeous skin comes from green smoothies!

This smoothie’s designed to naturally detox your body without leaving you feeling deprived… and still taste great!

Cilantro is a powerhouse herb that binds to heavy metals in the body and pulls them out naturally. Initially, your skin can get worse as the detoxing process begins. You may see more acne, yet don’t give up! If drink this daily and follow a plant-based diet, your skin will transform before you eyes.

I love the natural sweetness of the pineapple. It’s also known to help those days where you spent too much time in the sun. It happens to us all and we pay for it always! This smoothie will help repair your skin quicker and reduce the symptoms of a sun burn.

I hope you blend it and love it as much as I do! And I’d appreciate a review below once you’ve made it and experienced the “glow.” Happy blending!

Tropical Skin Cleanser Green Smoothie from the Fresh Start Cleanse

Tropical Skin Cleanser Green Smoothie

• Author: Jen Hansard
  • Yield: 1 smoothie 1x
  • Category: Smoothie
  • Method: Blending
  • Cuisine: American
  • Diet: Vegan

Antioxidants help to prevent and repair damage to body tissues, our skin included. Vitamin C is one of the greatest antioxidants we have available, and it’s abundant in pineapple. The addition of avocado brings with it other skin-specific nutrients such as vitamins E, A and zinc. In fact, you could probably use this smoothie on your face as a beauty treatment! // serves 1

• 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 cup coconut water (unsweetened)
  • 1 cup pineapple (frozen)
  • 1/4 avocado

1. Blend spinach and coconut water until smooth.
  2. Add remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth. Enjoy!

*Use a frozen fruit to make smoothie cold.

Keywords: cleansing smoothie

Wanna try a whole foods, plant-based diet?

If you want whole, healthy meals laid out for you for 21 straight days, AND if you love this Tropical Skin Cleanser green smoothie recipe, then you HAVE to join Fresh Start right now! Seriously, what are you waiting for?!

Tags: ,    /   Categories: Recipes, Smoothies

By: Jen Hansard | Updated: 4.30.2015 | COMMENTS: 105

COMMENTS

1. Bonnie says:

Just made it and it is DELICIOUS!!! My new go to smoothie.

2. Celine Ageless Cream says:

Very well written article. It will be supportive to everyone
    who usess it, as well as me. Keep up the good work –
    can’r wait to read more posts. https://justpaste.it/4oi7f

• SGS Rawkstar Carissa says:

Hey Celine,

Thank you so much for leaving such a thoughtful comment!

Hope you enjoy our other articles πŸ™‚

3. Roz says:

I’m always looking for a smoothie blend that’s good for the skin. I’m not a big fan of avocados, though. I will have to swap it for flaxseeds or chia seeds.

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hi Roz,

Swap in a healthy fat that you love. Like you said, flaxseeds or chia seeds can both be great options! Coconut oil is another great choice too!

4. Sonya says:

What fruit can I substitute the avocado with? Also can I drink this smoothie everyday for breakfast to help with my skin?

• SGS Rawkstar Amanda says:

Hi Sonya,

Looking to swap out the avocado, swap in another healthy fat you enjoy! Two of my favorites are coconut oil and flaxseed oil. Learn more about them here…

You can definitely blend this recipe several times a week for glowing skin. Just make sure + switch up your leafy greens to prevent oxalate buildup. You can learn more about the importance of rotating your leafy greens here…

5. Krista Wooley says:

Yummmm!! One of my all time favorites. The texture is awesome and the taste is super delicious!

6. Fidel says:

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon every day.
    It’s always useful to read articles from other writers and use something from other sites.

Hi Fidel,

Thanks for your support and we’re happy we could help you learn more about green smoothies!

7. Sandy says:

Can you use pomegrants in smoothies?

Hi Sandy,

Pomegranates are a great addition to your green smoothie! In addition to being high in antioxidants, they are also a good source of potassium, folate, vitamins C and K, and fiber, if the full seed is eaten.

