The best and easiest ginger switchel recipe with Meyer lemons, raw honey, freshly grated ginger and apple cider vinegar. The last few years, coconut water has been touted as nature’s gatorade (which I do love!)… yet the switchel has held this title since the 17th century.
This refreshingly hydrating drink is used by woman as a hot flash remedy, by farmers to keep them hydrated while working the fields and by myself on a hot summer night down here in Florida. I’m excited to share this recipe with you today!
What is a Switchel?
A switchel is a beverage that dates back to the American colonies ( 17th century!), while some credit the Caribbean as its birthplace. Both sound like a great story to me! Switchel is also called haymaker’s punch and is a truly refreshing drink made with:
How To Make Switchel
To create your own batch of switchel, you need to combine apple cider vinegar, sugar and water together. Literally, that’s a switchel.
I try to avoid cane sugar since it’s highly refined and void of nutrients. Thankfully, there are many wonderful natural sweeteners that taste delicious and are nutritious as well you can use in any switchel recipe.
- Blackstrap Molasses: One of the most nutritious sweeteners made from sugar cane or sugar beet. Blackstrap molasses is a good source of iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup comes from boiled down tree sap. It contains manganese and zinc and adds lovely flavors.
- Raw Honey: Raw honey contains enzymes, minerals, and vitamins.
Yet you know how much I love flavors, so I prefer to jazz it up with more flavors. Here’s some ideas that I think would be tasty:
- lemons and ginger
- pomegranate and blueberries
- peach, maple syrup and vanilla
My switchel recipe below makes 4 servings, which you can use as your framework. Store in a quart size mason jar in the fridge. When you need something to cool you down, pour a cup of this over ice.
3 Ways to Cool off This Summer
If you’re struggling with hot flashes or just hot nights, that can be the worst! I remember being pregnant with my daughter in the thick of summer. My body temp was always on high. And now living in Florida where hot and humid are all we get in the summer, I’ve come to rely on a few hacks to cool me off:
- Make this Switchel Recipe and serve over ice.
- ChiliPad Mattress Cooler (this pad regulates the temperature and I sleep so much better— my husband and I both use it)
Learn more in my article, Natural Remedies for Hot Flashes.Print
Blend up this refreshing switchel recipe to help cool off, naturally. Perfect for those pregnancy hot flashes, menopausal women or just a hot summer night.
- Place all ingredients, except water in the jar of a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a quart-size mason jar and add water. (If desired, instead of adding water to the jar, keep as a concentrate and dilute just before serving with still or sparkling water.)
- A regular lemon can be used in place of the Meyer lemon.
Keywords: vinegar drink, apple cider vinegar, switchel