FAQ’s

FAQ’s

I know how overwhelming it can be when getting started with green smoothies. It’s totally normal and I promise it’s actually really really simple! You can get the answers to common green smoothies questions below:

What type of blender do you use?

Jen: I believe that any blender will work when making a green smoothie. So start with what you have and work your way up when the time is right. When I first started blending green smoothies, I used a Waring blender that I got for my wedding. It was a $70 blender that worked okay. It turned my produce into a smoothie, yet it did leave chunks of spinach in my smoothie and it was very loud. Yet it got me started and I made my daily green smoothie with it for over a year. When it finally died and I went online and bought a refurbished Vitamix 5200 for $329. It came within a week and blends like a beast — no spinach leaf is left unblended when this bad boy is done. Best decision I ever made when it comes to green smoothies. I love my Vitamix so much!

The SGS Team: Our other team members use a variety of other blenders. You can find our comprehensive Blender Guide here. Some us are Team Blendtec. Some of us are Team Kitchen Aid. Others are all about the Vitamix. (We just love our blenders!)

Need a cheap blender?

We polled our Green Smoothie community and found some AWESOME affordable blenders that will help you if Vitamix and Blendtec are a tad pricey for you at the moment. Check it out: Best Blenders under $120.

How many servings do your recipes make?

Our smoothie recipes make about 4-5 cups (32oz – 40oz). Some of us drink at least 2 cups (16 oz) everyday in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement. Jen drinks hers for lunch or sometimes as a mid-morning snack. Since green smoothies are full of fiber, they keep us full for awhile. If we need an afternoon pick-me-up, we have been known to make another green smoothie later in the day instead of drinking a caffeinated beverage.

Do I have to follow the recipe exactly, or can I switch out an ingredient or two?

Of course you can change up the recipes! All of our recipes are meant to inspire you to eat and live healthy, not to burden you with fruits/veggies that you can’t get your hands on, you don’t like, or are allergic to. Some recipes are made for specific purposes (i.e. detoxifying, immunity boosting, etc.) and need more specific replacements, but most are made to simply taste great and give your body access to fresh and raw ingredients. If there are adjustments that would make our recipe work better for you, then go for it!

Can I store my green smoothie in the fridge?

Some people say you have to drink it “right away” to get the optimal nutrients from each blend. But if left in the fridge overnight for one to three days, the taste and satisfaction is still there. You also may want to add a small amount of lemon juice to preserve and keep the smoothie blend as fresh as possible. Your body is still reaping the benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables even if it is not consumed right away.

What are chia seeds and where can I get them?

We are obsessed with these tiny little crunchy seeds. We sprinkle them on top of smoothies, or put them inside our oatmeal with almond butter and almond milk. Many people ask what are the health benefits of chia seeds? Is there a difference between black chia seeds and white chia seeds? And where can I buy chia seeds? We have answered all your awesome questions right here: 6 Reasons Why We Love Chia Seeds.

Do you have a good recipe for weight loss?

If you want to burn fat, you want to include plant-based smoothie ingredients that have the following weight loss effects:

• jump start your digestion
  • burn excess fat
  • reduce and expel bad cholesterol
  • provide energy for your cardiovascular system
  • detox and hydrate your body
  • promote healthy bowel movement
  • decrease your appetite for processed foods and sugars

The Kiwi Berry Punch is a low-calorie, nutrient-dense smoothie recipe that combine the best fruits and veggies for an optimal approach to healthy weight loss.

The best part about a green smoothie–  you can use a smoothie as a low-calorie meal replacement because they are full of fiber which keeps your body feeling fuller longer. And if you want to take your health to the next level, we recommend checking out our Fresh Start: A 21-Day Cleanse (click the link to learn more).

Does adding leafy greens make the smoothie taste bitter or weird?

As long as you follow the 60/40 formula (60% fruits; 40% leafy greens), you should not be able to taste the green veggies in your smoothies. The fruits naturally mask the taste– and bananas are the perfect natural sweetener for any green smoothie packed with spinach, kale, or other leafy green.