Check out one of our favorite recipes here…

8. Nathalie kay says:

Helloo, anything whats a good replacement for spinach

Hi Nathalie,

We love switching up our leafy greens! One of our favorite substitutes for spinach is kale. They both have a mild flavor but are packed with nutrients!

Learn more about our favorite leafy greens here…

9. Katie says:

This is my favorite!!! I always feel like I’m vacation when I drink it! πŸ™‚

Hi Katie!

Thanks so much for reaching out + for your kind words! We’re so happy to have you as part of our community :). This recipe was definitely inspired by some of our own tropical vacations! Sometimes you just need to feel like you’re on the beach!

Cheers :).

10. Mary Mustafa says:

I cannot eat bananas…what is a good replacement for them in these smoothies?

Hi Mary!

Thanks so much for reaching out! Feel free to swap out the banana for any fruit that you love :). Avocado is my personal favorite banana swap (it helps keep the creamy texture!), but pineapple, mango, and peaches or nectarines are also great substitutes!

Cheers :).

11. Heather Sell says:

Hi! Coconut water is expensive and I can’t afford it. Are there any cheaper alternatives? Also, while this recipe doesn’t call for it, are there dairy free alternatives to Greek yogurt for the recipes that call for Greek yogurt?

Hi Heather,

We’ve got you covered! Water is the perfect substitute for coconut water, and easy on the wallet. Learn more about our favorite liquid base options here…

And don’t worry, you won’t find dairy in our green smoothie recipes. It’s all about finding what works for you + your body, but for us we prefer to avoid dairy and reach for alternatives like coconut and almond milk.

12. Kiki says:

Hi, do you know how many calories/kj this smoothie is per serve? Thanks

Hi Kiki,

We personally don’t count calories, so we don’t include them in our recipes at this time. You’ll find that when you consume more nourishing whole fruits and veggies, you will not only feel full longer, but you’ll also have lessened cravings for high-calorie, nutritionally empty foods. So in the end it balances out. But we know many people would like to have calorie info. Three great resources for tracking calories are Self Nutrition Data, and the phone apps: My Fitness Pal and Lose It.

13. Bianca says:

Hi,
    I am so excited to start my free 30 day challenge. I was wondering if I can substitute almond butter for peanut butter? I also suffer from constipation and wanted to know if there is anything I should avoid putting in my green smoothies?

Hi Bianca,

We’re so excited to have you blending with us! Of course you can swap in peanut butter! Peanut butter + almond butter occupy similar niches in a healthy diet, and can often substitute for the other in most recipes! We love nut butter made from almonds because it contains more vitamin E and iron than peanut butter, but we love both!

Worried about constipation? The leafy greens + fiber in our recipes are perfect for helping you keep regular! Ensuring that you drink plenty of water with your green smoothie will help too!

14. sheena says:

Hi
    I purchased the smoothie recipes a while ago and I cant find them on my computer or email. Can you please resend them to me. My email might have been [email protected]
    thanks
    Sheena

Hi Sheena,

We want to get those recipes to you right away! Send a quick message to our team at the link below…

15. Heather Sell says:

I have leftover guacamole (it’s a little spicy but not too spicy). What would you recommend adding to a smoothie if substituting guacamole for plain avocado?

Hi Heather,

Yum! Adding a little spicy guacamole sounds like a tasty idea. No need to add anything else. If you find your smoothie too spicy, you can always add a little more fruit to help balance the flavors.

16. Natalie says:

Hi please can you help me I have been cutting my fruit up & freezing it but then when I take it out of the fridge some of it has turned bad, what is the best way to make the smoothie as I don’t have time in the mornings to start cutting fruit

Thanks in advance

Hi Natalie,

Oh no! We hate hearing that your fruit is turning bad in the freezer. How are you freezing your fruit? We suggest slicing up your fruit, and then placing on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Once frozen, store in an airtight freezer-safe container or prep your smoothies! Some fruit will experience browning like banana, apple + avocado. But don’t worry the taste + health benefits are still there!

