This delicious whole foods vegan sweet potato recipe is addictive! If you like crunchy, creamy and flavor galore— you will love this recipe. It’s straight out of Fresh Start, a 3-week cleanse that embraces whole foods, clean eating and plant power.
Choosing to eat more plants and less meat, can be a drastic change to your body and mindset. It can be tricky finding meals that nourish and satisfy your cravings. This recipe is one that hits both of those categories. Here’s why…
- The dijon mustard adds fun flavors that surprise the tastebuds
- The warm sweet potato is creamy and sweet.
- The sunflower seeds add a salty crunch.
How to bake sweet potatoes
When it comes to baking sweet potatoes, you’ve got options. Instant Pot, crock pot or the oven. I lean towards the oven so the outside can crisp up ( I am the texture queen. )
- Scrub the sweet potatoes with a brush and water.
- Poke the potatoes with a fork or knife multiple times to allow air into the potato while cooking.
- Set on the middle of the oven straight on the rack. (I love tot put a layer of tin foil on the bottom rack to catch the drippings).
- Cook for 45 minutes (or until soft to the touch and stuff is oozing out of the holes). That’s the gooey sweet goodness that let’s you know it’s ready.
How to make vegan sweet potato recipe
This recipe looks incredibly decadent, yet really only takes 30 minutes to prepare. It’s a bit of chopping and mixing, but most of the work happens in the oven as the sweet potatoes cook. Feel free to double the recipe and reheat the potato for leftovers the next day… that’s what I always do.
Follow the step by step directions below to make this recipe now.Print
Enjoy this vegan sweet potato recipe that is filling and helps balance your blood sugar. They’re also packed with vitamin A, B vitamins, potassium and fiber. They provide the perfect base for this delicious kale slaw, which is screaming with nutrients that help stimulate digestion and absorption. The only downside to this meal? It’s so delicious, it’s hard to stop at one potato.
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 cup fresh kale (stems removed and shredded)
- 1 cup red cabbage (shredded)
- 1 cup carrots (grated)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- black pepper and sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, place shredded kale, cabbage, and grated carrots in a bowl. Cover with the avocado and seeds.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, and mustard. Add to the shredded vegetables and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When sweet potatoes are finished baking, cut a slit in the top and pour the salad generously on top.
Keywords: Vegan sweet potato