How do I make my smoothie “smooth” without leafy chunks?

If you have a high-speed blender, you will always have a perfectly smooth smoothie. But don’t let that stop you from making green smoothies if you have a regular blender. Healthy lifestyle choices can be made on any budget. My favorite tip to share about green smoothies is to blend your leafy greens and liquids first (water, almond or cashew milk, or coconut water) until you get a juice-like consistency. You should be able to achieve this texture in 30 to 60 seconds. Once you have blended all of the leafy greens, then you can add the remaining ingredients. Let me know if this works for you.

I’ve got a sweet tooth— can I add a sweetener to my green smoothie?

We find that using whole fruits as natural sweeteners is the best way to sweeten your green smoothies. If you like the taste of bananas, you can add an extra banana or two whenever your smoothie is not sweet enough. Other natural sweeteners are dates and figs, which provide nutrients and fiber as well as a super sweet taste to your smoothie recipe. Some other alternatives are 100% fresh squeezed fruit juices, raw honey and 100% maple syrup.

Although you may add these sugar substitutes to your recipes, you will find that we do not add any sugars or sweeteners to our smoothie recipes unless it is a natural whole fruit. And please stay away from “0 calorie” sweeteners, they are made of artificial ingredients like aspartame which is so toxic to your body.

This smoothie is perfect for your sweet tooth: Almond Butter and “Jelly”

How do I clean my blender?

The easiest and fastest way to clean your blender is to immediately give it a quick rinse with warm water after use (a tiny drop of soap is optional). If you are in a hurry, fill your blender with water, until you are ready to wash it. If you are in a super duper rush, and you let your blender sit with no water, fill your blender 3/4 full with warm water and soap and give it a nice scrub on the insides. Place it back on your blender stand and turn the blender on for 30 seconds— It’s like a mini-dishwasher.

I’m on a tight budget— how can I get inexpensive produce?

If you are new to eating a lot of fruits and veggies, your grocery bill may be a little shocking with the extra fresh and frozen produce purchases. Over time, you will eliminate a lot of processed food items which will in turn bring your grocery bill back to normal. But here are a few quick tips to saving money on produce.

• Make a shopping list: making a weekly meal planning list that covers what you will eat on a daily basis will help you only buy what you need. Make sure to include snacks in your meal plan and shopping list too.
  • Buy seasonal fruit and veggies: purchasing produce is in season is typically cheaper. And if you see a good deal on fresh fruits and veggies, purchase in bulk and freeze for future smoothies.
  • Buy out of season fruits frozen: Costco and Sam’s Club sell large bags of organic frozen fruit at good prices. If your freezer can accommodate bags in bulk, take advantage of making these purchases.
  • Buy from local fruit stands, farmer’s markets and CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture): For the tastiest and most fresh organic produce, buy locally. Not only has the produce been grown and harvested close to home, but buying locally also helps our environment buy eliminating the time and resources needed to deliver. Visit, www.LocalHarvest.org to find your local farm, farmers markets, and other local food sources.
  • Follow the EWG’s Dirty Dozen: this list will help you know what is worth getting organic and what you can buy conventional.

“Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it.” —Josh Billings

Where can I buy those mason jars you use?

We adore mason jars for our green smoothies, feel free to visit our Amazon shop for mason jars, cups, cool lids, and other smoothie essentials by clicking here.  And don’t forget you can always wash out a spaghetti sauce jar for green smoothie mason jars too— that’s Jen signature move.

I am allergic to bananas (or pineapple, or mango, or…) what can I substitute with?

Got an allergy or an aversion to some fruits? Swap it out with a fruit that you love and adore. Can’t eat bananas? Switch it with more mango, peach, papaya, pear or an apple to sweeten it up. Or an avocado to make it thick and creamy.

Can’t do pineapples? Double up another ingredient already in the smoothie. If something calls for 1 cup of something you just can’t eat, swap it with 1 cup of a fruit you can eat. Mixed berries and mixed fruit bags that are frozen are a great replacement ingredient.