Learn more about prepping your green smoothies here…

17. Shelley says:

Hello, I have just found your site, and also signed up for the 30 day challenge. I am hoping to start this week after making a trip to Sam’s on Wed. I have 2 questions, all your recipes make enough for 2 servings. Do you not recommend halving the recipe to make just 1 serving, or does it matter? Also, I was reading about your 21 day cleanse but it states it is not available right now. Is that a book that I need to order that is just out of stock or how does that work? Thanks so much!

Hi Shelley,

Thanks for reaching out! We’re so excited to have you join our 30-Day Challenge! You’re right all of our recipes make 2 servings, because we love sharing the green smoothie love with others. Know you only want one serving? Simply halve our recipes!

We’re so excited to hear you’re interested in our Fresh Start 21 Day Cleanse. We’re currently revamping our cleanse to ensure we’re providing our community with the best resource possible! We’ll be relaunching our cleanse at the end of January, we hope you will join us!

Want to be the first to know when our cleanse is available? Make sure and sign up here…

Cheers πŸ™‚

18. Isabel says:

Hi! Does the pineapple have to be frozen or can I use pineapple fresh from the store?

Hi Isabel,

We suggest using at least one frozen fruit in each of our recipes to make your smoothie cold + creamy!

Cheers πŸ™‚

19. Breanna says:

Hi!
    What can I use instead of avocado? I love in Jamaica and avocado is seasonal so it’s not available right now. Can I use coconut oil? What other options can I use to help clear my skin?
    Thanks for your tips!

Hi Breanna,

We love using avocado because it’s packed with healthy fats! Coconut oil is a great substitute! Learn more about our favorite healthy fat sources here…

20. Kisha says:

I have frozen pineapple juice, can I use that instead of the actual fruit? Or does it have to be the fruit?

Hi Kisha,

Great question! We love using whole fruits in place of juice so you’re receiving health benefits from the whole fruit. When juicing you’re missing out on a lot of the fiber we love in our recipes!

21. Stance says:

Listen guys, I have a quick question I’m hoping someone on this website can help me with. I’m new to juicing although I’ve been enjoying store bought smoothies for years! (Tropical Smoothie, Bolthouse Farms and Naked Green Goodness Smoothies) Because of how delicious the Naked Juice Green Goodness smoothies are specifically I was all in on purchasing my own machine.

The recipe’s on this site sound delicious and I just signed up for the 30 Day challenge.

Here’s my issue. I have a Nutribullet Pro and while I’ve only used it a handful of times, I’m having great difficulty getting my concoctions to turn out as thoroughly blended as what’s shown in the pictures. As a matter of fact, there are always little bits of parsley or spinach floating throughout the mixture which I need to chew in order to get down.

Now, I’ve been blasting with water only up to this point and plan on introducing almond milk, but wonder what else I need to do in order to insure that my blended vegetable/fruit mixtures come out as smooth and appetizing as the ones in the pictures.

I’ve tried researching this on the net, but have thus far not come up with anything conclusive.

Any and all help is appreciated.

P.S. I know that I don’t have one of the Vitamix blenders, but, at present, that brand is a bit above my price range.

Hi Stance,

Thanks for reaching out, we’ve got you covered! First, you don’t need a pricey blender, you’ve got a green smoothie rawkin’ machine at home! I personally love my NutriBullet and wouldn’t trade it for the world!

Our #1 tip for blending creamy smoothies without leafy pieces is to blend your leafy greens + liquid base first. Once your leafy greens + liquid base resemble a juice consistency add your remaining ingredients. Adding at least one frozen fruit will help too!!

Check out more tips here…

And just a quick FYI for using your NutriBullet. To ensure everything blends perfectly halve our recipes and add a little additional liquid base to create a creamy delicious green smoothie!

Hope these tips help!!

22. Vonetta says:

Just made this to kick off my green juicing for the New Year – used cucumber instead of avocado and added ginger. Yum!

Hi Vonetta,

Yum! We love blendin’ with cucumber! We hope our recipes are a great addition to your 2016!

Cheers πŸ™‚

23. Judith says:

Can I make these smoothies with a slowjuicer also?

