The Index

Rawk out here too...

Plant-BaSed GuideBOOK
Metabolism workshop
7-DAY Summer Reset

7 Days. 7 Smoothies.

Simple 7

Hey there! I’m Jen Hansard, mom of two, ultra runner and lover of green smoothies, coffee & tacos. I took my family's health into my own hands while broke and without health insurance...and have helped 1 million+ other families along the way.

Summer 7-day reset
Weekly MEAL PLANS
Accountability
ADVENTURE RETREATS

year

— SUMMER SALE! —

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep

Make Ahead Smoothie Prep Guide

Are you ready to RAWK your green smoothie world a little more? The next step to adopt on your road to leafy green health and happiness is making your daily smoothies ahead of time. Prepping your smoothies shaves off precious extra minutes in your morning routine, plus it puts the kibosh on any other excuses that stand in the way of you sipping on some healthy green goodness.

How To Make Smoothie Freezer Packs Ahead of Time

Make ahead smoothie prep really does help me save time in the morning. I love not having to think about cutting up fruit or accidentally running out of smoothie ingredients. I love pulling out my recipe cards and getting to work prepping smoothies for the week (or month!) and the best part is that it only takes a few minutes to do.

Let’s get started!

A month of smoothies in an hour!

Step 1: Have your ingredients and supplies ready.

Here’s what you’ll need:
-our Daily Blends, green smoothie recipe app!
-measuring cups
-quart bags or canning jars (regular or wide-mouth)
-marker
-fruit and leafy greens

Make sure the leafy greens are washed, spun or patted dry, and ready to go.

green smoothie prep: what you need to get started

Step 2: Slice or cut fruit into chunks.

smoothie prep: cut fruit in small pieces

Step 3: Label bag and jar lids with name and date.

Be specific. You might also want to include how much of which liquid gets blended with each smoothie pack. (I keep my recipe cards handy for this purpose also.)

smoothie prep: label bags or jars

Step 4: Measure out the ingredients and pack into jars or bags.

Remove as much air as possible from bags when sealing closed. Pack fruit and greens tightly into the jars and screw on the lids.

smoothie prep: measure out ingredients

smoothie prep: layer fruit in jars or bags

Step 5: Place in freezer.

Don’t pack too tightly together. There should be some air circulation. That will help the contents to freeze quickly.
smoothie prep: place jars and bags in freezer

More Green Smoothie Prep tips:

• Cut fruit into smaller pieces and freeze ahead of time on lined baking sheets or use packaged frozen fruit. This will help keep the fruit and leafy greens from freezing together in a large clump and the smoothies will blend more easily.

• Before blending, thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.

• Store greens and fruit separately, if desired. Pack washed and dried greens tightly into freezer bags or jars. Due to the nature of the freezing process, you will need to measure out slightly less frozen greens than fresh.

• Smoothie packs will keep for several months in the freezer, but are the very best quality when used within 2-4 weeks.

• If hoar frost forms on the fruit and greens, it is still perfectly safe to consume. It can be rinsed off with lukewarm water.

• Store smoothie packs away from foods with strong odors. Glass jars offer the best protection against odors.

• Smoothies can be blended and then frozen until ready to use. Just defrost them in the fridge the night before you are ready to use. Some separation might occur, but the smoothies will still be fine to consume.
make ahead green smoothie packs for freezing

HEADS UP! WE WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. IF YOU PURCHASE A PRODUCT THROUGH AN AFFILIATE LINK, YOUR COST WILL BE THE SAME, BUT SIMPLE GREEN SMOOTHIES, LLC WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION. YOUR SUPPORT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND HELPS US SPREAD THE GREEN SMOOTHIE LOVE. RAWK ON!

Comment+

1. John

June 10th, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Can you freeze Ball Jars? Mine are 24oz mason jars.
    Thanks

2. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 11th, 2014 at 7:16 am

You can freeze MOST ball jars, John. This page may help you:

3. Jade Gardiner

June 14th, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Hi,
    what oz jar do you use?
    Thanks!

4. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 16th, 2014 at 1:15 pm

All different sizes, Jade 🙂 The larger the better when freezing ahead of time!

5. Jade Gardiner

June 27th, 2014 at 10:58 pm

What size jar is in your photos? 🙂

6. Jessica

June 23rd, 2014 at 8:38 am

How do you keep the fruit from turning colors when freezing?

7. SGS Rawkstar Dan

June 23rd, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Sometimes you can flash freeze some of the fruit on a tray before adding it to the jar, Jessica!

