We love sipping on healthy hot chocolate. It's downright a necessity when it's chilly and the only thing that sounds nice is cuddling up to some Netflix and a comfy blanket. We love our hot chocolate recipe from Let's Eat, but we also love this hot chocolate green smoothie made with fresh spinach and hazelnuts. It's proof you can have your green smoothie and dessert in one. Mmm! #yesplease
If you're a fan dark, thick, rich hot chocolate, then this recipe is definitely for you! It's kind of a game changer, honestly. It's naturally sweetened with dates and gets its chocolatey flavor from one of our favorite superfoods, raw cacao powder. Does that packaged hot chocolate have vitamin K, iron, and antioxidants? Yeah, we didn't think so.
HAZELNUT HOT CHOCOLATE GREEN SMOOTHIE
- 2 cups spinach fresh
- 2 cups almond or coconut milk warmed
- 1 ripe pear peeled and cored (optional)*
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 4 tablespoon medjool dates or 1 maple syrup
- 2-4 tablespoons cacao powder to taste (use more for a dark chocolate flavor)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped coconut cream and chopped hazelnuts for topping (optional)
- Blend spinach and almond or coconut milk until smooth.
- Next add the remaining ingredients, except whipped coconut cream and garnishes. If using a high speed blender, start blending again on low speed working up to high speed. Allow to blend for 3-5 minutes, or until very hot. If using a regular blender, blend until smooth and heat gently on the stove or transfer to mugs and heat in microwave.
Note: Use caution when blending hot liquids. Be sure to let the lid vent so the liquid doesn't leak and splatter. Blend on low speed, working up to high speed until smooth.
*The pear adds additional sweetness and makes the smoothie thicker, but it tastes great without, too, for a thinner hot chocolate.
Ready to say “Yes!” to your health in the New Year?! Join us for our FREE Simple 7 Challenge including recipes and shopping list right in your inbox. Find out more here.