This watermelon smoothie is a cool + sweet thirst quencher that you’ll be sipping all summer. A vibrant red smoothie loaded with antioxidants and hydration.
Want a refreshing, vitamin-packed smoothie that doubles as a kid-pleasing snack? This watermelon smoothie is a cool and sweet thirst quencher that you’ll be sipping on all season long. Packed with watermelon, cherries and strawberries, this quintessential summer smoothie is quick and easy to make and perfect for freezing as popsicles.
With just four simple ingredients, you’re on your way to an invigorating, naturally-sweetened, healthy summer treat.
Table of Contents
5 Watermelon Smoothie Tips
- Since watermelon is over 90% water by weight, you don’t need to add any extra liquid or ice to this smoothie.
- Use seedless watermelon for this recipe. No need to spend all day picking out watermelon seeds!
- Using frozen cherries and frozen strawberries rather than fresh ones yields a cool and frosty drink. If using fresh, add ice cubes to the blender.
- Serve this smoothie immediately after making it. The longer it sits, the more the watermelon separates from the other ingredients.
- Want popsicles? Freeze the smoothie in freezer pop molds to make homemade popsicles for the kids.
Health Benefits of a Summer Smoothie
Summer is overflowing with nutrient-dense produce. Take advantage of these ruby red, antioxidant-rich ingredients!
Watermelon has high water content, so it’s the perfect fruit for hydration. All that water doesn’t mean it’s lacking in powerful antioxidants. Watermelon actually has about 40% more lycopene than raw tomatoes. Lycopene can help curb your risk of cancer and heart disease as well as offers some protective effects against damaging UV rays.
Strawberries add filling fiber to this watermelon smoothie as well as vitamin C and other beneficial antioxidants. Blood sugar regulation, reducing heart disease risk and boosting immunity are just some of the health benefits of adding strawberries to your diet.
Cherries are also high in fiber and loaded with antioxidants. These powerful antioxidants may protect against cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes as well as Alzheimer’s. Anti-inflammatory compounds in cherries may help reduce muscle pain and damage.
Watermelon Smoothie FAQs
My watermelon smoothie blends cherries, watermelon, strawberries and lime. It’s super refreshing and antioxidant-loaded!
Yes! When using any kind of melon in a smoothie, I cut back on the amount of liquid. Watermelon contains enough water on its own that you don’t need any more liquid. Also, don’t forget to remove the seeds!
Watermelon acts as both the liquid and fruit in a smoothie. If you freeze the watermelon, be sure to add extra liquid to help it blend well.
More Summer Beverage Recipes
If you loved sipping my watermelon smoothie then check out these other excellent fruit smoothie options to cool down on a hot day:
- Spinach Banana Smoothie
- Mixed Berry Smoothie
- Pineapple Green Smoothie
- Orange Julius Smoothie
- Tropical Smoothie
- Cherry Beet Smoothie
- Summer Melon Smoothie
- Mango Green Smoothie
- Strawberry Blueberry Smoothie
- Pineapple Smoothie
- Blackberry Smoothie
- Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie
- Peach Probiotic Smoothie
Summer is the perfect time to stock up on fresh produce. You can freeze it to use to enjoy summer smoothies all winter long, or freeze smoothie packs to enjoy as well.
Will you rate + review this recipe once you’ve tried it? I so value your feedback!
Summer Watermelon Smoothie
- ¼ cup cherries frozen
- 2 cups watermelon chopped
- ¼ cup strawberries frozen
- ½ lime peeled
- 1 tbsp chia seeds optional
- 1 serving homemade protein powder optional
- Add watermelon, strawberries, cherries and lime juice to the blender.
- Blend on high speed until nice and smooth.
- Pour into cups and sprinkle with chia seeds on top.
- Use seedless watermelon if you don’t have time to pick out the seeds before blending.
- If using frozen watermelon, thaw ahead of time or add 1/2 cup liquid to help it blend well.
- To lower the natural sugar, swap the cherries out for blueberries or raspberries, or add in a plant based protein powder to help your body process the natural sugar.
Delicious! I love the lime and watermelon.
This was too watery. I expected a huge watermelon flavor and was pleasantly surprised that the watermelon was not overwhelming. I wouldn’t buy watermelon to add to a smoothie again, but if watermelon is in the frig I may add it to a smoothie again.
Tangy and refreshing!
Loved loved loved it! Super tasty and refreshing!
I totally forgot to post the first two days. What could be better than watermelon strawberries and cherries. It was so good.. these smoothies are perfect for this time of year.
Loved this one! The right amount of sweet and tart. And very refreshing!
We really liked this watermelon smoothie! I added protein powder. Never tried to blend watermelon without added water before, so I learned something new.
We really liked this watermelon smoothie!
We all love it!
I love anything with watermelon, so I knew I’d like it. It’s a refreshing drink, but not as filling as other smoothies.
This was an interesting one. Not sure I loved it, but it wasn’t bad, just different.
Very good & really refreshing! I love watermelon in the summer for keeping me hydrated.
If you are looking for a refresher on a hot day, this smoothie fits the bill. The lime balances the sweetness of the other fruits and gives it a bright flavor. This smoothie is on the lighter side. For me, it is better suited as a snack than a meal replacement.
This smoothie is so refreshing and delicious! I have blended it 3 times already because I love it so much!