The best part is playing mini-chef with your blender. Not one smoothie will please everybody, but we promise over the next 30 days you will find a recipe that is your go-to smoothie. It will be the one you make for your friends and family and make them a green smoothie lover too. So explore, experiment, and smile!

Check out these yummy banana-free green smoothie recipes!

878 comments

Ceretta 1.15.2016 - 10:31 pm

Ladies,

I would love to partake in the smoothie craze; however, I’m a type 2 diabetic. How can your recipes be modified to meet my dietary requirements which basically frowns on fruits?

SGS Rawkstar 1.18.2016 - 8:03 am

Hi Ceretta,

Thank for reaching out to us. Since we are not doctors or nutritionists, we suggest that any member of community with health concerns to speak to their healthcare provider to confirm that green smoothies and the natural sugars are okay for their eating plan. Here is a link to our favorite low sugar fruits.

Hope that helps.

Akilah 1.15.2016 - 6:39 am

I’m super excited in starting the 30-day challenge. I know I’m late in the game, but better late than never!

Can I use green tea as a liquid base instead of just water?

Thanks!

SGS Rawkstar 1.15.2016 - 8:52 am

Hi Akilah,

Of course! We love switching up our liquid bases and especially love blending with green tea! Learn more here…

Asari Pounder 1.15.2016 - 6:06 am

Hi. I have just joined the challenge. I am looking forward to seeing some changes and becoming more healthy. My concern is that I have diabetes types 2 and the amount of sugar in the smoothies seem a lot for someone like me. What smoothie recipes would be better for me to try or what tips can you give to adapt some of the recipes to be more diabetic friendly?

SGS Rawkstar 1.15.2016 - 8:51 am

HI Asari,

Hope that helps.

Jane 1.14.2016 - 8:30 am

Hi! I’m doing the challenge this month and it’s just me drinking the smoothies. They are starting to accumulate in my fridge.
Is it OK to half the recipes? I just can’t drink them fast enough and I enjoy them fresh much more.
Seems like a simple (ha) question, but thanks

SGS Rawkstar 1.14.2016 - 9:20 am

Hi Jane,

Of course! I halve our recipes every day when using my NutriBullet! Feel free to adjust our recipes to meet your needs! Even though a super supply of green smoothies sounds great to us!

Want to store those green smoothies? Pop them in your freezer in a freezer safe-airtight container, they’ll keep for 2-4 weeks. And when you’re ready to enjoy simply thaw them in your refrigerator overnight.

Cheers 🙂

Jane 1.15.2016 - 10:09 am

Thanks, I wasn’t sure I could freeze them. I think I’ll give it a try after I get some new containers for the freezer.

SGS Rawkstar 1.15.2016 - 11:30 am

And just a quick FYI. Because our recipes don’t have any yucky additives or stabilizers separation is completely natural when thawing. So give your smoothie a quick shake before enjoying!

KT 1.12.2016 - 12:52 pm

I am wondering, if you pack 2 cups of spinach, how much does that translate to veggie servings (aka FDA recommended 2.5 servings of veggies a day)?
Thanks,

SGS Rawkstar 1.12.2016 - 2:35 pm

Hi KT,

Great question! 2 cups of raw leafy greens is equal to 1 veggie serving!

Hope this helps!

KT 1.15.2016 - 6:20 am

So— yes, that is what the interweb says. But, I am wondering if that is the case here (that a batch of smoothies is one serving of veggies) because we pack the cups. If I were to loosely measure the spinach, it would be 6-7 cups before I pack it into 2.
I suppose it doesnt hurt to under estimate, but I would think the guidelines of raw leafy greens being 2 cups to one serving isnt measuring a tightly packed cup, instead it is likely assuming a salad.
Thoughts?

SGS Rawkstar 1.15.2016 - 9:00 am

Hi KT,

I tried my best and unfortunately can’t find any research on how many vegetable servings a tightly packed cup of leafy greens compares to a loosely packed cup of leafy greens. Wish we could be more help!