Hi Judith,

Of course you can! We love blendin’, as you’re fueling your body with the whole fruit with no loss of fiber. Learn more about the difference between blending and juicing here…

24. Monica says:

Hi,
    I was wondering what can i substitute pineapple with? and it’s my first time cleansing to lose weight .. do i take the same smoothie same day? how many times?

Thanks a lot πŸ™‚

Hi Monica,

Thank you so much for reaching out! Looking to substitute pineapple? Try orange, grapefruit, or mango. This recipe is part of our cleanse, check out the full cleanse here…

Interested in using your green smoothie for cleansing + weight loss? Try adding herbs to your favorite recipes. Learn more about our favorites detoxing herbs here…

You can also replace up to two meals with a Simple Green Smoothie. Our co-founder Jadah lost over 25lbs in three months by replacing one meal. Check out here story here…

If you’re using your green smoothie as a meal replacement we suggest adding protein + healthy fats to ensure you’re fueling your body with a complete meal. Learn about our favorite meal replacement combinations here…

Hope this helps! Reach out with any questions!

25. Christina says:

Hi

If I don’t have coconut water on hand can I just use water or do part coconut water and part water?
    Thanks

Christina

Hi Christina,

We love coconut water in this recipe because it’s super-hydrating + packed with electrolytes. Don’t have coconut water on hand? No worries! Water is a great substitute!

Cheers πŸ™‚

26. Lara says:

Hi, love this site! Can I use kale instead of spinach in this smoothie?

Hi Lara,

Of course! We love switching up our leafy greens. Check out our favorite greens here…

Cheers πŸ™‚

27. Karen says:

Hi! I LOVE your story and this site! I am look forward to beginning the 21 day journey. #rawkon

Hi Karen,

YAY! We’re so excited to have you as part of our SGS Tribe!! Keep us updated throughout your Fresh Start 21 journey!!

28. Sylvia says:

Hi! Can this smoothie be “skin cleanser” even if I use soya yogurt instead of avocado and coconut water? Should I change quantities? thank you

Hi Sylvia,

Using yogurt and coconut water in this recipe will create a delicious green smoothie, but we love avocado in this recipe because it’s packed with antioxidant carotenoids for healthy skin, vitamin C + E, and moisturizing monounsaturated fatty acids. Looking to improve your skin health? Check out our post on obtaining glowing skin here…

29. sarah says:

Hi. I love this smoothie. Thanks for all the recipes.
    Sarah

30. Jaz says:

Hi

Can I add Greek yogurt or flavoured yogurt into smoothies?

Hi Jaz,

Of course! Adding yogurt is a great way to add protein to any green smoothie recipe! We personally don’t add cows-milk yogurt to our recipes, as dairy is the #1 undiagnosed food allergy and can be pretty tough on your digestion. For that reason, we reach for almond milk or coconut milk yogurt! But it’s all about finding what’s best for you + your body!

Cheers πŸ™‚

31. jane says:

are you saying coconut water is more hydrating than tap water?

Hi Jane,

Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and potassium, which are two nutrients your body craves when expending lots of energy. It’s low in calories, fat, and sugar meaning that this is the liquid-base you want when working out to help refuel + rehydrate your body! We call it nature’s gatorade!

32. Kristina says:

Dear authors, I love this recipe! I added a pear today and I also put tahini butter, rolled oaths and a little bit of chia seeds to make it a meal!

This week I have started to drink two smoothies a day and I feel great – very fresh and energized in difference to when I eat something with more carbs. And it saves me a lot of time to take care of my health, which I need! This is the best win-win!

Thank you for supporting this great site!

Hi Kristina,

Rawesome!! We love your additions! Pears add a great sweetness + rolled oats will keep you full + satisfied as they maintain your blood-sugar level + they’re slow to digest (perfect for preventing a hungry tummy).

Cheers to being a total meal replacement rawkstar!!

• http://goanalyze.info/novayagazeta.ru says:

I can’t give up on Sweden–some of the best hockey players in the world come from there! Just look at my Detroit Red Wings!!The team has many Swedish players. Stanley Cup anyone!