8. Joshua

June 28th, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Hi. Just wondering, I’m going to start this tomorrow and was wondering if I could prep my smoothies and the thing is I wake up early but can’t blend in morning. Have a new baby.(have to be quiet). So Can I blend the night before and drink all 32 oz that morning. I get to work at 6 and would like to drink half and then again at 8 drink the other 16oz. Would that be okay? Or would that be drinking too much? Or should one recipe be two different meals?

9. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

July 3rd, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Yes Joshua! Feel free to blend the night before (I do it to. I’ve got a 2 month old) and just seal it up tight and give it a good shake in the am. Hope that helps! 🙂

10. Glates

June 28th, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I would like to know if the smoothie (1/2 of your recipes) as a meal replacement is all that you have. I find that I am hungry wanting to eat something else. I am taking the challenge on the 1st, so how can I be successful if I am hungry?

11. Cindie

July 3rd, 2014 at 4:22 am

I am a Flight Attendant. I am sometimes flying 4 days in a row. How do I keep the smoothie thing going when I’m not home to blend daily?

12. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

July 3rd, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Cindie — Can you blend ahead of time and keep them in the freezer or fridge? You can drink them up to 2-3 days and just be sure to give them a good shake.

Hope that helps!! 🙂

13. Cindie

August 16th, 2014 at 6:20 am

Thank you! I will put it in 4 different disposable containers. One for each day! Looking forward to healthy flying.

14. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 17th, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Safe travels!

15. Glates

July 3rd, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Can anyone help me with an answer?

16. Karen

July 3rd, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I rarely use the smoothie as a meal replacement except occasionally on weekends when I would normally skip breakfast completely.
    Instead I do a smoothie right after getting home from work to hold me until I can make a decent dinner or as a snack in the evening to avoid other snacking that is much less healthy for me.
    Hope that helps.

17. Glates

July 3rd, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Thanks Karen for the advice. I appreciate it…

18. Laurie

July 3rd, 2014 at 7:54 pm

For meal replacement you may want to add some protein powder, chia seeds, oatmeal, or avocado they all help you stay fuller longer.

19. Glates

July 3rd, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Thanks Laurie. I will try that…

20. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

July 3rd, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Hi Glates,
    We recommend drinking 16 ounces if you’re using as a meal replacement. But, if you find you’re hungry, definitely add in some nuts, almond butter, coconut oil, avocado to keep you full longer. 🙂

21. Glates

July 4th, 2014 at 1:36 am

Thank you Shauna. Will give it a try!!!

22. Lynn

July 2nd, 2014 at 10:14 am

My question is on how to freeze spinach and kale, I thought green stuff turned black when frozen. Very new to this, but hubby and I are loving it. Thanks.

23. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

July 3rd, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I just toss my bag into the freezer when my greens are looking like they’re going to go bad.

But you can measure them out and put in a zip bag and toss in the freezer.

Either way works. 🙂

24. Valerie

July 3rd, 2014 at 6:04 pm

This is my first day and all the pre preparing ideas are awesome!
    Valerie

25. SGS Rawkstar Shauna

July 3rd, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Awesome Valerie! 😉

26. Kathy Durling

July 6th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I have used the green smoothies for a week now. For the first few days my stomach was upset and I just did not feel right. I read where I should drink a lot of water before and after the smoothie. So I did that and it seemed to help. Also read where the feeling could be from my body detoxifying. Please explain to me how blending spinach and fruit makes my body detoxify? If I ate those foods – whole, would I have the same effect? Thanks, Kathy Durling

27. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 7th, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Hey Kathy!

Our bodies are in a constant battle of fighting processed foods that contain harmful toxins. We have systems set in place inside of us that filter out these toxins so we can stay clean and healthy. Though it is tough to avoid harmful toxins altogether, it is important not to ingest high amounts that can cause build-up and stress to the organs that work to keep us in good health. So, how can we help out our filtering friends? Detox with herbs— which is your challenge for the week.

Detoxifying herbs clean our bodies’ filters, and they are healthy foods with lots of nutrients. This also means we aren’t putting harmful toxins and gunk into our bodies in the first place. When we help our bodies’ filters and eliminate our harmful toxin input we set ourselves up for a clean and healthy life. To help you detox we have made a list of our favorite herbs, what each of them does for your body, and how you can use them in a simple green smoothie.

28. Melinda

July 7th, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Can you grow all the herbs at home and how many leaves do you put in ?

29. Jessie

July 6th, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Has anyone ever froze cucumber and celery like this. Thanks

30. Jenna

July 7th, 2014 at 6:24 am

I have frozen cucumbers for awhile now. Works great!

31. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 7th, 2014 at 8:27 am

Glad to hear!

32. Jessie

July 7th, 2014 at 11:41 am

Thanks for the reply.

33. Rochelle

July 18th, 2014 at 12:54 pm

can I make a gallon and freeze portions ahead for those times when I’m traveling or can’t make?

34. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 21st, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Sure! Go for it!

35. Glendar

July 19th, 2014 at 6:51 pm

What kind of product do you wash the greens and fruit with?

36. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 27th, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Hey Glendar,

Here is an article that should help with your question:

37. Glendar

July 19th, 2014 at 6:54 pm

What kind of products do you use to wash the produce (greens, fruits and veggies.

38. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 21st, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hey Glendar! Check out this link for all this washing your fruits and veggies! 🙂 https://simplegreensmoothies.com/healthy-eating/washing-produce

39. Toni

July 23rd, 2014 at 9:59 am

When I am prepping to freeze ahead of time, can I put everything I need for the smoothie (other than liquid) in the jar? For example, can I add carrots, hemp seeds, maca powder, etc … do they all freeze okay?

Thank you very much for this site … I am hooked after 2 days of green smoothies! I used to think they looked disgusting and now I am amazed by how good they taste. I think my kids will be hooked too once they try them.

40. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 27th, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Hey Toni!

Yes, you can freeze it all. We like to say “Fresh is best, but Frozen is a close second” So go for it, and ENJOY! 🙂

41. Megan

July 27th, 2014 at 9:38 am

If I freeze an individual smoothie recipe in a ziploc bag, do the contents freeze as one big glob? In other words, how will I fit the frozen contents into the jar of my blender? I use the nutri ninja,so it is not a big blender pitcher that is wide enough to hold frozen contents in the shape of a ziploc bag.

42. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

July 27th, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Yes, it will freeze in one piece, sometimes. Before blending, thaw for a few minutes on the counter or in warm water. The fruit and greens will come out of the jar/bag easier too.

Hope that helps.

43. Khurshid Rogers

August 6th, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I’ve never used Romaine lettuce in smoothies but heard it can be an option. Do you know if Romaine freezes nicely?
    Thanks in advance!

44. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 6th, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Hi Khurshid!

Yes you can freeze Romaine, we like it fresh better. If freezing it works better for you, go for it. 🙂

45. Monika

August 16th, 2014 at 1:35 am

How do you take the ingredients out of the jar if they are frozen?
    Does it take a while?
    Thanks!

46. Murfee

August 26th, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I used to make smoothies for breakfast, I froze the preparations in quart in slider-lock bags and put them in the freezer flatways. That way I could lay the frozen flat bag on a plate to soften while showering. Then I moved the slider slightly, inserted a straw and headed for the bus stop. The bags are easily disposed into trash bins,
    If I had a extra large mixture, the remainder was brought along in my lunch tote for morning break or lunch which helped me to order sensibly at the corp’s lunch counter. Just another option. I am looking forward to your recipes because I burned out on my single recipe.

47. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

August 27th, 2014 at 5:36 am

Thanks for the tips, Murfee! We are glad you found us, enjoy our recipes and don’t forget to sign up for the October 30-Day Challenge: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge

48. Pam

September 18th, 2014 at 9:40 am

ooh thats a good idea for crazy mornings

49. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 18th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

🙂 Glad you enjoy this post! 🙂

50. BT

October 30th, 2014 at 2:07 pm

what a shame to be so wasteful with plastic. i prefer more sustainable packaging. i’m looking after myself, and the planet too!

51. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

October 30th, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Hey BT. We love our reusable Ball Mason Jars and reusing and Ziplock baggies for green smoothies. 🙂

52. Shefyl

August 31st, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I have seen coconut oil mentioned several times. I have the solid form. Do i add it like that or melt it? Can it be frozen also?

53. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 1st, 2014 at 6:34 am

Hey Shefyl.

Yes you can use it in the solid form or freeze it with your prep ahead items. I wouldn’t melt it, it might make you smoothie warm. 🙂

54. Lin

September 20th, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Hi, looking forward to the October challenge, what ingredients do I need to get in to be ready to follow your recipes?

Lin. X

55. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 22nd, 2014 at 10:46 am

Hey Lin.

Thanks for joining us. Once you have signed up here: https://simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge you will be on our email list. We will send out shopping list and recipes later this week, so you will be ready for the October 1st start date. 🙂

56. Carol

September 21st, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Hi,
    I want to try the green tea smoothie. I want to know if I make the tea first and and it as the liquid, or do I use the tea grains.

Thanks.

Carol

57. SGS Rawkstar Jessie

September 22nd, 2014 at 10:47 am

Hey Carol.

Great question. We make the tea first. Let it cool. Then add it to your green smoothie. 🙂

1 2 3 4 5 6 17
Plant-Based Warrior Bars
Citrus Breeze Vegan Smoothie
Vegan Tacos (Inspired By Austin, TX)
4 Best Detox Herbs for Green Smoothies