KT 1.27.2016 - 6:52 am

Hey, so since I never can stand not knowing something, I asked USDA. They responded that 60g is 1 cup of veggies (people are supposed to get 2.5 cups of veggies a day). I got out a kitchen scale, and lo and behold, I do tightly pack in 60 g into each cup of spinach. Thus, the green smoothies contain 2 (1 cup) servings of veggies a day. Depending on how you pack it of course, but nice to know that splitting with my husband we each get a full serving of veggies and all our fruit for the day! (I use half a cup of fruit juice to sweeten and add an extra half cup of fruit so that there is 4 total cups of fruit in the smoothies, and reduce the total liquid including the fruit juice to 1 cup).
Thought you would like to know, in case you want to include some of that info in your marketing/nutrition sections in the future. It is a great benefit to know that you can have a smoothie in the morning, and a small salad with lunch or dinner and you have eaten all of your fruits and veggies for the day!
Thanks for the recipes,

SGS Rawkstar 1.27.2016 - 9:18 am

You’re a total RAWKSTAR, KT! Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your findings!

Anamaria 1.10.2016 - 10:45 pm

Hi, i have to ask , if i use beet root with green smoothie ,is it bad ? I am doing this smoothie with beet root , carrot and apple , i want to change to green smoothie but i don’t want to stop the beet root .

SGS Rawkstar 1.11.2016 - 5:08 pm

Hi Anamaria,

We love blendin’ with beets! Learn why and check out some of our favorite recipes here…

Talisa 1.8.2016 - 6:56 am

Hi, I’m new to using a Fitbit and have just started recording what I eat to see if I can get a better handle on my calorie intake and burn. Do you have a listing of how many calories are in each of your recipes so that I can log my smoothies correctly?

Let me know!! LOVING my smoothies (or at least most of them)! My new years resolution is to try some with kale versus spinach so that I have more than just one ‘go to’ green 🙂

Thanks!

SGS Rawkstar 1.8.2016 - 9:53 am

Hi Talisa,

We personally don’t count calories, so we don’t include them in our recipes at this time. You’ll find that when you consume more nourishing whole fruits and veggies, you will not only feel full longer, but you’ll also have lessened cravings for high-calorie, nutritionally empty foods. So in the end it balances out. But we know many people would like to have calorie info. Three great resources for tracking calories are Self Nutrition Data, and the phone apps: My Fitness Pal and Lose It.

New to kale? Try going 50/50 to start! Blend 50% kale with 50% spinach…it’s a great way to introduce new greens to your green smoothies!

Cheers 🙂

Traci 1.8.2016 - 6:22 am

Love the recipe ideas but where can I find calories for them? I’d like to lose weight so watching the calories is important. Thanks!

SGS Rawkstar 1.8.2016 - 9:52 am

Hi Traci,

Claire 1.5.2016 - 4:08 am

Hi, im trying to sign up for the 30 day challenge, but the website is taking me round in circles and not allowing me to submit my details. is it too late to join the challenge?

SGS Rawkstar 1.5.2016 - 11:30 am

Hi Claire,

Oh no! We’re so sorry you’re having trouble joining our challenge! We definitely want you blendin’ with us right away! Send a quick message to our team at the link below and they’ll have you set up in no time!

Cheers 🙂

Ashlee 1.3.2016 - 9:48 pm

Just wanting to know if you have any smoothies for people with IBS. I struggle to find any smoothies that are low FODMAP.

Please help as I love smoothies!!

SGS Rawkstar 1.4.2016 - 4:55 am

H Ashlee,

Thanks for reaching out! We suggest any member of our community with health concerns work with their doctor to ensure our recipes are the right choice for you + your body. After speaking with your doctor, if he/she suggests specific fruits, veggies, + leafy greens to add to your diet we would be more than happy to help point you in the correct direction, as we currently don’t have specific low FODMAP recipes.

Thanks for blendin’ with us!

1 32 33 34 35 36 43