33. Heather says:

Can I use regular water and substitute coconut water for coconut oil?

Hi Heather,

Great question! Filtered water is a great substitute for coconut water (both are super hydrating and great for your skin), + no need to add coconut oil unless you’re looking to add extra healthy fats to our Tropical Skin Cleanser Green Smoothie!

Cheers πŸ™‚

34. Mona says:

Wonderful smoothie recipes. Everyday morning I am having kale, banana and berries mixed smoothie. I feel very fresh. Can I add raisins or dates to my green smoothie?

Hi Mona,

Looking to add raisins or dates to your green smoothie? Go for it! They’re the perfect way to sweeten up your favorite smoothie recipe!

35. Louann Snowley says:

Hi,
    I have enjoyed the Beginners Luck Smoothie. I made it, froze half of it, drank the other half. Have you ever put carrots green tops in a smoothie?

Louann

Hi Louann,

We love carrots greens, have you seen our Beginner’s Luck recipe with tops?

Learn more about our love for carrots here…

36. Rochelle says:

hii I’m new to the green smoothie movement and was wondering whether using packaged frozen fruit is as beneficial as buying regular fruits and cutting them up myself? I’m really amped to get this July challenge going πŸ™‚

Hi Rochelle,

We love using fresh + frozen fruits, both offer a great nutritional tasty boost to any recipe! We suggest adding at least one frozen fruit to ensure your smoothie is creamy + chilled to perfection!

37. Kathleen says:

My whole family drink green smoothies now. They are called Hulk drinks around here. My son(6) gave them the name. we make it with frozen mango, coconut oil, banana, baby spinach, and apple and water and ice as the base ingredients and add extras sometimes of sorrel, mandarin, pear, lemon juice and parsley.

Hi Kathleen,

Hulk Drinks, WE LOVE IT, and we especially love sharing our green smoothies with Little Rawkstars! Keep blendin’ those leafy greens!

38. Jennifer says:

Im super interested in keeping my skin hydrated and healthy. I am allergic to pineapples, is there another fruit that I could subsitute or another shake to try? Thanks so much!

Hi Jennifer,

Allergic to pineapple, we’ve got you covered! Mango, grapefruit, + mango are all great options! We love to put our best face forward, and that means skin health! Here are a few of our favorite tips for glowing clear skin…

39. Lori says:

I’m allergic to coconut, what would you recommend in place of the coconut water? Just plain water?

Hi Lori,

If you’re allergic to coconut, swap in another liquid base you love! Water is a great option! Here are some of our other favorites…

40. maru says:

hi there just wondering my 17 month old can take little sips of these smoothies? she just won’t eat vegetables and trying to look for other ways so she can have vegetables in her diet

Hi Maru,

Thanks for reaching out! We love sharing our green smoothies with little rawkstars! When your child is that young, we suggest checkin’ with your pediatrician first! If they give you the go ahead, check out our tips for sharing green smoothies with your little ones here…

41. Paula says:

looks amazing! please visit my blog – just posted a green smoothie recipe πŸ™‚ https://enjoybypaula.wordpress.com/2015/05/28/recipe-tropical-green-smoothie/ πŸ™‚

Hi Paula,

Looks delicious, and your blog looks beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing! πŸ™‚

42. colleen says:

Hi, I was just wondering if you can make green smoothies in advance and store them in the fridge for a day or two or do they lose nutritional value if you don’t drink them straight away?,
    thanks

Hi Colleen,

Some people say you have to drink it β€œright away” to get the optimal nutrients from each blend. But if left in the fridge over-night for one to three days, the taste and satisfaction is still there. You also may add a small amount of lemon juice to preserve and keep the smoothie blend as fresh as possible. Your body is still reaping the benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables even if it is not consumed right away.

43. Cortez says:

I love you all! I started doing nutritious smoothies just 4 days ago as my breakfast. I usually don’t like solid foods in the morning. I am so grateful that I had already liked your Instagram page months ago. My first smoothie was the TROPICAL MANGO-RITA.I just substituted the spinach for kale–my favorite veggie!! Thanks sooo much!! I’m going to try this one now. I have eczema, and am going to be getting some shea butter, African Black Soap, and then drink this smoothie. I am sooooo excited!!! y’all are uber-motivating me!! Thanks.

44. Nima says:

Hi I am new to your smoothie site will I be able to lose my weight if I go on green smoothies for one meal substitute ?

Hi Nima,

Everyone is different! Our co-founder Jadah lost 25 lbs in 3 months by replacing one meal with a Simple Green Smoothie!

If you want to burn fat, you want to include plant-based smoothie ingredients that have the following weight loss effects:

-Jump start your digestion
      -Burn excess fat
      -Reduce and expel bad cholesterol
      -Provide energy for your cardiovascular system
      -Detox and hydrate your body
      -Promote healthy bowel movement
      -Decrease your appetite for processed foods and sugars

The Kiwi Berry Punch is a low-calorie, nutrient-dense smoothie recipe that combine the best fruits and veggies for an optimal approach to healthy weight loss.

The best part about a green smoothie–you can use a smoothie as a low-calorie meal replacement because they are full of fiber which keeps your body feeling fuller longer.

45. Alana says:

I think I’m missing something…is unsweetened coconut water the coconut water w/out flavor? I don’t see anything that says unsweetened

Hi Alana,

Yes, unsweetened coconut water has no added sweeteners or flavors~ All coconut water will contain some sugar because it’s naturally occurring in the coconut, but we just want to make sure you’re not reaching for anything that has had any additional sugar added to it!

46. Teresa says:

Hi girls!
    I love your site and I’m in love with the green smoothies since last month. I’m very thankful for your job, you girls are just so sweet!
    But I have a problem with my smoothies. I don’t know why but their texture isn’t smooth (like on your photos). There are always this kind of larger pieces that haven’t been blended. The reason could probably be my blender, which is very old, couldn’t it? I just wanted to ask, because I can be doing something wrong. I always blend the liquid and leafs first, as the recipes say. Then I add the rest of ingredients, I blend the whole smoothie for about 3 minutes at maximum speed. And it never looks so smooth e.g. as the “Tropical Skin Cleanser” on the picture above…

Hi Teresa,

If blendin’ your leafy greens + liquid base first isn’t working for you, it might be that your blender is starting to lose it’s strength. Including frozen fruit can help achieve a smoother consistency, and help breakdown any remaining leafy greens. Hope this helps!

• Teresa says:

I’ve tried adding frozen fruits and it’s so much better. Thank you very much! πŸ™‚

• SGS Rawkstar says:

That’s great to hear! πŸ™‚

47. Richa says:

if spinach is not on hand does kale provide the same benefits?

Hi Richa,

If you like spinach then you will like kale. They are both known for their wide variety of nutrients, mild taste, and availability in your local markets.

48. prathama says:

Is there any substitute for coconut water. I reside in Baku, it isn’t available here. Thank you

Hi Prathama,

The key to making Simple Green Smoothies work for you, is finding ingredients that are easily available in your area. Feel free to replace coconut water with one of these great options…

49. Izzy says:

I know you all are great about saying just to substitute what we like, or leave something out of a recipe if we need to, but I was wondering specifically if you had a recommendation for a good avocado substitute. I am allergic to avocado, but I would still like as many of the nutritional benefits as possible. Thanks!

Hi Izzy,

Banana is a great substitution for avocado to achieve that creamy texture! You can also add a healthy fat in place of avocado to receive similar health benefits. Here are a few of our favorites:

Cheers πŸ™‚

50. Cheyenne says:

Love love love you gals and your wonderful smoothie recipes, videos, and being so real… thanks for all of caring, your detox for 21 days was so great too!

Hi Cheyenne,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We’re so thankful to have you blendin’ with us!

Top 7 green smoothie recipes ever!
HOW TO MAKE A MEAL REPLACEMENT SMOOTHIE